The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) The Code of the Woosters discussion

Hmm. . .

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Let me know how you like this? Did you finish it? I can't locate it any of libraries. Interested to know how your discussion goes. Glad to see you logged all your books!!!! V

Jennifer Petkus Veronica,

I haven't yet added a full review of The Code of the Woosters here, but I can tell you I consider it to be one of the funniest -- no, it is the funniest book I have ever read and the only competition for the title comes from Wodehouse himself.

And if you haven't watched any of the Wodehouse stories starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, you're in for a treat. Or for that matter, find Wodehouse Playhouse for more vintage Wodehouse video.

Jennifer

Richard Hi,
I agree with the above.
This is a great book and a perfect introduction to Wodehouse. It has everything that is great about his writing; the wit of the language, a wonderfully daft,circuitous plot and a full band of batty characters. It's thoroughly silly, and so enjoyable with it. Don't expect profound literature, but if you can track down a copy, I don't think you'll regret it.

message 4: by Pippin (last edited Mar 13, 2012 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pippin for other wodehouse books, check here:
http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis...

they come in two formats: langscape (for screen reading) and portrait (for printing or reading on a portrait oriented monitor)
'Thank You, Jeeves' is rummy!

message 5: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Veronica wrote: "Let me know how you like this? Did you finish it? I can't locate it any of libraries. Interested to know how your discussion goes. Glad to see you logged all your books!!!! V"

Veronica, it has been such a long time since I read 'Code of the Woosters' that I can't honestly recall what the plot was like. However, I have read so many of Wodehouse's books that I can say this: I don't really think it matters which, or how many, of the Jeeves & Wooster books one has read. They are all basically the same. There is very little, if any, difference between the characters as they were written in the beginning of PGW's career and the same characters as written at the end.
Nevertheless, I continue to read and enjoy them all - repeatedly. They ARE light reading, it is true, but not light reading for the barely literate. One does need a good vocabulary to enjoy them, and it helps to have experienced a bit of life, if one is to appreciate the humor. Said humor is abundant.

Pippin If you get tired of Jeeves (which seems improbable) try Indiscretions of Archie. Same spiel but all the action happens stateside. Tip top!

Wendy 'Code' may be the best book I've ever read--if not, it's definitely the best humorous book I've ever read. I highly recommend it, and the entire Wodehouse library, for that matter.

Andy Of all the Jeeves stories, this is surely the funniest. It has all the usual elements but there's something about it that raises it above the others. You will not be able to stop smiling after reading Code if you come across a cow creamer in our world.

Joanne This is definitely my favorite Jeeves and Wooster book! It literally had me laughing aloud. I've been trying to read them in order (no easy feat considering some of the books have different names in the US vs. England and different short stories have been compiled into different books!) This is one of the four J&W books that takes place at Totleigh Towers. I couldn't find a hard copy, either; I had to get the Kindle edition. Definitely give it a try!