J.D. Robb discussion

Strangers in Death (In Death, #26)
This topic is about Strangers in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Strangers In Death (Feb. 2015) - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10263 comments Mod
First up in February is Strangers in Death. Feel free to join us in reading & discussing this book.

Technology may be different in 2060 New York, yet the city is still a place of many cultures and great divides. But as ever, some murders receive more attention than others—especially those in which the victim is a prominent businessman, found in his Park Avenue apartment, tied to the bed—and strangled—with cords of black velvet.

It doesn't surprise Lieutenant Eve Dallas that Thomas Anders's scandalous death is a source of titillation and speculation to the public—and of humiliation to his family. But while people in the city are talking about it, those close to Anders aren't so anxious to do the same. With some help from her billionaire husband, Roarke, Eve's soon knocking on doors—or barging through them—to find answers.

But the facts don't add up. Physical evidence suggests that the victim didn't struggle. The security breach in the apartment indicates that the killer was someone known to the family, but everyone's alibi checks out. Was this a crime of passion in a kinky game gone wrong—or a meticulously planned execution? It's up to Dallas to solve a case in which strangers may be connected in unexpected, and deadly, ways.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13046 comments Mod
I liked this one.

Michelle | 2292 comments think I'll only get to this next week.

SB*needs low angst books* | 868 comments I loved the Alfred Hitchcock reference in this one. I do think Eve over does the whole I can't take money from you thing. She uses it when it is convenient for her so what is the difference. Does that annoy any one else?

A little, but I understand why she's so fierce about not using his money. It means everything to her to be able to stand on her own and take care of herself. It's important that he always know that his money means nothing to her (except when it's convenient for her cases or her team).

Michelle wrote: "think I'll only get to this next week."

It'll be at least the end of next week for me.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments I'm in. I haven't had a lot of time to participate but my work schedule will be more reasonable next week.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments Jonetta wrote: "A little, but I understand why she's so fierce about not using his money. It means everything to her to be able to stand on her own and take care of herself. It's important that he always know that..."

I agree. She even gives Roarke a hard time when he is feeding the team.

Eve is better about the money in general these days. She doesn't mind him spending money when they are doing something together or when it is one of his functions. She just likes knowing that she can stand on her own.

My guess she asked for a loan from Feeney in the old days if she was short. The reason I say that is she didn't think it strange when Peabody asked to borrow money until payday a few books back.

I agree, Sharon. It doesn't seem to be about asking for a loan...just not from Mr. Moneybags, for all the reasons we've discussed:)

Eve loves Roarke with everything she has and she needs for him to know (which he does) that it is not and never was about his money. Also, I don't think she will ever lose that independent "I can take care of myself" streak that she developed as a child as a means of survival. Roarke has tamed it a little but it is forever there.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments I agree Sandra.

Michelle | 2292 comments finally started. it feels so strange that she come of the previous case and into this. and why that is I don't know.

I felt a little like that too, Michelle. I'll finish this one later today.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments Michelle what do you mean by strange? Is it because we are now reading these books back to back? When I read it the first time it was 5 or 6 months between and it didn't seem strange at the time probably because I was anxiously waiting for the next book and the previous one wasn't so fresh in my memory.

Almost finished. Just purchased Obsession. :-)

I think the opening death scene with the vivid description in this one caused me to pause a moment or two...I thought - Okay, well...Ahemmm...this would be a little awkward to walk in on. Then I couldn't help but snicker at a couple of the descriptive passages...oh my. Then Peabody walks in...haha.

Michelle | 2292 comments I think that is it Sharon. I forget the first time I read these books I was waiting. It really is different reading them back to back like this. Especially as the last one ended is a discussion worthy way.
I
So I just watched the fifty shades movie. So having started this before I went this really is intriguing.
And yes got to love Peabody. Love the girls only idea. And Peabody just had to bring Trina along ! Lol.

It really is fascinating the way Eve's mind works. I love the way Robb writes these books where the reader is privy to the eternal dialogue running through Eve's mind - You can follow her reasoning step-by-step...and see when it all clicks into place for her.

Michelle | 2292 comments I think that is one of the reasons I'm two minded about making naked into a movie. Visually there is only so much that you can put on a screen. Yes it' would be interesting to see how and what etc. but my first love as far as this series is concerned, is the written dialogue. Not just the cases she works but all those relationship building blocks.

