Start by marking “The Metamorphosis” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  823,347 ratings  ·  25,851 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 0553213695 / 9780553213690

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect. He was laying on his hard, as it were armor-plated, back and when he lifted his head a little he could see his domelike brown belly divided into stiff arched segments on top of which the bed quilt co
Published March 1st 1972 by Bantam Classics (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Metamorphosis, please sign up.
Marie I'll try to answer too, because Franz is also from Czech where he lived but wrote his pieces in German.
Franz was a very depressed individual and his …more
Franz was a very depressed individual and his childhood was hard, somehow it shows how he really felt in this book. His father had very high expectations from him and beat him a lot if he did a little mistake both physically and mentally. But it didn't mirror his life fully, he did it to break free from the world he lived but always put pieces of himself into the books. You can actually see how he felt smaller and smaller only by looking at the names of the characters. In this book he named the character as "Gregor Samsa", in the Trial his character is only named as "Josef K." and in The Castle the character is only a "K.".
Franz also destroyed a lot of his work already and publishers knew that the work would never be as Franz meant it to be and you can only guess what he meant by the words he wrote.
He was also very shy and he wanted to run away every time someone got close to him. He craved attention and romance, but he couldn't do it because his confidence was destroyed and everytime he ran. But sometimes he couldn't, like the big bug couldn't open the door and leave, he was trapped with the family he knew he disappointed. (less)
Annemary Noble Metamorphosis was first written by Ovid; it's about the changing of gods, demi-gods and heroes. Kaffka (as I know) wanted to show the 'modern' changin…moreMetamorphosis was first written by Ovid; it's about the changing of gods, demi-gods and heroes. Kaffka (as I know) wanted to show the 'modern' changing of people: if one becomes useless his family will not care about him (same things may happen to old and sick people as well). (less)

·  823,347 ratings  ·  25,851 reviews

Start your review of The Metamorphosis
Miranda Reads
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
description
Here's a link to a BooktTube Video - all about the fabulous (and not so fabulous) old books I've read.

The Written Review

UPDATE FEBURARY 2021

At this point, it's become a yearly tradition to check back on this and see whatever shtstorm happened over the year.

I think my favorite comments are when people are upset that my review is the most popular & they say it doesn't deserve its position.

It's like...lol...what? Do you think I'm going around making nearly a thousand fake a
Dan
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, oldies
Gregor Samsa wakes up one morning to discover he's been transformed into a giant beetle-like creature. Can he and his family adjust to his new form?

The Metamorphosis is one of those books that a lot of people get dragooned into reading during high school and therefore are predisposed to loath. I managed to escape this fate and I'm glad. The Metamorphosis is quite a strange little book.

Translated from German, The Metamorphosis is the story of how Gregor Samsa's transformation tears his family apa
Petra is living in luxury in FtL but for how long?
A paraphrase. When my (ex)husband went out one evening from unsettling dreams of how faraway his wife was, he went out drinking and whoring. Next morning he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous vermin. A cockroach. Much he knew it though. None of his friends recognised it, in fact they preferred the cockroach to the person he had been and he had a great time. When it was time for him to come home, armour-plated as he was he crushed his wife underfoot (well fists and kicks, but same ...more
Rebecca
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I once used my copy to kill a beetle.
Thereby combining my two passions: irony and slaughter.

*wields*
Gaurav

Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis can quite easily be one of Franz Kafka’s best works of literature- one of the best in Existentialist literature. The author shows the struggle of human existence- the problem of living in modern society- through the narrator.

Gregor Samsa wakes in his bed and finds himself changed into an a mammoth bug- the vermin; he battles to discover what really has transpired, he checks out his little room and everything looks ordinary to him anyway it gets a pec
Nicole
Gregor waking up one morning as a bug was a hilarious analogy of the effects an illness can have on someone, as well as on those who are close to him. Though the underlying story behind the hilarity of the analogy was anything but funny. I took it as more of a warning of what NOT to do when a loved-one is afflicted by some unfortunate disease or circumstance. I found his resistance of acknowledging to himself that he had become a bug in the beginning of the story to be very interesting. When he ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Die Verwandlung = The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka

The Metamorphosis is a novella written by Franz Kafka which was first published in 1915.

One of Kafka's best-known works, The Metamorphosis tells the story of salesman Gregor Samsa who wakes one morning to find himself inexplicably transformed into a huge insect and subsequently struggling to adjust to this new condition.

The novella has been widely discussed among literary critics, with differing interpretations being offered.

The Hunter Gracchus is
Adina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4* for the novella + 1* for Benedict Cumberbatch narration ( I adore his voice).

A family (mother, father and sister) are forced to become responsible and find jobs when the son, the sole provider of the family, has a sort of a disease and cannot work anymore. As he becomes useless he is marginalized and despised. I almost forgot, the disease is that the son wakes up in the morning as a cockroach.

