Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Random Topics/Off-Topic > Reading block - have you experienced this?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments I love books and usually always have a book/audiobook on the go. However, after a recent family bereavement I have found myself - for the first time - unable to read! I just can't seem to get into any story. It's almost as though I can't enable myself to escape into the fantasy reading provides because I just need to be fully present in the 'real' world, to stay with and assimilate what has happened.
This block against reading came as a total surprise to me. I never suspected my hobby of reading might become affected!

So, my question is, have you ever experienced a reading block, and why?

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Sometimes that happens with me. When it does I go to old favorites, ones that I know front and back, ones that will bring a smile back on my face. It doesn't usually take more than 1 or 2 of these before I dive back in.

I hope you find your way out of this and things start looking better for you!!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandyy1603) | 12 comments Yes sometimes I have, I have been a litlle the same after times of bereavment, feeling guilty about escaping the real world maybe.I went through a phase after I had to start using reading glassses, not sure why.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I'm sorry for your loss, Natalie. You might just need to give yourself a reading break. Do something else that you enjoy.

I was pretty down in the dumps at the end of last year because of some family situations, and I did have a pretty good reading slump. I hope it gets better.

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Natalie wrote: "I love books and usually always have a book/audiobook on the go. However, after a recent family bereavement I have found myself - for the first time - unable to read! I just can't seem to get into ..."

Natelie I'm sorry for your loss. To answer your question, yes it has happened to me too. It was almost under the same circumstances that you described. After my dad died, I couldn't, and didn't want get lost in a romance. It felt off, and couldn't concencentrate anyways. As corny as it is, I started reading things like Chicken Soup for the Soul help clear my head. I never read thing like that.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) Happens to me too.....like Darcy I tend to go back and reread/listen to my old favorites to get me back in the swing of things

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments Thank you for your kind words. And interesting to see that having a reading block seems to be quite a common thing!
I suppose so much of our emotions go into reading a book and the journey the story takes us on too.
This reading difficulty certainly had been puzzling me though as at other times in my life, during illness for example, I have turned to stories and found the enjoyment wonderful for getting through.

I think re-reading favourite books is a good idea.
And Danielle, yes, I've been spending time doing other non-book related things, mainly creative crafts and drawing. Strangely enough music was fine too, just the reading part I had the problem with!

I think the block is lifting somewhat now too :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I'm really glad to hear your block is clearing up, Natalie. You know, it's interesting that when my father died, I read so many books in a short period, but with the emotional family stuff I went through this time recently, I couldn't read as much. I guess your brain knows what it needs to allow you to heal.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments I'm sorry to hear that Jazzy. It's sweet that you two could share your love for books together though.

I'm so sorry about your loss, Jazzy. I hope it gets better soon. Try to do some other things you enjoy for a while.

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments I'm sorry for your loss Jazzy. It's interesting that you still find it difficult to read as much as you used to before your grandmother died. I still find I'm unable to read as frequently as I used to nearly 2 years after losing my own grandparent. I always had a book on the go but it's far more intermittent now.
On the other hand, my mum is now the other way and reads more than she ever has before since losing her dad. She really enjoys the relaxation of reading and finishes multiple books a week! It's interesting how it effects each of us differently.