Loriidae Michelle wrote: I think that is one of the reasons I'm two minded about making naked into a movie....

I agree, while on one hand I would like to see this futuristic world in images, on the other I have seen so many films where the complexity of the narrative is lost - even when they follow the storyline of the book truthfully.

One of my favorite parts of rereading this series again is rediscovering things that I had forgotten or remembered but just forgot which book they occurred in. As in - Charles & Louise in Strangers...Love what Charles did in this one! And how Eve & Roarke got "sucked" into their "stuff"...as darlin' Eve puts it! lol

I finished Strangers in Death...Eve is methodical in her bid to take down the killer. She disliked her from the minute she saw her and it's personal. She later confesses to Roarke that she stronly reminds her of Magdalena with her conniving, self serving methods of going after someone she wants. Eve sees Magdalena as being capable of murdering Roarke at some point to get it all if she hadn't came in to the picture & saved him! lol Once again, we find lots of little threads being gathered up together and brought forth for another examination and to finally let them go. I think Roarke & Eve turn loose of the baggage finally...in this one.

message 22: by Loriidae (last edited Feb 15, 2015 12:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae For me the crime scenario was a let-down, maybe because strangers on a train has been used as a plot device in several of the tv CSI type shows over the years...still enjoyed all the background details - loved the Charles and Louise scenes and the way Eve is being "sucked into the friendship circus."

Penni | 813 comments Loriidae wrote: "For me the crime scenario was a let-down, maybe because strangers on a train has been used as a plot device in several of the tv CSI type shows over the years...still enjoyed all the background det..."

Just got to this part - how awesome!

I've seen the strangers on a train scenario used before...but I did find it fascinating, as always, to watch Eve's mind work...her thought process as things click into place..ching! ching! chang!! lol

Penni | 813 comments I'm about 70% through. Roarke and Eve just had their disagreement about money. Interesting. They worked it out without too much issue - I like seeing them handle things like that now.

I've actually seen the original movie Strangers on a Train, loved it. This wasn't a bad borrow of the theme, especially as it took some digging to find the connection.

I agree...I actually liked the connection/reference in this one. And as I've said, being inside Eve's head as she works through her clues & murder board & bounces things off Roarke & her team is really fascinating. I thought the strangers killing strangers theme was a good one in this case.

Penni | 813 comments She seems to be partnering with Roarke on this case more than Peabody even. It's interesting to see them work cop stuff together.

I was thinking the same thing, Penni, as I read it. Roarke is more of a partner in the cop sense in this one than Peabody or anyone else. It has become a pattern of sorts...no hesitation or question about pulling in the citizen expert (Roarke) now. It's an automatic. I do love how they've settled into a pattern of sorts and play off each other solving crimes but I miss (just a little bit) the days when it was more of a big deal for Eve to ask Roarke to help on a case.

Penni | 813 comments Yes. They still have an issue or two though to get through on occasion. This one was about money - paralleled of course the murder for money/power/etc.

I loved the last paragraph.

"Roarke settled in her visitor's chair. He took out his PPC and amused himself by checking the storck reports on Anders. He thought it might be quite fitting to buy up the shares formerly owned by Ava Anders. And put them in Eve Dallas's name."

LOL - the stinker.

LOL...Me too! I laughed out loud when I read that ending. Hilarious! And so like him...

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments I like that ending too. Roarke is always looking for gifts for Eve that tie back to a case like the stock and the jewels on the perfume bottle, etc. One time I remember they went to a bar and Eve told Roarke about the first time she went there and he thought about buying it for her. I don't think he did...at least not yet.

I love when there is a lot of Eve and Roarke time so whenever they work together it makes me happy.

This was one of the few cases where Eve dug in early, based on her gut feeling. She knew deep down that it was Ava and spent the time to figure out how it was possible for her to do it given she was out of town. Eve pursued all the other threads because that's who she is but never ignored her instincts.

I found Ava to be the ultimate user, preying on the disadvantaged. Do you think Eve has radar on people like Ava? Does her history give her unique insight? Because she had Ava defined perfectly.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments Jonetta wrote: "This was one of the few cases where Eve dug in early, based on her gut feeling. She knew deep down that it was Ava and spent the time to figure out how it was possible for her to do it given she wa..."

