Rated YA-MA discussion

Code Name Verity
This topic is about Code Name Verity
Historical Fiction > Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Group Read February 2015)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 01, 2015 08:06AM) (new) - added it

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The group read for February is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

Diane | 1232 comments I started this yesterday and it really was not doing it for me until around 15- 20% I am just now finding it interesting. People who have read this seem to really like it so I still have hope :)

Katharine Edgar | 6 comments CNV was the best book I read in 2013 (and I read a lot that year, so...) - I would definitely encourage anyone flagging at the start to stick with it.
I think it gets more interesting and involving as you get to know the main character better and understand what game she's playing.

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 330 comments i really disliked this book the first time i read it, but I keep hearing the audiobook is the way to go (and I liked the second one when I listened) - I just don'tk now if I'll have to chance to squeeze it in

Christie (cereale) I LOVED this book when I read it last year. I'm hoping to get the chance to reread it this month but I have a lot on my plate so I don't know if I will get to it or not.

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I really want to find the chance to read the book this month. This week it won't be happening but I am hoping for next week.

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I just got this from the library the other day, but I probably won't start it until next week. I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I'm willing to give it a try. Plus it's a group read in another group I'm in, too.

Casey Anderson | 637 comments I just requested from library and was psyched to see they have one available. So expecting a call tomorrow to come get it. Hope to start it as soon as I finish Game of Thrones.

message 10: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments Verity's narrative is a bit disjointed so it may be difficult for people to get a feel for her early on. It was like that for me at first, but by the time it was switching over to Kittyhawk POV I didn't want to let go of Verity.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 199 comments I preferred Kittyhawk's POV but that may have to do with the situation each POV was written under. And now that I've finished, I want to go back and read Verity's POV again.

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Ok I just started and am so not getting it. I guess I didn't read up on it much first but...
So far she's just a whiny traitor coward? I mean, there's more to it than this right?

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 199 comments Casey wrote: "Ok I just started and am so not getting it. I guess I didn't read up on it much first but...
So far she's just a whiny traitor coward? I mean, there's more to it than this right?"

Lol, yes keep reading. The begining of part 2 will be confusing but it sorts itself out in the end.

message 14: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments She's not a whiny traitor coward. She was captured by the Gestapo and is being tortured for information. Verity's half is her written confession for the enemy. You can't really count on her being a super reliable narrator in that situation.

Diane | 1232 comments I am just starting the Kittyhawk part. So far the story is just OK some parts I was intrigued by others I trudged through. I am hoping for a strong finish because so many people loved this book I want to also.

Casey Anderson | 637 comments I guess that's true. It feels whiny. Which I guess is ridiculous of me, as you said, she's being tortured. I'm sure I would have caved immediately and been far beyond whiny.
I'm just not into it. I have to get into a book before I sympathize. Plus it's my moody week. Ignore me, it's me. I'm going to finish it.

message 17: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Bumping so the topic doesn't get lost.

Casey Anderson | 637 comments I'm 3/4 of the way through now, into Kittyhawk's part, and I have started to like it more but I am still confused.

Diane | 1232 comments Just finished - I liked the end 1/3 but for me it was not enough too late for me to really have enjoyed the book as much as so many people. It was hard to get through the writing style for me.

message 20: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 199 comments This is how I envisioned Kittyhawk. Probabaly not very accurate but I like it.

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Oh, nice! I'm happy that someone came up with a visual. I always try to think of one, but rarely find anyone who fits.

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Diane wrote: "Just finished - I liked the end 1/3 but for me it was not enough too late for me to really have enjoyed the book as much as so many people. It was hard to get through the writing style for me."

I had a similar feeling. The first 1/3 I really wasn't into, the 2/3 was better, and the last part was really really good. I mean, that part, you have to know what part I mean, was like a punch to the heart and a kick to the gut.

My emotional response was pretty intense, which is great. The first part of the book could have been so much better...

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Also, I picture Maddie from Foxfire...can't find a good pic though, but it was a movie from the 90s with Angelina Jolie...Maddie was Hedy Burgess I think.

Christie (cereale) I am currently re-reading this book. The first part of the book is so much better the second time around when you know what's coming. I loved the book the first time around but did find the first part a little jarring and disjointed.

Katharine Edgar | 6 comments I love the way you can really tell the author can fly planes. The flying parts are so vividly described.

message 26: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Moving to the Historical Fiction folder where the discussion will remain open.

There is also a companion book for those who were not aware Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2) by Elizabeth Wein