Methamorphosis is considered one of the best books ever written which is quite remarkable consideri
Glenn Russell
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Kafka’s classic tale written in 1912 is about the changes that can come about in our lives. Up until the very end, the entire tale takes place in an apartment of a mother, father, son and daughter. The son is unfortunately unable to continue to perform his job as a traveling salesman and support his family financially. This abrupt change forces the father, mother and daughter to exert more energy in their lives and take steps to earn money. Here is a word about each member of the family:

The Fath
Vit Babenco
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some modern personal transformations are no less dramatic than those immortalized by Ovid
One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a horrible vermin. He lay on his armour-like back, and if he lifted his head a little he could see his brown belly, slightly domed and divided by arches into stiff sections. The bedding was hardly able to cover it and seemed ready to slide off any moment. His many legs, pitifully thin compared with the siz
Ahmad Sharabiani
Die Verwandlung und Der Jäger Gracchus = The Metamorphosis and The Hunter Gracchus, Franz Kafka

s.penkevich
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Nabokov
It was no dream.

Gregor Samsa awakes one day, changed forever. How unpredictable is life, one moment leading to a new labyrinth of existence where forward is the only motion available, our scars and choices following us in a tuneless parade with few interested spectators. Despite our lives being a personal struggle, it is constantly judged, criticized and appraised by all those whom we encounter. Oh, the injuries we inflict upon one another. We alienate and assume instead of communicate, we fear
jessica
there was a trend going around on tiktok for a while where girls would ask their boyfriends, ‘if i were a worm, would you still date me?’ those girls are literally this MC, except gregor samsas tiktok would be him asking his family, ‘if i were an insect, would you still love me?’ and the answer is a hard NO.

at face value, i found this to be a rather weird and super depressing story. and this book is a perfect example of why i have such a love/hate relationship with stories that are considered c
Henry Avila
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregor Samsa awakes from a bad dream, into a mad nightmare, as he struggles, stuck in his own bed this weary, young traveling salesman, has overnight been miraculously transformed... incredibly Gregor is now a hideous bug, a dung beetle , or even a cockroach does it really matter what ? He has missed his train in more ways than one, but Samsa, is a real trooper, still thinks he can catch the locomotive and make that vile business trip, eventually getting off the bed with great difficulty, just a ...more
JV (semi-hiatus)

My ever dearest Kafka,

It has come to my attention that you've left a manuscript behind pertaining to the extermination of vermins. So my eccentric little self decided to pick up a copy of yours hoping to annihilate pests of the worst, possibly, the most malicious kind, only to find out you didn't offer such trick. Well, woe is me! There goes me gay self screaming and running away from flying roaches! Ackkkk! Shoooo! Oh bollocks, you could've helped! Interestingly, what I discovered was a lustrou
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Any day you wake up as a cockroach is a shit day.
Sean Barrs
Surreal, inexplicable and unusual, Kafka explores the futility of human existence. Or does he?

Gregor Sansa is turned into a bug and through the process he realises just how insignificant he is, how insignificant we all, ultimately, are in the greater scheme of things. He was his family’s backbone, holding them up, supporting them financially whist they took the easy path. However, when that backbone is removed the unit adapts; it carries on and finds new means of survival. The most important me
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

"Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt." - "As Gregor Samsa was waking up one morning from restless dreams, he discovered in his bed that he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug." (my own translation)

This novella starts with a shock, but ignores the "why" and "how" (I don't think anyone in the book ever asked either of those questions) in favor of exploring Gregor's and his family's reactio
Lisa
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One morning a young man woke up and decided he didn't want to leave his room. He felt at odds with the world and wished he could opt out of his busy life.

He knew he was unlikely to get away with skipping school, so he thought about how to find a perfect excuse. His eyes fell upon the half-read copy of Kafka's Metamorphosis he had left beside his bed, and was pleased. When his stressed mum banged on the bedroom door and yelled that it was time for breakfast, shower and school, he answered:

"I ca
Justin Tate
Aug 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregor’s transformation into a bug is no ordinary plight, and yet the fallout of this event is bitterly recognizable. Relatable, even. In fact, I associate myself with Gregor so exactly that it is almost as if Kafka had been writing—in his veiled, symbolic way—about my queer anxieties, just as they are today, in this summer of 2021.

For context, let me briefly address what’s going on in my life before getting into the novel.

I am a thirty-two year old gay man who recently “came out” to his deeply
Kevin Ansbro
"I am constantly trying to communicate something incommunicable."
— Franz Kafka

Taking bedbugs to a whole new level, travelling salesman, Gregor Samsa, wakes one morning to find himself transformed into a giant beetle.
Rather than waving his legs and antennae in the air, screaming, "Omigod! Omigod! I’ve turned into a frigging cockroach!" he keeps his composure and goes about his daily business with a selfless determination. His family, by way of contrast, are a selfish, unpleasant bunch and mer
Kevin
So, this business man wakes up one morning to discover that he has somehow mysteriously morphed into a disgusting, putrid, orangey cockroach.

