Book Talk discussion

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
This topic is about Red Rising
Discussion > Red Rising

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Raquel (Rocki) (raquelgabrielle) | 219 comments Mod
The Earth is dying. Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie. That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.

How did you like it?

message 3: by Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (last edited May 07, 2015 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments I enjoyed it. I'm still struggling with how to write a review on it. It's very Hunger Games isn't it?

What did you think?

yes that is exactly how I described it to Allen I said its hunger games but in war format / school.

Who was your favorite character through out the book? I think mine has to be Sevro.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Raquel wrote: "Who was your favorite character through out the book? I think mine has to be Sevro."

Sorry! Was at the lake all weekend and I forgot to reply! I like Mustang and Sevro. Both were very self aware and strong.

I hope Mustang doesn't become a problem in the future but I see her helping Darrow I don't think she likes the structure of things any more than he does.

That's okay I can understand that how was the lake?

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Raquel wrote: "I hope Mustang doesn't become a problem in the future but I see her helping Darrow I don't think she likes the structure of things any more than he does.

That's okay I can understand that how was..."

She has a rebellious personality and I think she is a good ally, mostly because Darrow sees her as an equal in all of it.

The lake was awesome. It was the first weekend where the water was warm enough to swim. It was just cold enough to be relaxing and help my back feel better. Got a hell of a sunburn though haha

I'm glad it was relaxing. Hope the sunburn wasn't to bad. I have been wanting to go swimming lately though today would not be a good day for it, it got a little chilly here but I think that is just because of all the rain we had this last week.

I hope some of the characters that Darrow connected with from 'School' are in the next book as well. I will miss Sevro if he is not in there somehow. What do you think of the Jackal?

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Y'all just had all those storms, didn't you? Are you flooding or is that somewhere else?

Sevro balances Darrow out. We have this big manly man (do they or do they not have wings? still confused) and this tiny scrawny man that are equally smart just in different ways. Sevro was awesome. I'll miss him too but I think he has more of a role to play in all of this.

The Jackal...goodness. What a horrible human being. There's a lot to be said for him just doing what he was told and doing his best as Daddy told him but he was cruel. What did you think of him and Mustang?

Yea we did just have lots of storms but we were only flooding the one day we had horrible rain all day. I think a lot of the flooding was more near Oklahoma city I know they had a tornado touch down and what not.

I was confused about that also at first I was like why do they have wings? Just for decoration? or is it like a tattoo or something?

What was the name of that big guy that died? That everyone was sad about... I will miss him he was growing on me near the end.

I was surprised that they were related. At first I thought maybe Mustang was secretly the Jackal or that she knew him or dated him or something but I did not expect that. I also didn't expect her to give up her brother like that. He is a horrible person though he cut off his hand just because to prove he was better. I mean who does that. I hope he gets taken out in the next book.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Raquel wrote: "Yea we did just have lots of storms but we were only flooding the one day we had horrible rain all day. I think a lot of the flooding was more near Oklahoma city I know they had a tornado touch dow..."

Glad all is well there! Those storms have looked crazy and I'm happy you're ok :-D

A lot of details got glossed over in this book and that was a bit disappointing. If they had wings, could they fly? The wings had feathers so I don't think that they are tattoos but it seemed like an added thing that doesn't have any relevance whatsoever.

I can't remember his name either but he was growing on me too. Sort of like a big Andre the Giant character.

I was surprised too but I was expecting a twist of some sort. Maybe he killed someone she knew or something. I didn't expect her to give up her brother either but I'm glad she did. Maybe that means that she can recognize evil? She has a bigger role to play in the next book.

I hope Jackal dies in a stupid preventable way. I hope he makes a mistake and it isn't some big glorious death. He doesn't deserve fame and glory and martyrdom.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Ok, I finally wrote a review on this. It's so difficult to talk about without spoiling it!

I know it is... but it is a very good review never the less.

So are you planning on reading the next one?

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments I think I will but not right away. What about you?

Same

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments It's good but it needs processing time

exactly its not one of those series that I can just marathon through.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* (bwilliams2013) | 169 comments Maybe we can continue the buddy read later

definitely