I think she had Ava under the spotlight from the start because she reminded Eve of Magdelana. It was hate at first sight.

Lol! You know, I never thought about that comparison and it sure does explain a lot:)

message 36: by Jonetta (last edited Feb 17, 2015 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

FYI, here's the cast list, behind a spoiler just to control the length of the post.

(view spoiler)

Penni | 813 comments Jonetta wrote: "This was one of the few cases where Eve dug in early, based on her gut feeling. She knew deep down that it was Ava and spent the time to figure out how it was possible for her to do it given she wa..."

I'm sure that contributes to it. She never really goes in believing the best about anyone. They have to earn it.

I hadn't realized a comparison to Magdelana until she admitted to it. I guess because Ava was more prudish. But underneath both users to the max that is true.

Michelle | 2292 comments I'm having problem getting stuck in. Sorry ladies.

You would think that with all Roarke's interests he would skip working with Eve but he always ask about her case. And IMO not just to inquire about her day but genuinely wanting to know. And I also thinks that for him it's more about how Eve's mind works than the case itself.

Penni | 813 comments I agree. He does genuinely enjoy knowing and working with her cases. I think in a way it allows him to use some of his "shady side skills" in a way that is acceptable in his life with Eve. And he is seeing that it's not just Eve that is a good cop, but that there are other good ones also - since his past had initially led him to trust not a one of them. And of course, he gets more Eve time - gets to see her in action and enjoys being with her.

I think working with Eve on these cases & getting closer to some of the other cops is changing Roarke's perception of the "cops" a bit. But then, I think Roarke has learned by now that there is good & evil in people...and sometimes, it's cloaked by an official uniform of some type. So, yes, more trusting of the police as in those connected to Eve that she trusts. I think some of it is also that he's being accepted more by them also. Some of them love for Roarke to help on a case - plus he feeds them well! lol I also think he's like a kid in a candy store when he can use his "skills" to help out...he needs the thrill.

Eve senses "users", I think...she seems to have a built in radar and it went off the first time she met Ava...and Magdalena.

Michelle | 2292 comments Well done Peabody. And all that Roarke said. Eve trained her well. Had to smile when she got a tube of Pepsi from vending.

Silly question. Eve talks about Roarke's unregistered in front of Peabody, have I missed something? I thought that was still a secret as far as Peabody was concerned. I think McNab and Feenay have worked out that he has one but just never says anything as egeeks would. Just thought it was something Eve still keeps to herself.

Penni | 813 comments Michelle wrote: "Well done Peabody. And all that Roarke said. Eve trained her well. Had to smile when she got a tube of Pepsi from vending.

Silly question. Eve talks about Roarke's unregistered in front of Peabo..."

That surprised me too.

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Feb 18, 2015 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2292 comments I must say clever Summerset to talk over the speakers. That was classic!! Lol.and you know he was watching her. And that all after she was worried about him too.

Penni | 813 comments Michelle wrote: "I must say cle really Summerset to talk over the speakers. That was classic!! Lol."

She can run, but she can't hide lol

Michelle | 2292 comments Lol

Michelle | 2292 comments and Feenay with the flu. Had another grin with his gripping about the common flu still not irradiated.!

A lot of sweet/ softer moments in this one. Tiko, Feenay being sent home, her worrying about Summerset when her wasn't waiting for her. And all the scenes with Roarke and Eve.

Penni | 813 comments Michelle wrote: "and Feenay with the flu. Had another grin with his gripping about the common flu still not irradiated.!

A lot of sweet/ softer moments in this one. Tiko, Feenay being sent home, her worrying ab..."

Yes - Eve has a lot more to worry about these days.

Loved Tiko and his grandmother. And the lemon pie. Yum.

I really liked the lemon pie scene...both grandmother giving it to Eve & thanking her...and Eve (or Roarke) serving it up to guests. Nice touch.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2283 comments In the beginning I think Roarke wanted to work with Eve because he wanted to protect her. The more he works with her and her team the more he appreciates the work they do. Now in addition to being there to protect Eve he likes to contribute to their success.

I love the pie scenes too. I'm a Tiko fan. I hope he appears in more books in the future.

Penni | 813 comments Yes, that is a good point. He tries hard to hold himself back, but he wants to be there in case. Tiko would be fun to see in the future true.

« previous 1