Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in February 2015?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm still working on Pandora's Star on audiobook for our "catch up" in the group reads. Almost at 60% - I almost DNF'd it last week but kept going, and now I'm actually liking it.

Also still on the beta read for Rhune, which won't be released for about a year and a half now. It will go through some revisions, but is pretty damn awesome already. I read four chapters yesterday where I've been limiting myself to one per day so that I can provide feedback. Hah...

I did start Sourcery the other day. Not incredibly far, as I'm using it to fill in between other things. But I'm liking it pretty well and it's a short read.

Then I hope to get to some of these February books.

message 2: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yes, there is something special about his prose. Whether I'm understanding it or not lol.

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments There's some about his prose which puts me to sleep...

message 4: by Nyssa (last edited Feb 01, 2015 08:16AM) (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I already knew it would take me all of 2015 to catch up on 2014 reads, so I will perpetually be a year behind unless some miracle happens and I start reading faster and more consistently than a dead snail taking a salt bath in the mud.

So as to not get too too far behind this year, however, I'm currently reading and enjoying The Rook.
Thank to to whichever of the mods suggested it. It is fascinating, so far.

Edited to Add: This is yet another book I recommended to my hubby,shortly after I started it, and he finished in mere hours. He really liked it, as well, and is looking forward to book #2. He he gives it 4 stars.

message 5: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments I've just started Teresa Edgerton's Goblin Moon. Not far enough into to say much, but I'm enjoying it so far. The world seems interesting and I like the short chapters.

I'm also reading Clifford Beal's The Raven's Banquet (over half done now). The start was a bit slow and didn't grab me, but I'm liking it now the story's got going.

message 6: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I'm starting Battle Royale for another group (I figure since it was my nomination, I should read it. That'd be a first. :P)

But I'm not sure how much reading I'll get in today. I'm going to pick up a friend from work in an hour and then she's invited me for superbowl festivities, so we shall see.

message 7: by Spacechik (new)

Spacechik | 47 comments I've started the second book in the Laundry files, The Jennifer Morgue. This series is not a fast read but it's enjoyable. Placed in Britain with unfamiliar places (to me) and different acronyms, it's slow read and I can't really skip paragraphs or I'll miss something!! Thanks to whomever suggested this series in past comments. Liking it so far.

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I love that series, I just wish they could skip a bit of the techno gobbley-gook... Does that make me a bad person?!

message 9: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Spacechik wrote: "I've started the second book in the Laundry files, The Jennifer Morgue. This series is not a fast read but it's enjoyable. Placed in Britain with unfamiliar places (to me) and different acronyms,..."

My husband has been wanting me to read this series, for ever.

I have the 5 novels currently available, and one of the 3 short stories, but he strongly suggests that I not read Equoid. He said it was too disturbing and disgusting for him, so he thinks it'll be way too much for me - Which of course has piqued my interest. Seeing how I'm iffy about horror, however, its probably best that I heed his warning.

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I enjoyed Equoid. I liked the departure from the computer heavy London office and a jaunt out into the horrors of the country. Interesting side characters, nice build of tension.

But I must say, some of the horror twists I kinda saw coming? Maybe I'm too jaded about female tropes? I don't think that's saying too much. However, like I said, I enjoyed it. I'd recommend it.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "I have the 5 novels currently available, and one of the 3 short stories, but he strongly suggests that I not read Equoid. He said it was too disturbing and disgusting for him, so he thinks it'll be way too much for me - Which of course has piqued my interest. Seeing how I'm iffy about horror, however, its probably best that I heed his warning. "

Good to know! Will avoid - I have a copy of this.

message 12: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes Now I want to read Equoid. I've been debating whether Laundry Files would become my first abandoned series as I can see Stross's schtick wearing thin. That said I absolutely loved Rule 34 and Halting State. So he gets at least two strikes before he's out.

This month seems to be Canadiana for me. I finished A Good Man and am now reading No Great Mischief. Picked up February and Kicking the Sky at the library while I was there. I'm in charge of the selections for the literary bookclub over at MobileRead and I chose Canada as the topic. So if you're interested in Canada go take a look at the list of potentials. I'll probably wait to see what gets voted in before starting anything else.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm currently reading The Dying of the Light - the last book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series.

I kinda keep putting it off, and I don't know if it's because I've become less enamoured with the series as it progressed, or because it's the last and I don't want to finish it.

Maybe a bit of both...

message 14: by Mitch (new)

Mitch Weller | 17 comments Finishing The rise of Endymion.
Plan on read Silk and the horror group read Snowblind..

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Anyone able to give a third opinion about Stross and Equoid?

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) I started Fated and will start The Rook soon. I am also reading K J Parker's Academic Exercises, I have read two of her short stories so far and I really liked them.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) | 120 comments I am starting February juggling a few books based on format and interest...

Audio: Tigana
Large format DTE: City of Stairs
Mass Market Paperback: Kill the Dead
Dragging my thought on Kindle: Dragonfly in Amber*

*This is part of a Series read commitment that I made to myself. I decided to give the second book a serious shot, but I am finding it even more painful than the first. Every day it becomes more likely that I will lem this one.

Coming up (based on library holds that have come in):
In the Shadow of the Banyan
Altered Carbon
Revival
Sharp Objects
The Snow Queen

message 18: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Read and enjoyed Gemini Cell by Myke Cole today. Prequel to his previous trilogy.

