Time Travel discussion

Book Club Discussions > THE PERIPHERAL: February 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 02, 2015 10:41AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
FEBRUARY-MARCH 2015: TIME TRAVEL BOOK CLUB

The Peripheral by William Gibson The Peripheral (485 pages, published October 2014):
Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran’s benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC’s elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there’s a job he’s supposed to do—a job Flynne didn’t know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He’s supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That’s all there is to it. He’s offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn’t what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder. (GoodReads blurb)

William Gibson William Gibson :
William Ford Gibson is an American-Canadian writer who has been called the father of the cyberpunk subgenre of science fiction, having coined the term cyberspace in 1982 and popularized it in his first novel, Neuromancer (1984), which has sold more than 6.5 million copies worldwide.

While his early writing took the form of short stories, Gibson has since written nine critically acclaimed novels (one in collaboration), contributed articles to several major publications, and has collaborated extensively with performance artists, filmmakers and musicians. His thought has been cited as an influence on science fiction authors, academia, cyberculture, and technology.
(GoodReads blurb)

Gibson is also the author of one of the book club's short stories for this month, "The Gernsback Continuum”.

Where to Find
Of course, the cheapest version is available free from your local library. The Kindle version is the next cheapest version at $11.99. To search for other availabilities visit https://www.goodreads.com/book/208211....

Pre-Reading Questions
1. Have you read anything by Gibson before? If so, what? What were your reactions to those novels and/or stories?

message 2: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Answer to pre-reading question
I thought I had read something by him a long time ago but not really sure. I have Zero History sitting on my bookshelf but have never opened it.

message 3: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 17, 2015 07:25PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I had some time to kill this morning and spent it trying to wrap my head around the opening chapters of this book. I've never read Gibson before, so I don't know if all of his books are as dense or not. This is a book that would be well-served with a glossary. It's set in the near future, perhaps 20-30 years out where virtual gaming is a big thing. Being futuristic, some of the concepts within are ideas that require a reader to really wrap their brains around to grasp. I'm going to start up a glossary in this comment section to try to help as we go along. This will definitely be a work in progress as our understanding of various concepts deepen as we get further into the novel. Some of these concepts I'm going to leave blank for possible future fill ins. If it's in italics, it means I'm not quite sure of the definition. I'd definitely appreciate any insight you might have into these terms. Perhaps some of these concepts may have appeared elsewhere in futuristic science fiction and may be more familiar to you.

GLOSSARY
Airstream 1977 - a luxury recreational vehicle with a round, aluminum body (built 1977).

cam - Small, flying video cameras. Some are paparazzi.

continua - somehow related to polts and stubs

Forever Fab - A 3D print shop. It seems to have an internal social network for the people who work at the shop. It seems that they may do knock-off pirated 3D prints of objects.

Great Pacific Garbage Patch - a 3-million-ton patch of floating garbage in the pacific kept afloat by segmented bladders the size of an airport.

gyros - gyrocopters

haptic - haptic technology creates a sense of touch with force, vibration, or motion so that virtual objects can be more easily manipulated. In this novel, it appears that military members are tattooed with haptic technology that helps them in their military operations. But these tattoos are removed once they leave the military.

Homes - Homeland Security

homunculus - (view spoiler)

jackpot - (view spoiler)

Luke 4:5 - The Bible passage this refers to reads "And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time." In the book, it's a group like Westboro Baptist that protests everything from gay marriage and military funerals to body mods.

mantis - long robotic something that can perform maintenance

Medici - mobile hospital device that can repair people

Michikoid - robots which can be used for service or security

moby - mobile vehicle

parafoil - Personal flight sailing parachute device that can be unfurled from a backpack.

patchers - This is a reviled caste of people who live on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Their job is to keep the water column clean. Their skin is covered in ugly, scaly patches that keep them safe from UV-induced cancers. They're rumored to be cannibals.

penny farthing - an old fashioned bicycle from the 1800s with a gigantic front wheel and tiny back wheel.

peripheral - (view spoiler)

polts - (view spoiler)

quant - ?

Realer - any person in-game that actually looks like a real person

Remembrancer - ?

sigal - a person's icon/image that appears in view mentally when they call you mentally

stub - a version of the past that has veered off on a different path as a result of meddling from the future

Tarantula - a 3-wheeled motorbike

Viz an eyepiece for online access

walking point - foot patrolling

wind-powered walker - I'm not sure if these are just for fun or if they have a special purpose on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, but you can see a video of wind walkers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSKyH...

message 4: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Amy wrote: "I had some time to kill this morning and spent it trying to wrap my head around the opening chapters of this book. I've never read Gibson before, so I don't know if all of his books are as dense or..."