No, this isn't Donald Trump's autobiography...

Kafka's Metamorphosis played as much to my subconscious anxieties as it did to my conscious ones, like those nightmares most of us have about our teeth falling out, or our home falling apart. I came away feeling like I had just watched a David Lynch film (*see: 'Eraserhead').

I enjoyed this and I'm not 100% sur
Lyn
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Ant-Man, Spiderman and The Fly sit in a café in Prague and discuss Franz Kafka’s 1915 story Metamorphosis.

Ant-Man: What in the hell was that anyway?

Spiderman: Bug man.

Fly: Guys, please, this is a modern classic of existentialism told in absurdist comic fashion. It’s an allegory about isolation and alienation, and ultimately a rejection of modern ideas about materialism and family unity. Kafka was decades ahead of his time, he quite literally influenced literary movements following him.

Spiderman:
Luís
In 1915, this novel defied time and had not aged a bit. The narration is slow, oppressive, repetitive, and better to support the surreal dimension of Gregor's condition. The immobility to which he has forced nails us to the ground. Everything takes place behind closed doors in his room, and the feeling of suffocation is very intense.
The major metamorphosis is not of Gregor but the Samsa family in the face of the degraded state of their son and brother. The alienation in which they live makes no
Reading_ Tamishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The emotions hit me right.
The characters relatable.
Family issues well brought up.
Everyday family struggles with such a character to handle with everyday, the shift of responsibilities, the change in the nature of human beings well displayed.
The characters may be a bit detached or too overwhelming. The storyline a bit mundane and underwhelming.
The best part is the solid writing style.
For me, this did it. And made it an interesting read.
It was a good, classic one time read ✳️
It won't be a fav for
Samra Yusuf
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was a child,I used to get myself hide for some time and animatedly hear what’s everyone saying about my disappearance……we all are walled up by insecurities, incarcerated by uncertainties, captivated by absurdities and haunted by fears of losing the people we love so helplessly …………
Kafka touches delicate strings of relations, with such audacity and ingenuousness that Metamorphosis becomes a voice on drum even after more than 100 years of its publication..
Kafka’s writings largely originated
Cecily
NOTE: Some of the stories in this edition have also been published in separate collections, and those ones are reviewed under those titles (links included here).

Many are short, poignant vignettes, rather than stories, though some have a surreal/magical angle. A definite voyeuristic slant to several (two are explicitly titled about looking through a window).

Metamorphosis

The provider turns parasite, and in giving up his life, liberates his family.

It's a surreal situation: Gregor wakes to find hi
James
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Metamorphosis, written in 1915 by Franz Kafka. I think most people are familiar with the premise of this book, and rather than do a normal review, I thought maybe I'd question how on earth Kafka came up with this one? It was such a great way to tell the story and teach a lesson... a man wakes up as a giant beetle? (I secretly suspect he came across a huge cockroach in his apartment while in NYC one day). And how do you deal with such a change? Your
Kathy
May 09, 2007 rated it did not like it
Technically I read this book in German, and if I could give it zero stars, I would. I read the first sentence (in German, mind you) around 3:30 in the morning earlier this semester, and was convinced I was loosing my mind and that I couldn't be translating it right. It read: "Gregor Samsa awoke on morning to discover that he had somehow transformed into a giant cockaroach". After typing the sentence into freetranslation.com and finding out I actually had read and translated it correctly, I thoug ...more
Michael
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A strange fable about a young traveling salesman who metamorphosizes overnight into a monstrous insect, rendering him unable to work and useless to his family, who scrambles to feed his relentless appetite and find another source of income to sustain the household. The story’s succinct, cryptic, and written in sardonic prose that doesn’t feel dated; a strong final act elevates the work and lends it lasting power.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add this edition 2 15 Jun 25, 2022 05:14PM
Thoughts about this book? 6 78 Jun 24, 2022 02:47PM
Metamorphosis 32 414 Feb 11, 2022 06:13AM
Catching up on Cl...: Metamorphosis - Revisit the Shelf September 2021 189 409 Sep 12, 2021 09:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: The Metamorphosis: Need clean up and separate 4 243 Aug 31, 2021 02:52AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 9 Aug 07, 2021 09:01AM

• The Great Gatsby
  • The Odyssey
  • Lord of the Flies
See top shelves…
Franz Kafka was one of the major fiction writers of the 20th century. He was born to a middle-class German-speaking Jewish family in Prague, Bohemia (presently the Czech Republic), Austria–Hungary. His unique body of writing—much of which is incomplete and which was mainly published posthumously—is considered to be among the most influential in Western literature.

His stories include "The Metamorph

Articles featuring this book

The joy of reading is universal—that's why we're shining a spotlight on some of the most popular translated books on...
“I cannot make you understand. I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me. I cannot even explain it to myself.” 2280 likes
“As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.” 514 likes