Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > To Swear or Not To Swear. You Decide . . .

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilo (last edited Apr 21, 2015 06:58PM) (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments Take the poll!

SWEAR WORDS IN URBAN FANTASY / PARANORMAL ROMANCE BOOKS?
I just checked my reviews today and saw a new one came in addressing swear words. The reader writes,

"I like that you told a great story and you didn't have to use curse words. Thank you for that."

This isn't the first time I've received this comment and I love that readers are communicating their thoughts on this. However, this wasn't really a goal of mine when I wrote the book. I'm not pro or con swear words. I'm fine with them when they fit the story . . . (Click here for the poll and the combined results: http://bit.ly/1J5imrp)

message 2: by E.A. (new)

E.A. | 52 comments It doesn't matter to me, but it does make it more real. We all swear, especially when emotions are running high. I just don't like when Author's ( not all some) make up swear words. To me it makes the story childlike and less serious.

But in all, it makes no difference to me.

Cheers

-Emily

message 3: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I did the poll on your site. I don't either about the words. I care more about spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

BTW, I loved Book 1. I am expecting an Amazon gift card soon and I'll be able to continue the series. It's great!

message 4: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments Thank you Madame Zelda! Right now I'm incorporating the changes from my beta reader comments into book 2, The Light Who Binds. Then it will go to editing. I have a few rounds of editing before publishing, but it is getting close. :)

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 243 comments I actually find it to be more like real-life when swear words are used, including harsh ones. But, this is also from someone that uses the F word like a comma in usual, everyday language! I have to be really cautious of the words coming out of my mouth when I'm at work! I get it from my mama, she cusses like a sailor!

message 6: by rachel (new)

rachel (rrr98) | 290 comments I don't have a problem if there is no swearing but when its like Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast the house of night series that is one of the major reason I stopped that series I couldn't stand the fake swearing there teenagers just cuss already

message 7: by Candace (new)

Candace Blevins (candaceblevins) | 20 comments Heh, I decided one of my characters wasn't going to cuss, and then caught a few "accidental" occurrence of shit, damn, and ass --- when I hadn't intended to have her even use minced oaths unless she was super-mad. I told my editor to be on the lookout, in case I missed any, and she found another dozen, at least (in a 120,000 word book).

I left one "asshole" in, when she was drunk, but took the rest out.

Cussing doesn't bother me in the least, though I appreciate when an author gives each character their own "style" of how they use the words.

message 8: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments Thank you Candace for that. My characters do have distinct styles of swearing. They each have their own rules about what they are willing to do. :) But honestly, I didn't think anyone would notice that. I'm glad that you do actually pay attention to that sort of thing.

message 9: by Candace (new)

Candace Blevins (candaceblevins) | 20 comments I don't think most readers notice speech patterns consciously, but they sense more character development, I think.

I had a guy who was raised catholic, who cussed like crazy, but didn't appreciate it when people said GD around him. Little quirks like that add to creating realistic characters, in my mind, anyway.

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin Shah | 25 comments My shifters are male of a certain age and most former military, it would be weird if they didn't swear.:-)

message 11: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments My father is former military, but he wouldn't think of swearing in front of a woman. :) He is also about 70! So times may have changed.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Darke | 36 comments Yeah, I think it definitely depends on the character! Like, if a book is totally full of swearing that's probably a bit excessive, but I'd never write or read based on, like, a percentage of swearing. I'm more interested in the characters' voices being authentic, and if that includes swearing then at least some of that should come through!

I also think making up swear words can work really well in a fantasy/future world, but it's very hard to do, I'm not sure I'd have the guts to try!

message 13: by Lilo (last edited Apr 24, 2015 12:37AM) (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments Thanks Amber. I do have some made up swear words based on the world that the book takes place in. Lady of Light! Great Abyss! I have them mixed in with regular expletives.

message 14: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 21 comments Hi All. If any of you have not taken the poll, I hope you will. I'm hoping to get to 100 entries. If you do take the poll, please answer it as a reader (of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance) and not as a writer. You can view the results of the poll in real time by clicking on the link below the poll in the blog post.

Thanks very much!

Lilo

message 15: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Watts | 36 comments For me it depends on the book, the flow of the story and the age range it is intended for. I know a lot of YA authors limit or ban swear words, but as I write for adults, if it is natural for one or more of my characters to swear, they do!

message 16: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Mckenzie | 27 comments I can say I have no problem with swearing as long as it is not constant or there is no reason for it (just dropping swear words in for the sake of it. I think if its a YA book, you have to be careful what words are used

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Marked (other topics)