1984 1984 discussion

What fear would you face in Room 101?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (last edited Apr 25, 2015 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabby I reckon my fear would be isolation of some kind... locked in that room for a few months would be unimaginable.

Duane Being locked in a room with mirrors on the floors ceiling and walls, with Hitlary Clinton and Rosie O'Donut in there with me... both of them Naked.

Geoffrey Or Anne Coulter and Michelle Blahman.

Kressel Housman I'm not going to share my phobia, but the whole concept goes against exposure therapy. Perhaps after that much blatant exposure, the person would become desensitized and lose his fear.

Florin Andrei I don't think they'd take you to Room 101 to keep you in solitary. Also probably not a good idea to tell Big Brother what you phobia is just in case he gets it wrong.

message 6: by Gabby (last edited May 13, 2015 12:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabby Duane wrote: "Being locked in a room with mirrors on the floors ceiling and walls, with Hitlary Clinton and Rosie O'Donut in there with me... both of them Naked."

T'would be deadly

Gabby I reckon they would easily take you to Room 101 to be kept in solitary confinement for a time... it sounds like something the Party would do.

Geoffrey Actually, in answer to the original posted question, I am afraid to say.

Gordon Paisley I'm absolutely terrified of having to sit in a leather recliner, drinking beer and watching football. They can do anything else to me and I'll be fine--if they make me do that, I'll confess to anything they want--eventually.

Duane OOH... YES!!!

NOW you've nailed it.

What if they showed you a pot-gutted unshaven smelly 55-year-old guy in a wifebeater T-shirt, sitting in an equally smelly recliner, drinking beer and watching football, and THEN Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel walked into the room brandishing a syringe and and said "We can turn you into HIM, with ONE INJECTION of this magic potion here"??

You'd probably be willing to set fire to your grandmother in her wheelchair and shove her down the stairs of her nursing home to get out of THAT...

And it would be SO much cheaper than paying an O'Brien to torture you for hours on end day after day...

Excellent, my man - You're *hired*...

message 11: by Glenn (last edited Jun 17, 2015 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenn Goettel When I was six or seven, my father (himself, then, a would-be SF author) made me watch the first season of "The Outer Limits". As we viewed child-friendly episodes like "The Architects of Fear" and "The Belorus Shield", he provided running commentary in the form of speculation and assurance that these twisted things were possible and likely. One night I had a high fever (it turned out to be Rubella) and he forced me to watch the premiere airing of "The Zanti Misfits". It left me with an enduring phobia of pretty much all Hymenoptera. Decades later, I was writing an SF novel which involved hymenopteroid (completely evil) aliens. I wrote in a basement and took my smoke breaks underneath an old wooden porch. At this time, I did much research into collective/individual insect psychology.
The long and short of it was, over the course of a summer, I watched Vespa maculata- white face hornets- build a massive nest, so close before my face I could have touched it with my hand. I was never once stung. I had learned that, in the strange calculus that governs vespid intellect, aside from a direct interaction (always registered as threat), they would only react to an unknown or unprecedented stimulus. And I was out there many times each day (I smoked too much). As had been the motto of South Carolina's public schools, "Knowledge Displaces Fear"; thus I effectively desensitized myself. Curious to note that I had done so by desensitizing Them. Their primary reaction is to symmetry. If anything predominates within their spacetime viewpoint then it registers as unity, which is of course symmetric. I was nothing but an asymmetric algorithm having known and tight parameters of rates of change and movement.
Even so, for me, in Room 101 they would encase my head in a live hornet's nest.
Please don't tell Big Brother.

message 12: by Glenn (last edited Jun 17, 2015 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glenn Goettel Duane wrote: "OOH... YES!!!

NOW you've nailed it.

What if they showed you a pot-gutted unshaven smelly 55-year-old guy in a wifebeater T-shirt, sitting in an equally smelly recliner, drinking beer and watchin..."

-I'm gonna go next door and chill with my dog Carl.
-MEAT-WAD, NO!!!

Geoffrey Being caught in bed with Leonora Helmsley,Phyllis Schafly and Nancy Reagan.

Duane Oh, SO... You're not afraid of BEING in bed with them - In fact, you're implying that you COULD end up there *voluntarily* - You're just afraid of being CAUGHT once you GET there...

So really all we have to do is show you our *PHOTOS* of you in bed with them and you will come *groveling* to our feet *begging* us not to Tweet them - is THAT it???

message 15: by Mkfs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mkfs "What fear would you face in Room 101? "

A briar patch!

Glenn Goettel Mkfs wrote: ""What fear would you face in Room 101? "

A briar patch!"

Briar, briar, pants on fire

Carolina Morales Lots of ennerving people talking shallow minutia of their daily boring existence and I have to pretend I'm not only listening, but also paying attention. Oh wait, seems I'm already on it.

Geoffrey Duane wrote: "Oh, SO... You're not afraid of BEING in bed with them - In fact, you're implying that you COULD end up there *voluntarily* - You're just afraid of being CAUGHT once you GET there...

So really all..."

So you're a blackmailer?

Duane Well, whatever works... I mean, they're cutting the budgets for the Ministry of Truth, so if we can use blackmail instead of outright torture it would save some money...

