Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Questions/Help Section > What Book(s) Have You Read More Than Once?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn This is kind of a piggyback off of Lily's library topic, but I'm curious what novel(s) you read more than once, or those ones that you have to read once a year (like Christopher Lee with his annual Lord of the Rings reading), etc.

message 2: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn While I typically only purchase/keep books that I'm bound to read again, it often takes me years to do so.

However, I have to reread a Carol Goodman adult novel at least once a year. I own them all so last year it was The Drowning Tree, this year I'm feeling The Ghost Orchid or The Night Villa. They are my comfort/escape books that I never tire of.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Good topic!

Let's see, only books I'll read over and over...

Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Horg
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Rose and the Beast by Fransesca Lia Block
Brother Grimms collected stories
Hans Christian Anderson collected stories

Do comic books and art books count? If so, then...

Sin City by Frank Miller
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
The collected works of Aubrey Beardsley.

All of these books I own, as well as many more, but these are the ones I keep rereading.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments The Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings.
It, the Stand, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Also On Writing.
I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (damn skippy!)

My rereading has dropped because I have so many new things to read :)

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 45 comments I have a few books I'v read twice, but only one or two I've read multiple times. The Lord of the Rings was one when I was young. and more recently J. B. Priestley's Bright Day.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Oh shoot, I forgot to add The Gunglinger series. I knew I was forgetting something. I might add more later... big library, shitty memory.

message 7: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn Oooo, good choices.

I also return to Wuthering Heights, White Oleadner, and Housekeeping a lot. And Ironically, although I love Charlotte Bronte, I've reread April Lindner's Jane more than Jane Eyre; Linder is a nice escape read though; she writes so effortlessly but with deep emotion.

Love The Last Unicorn. Love Lia Block! Love King's On Writing :)

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) King's On Writing is good too, I have the ebook. But for whatever reason, it's not a book I reread.

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 503 comments I can only recall these. When I said I didn't reread much, I meant it.

1-Angel of Vengeance by Trevor Munson (around four years ago)

2-The first three books of The Death Gate series by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (however, the first time I read them was in French while the second time was in English. Does that count? (15-16 years ago)

3-Awaken by Victoria Clapton (I've read it before she published it and once again about six months later when she did.) (this year)

message 10: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments Lily wrote: "King's On Writing is good too, I have the ebook. But for whatever reason, it's not a book I reread."

That's ironic that this book is coming up, I literally just finished it last night and wrote my review minutes ago. Really good book.

I like to reread Stephen King's NIGHT SHIFT and really any of his short story collections. And there are too many comics to list, but I will reread any graphic novels I really like over and over as well.

message 11: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Needful Things by Stephen King Bag of Bones by Stephen King The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4) by Anne Rice Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3) by Terry Pratchett Pyramids (Discworld, #7) by Terry Pratchett Carpe Jugulum (Discworld, #23; Witches #6) by Terry Pratchett Nervous by Zane Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore Tender Mercies by Kitty Thomas Mafia Captive by Kitty Thomas Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
Both the CON series Most of the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Both the Highlander and Fever series by Karen Moning
The Texas Siren series by Sophie Oak
The Locke and Key graphic novels
New Species series by Laurann dohner
Russian Protector series by Roxie Rivera
Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen

*Beams* Trust me there are lots more.....lots!

message 12: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Oh and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) And Shari gives us a visual presentation show. Nicely done.

message 14: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Well I wanted it to look presentable

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Mission accomplished.

message 16: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments And all this time I just thought Shari read hardcore erotica...

Nice selection there Shari!

message 17: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 517 comments Fahrenheit 451 (3! copies)
is my fav. i really dont reread books... but yeah...

message 18: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I wonder what my list would look like?

Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1) by Peter S. Beagle Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman The Rose and the Beast Fairy Tales Retold by Francesca Lia Block Grimm's Grimmest by Jacob Grimm Sin City, Vol. 1 The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1) by Frank Miller The Sandman, Vol. 1 Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) by Neil Gaiman Best Works of Aubrey Beardsley by Aubrey Beardsley The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King

message 19: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Quentin wrote: "And all this time I just thought Shari read hardcore erotica...

Nice selection there Shari!"

Nope not just hardcore erotica. *looks at Quentin* A real friend would have known that if they had searched through my bookshelves *sticks nose in the air*

message 20: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Neat. Though I couldn't find the book I have for Hans Christian Anderson, illustrated collection of stories. It doesn't appear to be on GR.

message 21: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Lily wrote: "I wonder what my list would look like?

