This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate John

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Just now I opened my home page, and much to my joy and surprise, "1 new" popped up in tiny red letters next to my inbox. Dear god, I always get soooooo excited when I see those little red letters! I immediately have to stop whatever I was planning to do when I opened Goodreads. I proceed, with nothing less than youthful exuberance, to open my inbox. Who could have written ME a message??? WHO??? Well, I'll tell you who. It was John, writing about some new wonderful book that's just been published. Who the hell is John? And why is he SPAMMING me??? He's not even an author. He's just some no-faced guy from New York, getting my hopes up and posing as some friendly fellow Hater. Stupid John.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) For reals, biz-nitches.

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk This is weird. About an hour ago I was going to ask if you'd be my goodreads pal, Amanda, but then I thought, nah, we're all getting sick of getting blindsided with friend requests from people we really don't know. I think John and Frank wiretapped my brain, those spammy bastards. They must work for the Bush administration.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No one I know wants to be my friend. Lots of people I don't know want to be my friend. Maybe that means that when people know me, they don't want to know me? Or something?

message 5: by Kirk (new)

Kirk I just realized you and I aren't officially friends, Sarah, so I sent you an invite. If you reject me I'll have to kill myself---or at least never ask anyone to be my friend again.

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk P.S. No pressure...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I would never reject you. You're the closest I'll ever come to having coffee with Hemingway.

message 8: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Ah, touche (which doesn't rhyme with forte, as I learned today). Honestly, you probably are better off not getting too close to EH. He was a bit of a bastard.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Kirk, stop playing hard to get.

And what inspired you to send me a friend request, anyway (even though you eventually decided against it)? I'm Intrigued!!!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh I know he was. I love it. I would have loved to get drunk with him some time. Provided, of course, that the shotguns were safely locked away.

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Amanda, I would like to say you had me at biz-nitches, but it was actually much earlier. It was your anxiety earlier over 'per se' and then your questioning of Dash on all the books on---ahem---well, you know. Plus your website. And Greensboro (Southerners unite).

Sarah, he would've liked getting drunk with you a lot better than he would have with me. For obvious reasons.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yep, he was a dirty ol' sonofabitch, wasn't he? Damn fine writer, though.

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Apr 01, 2008 05:33PM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Thanks for the ego-boost, Kirk! :) I know I asked for it, but it still feels good. woo hoo!

And if it's of interest, I have been intrigued many times by your postings, too.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Would you two like to be alone?

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) AAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Again! WTF?????? Stupid bastards. This time, it's "Kenneth" spamming me.

message 16: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Cute, Sarah, cute...

We were actually hoping you and your husband would join us in the hot tub, like the Klarvins on Saturday Night Live (Thanks, NBC, for not having any videos on YouTube).

So what Hemingway do you like, btw?

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Apr 01, 2008 05:36PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I read The Old Man and the Sea and A Farewell To Arms and some short stories in high school. I have started For Whom the Bell Tolls but then a book club book made me put it aside and I never got back to it. I'd like to read a few more of his this year.

I really enjoy the pared-down, simple writing of writers like Hemingway and (my favorite) Steinbeck.

message 18: by Kirk (new)

Kirk The most beautiful is A Moveable Feast. There are parts that are nasty toward other folks, but his nostalgia for his first wife is really poignant.

I love Steinbeck, too. I'm putting together a textbook and made sure to include one of The Red Pony stories. They're about enough to make me boo-hoo.

message 19: by Kirk (new)

Kirk I think I'm actually friends with him now... he's apparently spamming folks to hock a book, although he didn't hit me up.

I just reread Long Valley about a month ago--beautiful stuff.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) East of Eden is one of my favorite books of all time. But I've loved everything I've ever read of Steinbeck.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I actually have a sort of a Steinbeck fetish. I think a man who reads Steinbeck is incredibly sexy.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hee. You're so funny, King. ;) Read it out loud multiple times to a girl and something else might happen multiple times.

message 23: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Just watch out for paper cuts.

message 24: by John (new)

John (jonti) I hate it that someone called John is mimicking me and annoying people globally... actually... no... come to think of it... it's quite cool....

John's of the world unite...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.