Start by marking “Needful Things” as Want to Read:
Needful Things

Needful Things

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  167,061 Ratings  ·  2,673 Reviews
Leland Gaunt opens a new shop in Castle Rock called Needful Things. Anyone who enters his store finds the object of his or her lifelong dreams and desires: a prized baseball card, a healing amulet. In addition to a token payment, Gaunt requests that each person perform a little "deed," usually a seemingly innocent prank played on someone else from town. These practical jok ...more
Published 1992 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published October 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Needful Things, please sign up.

Luis Martinez jr The Body. Dead Zone. The Talisman. Cujo (a lot). Maybe more. Those were the ones I caught, but I haven't read all his stuff.
Ciprian Panait If you read carefully Alan releases the souls. Now my theory is that in the valise there where also creatures that fed on those souls and those where…moreIf you read carefully Alan releases the souls. Now my theory is that in the valise there where also creatures that fed on those souls and those where the ones Gaunt said would die. Kinda like Polly's spider.(less)
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
122 books — 3,094 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
1,492 books — 4,670 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
As Jeff turned to go into Needful Things, he bumped into a woman wearing a dazed determined expression, who was hurrying out the door, clutching a stuffed warthog. Entering the store, he was greeted by a tinkling bell and what appeared to be the shop owner, walking toward him with an outstretched hand. Jeff’s first instinct was to back away in revulsion, but he extended his hand and felt a wave of nausea sweep over him.

“I’m Leland Gaunt and welcome to my humble establishment. I’ve just opened to
Gregor Xane
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr. King likes to tell stories about people getting trapped. He's got one about a guy trapped in a bedroom. He's got a whole bunch of these stories, really. He's got people trapped inside a car, in a gas station, a classroom, a grocery store, a hotel, on an island, a city under a giant force field. I'm pretty sure he's got one about a lady handcuffed to a bed for the whole book. I'm just going from memory here. He's probably got a lot more.

In Needful Things, the entire town of Castle Rock is tra
Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, kitten-squisher
A store has opened in the Maine town of Castle Rock, a store selling objects a person most desires, at a price the buyer can afford. But are the goods worth the cost? Can Sheriff Alan Pangborn get to the bottom of Leland Gaunt and his Needful Things before he falls prey to the madness that's gripping the town?

In what originally was intended to be its final appearance, Castle Rock goes out with a bang in this Stephen King tome.

It reads like a love letter to Castle Rock at times. I caught referen
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Some authors write about king slayers. Others write about serial killers. Stephen King? He writes about fuckers capable of leveling entire towns. Whether those responsible are aliens or devils, it doesn't matter. The ride is usually a fun one. Needful Things is no different. It is, however, the epitome of a bloated Stephen King novel. There are entire characters herein that serve zero purpose. George T. Nelson and Frank Jewett's stories could have been left out. Ace Merrill is another pointless ...more
Bradley
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, 2016-shelf
With this tome of Stephen King small town horror, I'm constantly amazed that I had missed picking this up and geeking out over it when it first came out.

I'm certain that I would have. It has all the things I'd been learning to geek out about with his general horror universe, including Cthulhu references, homages to his previous works including events and characters, all of them strung up as if on a map of homicide victims on a perp board, and of course, Castle Rock, itself.

Castle Rock Entertainm
Paul Nelson
'Everyone loves something for nothing . . . even if it costs everything.'

When new shop Needful Things opens in Castle Rock, there is soon an avalanche of customers desperate to 'buy now' but as the front cover says, you will pay later. Leland Gaunt is the proprietor and he has an extensive stock, something will definitely catch your eye, I guarantee it.

Is it the perfect store? Well it possesses the thing you desire most and its available for whatever you think it's worth, with a small proviso,
Nikoleta
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Μου άρεσε αρκετά στο σύνολο του. Το βιβλίο αποτελείται από 3 μέρη. Το πρώτο μέρος κυλάει αρκετά αργά, αλλά ο συγγραφέας κάνει σπουδαία και βαθιά ανάλυση στους χαρακτήρες της ιστορίας και μας προετοιμάζει άψογα για το τι θα επακολουθήσει. Το δεύτερο μέρος μας βάζει πλέον για τα καλά στην υπόθεση και τα πάντα μπαίνουν σε μία σειρά. Το τρίτο μέρος αν και με γρήγορη πλέον δράση, μου φάνηκε ότι τράβηξε την ιστορία από τα μαλλιά, ότι έγινε λίγο "ότι να’ ναι". Μου φάνηκε ότι αυτό το βιβλίο γράφτηκε από ...more
Nicholas Armstrong
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was going to say that the reason I didn't like this book was the huge cast of characters, but that isn't true. Sure, the huge cast bothered me, but I've read books like that before, the problem was far more to do with the writing. The writing was belabored, tired, and trite. I say this with the utmost respect for King, but it was.

