2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

. Week 7: Nonhuman Characters > Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Narma (last edited Feb 01, 2015 05:43AM) (new)

Narma | 49 comments I'll be reading Kafka's The Metamorphosis for week 7. I always wanted to read this, or a work from Kafka. My expectations are pretty high, since Kafka is a well recognized author.

This is also a small book, and I think I'll have a pretty busy week on week 7.

message 2: by Tomás (new)

Tomás | 1 comments I'd love to discuss about this book. I've just read it ^^

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (tjlich) I am so excited to read this, but I'm not reading until week 50, a banned book. I also have high expectations. Perhaps I will read 2 books for week 7, nonhuman characters... this one and the one I have planned, The One and Only Ivan. Then I can get in on the discussion here. And read a different book for week 50.

Need to think about that.

message 4: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments TJ wrote: "I am so excited to read this, but I'm not reading until week 50, a banned book. I also have high expectations. Perhaps I will read 2 books for week 7, nonhuman characters... this one and the one I ..."

TJ, is it really a banned book? I did not know that.

message 5: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments Tomás wrote: "I'd love to discuss about this book. I've just read it ^^"

Hi Tomas, I probably won't get to reading it until mid week, as I'm doing this for a reading challenge, and this book I've scheduled for the following week.

message 6: by Tina (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:14AM) (new)

Tina (tjlich) Hi Narma! Yes, this was a banned book. Have you ever looked up a list of banned books? Unbelievable, the books that have been banned at one time or another!

Not sure what you know about banned books, I knew nothing until I started researching my book choice for week 50. A banned book means it was banned from certain public areas such as libraries and schools at one time or another. Well, it's more complicated than that, but basically, it doesn't mean the books are difficult to find today, just that they may have been publicly "unavailable" at one time. Even the Harry Potter series was banned in some places!

message 7: by Narma (new)

Narma | 49 comments TJ wrote: "Hi Narma! Yes, this was a banned book. Have you ever looked up a list of banned books? Unbelievable, the books that have been banned at one time or another!

Not sure what you know about banned bo..."

I was researching for that category too, but I don't think I saw Metamorphosis. I was planning to read another book for that week, something that is perhaps still controversial to this day. I'm not sure how I'm going to access it. I live in Singapore, and we have access to some books that are banned in the US and some other countries, but then there are books banned here as well. For example, Mein Kampf is available here but The Satanic Versus from Rushdie (which I want to read) is not. I think the banned books category is going to be the most interesting.

message 8: by Raeann (new)

Raeann (broadwaypants) This is one of my favorite of Kafka's stories. I highly recommend Willa and Edwin Muir's translation, for anyone planning on reading this in English.

I hope you enjoy it, Narma!

message 9: by Meran (new)

Meran I read it a long time ago, in college, so we got to discuss it at some length. I'm sure I won't remember all of that, but I LOVED the story itself!

Talk about transformation during puberty! Lol

Hm. Translation could be important! I hadn't thought of that. I no longer have the book, so I can't check what translation I read back then. Darn.

message 10: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) Did you enjoy it Narma? I love Kafka's works. I read this one a long time ago, I need to reread it! My favorite from Kafka is The Trial which I recommend.

TJ I was really surprised about banned books when I start researching the subject as well. The American Library Association has lists of the most challenged book for each year from 2001 and 2013 (you can find them here). It really amazes me how some books are still banned from public libraries and schools.