Mister God, This is Anna by FynnThe Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1) by Peter S. BeagleSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegAmerican Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman[bookcover..."

Seee. Look how awesome it looks. A few of the covers make me wanna read them now

message 22: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) It does look awesome lol I love my bookshelf :)

message 23: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments Shari-amor wrote: "Quentin wrote: "And all this time I just thought Shari read hardcore erotica...

Nice selection there Shari!"

Nope not just hardcore erotica. *looks at Quentin* A real friend would have known that..."

I'm kidding, I'm kidding, get that nose down! And yes, I like the lists you ladies are making, the covers look cool lined up like that.

message 24: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Otay you are forgiven *hugs* And thank you. And you have lots of comics and graphic novels that I like. I try to check them out at the library if I can. Most of the time I gotta put in an ILL for em.

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Hey, how about a new topic for the Booshelf Selfie game? I'll uplaod a pic of mine if you upload yours.

message 26: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 503 comments A fun thing to do might be to write a story with the titles. One starts with a book and another reply with another done in such way that it makes a sentence, or a story and see how far it can get. Would it reach a happy ending or would it dry out for lack of choices? :P

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Ugh, that sounds like work... lol

message 28: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 380 comments Lily wrote: "Hey, how about a new topic for the Booshelf Selfie game? I'll uplaod a pic of mine if you upload yours."

You can call it "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." Eh? Eh?

message 29: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Quentin wrote: "Lily wrote: "Hey, how about a new topic for the Booshelf Selfie game? I'll uplaod a pic of mine if you upload yours."

You can call it "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." Eh? Eh?"

Yes lol

message 30: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn Everyone's visual lists look so nice, I have to do it, too:
The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman The Ghost Orchid by Carol Goodman The Night Villa by Carol Goodman Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson Jane by April Lindner White Oleander by Janet Fitch

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 44 comments I have quite a few, many of which are Doctor Who New Adventures.

But I also regularly reread The Lord of the Rings and Reaper Man (as well as many other Discworld novels, but Reaper Man is the most consistent.

Oh, and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

message 32: by Jenn (new)

Jenn All the highlander books by Karen Marie Moning. I've read them like 5 times and will be reading them again lol.

Love at first stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks

The Argeneau Vampire series by Linsay Sands

Wings in the Night series by Maggie Shayne

And any book by Shelley Laurenston

message 33: by Gem (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 62 comments Off the top of my head, although there are others.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë , Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy #3) by Jacqueline Carey The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments King's Hearts in Atlantis
Gainman's Smoke and Mirrors (gonna add Fragile Things to that list once I finish it)
Clive Barker's Books of Blood and Abarat
and most likely there's more haha

message 36: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn B. wrote: "I told someone once about my regularly revisiting 1984 and Howards End and she fixed me with an odd look and asked me "then which of the characters are you?" "

What an odd yet wonderful question!

message 37: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn B. wrote: "Tabitha: she was an odd yet wonderful lady! Although, now I reconsider, perhaps she was just calling me a narcissist ... :p"

:P

message 38: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Jenn wrote: "All the highlander books by Karen Marie Moning. I've read them like 5 times and will be reading them again lol.

Love at first stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks

The Argeneau Vampire series by Linsay..."

Aaaw I love Maggie Shayne. I haven't read one of her books in awhile

message 39: by Jacek (new)

Jacek Slay I rarely do read a book more than once. The few significant exceptions:

Zaksięgowani
The Girl Next Door
Off Season

Oh, and there's one book (or, in particular, one story) I read almost every month: a title story from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

message 40: by Jacek (new)

Jacek Slay Hm. "The Girl Next Door" is one of my favourite books ever because of the topic and the way it's presented. "Off Season"... I first tried to read it in English, I failed heavily, then read it in Polish (since I've heard a very positive opinion so just needed to see it myself), then re-read it in English. Same thing - the topic and the way the story is told appeals to me.

There's also another thing - as an author, I really appreciate Ketchum's workshop (as it is a direction I would want my writing to go) so re-reading his works lets me concentrate on the way he tells the story rather than the story itself.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brocious | 28 comments So many!! :)

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien (the entire series) To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen The Mayfair Moon (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #1) by J.A. Redmerski ...there are many more, but these tend to be go to books when I need a repeat!