Geoffrey Besides water is at a premium in California, right?

Duane Well, yeah, but our diabolically clever engineers have developed a recirculation system for the waterboarding machine... "Sustainability" and all that, y'know...

message 22: by Mkfs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mkfs It works better with wastewater, anyways

message 23: by Marie (last edited Jun 25, 2015 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marie Peeples Y'all are funny! Esp Duane.
...Being dragged in there to watch my 1st love hanging is enough.
If they're decent they could at least provide another noose.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

A room full of leeches. I could NOT bear that.

Duane << Duane gets an evil grin on his face... >>

Welfare office?

message 26: by E.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.D. Lynnellen Giving or taking? :}

Duane Just watching would do it to me (but I was referring to Bailey's "room full of leeches"...). "jokes-r-us"
(oh well...)

message 28: by E.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.D. Lynnellen Ahhh...watching the suckers and suckees, eh?

I see. :}

Shannon Duane wrote: "Being locked in a room with mirrors on the floors ceiling and walls, with Hitlary Clinton and Rosie O'Donut in there with me... both of them Naked."
I love this. hahah I feel the same way

Shannon I would never say. Big Brother is everywhere. ;)

Karen Being locked in a room and forced to do never ending Trigonometry equations....my PTSD flares up just thinking about it. Excuse me, now I need a Xanax.

Duane Yeah, trigonometry would be pretty boring... But I was just thinking the other day, when Hitlary locks me up in one of her "Extremist Reconditioning Centers", maybe that will be my opportunity to learn classical mechanics and General Relativity that I SHOULD have studied in kawledge

<< kicks self in the butt again... >>

Karen Lol. Ah geez, one of Hilary's reconditioning centers! That thought is as refreshing as an oasis in the desert. When I get locked up in one of those I will use it to better myself in the study of Quantum Physics and String Theory...two subjects I just could not wrap my mind around, probably because of my poor Calculus skills. Great way to make use of your time my friend!

Mochaspresso Drowning.

Ahlam Why would I tell anybody that :P That wouldn't be so wise now would it?

Thorsten My mother-in-law...

message 37: by Duane (last edited Jul 25, 2015 12:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duane Yeah, well, @Sandy, you should have just gone off and been happy someplace with your witchcraft and your boyfriend and not POLLUTED THIS THREAD with your NIGERIAN SCAM ARTIST CRAP because NOW, I'm in contact with Las muertas Diablas Santerias y los Paleras Mayomberas, GET IT? And going to send you the whole PAnTHEON the Demon Choronzon to Chango himself (?!) and THEY are going to turn YOU into PEANUT BUTTER (And your boyfriend into TAPIOCA PUDDING) (AND your little dog too!) - And make your liver quiver and your bladder splatter and the fuel pump in your car go out!! (And what is going to happen to "Kareem Abhida Muhammad Abdul-Azis al-Duunkuuni McSkyhook", I won't even mention, because it is TOO HORRIBLE for publication...). (But you can look in some medical texts on Genital Reconstruction Microsurgery for a HALF a clue.)

Ready? Steady... Stand by for impact!!

Geoffrey Duane, you're outrageous.

message 39: by E.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.D. Lynnellen Duane wrote: "Yeah, well, @Sandy, you should have just gone off and been happy someplace with your witchcraft and your boyfriend and not POLLUTED THIS THREAD with your NIGERIAN SCAM ARTIST CRAP because NOW, I'm ..."

So..., you're saying I wasted a perfectly good gerbil? :}

Duane Well, I don't know... did the gerbil vote for Obama? If so, it wasn't worth much to begin with, so the notion of "Waste" may be in question...

message 41: by E.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.D. Lynnellen Actually, his name was Hayek...and he professed to be an anarchist with libertarian tendencies. This did not mesh with his belief in Keynesian demand-side expenditures. A very complicated rodent.

He will be missed. :}

message 42: by Geoffrey (last edited Jul 26, 2015 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geoffrey Duane

It's not Chango yourself. It's chinga te. The o at the end of spanish words is first person singular.

Duane Damn, that really is a loss of some magnitude... I mean, you *could* have found *something* of lesser value - perhaps just a right-leaning (but equally conflicted) pocket gopher (I.e., one claiming to be "conservative", but nevertheless found on a golf course?), and achieved the desired result?

Though, I do notice that "Sandy" seems to have vanished in a blinding flash of light, not even leaving so much as a trace of sulphurous vapor in her place, which does attest to the effectiveness of the contents of the medicine bag... I suppose one might view that as a useful result (although my diabolical incantation above, now seems somewhat cast adrift as a result...).

message 44: by Mkfs (last edited Jul 26, 2015 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mkfs Geoffrey wrote: "Duane

It's not Chango yourself. It's chinga te. The o at the end of spanish words is first person singular."

Like in Chinga Unchained.

Geoffrey Duane
Not a pocket gopher but a poltergeist of the highest order. Your truisms are fruitier than a highball in a mountain resort. Try something different. How about a chasm at the bottom of a rodent's heart. If that doesn't work, rally around the auto de fe and enjoy the smokes. It's more relaxing than conjuring up neologisms.