For example, the huge cast of characters followed a largely identical format. With a book rocking 730 or so pages of small font, that's a lot of reading, and, as with
 ~Geektastic~
Stephen King’s approach to horror is much less about the supernatural than I think his reputation suggests. Before approaching his work back in high school, I was vaguely aware of books like Cujo, Pet Sematary, Christine and It (mostly due to their movie incarnations), and based on these, I assumed that King was all about the thrills and chills of the unexplained or just plain weird. It turns out the real horrors of his books are quite easy to explain, but no less frightening for this. Human nat ...more
M.G. Mason
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Despite that The Stand is my favourite King novel, Needful Things comes a very close second.

In some ways it is a much more intriguing story in that it deals with a much more base issue: human greed and the things people will do for personal gain.

Leland Gaunt arrives in Castle Rock, the setting for a good handful of King’s novels, opening up a bric-a-brac shop. The thing is with this shop is that it always seems to have the customer’s most secret desire and Gaunt never seems to require much money
Cody | codysbookshelf
Needful Things is my favorite Stephen King novel. Hell, it's probably my favorite novel, period. I felt that way going into this reread, and those feelings did not change upon reading it for the...fourth time, I think it is now. King nails everything here: exceptional character work, horror and comedy in equal measure, and one of his most memorable endings to date.

I know this novel has its detractors, and that's cool. Different strokes for different folks, brother. This novel is long (but not e
Matt Garcia
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reread for me. Absolutely amazing and epic tale that perfectly captures and creates the quintessential essence of small town America. The large cast of characters are all so unique, perfectly fleshed out and entertaining. Leland Gaunt is badass and so cleverly, evil and cunning that he's one of King's best characters in my opinion. This is a hell of a read and King outdid himself with this one. The plot may seem simple but it's far from it. The way King was able to concoct such a harrowing and ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
So are you familiar with the Lemony Snicket book, A Series of Unfortunate Events? Well this book could be, a series of depressing dark events.

I am a bit ambivalent about Mr. King's books anyway. I have for years found his books a "mixed bag"...that is for me of course. I know many love his every comma, period and blood stain. I have liked many of his more recent books so when I hit a dry spell recently and no book drew me in I decided to drop back and pick up one of his books I never read.

The st
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤

"YOU’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE.

Sure you have. Sure. I never forget a face."

Whoever said "nothing in life is free", has apparently read this book. A small town (one Constant Readers have seen many times before) is about to get a brand new business.

Anything your tiny heart desires is in that store. Anything at all!

There's that rare baseball card you've been hunting for ages! Oh, and look at those sunglasses worn by The King himself! Have you seen that gorgeous lamp you were never able to affor
C.W.
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Always said this was one of my favorites of his, from when I read it many years ago, but never gave it a reread - still good, had a lot of fun listening to it this time around, but didn't enjoy it quite as much as I remembered. Original rating still stands (my tastes have just morphed slightly I suppose) but definitely wanted to give a rating to the audiobook. Still highly recommended, if you're looking for that creepy small-town feel!
Franco  Santos
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
¿Alguna vez les ha pasado que iban a leer un libro con una buenísima idea y les terminó decepcionando? Bueno, este no es el caso. Es una genial idea y King la trató con soberbia, perfectamente; hasta el punto en que superó mis expectativas. Trata sobre un misterioso hombre que abre una nueva tienda llamada "Cosas Necesarias". Resulta que cada quien que entra encuentra siempre lo que quiere y anhela fervorosamente (lo que sea, aunque sea casi imposible su adquisición). El dueño del local, Leland ...more
Jenna
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of a buddy read with my fellow King readers : Anasylvia and Kat Stark

Never in my life had I read a Stephen King novel until just months ago and now I have marked off three on my list. After skimming through so many of his books, I was surprised that I had no idea that he wrote so many books that I had seen on the big screen. I always assumed that his books were just gore and horror without much of a story to tell and I am not sure how that became implanted into my brain, but
Reanna
Absolutely loved this one and yes I should have read all of the Castle Rock ones together but life goes on. :)
Will M.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Special mention to Kat Stark! Because of her 4 star rating of this, and a really favorable review, I decided to pick this up again, as it was lying around on break for over 3 months already. I completely forgot about it (blame the really long to-read shelf). Thanks Kat! Your review was amazing, and it ended up making me finish an amazing novel.

Here's a link to her review: my link text

Finally finished this, and I'm really glad I did. What a freakin' ending that was.

The best Stephen King book th
Ruth Turner

Audiobook – Narrated by Stephen King – For the most part it was great, although at times he read a little too fast and the words ran together.

