Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

The Cure for Death by Lightning
This topic is about The Cure for Death by Lightning
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Cure For Death By Lightning > The Cure For Death By Lightning - Who's reading? / Discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I found this on a remainder shelf several years ago and felt a spooky vibe so I bought it. A great read by an original voice from British Columbia. I love finding a new author.

message 2: by Odette (last edited May 04, 2015 02:11PM) (new) - added it

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Thanks, Ramona. It looks like a powerful read.
I'm glad to say my library has a circulating copy of this one. I like books that include (possibly) a coyote spirit, so I'm definitely curious to read it.

(Note: sexual assault trigger warning, based on the Wikipedia description.)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Odette! I don't have my copy any longer (I had to downsize my library last year when I moved) so I probably won't be able to re-read it.

Jalilah | 132 comments I've been really behind in my Endicott reading lately! I still have not read The Priest Fainted: A Novel, but have a library copy now.
The Cure For Death By Lightning looks even more appealing to me. Maybe I should read it instead?

message 5: by Odette (new) - added it

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Hi Jalilah,
Go with the one you're in the mood for - you can always revisit any of the old reading choices (and restart any of the previous discussions if you wish).

Ramona, I relate - I had to do a book purge when I moved as well.

Jalilah | 132 comments Odette wrote: "Hi Jalilah,
Go with the one you're in the mood for - you can always revisit any of the old reading choices (and restart any of the previous discussions if you wish).

Ramona, I relate - I had to do..."

I am almost finished with the Priest fainted and made a few comments in the thread. If a few people would join me so I don't feel like I am having a one-sided conversation with myself, I might make some more! :)
I'd like to read The Cure for Death By Lightning too!

Anne (anna231) | 2 comments I've just finished reading The Cure for Death by Lightening which I found unputdownable. I loved it but am still turning the story over in my mind. I am looking forward to hearing what other members of the group think.

Jalilah | 132 comments Odette wrote: "Thanks, Ramona. It looks like a powerful read.
I'm glad to say my library has a circulating copy of this one. I like books that include (possibly) a coyote spirit, so I'm definitely curious to read..."

Yes there is sexual abuse and rape in it as well as very gory descriptions of animals being killed.

Anna wrote: "I've just finished reading The Cure for Death by Lightening which I found unputdownable. I loved it but am still turning the story over in my mind. I am looking forward to hearing what other me..."

Update yes it's unputdownable! Its an excellent book. Magical and beautiful in parts, brutal and sad in others.

message 9: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 03, 2015 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jalilah | 132 comments Anna wrote: "I've just finished reading The Cure for Death by Lightening which I found unputdownable. I loved it but am still turning the story over in my mind. I am looking forward to hearing what other me..."

Same here! I think this book was really amazing. here's my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I loved it so much that I immediately got the sequel Turtle Valley and started it today.

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne (anna231) | 2 comments I agree with the comments that you make about coyote - I too was under the impression that the First Nation Coyote figure is a trickster rather than malevolent and something to be feared. My knowledge of First Nation culture is very limited though.

Turtle Valley is on my to read list - please post a review when you've finished it.

Jalilah | 132 comments I like this review of The Cure for Death by Lightning:
http://jim-murdoch.blogspot.ca/2010/0...

Ramona Gault | 84 comments Jalilah, Murdoch's review is excellent, very thoughtful. It's been a couple of years since I read 'The Cure," which I had found on a remainder table. It's a shame more of the excellent Canadian writers are so little known in the U.S. My lingering impression of the novel is its authenticity, how the author grounded it in her understanding of Native culture. It's quite a different sensibility from what we American writers come from, and for me, that made it all the more worthwhile. I'm going to get her other novels now. Thanks for finding that review, Jalilah.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.