2015 Snagged @ The Library Challenge discussion

Feb 2015 > Books Read in Feb

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TheGeekyBlogger | 50 comments Mod
This is where we will track Feb Books Read!

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments I just finished Hearts in Atlantis by the great Stephen King. He is an amazing writer. Confession: It is 5 am and I just finished it...and I haven't been to bed. Sheesh. What am I--14? 'Scuse me while I go get a couple of hours of shut eye...and possibly dream about the Vietnam War....

LOL Sunday is my TV day so I didn't get any reading done yesterday :)

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord) (ebogie) | 13 comments Angel wrote: "I just finished Hearts in Atlantis by the great Stephen King. He is an amazing writer. Confession: It is 5 am and I just finished it...and I haven't been to bed. Sheesh. What am I..."
If you were 14 you'd have a flashlight under the covers so you didn't get caught. Isn't being a grown up grand!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) I finished The Billionaire of Bluebonnet (Bluebonnet, #1.5) by Jessica Clare yesterday.

message 6: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Today I finished "An Island Christmas" by Nancy Thayer. It was kind of a disappointment for me. She is an author that I try to read her books as soon as they come out, but I did not even care enough to finish her last book and this one, I only finished because it was so short. The characters were just not that appealing.

message 7: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Today, I finished "Rain on the Dead" (Sean Dillon #21) by Jack Higgins. This series is another one of my guilty pleasures. Love the characters and the good over evil stories. Books always go quickly and are enjoyable reads for me. For those who haven't ever read any of these, Sean Dillon is ex IRA who instead of going to an English prison when caught, goes to work for the "Prime Minister's Army" waging war on enemies of England and terrorists, al-Qaeda, etc. In this installment, Sean and one of his cohorts begin by preventing an assassination attempt on a prior US President by al-Qaeda operatives, beginning this new adventure.

message 8: by Lea (new)

Lea (leasummer) Today I finished Almost Famous Women by Megan Mayhew Bergman - which I loved even tho I don't typically read short stories.

I checked out on Overdrive (because of course my holds all came thru in the same day!) Bad Feminist and book 1&2 of Jill Shalvis' Animal Magnetism series.

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I finally finished The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer a couple of days back. It was pretty slow paced but I did enjoy it.

message 10: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments Just finished The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. He really writes some good youth lit! I was especially impressed how he successfully spread the POV among all 7 of the main characters. A really fun read.

message 11: by Sandi (last edited Feb 07, 2015 04:16PM) (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments The Good Girl by Mary Kubica Today I finished The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. It was an audio that I downloaded from the library and I saved 20.95 according to Amazon for the audible price.

message 12: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Sandi wrote: "The Good Girl by Mary Kubica Today I finished The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. It was an audio that I downloaded from the library and I saved 20.95 according to Amazon for the audible price."
Sandi, How did you like this one? It's one of the winter selections on She Reads and I was reading some of the reviews here on Goodreads and it seems most people either liked it or hated it, which side are you on?

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments BJ, I was very intrigued by it. I have to say I enjoyed it, and am glad that I listened to it.

message 14: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Insatiable Appetites Finished Insatiable Appetites by Stuart Woods today. The Stone Barrington books are one of my guilty pleasures. They are just quick enjoyable reads which take me into a world not my own, New York, LA, London, Paris, bullet proof cars, personal Gulfstreams, butlers, luxury hotels, vacation homes, the CIA, the White House. Love this series!

message 15: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) I just finished My Teenage Dream Ended by Farrah Abraham . I am a fan of the Teen Mom series, so I really enjoyed it.

message 16: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Just Finished Eyes Only by Fern Michaels yesterday, the latest in the Sisterhood series. I have enjoyed this series. It's a light and easy read and sometimes, its just nice to see people get what they deserve!

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth P Starting up My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) by Bec McMaster today. And I've already checked out Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day to read next (for VF book club).

message 18: by Angel (last edited Feb 13, 2015 08:24AM) (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments Yesterday I picked up Landline by Rainbow Rowell at the library. Got home and read 3/4 of it in one sitting! What a fun read!

message 19: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments Oh, and I finished it a couple of hours ago. Quick read--even for me.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth P Angel wrote: "Oh, and I finished it a couple of hours ago. Quick read--even for me."

I love it when fun books just fly by like that!

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments I've been busy car shopping and not reading at all! I finally made my car decision and had time to finish the audio of The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich The Sweet Spot by Stephanie Evanovich. I enjoyed this and her other story Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich Big Girl Panties

message 22: by BJ (last edited Feb 15, 2015 04:34PM) (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Finished Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen. I had great hopes for this book, it sounded good, but it just wasn't "magical" for me. The writing was good, but I just never connected with any of the characters. I just found myself struggling to finish it. I know that I'm in the minority about this because her books have gotten great reviews on Goodreads and other book blogs on the internet, so if it sounds good to you, there is a good chance that you will like it. You'll have to make your own decision about it.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord) (ebogie) | 13 comments BJ wrote: "Finished Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen. I had great hopes for this book, it sounded good, but it just wasn't "magical" for me. The writing was good, but I just never connected ..."

