SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > worst possible ops team

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2015 12:29AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1098 comments Mod
Bob Dylan
Father Mulcahey
Benson
Benson,mum
Susan Strasberg

etc?

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Spiro Agnew
Waylon Flowers & Madam
Jethro Bodine
Tiny Tim
Rich Little

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Gilligan
Whit Bissell
Buddy Ebsen
Bob Newhart
Lola Falana

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Roger Ebert
Tommy Chong
Louis Prima
Ray Charles
Stevie Nicks

message 5: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 196 comments Jimmie Carter (The ex-President)
Jim Carrey
Larry
Curlie
Moe

message 6: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 29, 2015 07:33PM) (new)

good1

another selection:

Rip Taylor
Billy Carter (president's brother)
John Boy Walton
Joan Collins
Tony Randall
Spalding Gray

message 7: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Bo Bergdahl
Jessica Lynch
John Kerry
Nidal Malik Hasan

led by Denny Green

message 8: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

ha! ha!

lmao

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

What about that team of British seamen who got nabbed by the Iranians some years ago? Oh lawdy, how embarrassing when the pics were revealed

message 10: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Still...us Yanks have our own debacles. I STILL do not know went wrong when our boys tried to rescue hostages from our outpost in Tehran that time. A travesty!

message 11: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Someone in this group actually brought that one up, and had some good insights. It strikes me much as the Bay of Pigs, or the entire Vietnam deployment, in that the leadership at the top (CinC/Executive Branch) had a priority other than victory; and their meddling set up the men involved for failure.

message 12: by Samuel (last edited May 11, 2015 10:48PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments George Galloway
Ed Miliband
Marie Harf
Sarah Palin

OR

The FBI Task force from NBC's crime/conspiracy thriller drama "The Blacklist", a team which no sane person would desire a place on. They are incompetent to a nightmarish degree and only get by due to an independent contractor attached to them. Said independent contractor is a wealthy, charming, well dressed businessman. He's also a rogue officer from the office of naval intelligence, a professional criminal and one of the most accomplished silver tongued manipulators on network TV who has made it a hobby of his to "guide" his FBI playthings in the direction he wishes them to. Honestly, while CTU had more sleeper agents, they also had more competent operators on their staff than these fools combined.

message 13: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Corbyn
Blair
Kendall
Burnham.

message 14: by Sirius (new)

Sirius Alexander (Sirius_Alexander) | 40 comments Me
Homer Simpson
Father Ted
Tony Blair

message 15: by Samuel (last edited Aug 24, 2015 12:55PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Larry Moss
Nina Myers
Grant Ward
Stephanie Meyer
El James

Two of these are not like the others....

message 16: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2015 10:51PM) (new)

I don't know very many of these names, unfortunately

..and when people say 'Homer Simpson' to me, my first thought is Nathaniel West and 'The Day of the Locust'

message 17: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "Larry Moss
Nina Myers
Grant Ward
Stephanie Meyer
El James

Two of these are not like the others...."

Two traitors who would backstab the others at the first opportunity a obstructive bureaucrat and a pair of hacks who have managed to leverage media attention into making oceans of money.

message 18: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Although, honestly, they don't compare to the circus on the NBC crime/conspiracy drama "The Blacklist". The team no sane person would want to be on.
The idiocy they do on an episode by episode basis would have gotten them all fired by the FBI in real life before they even solved their first case.
They only get by due to employing a well dressed, competent, charming scumbag who runs rings around them on a daily basis.

message 19: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

the shrews from 'The View'

message 20: by Samuel (last edited Aug 27, 2015 02:22AM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Question for this thread.
Incompetents or traitors.
In a fictional team, which
would cause/normally causes more damage?

message 21: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Incompetents are only effective if they're in upper management...and most fictional traitors aren't fast enough in killing off the threat to them.

message 22: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 196 comments Traitors could cause much more damage, simply by telling the enemy where to find you.

message 23: by Samuel (last edited Aug 27, 2015 06:49PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments For fictional traitors on a team though, there's a balancing act. Once the casualties hit a certain number, the list of suspects get thinned out, and then the suspicions get spiked. So for them it's either to hope for a clean sweep or being able to toe the line after picking off people one by one and then finish off the rest before they can put two and two together.

However, I agree that it's a different matter if said traitor is safely in the top brass, (think Philby and the work he did to annihilate the anti-communist Albanian partisan project the CIA and SIS ran in the 50's) More chances to buy time and muddy the waters as long as you don't disintegrate from any vices or breaches of tradecraft.

message 24: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments I suppose on a fictional team, as long as the incompetents aren't commanding and are subordinate, the potential damage is eliminated.

message 25: by Michel (last edited Aug 27, 2015 07:20PM) (new)

Michel Poulin | 196 comments Unfortunately, it seems that in real life the incompetents are nearly always in the upper echelons, while the pros in the field have to compose with their idiotic orders and micro-management. Why so? Because, in my opinion, the higher you go in an intelligence organization, the more chance you will encounter political appointees parachuted in as a favor from some big wig (or even THE big cheese). Also, when in the upper echelons, it is a lot easier to put the blame on your subalterns if you do a screwup. Sorry if I sound cynical, but I am, to a point, when it concerns government business. One fine example of top echelon micro-management is during the Vietnam War, when Secretary of Defense MacNamara and his bunch of think-tank wiz kids reviewed daily air photos of the then besieged base of Khe San and telling the generals that they wanted more sandbags added on a particular section of the perimeter. With such political interference, no wonder the U.S. lost the war.