I first read Needful Things in the early nineties, and I loved it…except for the ending. I sat there, stunned. How could he? How DARE he? I love Castle Rock.

And so I sulked. I refused to read any of his books for twelve months, and unlike so many of his other books, I never read it again. That showed him!

Then I discovered that he narrated the audio. I’ve c
Jenn Andrew
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Beware of small little antique stores that appear in your town run by a man that makes you nervous. In a small town of Castle Rock where lots of weird things happen and where a number of stories are told, a tall, mysterious man sets up his shop called Needful Things and invites the locals to enter. His name is Leland Gaunt. He appears as a gentleman but under his taunt and dried skin he is made of pure evil. His customers really have nothing to buy from him but he is able to manipulate them into ...more
Steven
I'll never be able to hear one of those little tinkling silver bells in shop doors again without thinking of Leland Gaunt and Needful Things.
Doreen Petersen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
Another fascinating read from Stephen King. This is definitely a must read for any who like Stephen King!
Anasylvia
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Buddy Read with these amazing ladies Kat and Jenna.

“Everyone loves something for nothing...even if it costs everything”.

Damn King knows how to raise a girl’s blood pressure up!

I’ve been craving a good scare and Stephen King hit the spot with Needful Things. This book is filled with, terror, smut, and downright creepy shit, and oh man was it ever good.

Welcome to “Needful Things” the new little shop in the small town of Castle Rock where they sell you guessed it “things.”

description

Oh yes, anything you’ve e
Adam Light
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, the-king
Upon reading NEEDFUL THINGS for the second time -first time since it was originally published- I was thoroughly impressed. I have changed my four-star rating to a well-deserved five. At first, I did not intend to read this again, but if I want to read King's entire backlog again, I will have to do it eventually, so I said what the hell? and dug right in.
I remembered very little, aside from the basic premise, of this thick novel for this reread, but I recalled that it had felt bloated and tedious
Reddish
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, king
Maldigo a Stephen King y esa manera que tiene de escribir que hace que no puedas parar de leer. Además tiene ese poder de crear personajes reales y bien definidos, y hace que te metas en la historia de pleno. La tienda ha sido una mina de altibajos y sorpresas, y el final apoteósico-apocalíptico se disfruta muchísimo. ¡Totalmente recomendado!

"Era un asunto extraño la cordura. Cuando uno estaba privado de ella, no se daba cuenta. No notaba su ausencia. Solo la percibía de verdad cuando la recupe
Jason Pellegrini
It has been a yearly tradition of mine to kick off the new year with a Stephen King novel. For the past decade, I have started my year off with the Master of Horror. Well, except for that one year, where I decided to give my tradition a break and give Richard Bachman a go. ::wink, wink:: As the years have gone by, though, and I found myself soaking up King as much as I could throughout the entirety of the year, I began to feel that maybe I burned through all his essentials (The Shining, IT, The ...more
Kathrin
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 20th-century, usa
I avoided the story for a while because there were other books I was more interested in by King. However, as I decided recently to read all his books I wanted to give it a try.
Definitely an interesting read but in the end, the story was too predictable for me.

What intrigues me about King's books is that I hardly find a character that I don't enjoy reading about. This means a lot of you think about the abundance of different characters in each of his books.
Polly and Alan certainly were such ch
Aymen Ben cheikh
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
a really good book. It 's a story about the city of castle rock, where a new store opens. the owner, Gaunt, have many items, and all of the customers can find what they always dreamed of owning, but if they want to buy something, they need to do a favour to Gaunt, an "innocent" prank to someone... and slowly, horrible events start happening in castle rock...
In this book, Stephen King plays with the obsession of owning things, the fear of loosing them, the jealousy, and the hidden hatred that liv
Jason Jauron
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The last King book that really had characters I could relate to.
There's a Leland Gaunt in every town.
Like the Pumpkins said, "The killer in me is the killer in you."

Let's face it...our society feeds on envy, lust, and greed.
And King painted characters that we either relate to because they were part of our life or at least the characters were people we could easily identify...
And that was the genius in this book...and that was the disconnect I had with The Dome
Stephen King Fans: Needful Things 197 637 Jan 23, 2018 07:51PM
Stephen King Fans: Needful Things Movie 14 199 Oct 02, 2017 04:15PM
Around the Year i...: Needful Things, by Stephen King 2 26 Sep 29, 2017 01:12PM
Stephen King Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Needful Things 9 70 Nov 03, 2016 05:43PM
What should I read before Needful Things? 13 279 Aug 29, 2014 04:21PM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • Darkness
  • The Bad Place
  • The Stand: Soul Survivors
  • Night in the Lonesome October
  • Mr. X
  • The Mailman
  • The Survivor
  • Creepshow
More about Stephen King...
“I'm having a magenta day. Not just red, but magenta!” 139 likes