I think when you hear too much good or bad about something it skews your perception when you first encounter it. That happens to me a lot. I found Lost Lake nice, but not as good as someone her other things.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy Stabenow | 1 comments Lost Lake was my least favorite of all of her books, including her new one, First Frost. Don't let it stop you from reading the rest of her books.

message 25: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (bookboss) I agree aboutLost Lake. I did enjoy it, but I just felt like there was too much going on and I never got to really know each character's story fully.

message 26: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrab) Ahhhh!!! Help. I'm in pain...I can't find a good book to read! Seriously, I have picked up 4 or 5 books in the last week, read 40 or 50 pages and tossed them. When that happens usually a historical romance will get me over my "book block" but it's not working.
I picked up a few romances from the library and they were boring.
I've got one more left
Someone to Watch Over Me Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Then it's back to the library for me.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord) (ebogie) | 13 comments Debra wrote: "Ahhhh!!! Help. I'm in pain...I can't find a good book to read! Seriously, I have picked up 4 or 5 books in the last week, read 40 or 50 pages and tossed them. When that happens usually a historica..."
Go check out some of our lists and see how you compare. You'll probably find something. I just reviewed a historical e-book.

http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2015/02/se...

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrab) Elizabeth wrote: "Debra wrote: "Ahhhh!!! Help. I'm in pain...I can't find a good book to read! Seriously, I have picked up 4 or 5 books in the last week, read 40 or 50 pages and tossed them. When that happens usual..."

Thanks Elizabeth. I will check out the list.

message 29: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments Debra - I seem to be having the same problem this week, maybe it's the weather?? I have about 6 unread books from the library and lots of Nook, Kindle and real books on my shelf and nothing appeals. I've tried starting all the library books and nothing is drawing me in. I've just been catching up on TV and movies that I've DVR'd. Hope we both find something good soon.

message 30: by Lea (new)

Lea (leasummer) I finished Brown Girl Dreaming and returned it this week. I'm waiting for O, Democracy! to come through the Zip Books program - which I was super excited to learn will be extended - the federal grant will end in June but the state is going to pick it up after that. (I finished the three a mentioned checking out earlier this month - Animal Magnetism, Animal Attraction and Bad Feminist: Essays.)

message 31: by TheGeekyBlogger (new)

Sorry I have been absent a lot of this month (dang work) I have only read 2 library books but I have checked out cookbooks like a freaking demon. I love the cookbook section at my library :)

message 32: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments Just finished The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. (Yes, there are still people who haven't read it.) Fun conspiracy theory stuff, provided you remember it is fiction. But....I solved the riddles way ahead of the characters. Not sure if that was intentional to make the reader feel smart or what.

message 33: by BJ (new)

BJ (GoodreadscomLilcLdy57) | 131 comments TheGeekyBlogger wrote: "Sorry I have been absent a lot of this month (dang work) I have only read 2 library books but I have checked out cookbooks like a freaking demon. I love the cookbook section at my library :)"

Ooohh, right up my alley. Something I inherited from my mom, she always likes looking at cookbooks, and trying new recipes. I always check out the cookbook aisles when I go to the library or Barnes and Noble.

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrab) Just started reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
I like it a lot so far

message 35: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments Angel wrote: "Just finished The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. (Yes, there are still people who haven't read it.) Fun conspiracy theory stuff, provided you remember it is fiction. But....I solved the riddles way a..."

I haven't read it either, and don't know if I ever will!

Sandi

message 36: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments Debra wrote: "Just started reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
I like it a lot so far"

I will be interested in what you think when done. I really liked it. Thought there were some interesting twists.
Sandi

message 37: by Lea (new)

Lea (leasummer) Finished O, Deomocracy! It was good. Haven't decided what I'm going to get next.

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrab) Sandi wrote: "Debra wrote: "Just started reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
I like it a lot so far"

I will be interested in what you think when done. I really liked it. Thought there were some interes..."

Sandi,
I just finished The Good Girl by Mary Kubica and I loved it. It's the best book I've read in a while.

message 39: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments Debra wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Debra wrote: "Just started reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
I like it a lot so far"

I will be interested in what you think when done. I really liked it. Thought there wer..."

Glad you liked it. I liked it too.

Sandi

message 40: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments whoops! Just found one I missed. I read The Staff of Serapis by Rick Riordan back at the beginning of Feb. It was just a short serial I read in less than a day, so I forgot to add it.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth P Well, as predicted, my library usage fell in February. This was mostly due to my push to get through some of the books I had purchased and not read. I still managed to check out 3 books from the library, one for VF book club and two that got me caught up on Bec McMaster's London Steampunk series. Total savings in February: $21.91.

message 42: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments I finished Catch Me by Lisa Gardner in February but forgot to post about it! Thanks to Felicia for getting this from the library for me.

Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6) by Lisa Gardner

message 43: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (msrbshil) | 71 comments If I added correctly the audios I did from the library saved me $57.85.

Sandi

message 44: by Angel (new)

Angel Parrish | 109 comments I saved a total of $34 in February by using the library!

I always figure it according to the Kindle price (if available) even if I read it in hardback, because that's how I would have gotten the book if I'd bought it.