This is great. I think Luke 4:5 might be an actual person but I can't figure out who yet.

message 5: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 04, 2015 01:14PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Glynn wrote: "Amy wrote: "I had some time to kill this morning and spent it trying to wrap my head around the opening chapters of this book. I've never read Gibson before, so I don't know if all of his books are..."

Ah. My husband and I are both reading this at the same time and he thought Luke 4:5 was a group. I thought maybe it was some sort of manifesto. I'm kind of worried about how the ax/tomahawk fits into it if it's a manifesto. Maybe someone gets tomahawked in a specific moment in time? That's my best guess.

message 6: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
12 chapters in...

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Amy wrote: "Ah. My husband and I are both reading this at the same time and he thought Luke 4:5 was a group. I thought maybe it was some sort of manifesto...."

I have read a little more and I think Luke 4:5 is definitely some sort of cult. Here's another interesting thing:
Michikoid i think it's some sort of robotic servant.

message 8: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 05, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Lincoln wrote: "Not giving up but am more confused than intrigued at this point...."

I think you've got the gist of what's going on. I'm not finding myself confused, but I do find that I'm not a fan of having concepts eeked out to me over many chapters. I understand that it's a show-not-tell method of storytelling, and I can appreciate it. But I don't like being dumped into the middle of a story where I have to figure out what's going on AND have that feeling exist for pages on end. It makes for tedious reading. I want there to be a point in the novel where I feel comfortable enough in the 2 story lines that I don't have to strain to figure out what the characters are talking about and don't have to re-read everything 3 times to get it. That turns a 500-page novel into a 1500-page novel. I finished chapter 12 last night. I don't feel the need to give up on it. It's a fascinating world. I'm interested in the story. But I am hoping that it becomes something that's not too hard on the brain by the time I get to it at night's end when my brain's nearly ready to sign off.

message 9: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Does anyone have any insight on what a "polt" is (other than "ghosts that move things") or what "continua" is? I'm also not clear on the concept of a "moby". Is it a vehicle or a camera or a vehicle camera or something else?

message 10: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

26 chapters in...

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Amy wrote: "26 chapters in? You must be enjoying it? You keep pushing me to read more so that I can click on your spoilers."

Just FYI Amy,

I had the day off work yesterday and I was hoping to understand the book more...Thinking it would explain itself more plainly in time...

I am understanding a bit more but the book is not doing me any favors and, I am yet to enjoy this book at all...and I am a quarter in or so...

message 12: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Things became less murky for me when I got to Chapter 22. Now, though, I feel I need to go back and read the first 21 chapters!

message 13: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Amy wrote: "Does anyone have any insight on what a "polt" is (other than "ghosts that move things") or what "continua" is? I'm also not clear on the concept of a "moby". Is it a vehicle or a camera or a vehicl..."

Chapter 26 is one that explains a couple of these concepts. Don't want to spoil things for you. Still not clear on the "moby" though...This book is an intricate puzzle...

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Yourshaw (myourshaw) | 4 comments I, too, have found this to be a difficult read. My suggestion would be to read the first 20% or so of the book. Try to keep track of to whom each pronoun refers. Then read the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia plot summary, which does a great job of sorting things out. After this the book begins to get interesting and perhaps worth the struggle.

message 15: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

I find it sad that you need to look elsewhere to have a plot explained...

There are entire chapters I literally can not picture nor understand who is talking to who and why...

but yes its getting a little more understandable...but I am seriously contemplating abandoning the book at 30% in.

message 16: by Ernie (last edited Feb 06, 2015 02:48PM) (new)

Ernie Wood | 15 comments Lincoln wrote: "I find it sad that you need to look elsewhere to have a plot explained...

There are entire chapters I literally can not picture nor understand who is talking to who and why...

but yes its getting..."

I really wanted to read this book. I thought Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" was very cool -- it took place in my old neighborhood from when I lived in London and it was fascinating to see it through Gibson's unique vision. But I never even made it through to the end of my Kindle sample of "The Peripheral." Maybe I should have worked at it harder, but the comments here indicate I'm not the only one who wonders where the tipping point is - work vs. pleasure vs. insight vs. whatever we hope to gain from reading.

message 17: by Glynn (last edited Feb 07, 2015 04:33AM) (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Lincoln wrote: "I find it sad that you need to look elsewhere to have a plot explained...

but yes its getting..."

