SFF Readalongs led by Kitty G discussion

Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
This topic is about Midnight Tides
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Midnight Tides Discussion > Thoughts Before We Start...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kitty G Books (last edited Apr 21, 2015 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kitty G Books (kool_kat_kitty) | 671 comments Mod
Let me know how you guys are feeling about diving into book 5 :) I have to say I'm pretty excited over this series now (especially since I know that this is the halfway point (in terms of Erikson's books at any rate) and I think things have really become more intriguing and fun the further through we've gone.

As always I wonder which characters will be returning to us and which new ones we'll be meeting, and I look forward to hearing all your thoughts on this too!!

I will be dividing this one up into larger threads for discussion as the last few we've only been commenting on certain chapters so I will be making fewer threads with more breadth for discussing. I hope this is cool with everyone!

I'm super excited to dive into this one... I have heard that it's set on a whole new continent with yet a load more characters, but I'm intrigued :D
As soon as I finish up Malice (which I'm about halfway through) I will be moving onto this!!

Evan | 67 comments Midnight Tides is one hell of a book. Its honestly going to feel only tangetially like a Malazan book for a while because like you say, it's an entirely new continent, and all new characters, with two exceptions.

That said, it might be the best one. I don't know yet, I can't decide. But this is easily for me, the most effortless book Erikson wrote I think. It just flows so perfectly. I'll be curious to see how you guys react to it.

Also, this book has, in my opinion, the duo to end all duos among the Fallen. They are epic.

In anycase, all I can advise is just tough it out if you find it hard going at the beginning. It's going to feel a bit different, but it'll all come together eventually.

After this book, do you guys plan on dipping into the Esslemont books? Night of Knives was published after Midnight Tides. Night of Knives isn't super important to the whole Malazan universe, however I do believe that Return of the Crimson Guard is, which should be read after Reaper's Gale. Just something to start thinking about.

message 4: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments I guess I just have to read it like a 'stand-alone' novel as a start.. After the past 4 books I think I've been getting a hang of it already. I hope..

Evan wrote: "Midnight Tides is one hell of a book. Its honestly going to feel only tangetially like a Malazan book for a while because like you say, it's an entirely new continent, and all new characters, with ..."

Yes Evan I have incorporated in the Esslemont books into the readalong of the Malazan books because I want to give them both a go and even if Night of Knives is not as important, I think it will be nice to experience Esslemont's writing. (plus it's a shorter one and it may be nice to have a shorter Malazan book for next month as a little 'breather')

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) I wish there was some sort of daily timeline for this, so some of us can read at the same pace as others.

Phil wrote: "I wish there was some sort of daily timeline for this, so some of us can read at the same pace as others."

Yeah, that would be interesting to try but I have a feeling that it might be pretty difficult to organise and I wouldn't want to add pressure onto anyone to read at any particular pace, be it too slow/fast.
However, if you can find people in the group willing to read at the same pace as you maybe strike up a convo in the 'other' thread and see if anyone is up for scheduling certain times etc?

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) Fair Point :-)

message 9: by Dale (new)

Dale Nevin | 20 comments Have completely fallen behind so wont get to start this until June :( but hopefully in June I can get through both this and the next one and be caught up by July as I really enjoy the discussions.
Enjoying everyone's comments as I trail along.

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) just started today. had on the shelf for a very long time. 940 pages! Gulp

It's a good one :-) Enjoy!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.