Start by marking “The Priest Fainted: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Priest Fainted: A Novel

The Priest Fainted: A Novel

Layered with love affairs, long car rides, poignant misunderstandings, moments of wonder, and more, The Priest Fainted is nothing less than the recipe of a young Greek-American woman's life. Using her imagination and the stories passed through her bones as ingredients, Catherine Temma Davidson bls memories, Greek myths, recipes, and family gossip to uncover a hidden histor
Published April 15th 1999 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Priest Fainted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest Fainted

Start your review of The Priest Fainted: A Novel
Sharon
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
With the skill of Arachne, Davidson weaves her own story together with her mother's and grandmother's, to tell a story that spans centuries and continents. This book was especially meaningful to me; Davidson's mother's family comes from the same town in northern Greece that my mother's family comes from. Very likely the two families knew each other, even though they didn't come from the same village. When I first went to Greece in 1969, we paid a visit to Larissa. I rode in a horse-drawn carriag ...more
John
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: greek-interest
At times this book is ... thick. But as a Greek-American, I appreciated a lot of it, even though I think it probably would resonate more for women than men. Still, if you're a Greek-American who's been dragged back "home" to meet your Greek relatives, there's a lot here that'll sound familiar.
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was like ... vegetables. Hard to get through at times, but damn do I feel good now that I've finished it.

Two pages in and I knew this book was meant for curriculum integration, giving me flashbacks to the various specialized literature courses I took in college. I could write a number of papers concerning its heady themes.

Things to know before starting in on this one:

1) The plot is somewhat non-linear… and that’s okay. Such is the case when a main character is struggling to piece tog
Elaine
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
What an amazing spellbinding book! The way the author uses mythology, and the life stories of her mother and grandmother and herself is absolutely magic. The writing is superb. I loved this book and read it in a night.
Elizabeth
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
crazy greek story! made me hungry.
David
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-lit
I really enjoyed this tale of the woman trying to find herself on a Greek island - hey I did it too - but I didn't like the way it ended.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
An extremely interesting memoir.
Makes you think about your own life and the experiences that brought you where you are today.
Kelly
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Truly wonderful. Greece - rites of passage, Greek myths, mothers and daughters, immigrants. Read it!
Cally Jackson
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Very good prose but changes back and forth between her and her mother's stories too much and no real sense of 'plot' I didn't care what happened so stopped halfway through.
Natasja Holben Handy
Good. Not great. But if you're a woman preparing to go to Greece, I think you'll enjoy it.
Katie M.
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I found myself completely unexpectedly captivated by this book.
Norma Bush
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I found the book interesting because I visited Greece in 2004. Otherwise, I probably would not have finished.
Michelle
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A woman's life told in Greek myths. She lives in Greece after having grown up in America and reconnects with her family’s past, particularly her mother’s past.
Virginia Arseni
Sheri Scovil
May 27, 2012
Evangeline York
Jul 02, 2018
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Priest Fainted - Who's reading? / discussion 8 10 May 09, 2015 04:13AM

• The Thirst (Harry Hole, #11)
  • The Drowning (Patrik Hedström, #6)
  • Son Oyun
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • The Nameless
  • Fyrvaktaren (Patrik Hedström, #7)
  • Änglamakerskan (Patrik Hedström, #8)

News & Interviews