Space Opera Fans discussion

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
This topic is about Leviathan Wakes
Previous BOTM Threads > Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Feb 01, 2015 06:17PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

Big surprise ... Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey won as READER PICK for the month of February.

[*guess everybody's really hoping those rumors about a movie are TRUE, eh?*]

Okay ... here's the specifics:

Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey James S.A. Corey

"Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe..."

Okay ... who's reading Leviathan Wakes? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, tell us what you think, and drop in links to your reviews. Remember ... be kind and use the SPOILER .html if you drop hints so it doesn't spoil the fun for somebody who isn't as far along as you are!

Sarah Wow. Awesome picks this month. Reading this one too.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:39AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Oof! Just realized when I went to pull up the book for the front landing page that we previously read this one as a group as early as last November :-( Sorry guys ... it's disqualified :-(

Packi | 106 comments NOOOOOOOOOO! :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

I got so excited and then this happened! I propose the rules change! Who's with me?!
Edit: I say we get the Time Traveller to undo this! Mwahaha!
Edit 2: I got my warship ready if the Borg Queen doesn't listen to our demands in 24 hours!

message 6: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 53 comments :'(

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I know ... sorry guys ... I'm bummed too. I actually went out and BOUGHT this book hoping it would win :-(

In my defense, we've got another awesome book in its place? And nothing says you can't go ahead and launch your own rebellion, doing your own group read down here in this thread? That's why I didn't delete my write up, but simply moved it down.

Who wants to do a BOOK BUDDY read of Leviathans Wake?

Sarah I do! My library hold came in today and I'll be reading it. :)

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I've got it! Now I've got to find where I threw the darned thing when it came in the mail (all boxes marked 'Amazon' get immediately stashed before the husband sees them :-)

Brendan (mistershine) By coincidence I read this a week or two ago. My feelings about it are complex but in general I did not like it. My thoughts about it are in my review if anyone is interested.

Sarah Lol Anna! Luckily I'm the one who gets the mail!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright! Let's do this!

Jessica  (jessical1961) Just put Leviathan Wakes on hold at my local library. Thing is I put it on hold for the ebook. Never done that before. I have no idea how this works. Guess I'll find out soon. I am the only one on the waiting list.

Has anyone ever checked out an ebook from their local library before?

Sarah I do. I use the Overdrive app. I had to look at what my library told me to do. So I downloaded the app and added my account. It was kind of difficult because their directions were terrible but being able to check books out that way is unbelievably easy and convenient.

Jessica  (jessical1961) I assume I will get an e-mail from the library when it is available for me to download. I always get one for print books that I put on hold. I just hope they don't tell me to go to the library and download it there. :)

Sarah Mine is totally over the internet. It's really amazingly easy and I've kicked myself for not doing it sooner :)

Matthew (coolbreeze85) Love this book and the series.

Daniel (dward526) all right...I am reading it again anyways

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Did anyone starting the book for the first time finish the first Miller chapter yet? What are your thoughts on it?

Monica (monicae) Working my way through this book slowly but surely (at 25%). First thoughts are that so far I'm really enjoying it. I find myself slightly more interested in Holden than Miller at the moment, but Miller is getting better. I know I'm missing some vital clues with Miller, but I'm more interested in the space tale than the planet tale right now.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Miller becomes much more of an interesting character when he starts going insane. Because Holden is in all of the books, he sort of becomes stale. Miller is sort of in all of the books as well, but in a far more interesting way that I won't spoil.

Brendan (mistershine) What I found interesting about Miller was the mismatch between his own self-image and the way he was seen by the people around him. I always like when characters are flawed in that way. For Holden, did anyone else (view spoiler)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Holden did say how he had (view spoiler), but I agree, that was rather downplayed.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) They call that 'woman in the fridge' syndrome. The storyline starts off with a dead wife/girlfriend/sister in the fridge to give the main character motivation without ever stopping to grieve the loss of the woman.

Monica (monicae) Just finished this. I thought it was a good Space Opera. I confess, I thought the ending would go differently. (view spoiler) I will be reading more expanse books in the future.

Jessica  (jessical1961) This is a long book. I have been reading on it for two full days and I am only 13% through with it. Amazon says it is 561 pages.

Monica (monicae) Jeffrey said This is a long book. I have been reading on it for two full days and I am only 13% through with it. Amazon says it is 561 pages.

The amazon kindle version comes with another book called "Dragon's Path". If it says 13% you are probably double. I finished Leviathan at 52%. I like SF more than fantasy and have no intention of reading the other book.

Brendan (mistershine) Monica wrote: "Jeffrey said This is a long book. I have been reading on it for two full days and I am only 13% through with it. Amazon says it is 561 pages.

The amazon kindle version comes with another book call..."

Yeah I got this too and it was confusing. I didn't read the free book either.

Jessica  (jessical1961) Monica wrote: "Jeffrey said This is a long book. I have been reading on it for two full days and I am only 13% through with it. Amazon says it is 561 pages.

The amazon kindle version comes with another book call..."

That explains why there are no chapter divisions on the scale at the bottom showing how much you've read. Also I am now 27% through the book. If I double that then I am more than halfway through the book which explains why some of the plot seems it should be further into the book than the 27% the Kindle says I am.

That is good to know, Monica, as I am with you. I am not real into fantasy so I probably won't read it either.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Leviathan Wakes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James S.A. Corey (other topics)