Try not to abandon it. You really don't need any outside explanation. Part of the fun is figuring things out. Gets pretty fascinating around chapter 41 "Zero." I am halfway through now. :)

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy Taylor (sooguy) | 89 comments I picked up the book at the library last week and thought I would be well into it by now. I've only read about the first chapter and found it very dense like others have mentioned. Not that its deterring me from reading, just busy that's all.

I've read Gibson's Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive back in the day as well as his collaboration with Bruce Sterling - The Difference Engine. I may have read one of his more modern books - Virtual Light I think, but I haven't ready anything else (Despite having several novels on my TBR pile by him).

I like "meaty" dense novels a la China Mieville or Ken MacLeod and don't expect to be hand held. It may make for more slow reading, but I am okay with that if the characters are worth it.

Glad to see people are plowing through the novel. I hope to catch up soon and actually be able to look at the spoiler content that you've hidden.

message 19: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 424 comments I have not been reading this book, and from reading everyone's comments it seems to me that it is exactly the type of book I do not like to read. It seems to be too much work to understand. I'll keep reading the comments and see if I am convinced otherwise.

message 20: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

I took a break with this week's Almanac read but I am not going to give up despite my general annoyance.

message 21: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 10, 2015 09:33AM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Reading was much easier last night starting with about chapter 18 or 19. I feel like I'm now not constantly trying to wrap my head around something new and unexplained every couple of pages. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I read a review of the novel that started out spoiling the nature of the 2 storylines, so I started out reading the book from that point of view. Perhaps that helped me not to feel as if I need to go back and read everything now.

Andy, I have to admit that China Mieville defeated me when I tried reading Perdido Street Station. He was constantly throwing in new vocabulary (both real and made up words) and I was constantly having to look everything up in my gigantic cube-shaped dictionary because I refused to let an unknown word pass me by. It's not that I couldn't read the book but that I found new words on nearly every page and I was so consumed with knowing what they meant that it hindered my ability to enjoy the reading. I'm feeling that I could handle reading him again through the magic of a Kindle dictionary ... and because I'm not so new-vocabulary-obsessed as I used to be.

message 22: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

I stopped trying to understand...but I had a theory that I think is correct after reading chapter 41 and 42.

I know I have been down on the book so far but I think I have crossed over into understanding the plot. I was really enjoying the book this morning and my kindle actually ran out of battery life. Thanks Glynn for encouraging me to keep going...This book although starting badly might have some really cool potential.

I think I am verifying my guesses from my spoilers after 26 chapters in.

message 23: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 17, 2015 01:24PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
I just finished up through Chapter 74. Where's everyone else? I'm doubting we'll need 2 months to get through this one if everyone else is reading it as quickly.

I noticed that the book is set around Clanton, Alabama, which is about 100 miles from my hometown. The culture doesn't really ring true for a near future setting, though. The only thing that really fits is Burton's caravan and Conner's personality.

Speaking of personalities, I was trying to nail down Flynne's personality, and I'm not coming up with anything. Netherton, Burton, Conner, Ossian, Lowbeer ... they all seem very 3D, but Flynne just seems to exist. She doesn't seem much different in her own skin or in the peripheral. She reacts to external stimuli, but not in any personality-laden way.

I've never seen any other author do time travel into the future or past through a (view spoiler) platform. It makes sense. I like that Gibson was able to make this idea really work in the novel. The idea of a "stub" seems to be the obvious result of such time travel. It really ties all the loose ends up quite neatly.

message 24: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
One of the futuristic concepts I'm liking the most is the idea of a cloaked table for one. I always hate eating in a restaurant alone. How nice would it be to be able to eat alone invisible? Or maybe that's just me.

message 25: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

I am 70 chapters in.

(view spoiler) but otherwise I am not interested in the characters they seem all to be bland. I don't understand their motivations. (view spoiler) Despite the money, why hasn't anyone said hey I dislike being shot at?

I feel no connection with any of them.

