Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > To Swear or Not To Swear. You Decide . . .

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilo (new)

Lilo Abernathy (lilo_abernathy) | 19 comments Take the poll!

SWEAR WORDS IN URBAN FANTASY / PARANORMAL ROMANCE BOOKS?
I just checked my reviews today and saw a new one came in addressing swear words. The reader writes,

"I like that you told a great story and you didn't have to use curse words. Thank you for that."

This isn't the first time I've received this comment and I love that readers are communicating their thoughts on this. However, this wasn't really a goal of mine when I wrote the book. I'm not pro or con swear words. I'm fine with them when they fit the story . . . (Click here for the poll: http://bit.ly/1J5imrp)

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) I don't mind them particularly, but I suppose an author trying to reach the widest audience possible would limit them. As in, even if swears don't bother a reader, I can't imagine their absence is going to cause them a problem. And if swears DO bother you, their absence will only make you as a reader more rather than less willing to buy the author's next book.

That's from a purely business perspective. From an artistic point of view? I honestly haven't a clue. As an author, you need make dialog as authentic as you can, or at any rate as reasonably authentic as you can. First, for your own sanity. And, second, readers typically have fairly sophisticated BS detectors...and if your dialog sounds clunky to you, how do you think it will appear to readers?

message 3: by Rosetta (new)

Rosetta Bloom | 3 comments I don't mind a few swear words, but excessive use gets old fast with me. There are times to use them, but I think you have to ask if they're really necessary. They're such a hot-button subject for some readers that, as an author, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the hassle to include them unnecessarily.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Jackson (sjjackson) | 6 comments I think the odd one is okay, just not all the time. Most people drop the occasional expletive and so when it fits the story it can add to the realism of the dialogue. Like most things, too much of any expletive or even an expression can become irritating.