This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate that my chai tea tastes like vomit

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanie (last edited Mar 26, 2008 04:51AM) (new)

Joanie I got a chai today instead of iced coffee because my throat hurt. I just took a sip and it tastes like vomit, vomit mixed with soap actually. Now I'm stuck at work with no iced coffee and a cup of puke. Today's gonna suck.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Where'd you get it from???

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie From Marylou's News-it's a local chain. Their coffee is great but when I pulled up to the window to get my chai I noticed this huge tupperware container filled with powder and marked "spiced chai" so it's from a mix, not the real stuff at all. Had I known that I would have stayed away!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Most places do chai from mixes. :(

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 27, 2008 05:12AM) (new)

If it's any consolation Joanie, lately I've also learned to avoid the local abomination that is 'Chai in a Box'.

But Maurice is right, if proper Chai is what came from the breast of the Virgin Mary, I'd grow up thinking that I could save mankind too. If it was the blood that ran in our veins I'd be willing to suck the last drop out of disgraced Senator Craig, if drinking Chai made you bald, I'd bathe in it & save loads of $$$$ on full body electrolysis, if it made you pee fire I'd man up & buy some asbestos boxers, if it made your skin turn green I'd only date people for whom that's their favorite colour (& we'd conduct out illicit trysts in the forest, shhh!), if it made you smell like buttcrack, I'd only chill with people who have removed their own noses (but not to spite their faces! Petty people are no fun!!), my drinking Chai could be the one catalyst that shatters the unearthly prison of the elder gods, gets the convicted off the hook, raises the price of gas, & ticks off my neighbors and I'd still do it. Simply because that first moment when you've taken a sip of reeallly good Chai....

is one of the priceless milliseconds in the history of humanity where all is truly right with the world. (Which begs the question Joanie, was it Hot or Iced?)

message 6: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, I suppose you are right King, but I've never experienced vomit that tastes good...have you?

It still always has that puke tinge to it. Like, not all mac'n'cheese tastes the same, but there's still that cheese flavor in there somewhere.

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy well steve, i guess i'd better find myself some good chai. the stuff i've had always makes my throat hurt (as do all spiced teas... i have no idea why. i'm just a freak of nature). any suggestions? i'm guessing any old starbucks probably isn't going to cut it.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) You can make your own chai!!!

Two things to consider:
1. Chai at most chains, and often independent tea houses, is made from a mix. Therefore it is more like a smoothie or a milkshake than like actual chai tea. If you want to purchase chai that actually tastes like chai, go to an Indian restaurant or find a tea house that doesn't use a mix.
2. You're only going to like chai if it uses spices you like, so depending on what makes your throat hurt, you might be hard pressed to find one that doesn't resurrect that delightful vomit taste.

Basic Chai:
~Black Tea (from India--use an assam or a darjeeling--or if those words are foreign to you, just use any old black tea). Use 1 teabag or one tsp loose tea leaves for one cup of tea.
~Spices:
cinnamon
ginger
cardamom
black pepper
cloves
Just use a tiny pinch. When I make chai I use a half teaspoon of spices for a half gallon of tea; so for a little cup, you don't need much.

Put tea and spices in cup, pour boiling water over the top. Brew for an extra long time (mor than 10 min). Add milk.

That is just a quickie way to do it. There are plenty of ways to prepare it, but this one was already Goodreads-unfriendly enough.

If you're SERIOUSLY interested, then let me know and I'll do some research for you about a good tea house in your area. Or I'll get ya a better recipe. whatev.

I'm outta here with my tea-nerdy self. :)

message 9: by Tesse (new)

Tesse (hooksinmyhead) Breast of the Virgin Mary....

Steve, your lapsed Catholic is coming out again.

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie I agree that good chai is wonderful. I really should have known that the place that does these low budget commericals of "Marylou girls" dancing around in pink t-shirts and boas would probably not have authentic chai, I just never anticipated it tasting quite so bad!

For the record Steve, it was hot. I had a big pink (of course their cups are pink too) cup of chai vomit. Today, I'm back to the iced coffee.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy i'm going to have to try this. although i'm a little afraid it will turn out much like my attempts to recreate thai iced tea (which is very similar, but a little sweeter and less spicy than chai). i mean, that's just black (oolong i think?) tea, coconut milk and something else (rosewater maybe? honey? i can never figure it out), but as many recipes as i can find, i can never make it quite right. turkish coffee is the same way. but this chai, this sounds much easier.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Tracy--go to an Asian grocery store and actually buy Thai tea. They have all the spices and orange colored whatever-the-hell-it-is already made up for you, and all you have to do is brew as normal (it's loose tea, not bagged fyi).

Add a teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk, pour over ice, and you're good to go!

If you do try the chai, let me know. I have a way of overcomplicating things, and I'd like to apologise in advance for that... But at least the Thai Tea is EASY BREEZY!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.