A cloaked table would allow you to eat ribs in public...Dad always says you have to eat those in a closet as it not polite to be seen eating such a mess.

message 26: by Dan (new)

Dan (belldl) | 6 comments I agree, characterization is pretty thin. But, Gibson' s an idea writer, never has been a 3d character maker (heh, maybe why Keanu did good in that memory courier movie 20 years ago. . .)
I am enjoying the future setting, but the nano is almost too Magick for me, plus there hasn't yet been a good enough explanation why and how Lowbeer is nearly omniscient

message 27: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Dan wrote: "...plus there hasn't yet been a good enough explanation why and how Lowbeer is nearly omniscient ..."

There will be ;)

message 28: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments I finished the book a couple of days ago. I never really figured out what a "quant" was...I really enjoyed it though, in the end. I wrote a little blurb about it without spoilers: here

message 29: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Lincoln wrote: "I don't understand their motivations. ..."

Headquartering in the mall gets them away from Burton's and Flynne's mom, for one thing. But I think the point of the mall headquarters wasn't about safety. Their fab lab was already there, so it made sense to buy out the mall to make their new-found wealth seem as if it's coming from a legitimate source. I don't think this is a mall like you're thinking about anyway. Clanton is small. It's most likely a run down flea market or antique mall like this one:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bren-W....

The whole reason that any of them is doing anything is because Flynne has a bounty on her head. So, yes, it's all about not getting shot at. For Leon and Burton, it's protecting family. For the ex-military friends, drone fliers, and property defenders, running security detail seems to be a hobby that they're finally getting to use in reality. Plus, there's the hope for some of Leon's new wealth. I think the redneck ex-military testosterone thing would be kicking in without the possibility of wealth though.

Yeah, I'd never anything barbecued and on the bone in public. I'm not sure I'd want to eat it in a closet either though. I tend to think about eating messy foods in a bathtub rather than in a closet ... like mangos and pomegranates.

What I'm trying to figure out is why there were koala (view spoiler). What the heck?

I have to wonder if Lowbeer (view spoiler)

message 30: by Dan (new)

Dan (belldl) | 6 comments Glynn wrote: "Dan wrote: "...plus there hasn't yet been a good enough explanation why and how Lowbeer is nearly omniscient ..."

There will be ;)"

Heh. I haven't read on it since writing above. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Turtles, all the way down.

Dan are you familiar with Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett

His two dimensional disc world sits atop a flying turtle that makes its way through the universe...Characters who study the turtle are called Astro-zoologists.

I like your theory on Peripheral where does it end?

message 32: by Dan (new)

Dan (belldl) | 6 comments Yup, I love Pratchett. Its been a while but didnt he do a Discworld bok or two where time travel figured prominently?

message 33: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Dan wrote: "Yup, I love Pratchett. Its been a while but didnt he do a Discworld bok or two where time travel figured prominently?"

Yes, he did. It's called Night Watch. Samuel Vimes accidentally winds up back in time some thirty years earlier, to when his younger self has just joined the Night Watch. A great book, as usual.

Also, in Eric there is a great deal of traveling through time. Also a great book, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

message 34: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 235 comments Mordechai wrote: "Dan wrote: "Yup, I love Pratchett. Its been a while but didnt he do a Discworld bok or two where time travel figured prominently?"

Yes, he did. It's called Night Watch. Samuel Vimes a..."

Ooh. We should add Night Watch to a future reads if it hasn't already been read by the group :)

message 35: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (last edited Feb 19, 2015 07:42AM) (new)

Spoiler safe after reading Chapter 74

(view spoiler)

Characters are so completely bland!!

message 36: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments I just started reading The Peripheral this morning. I'm sorry to say that the first few chapters did not make a good impression on me.

First of all, it reads as if it's a sequel and as if you already know the characters. Secondly, it is completely opaque. I have no idea what many of the terms (specific slang words) actually mean. Thirdly, his pronouns are mostly ambiguous. Just to figure out what the author is referring to with his use of almost any pronoun I have to read the paragraph at least twice.

I'll keep trying, but if not for this group read I probably would have already stopped reading this book.

It's too soon for me to have any opinion abnout any of the characters; for that I must give the author at least a fighting chance.

message 37: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Glynn wrote: "Ooh. We should add Night Watch to a future reads if it hasn't already been read by the group :) "

And what about Eric?

message 38: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Mordechai wrote: "I just started reading The Peripheral this morning. I'm sorry to say that the first few chapters did not make a good impression on me.

First of all, it reads as if it's a sequel and as if you al..."

Chapter 42 is when the book takes a turn for the better...go ahead and read this whole thread Mordechai I think we are all in the same boat on this one...very very confusing writing that assumes the reader knows what he is talking about...

message 39: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments By the way, there is a Terry Pratchett fans group on Goodreads. We are currently reading Mort.

message 40: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Lincoln wrote: "Chapter 42 is when the book takes a turn for the better...go ahead and read this whole thread Mordechai I think we are all in the same boat on this one...very very confusing writing that assumes the reader knows what he is talking about... "

Well, it's going to take some dedication on my part to read this. If I didn't have this group as support, I don't know if I would continue reading that book. But I'm not complaining. I'm very happy to have found this place!

message 41: by Dan (new)

Dan (belldl) | 6 comments Finished it a couple days ago. Spoilers: (view spoiler)

message 42: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Mordechai wrote: "I just started reading The Peripheral this morning. I'm sorry to say that the first few chapters did not make a good impression on me.

First of all, it reads as if it's a sequel and as if you al..."

Definitely keep reading. I would have given up at the beginning, too, if I'd not been reading with a group. I've tried to compile a glossary to help with understanding the lingo at the beginning of the book. You'll find it in Message #3 of this discussion. Everything becomes fairly clear between about Chapter 18 and 23 when one of the characters gives a big info-dump. I would have preferred a better introduction from the beginning rather than having to re-read everything. But it's a great time travel concept novel once you're able to wrap your head around the 2 storylines in the book.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Yourshaw (myourshaw) | 4 comments Finished this recently, and immediately began to read Departure by A.G. Riddle. The former was tough to get into, but about 20% in things began to make sense. The time travel concept was interesting, the characters not so much. Departure, on the other hand, was approachable yet intelligent, another good take on time travel, and peopled with better characters. Character development was not up to Jane Austen standards, but good for SF. The Plato meets Nietzsche meets Ayn Rand angle was a bit over the top. I haven't figured out how this group works yet, but I certainly recommend getting Departure on the list. It will compensate for the upcoming, dreadful (IMHO) Crichton's Timeline.

message 44: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Finished this recently, and immediately began to read Departure by A.G. Riddle. The former was tough to get into, but about 20% in things began to make sense. The time travel concept was interestin..."

Every couple of months, I post a nominations thread in the forum. I always advertise it in the monthly newsletter, so keep a watch out for it.

I quite enjoyed the book version of Timeline, but I found the movie version to be horrible. I'm looking forward to rereading it just to see how I react to it a decade later.

message 45: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (last edited Feb 21, 2015 03:24PM) (new)

80% into the story middle of chapter 94...

I OFFICIALLY GIVE UP!!

I still don't care about any of the characters...The plot moves so sluggishly...I was trying to imagine this book being made into a movie...it would be 15 hours of people talking in rooms.

I was excited to read a purely sci-fi book in the group!

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Feb 23, 2015 01:02PM) (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Lincoln wrote: "80% into the story middle of chapter 94...

I OFFICIALLY GIVE UP!!

I still don't care about any of the characters...The plot moves so sluggishly...I was trying to imagine this book being made into..."

80% is a good stopping point. I just finished and am feeling underwhelmed by the ending and unconvinced of the reason Lowbeer was so desperate to involve Flynne her investigation. 2.5 stars rounded up to 3.

message 47: by Michael (last edited Feb 22, 2015 11:53PM) (new)

Michael Yourshaw (myourshaw) | 4 comments Amy wrote: "Lincoln wrote: "80% into the story middle of chapter 94...

I OFFICIALLY GIVE UP!!

I still don't care about any of the characters...The plot moves so sluggishly...I was trying to imagine this book..."

I, too, gave it the extra pity half point.

Looking forward to Time and Again with peanuts and Cracker Jack in March.

message 48: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Glynn wrote: "Ooh. We should add Night Watch to a future reads if it hasn't already been read by the group :) "

Yes, I quite agree. Though I've read it about a zillion times, it never gets old. Let's read it and discuss it!

message 49: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Amy wrote: "Definitely keep reading."

Sorry, I have given up on that book. It was just too tiresome, too much of a chore. I hate that this happened to the very first book I began to read with this group, but I am not giving up on the group. I love this place. But I'm sorry, even with the glossary, the book is just too opaque.

message 50: by Mordechai (new)

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Lincoln wrote: "I seriously feel like this is the least entertaining book ever written."

I'm with you on that one.

« previous 1