I enjoy his shadow ops stuff, but hope he branches out into the world more.

message 19: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I'm struggling with Battle Royale. This book. It's so flipping annoying to actually read. There's just so much wrong with it. I'm so annoyed with just about everything about it. The fact that 15 year olds are dropped on an island and then told to kill each other is the best part. Everything after that is stupid and annoying. The writing, the characters, the repetitive repetitious repeating of things that have already been repeated before, the stupid, stupid characters, the translation, the characters and their idiotic inability to accept reality... I want to stab this book in the face.

I WANT to finish it so that I can see what all the hype is about with this book. But at this point, I'm convinced that this book gets such high praise just because it's become a cult classic, not because there's actually anything good between the covers.

message 20: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Nicki wrote: "Are you reading the new translation, or the older one? I had a lot of issues with the translation too -- I haven't tried the new one."

Umm, not sure. It's the 2003 edition translated by Yuji Oniki.

message 21: by Gene (new)

Gene I finally found time to read the series I have on my to-read shelf for a long time: The Last Apprentice/Wardstone Chronicles (the series title as well as those of individual books are different between UK and US editions).

It is YA horror series with YA being traditional genre, not angst-y romance. I am on the third book and it is fast nice read so far.

message 22: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments I dunno, though, Nicki. I agree that the translation isn't very good... but a lot of the issues I'm having aren't really attributable to the translation. Character development, or lack thereof, character inconsistency, and repetition, etc. The awkward sentence structure, quotation marks for emphasis, and stilted phrasing - all of that, yeah. But translation is definitely not taking the blame for everything that is annoying about this book.

message 23: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I finished Pandora's Star today. This morning I was "2 books behind" on my 2015 Goodreads Challenge.

Now, after finishing that 387 hour audiobook, I'm "2 books behind" on my 2015 Goodreads Challenge.

WTF?

message 24: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Poor Chris. :(

message 25: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments I'm really enjoying Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth. I had a great time reading the previous two books in this series.

message 26: by Kat (last edited Feb 11, 2015 06:10AM) (new)

message 27: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "So as to not get too too far behind this year, however, I'm currently reading and enjoying The Rook.
Thank to to whichever of the mods suggested it. It is fascinating, so far.

Edited to Add: This is yet another book I recommended to my hubby,shortly after I started it, and he finished in mere hours. He really liked it, as well, and is looking forward to book #2. He he gives it 4 stars.
."

Good read. I also gave it 4 stars and am awaiting book 2 to be released this summer.

Next:
1. Rereading the end of The Rook, because I feel like I missed something. Plus I want to read the interview with the author and the book club section.

2. Finish the Kitchen Princess, Omnibus 3 & Kitchen Princess, Omnibus 4, thereby completing my second series of the year.

3. Whatever comes up from my list via the Random.org app, unless something specific catches my attention.

message 28: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Katrina, just as a reminder, we ask for people to use text for title and author, not only cover images. Cover images are difficult for people on mobile devices and small screens.

Thanks!

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 54 comments Yeah, oops! I forgot about it for a minute (I haven't posted in the group in a while). I just changed it a couple of minutes ago.

message 30: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments No problem, just a friendly reminder! :)

message 31: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Becky wrote: "No problem, just a friendly reminder! :)"

This time. Next time the wooden stakes come out...

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 54 comments colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "Becky wrote: "No problem, just a friendly reminder! :)"

This time. Next time the wooden stakes come out..."

Oh, dear! o_o

message 33: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments That Becky's a tough one. ;)

I'm currently reading The Girls at the Kingfisher Club - a reimagining of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story. I found this book because I recently read 'Mechanique' from the same author, and really liked it. This one is written in a similar style, but doesn't have quite the same magic - probably 'cause it's a bit more of a straightforward story. I am still enjoying it well enough, though.

message 34: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments LOL... Don't worry, I'm slow, so you'll have time to get away. ;)

---

I'm reading Wool Omnibus and really enjoying it so far. I'm about 15% into it, and I was pretty much immediately hooked.

message 35: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Becky wrote: "I'm reading Wool Omnibus and really enjoying it so far. I'm about 15% into it, and I was pretty much immedia..."

Wool was awesome. Are you reading or listening to it? I really enjoyed the audio.

I'm currently reading In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. It's the inspiration for Melville's Moby Dick. I'm not typically into non-fiction, but this reads more like a historical fiction novel. It's really interesting, but man is it gruesome at times. I'm not typically squeamish when it comes to books, but I can't eat while reading this book.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "That Becky's a tough one. ;)

I'm currently reading The Girls at the Kingfisher Club - a reimagining of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story. I found this book because I recent..."

I've read reviews for that one that said it was pretty good!

message 37: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "Next:
1. Rereading the end of The Rook, because I feel like I missed something. Plus I want to read the interview with the author and the book club section.

2. Finish the Kitchen Princess, Omnibus 3 & Kitchen Princess, Omnibus 4, thereby completing my second series of the year.

3. Whatever comes up from my list via the Random.org app, unless something specific catches my attention.
"

Scratch that.

#3 will be The Age of Innocence

#4 Will be Random..etc. etc. etc.

message 38: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Yesterday I started the audiobook for Fuzzy Nation.

I just have to say, this is awesome. And so is Wil Wheaton's narration.

message 39: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Loved that book!

I didn't get around to the audio, but if you like it...

message 40: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "Nyssa wrote: "Next:

"

Scratch that.

#3 will be The Age of Innocence

#4 Will be Random..etc. etc. etc. "

So yeah.. That was the plan, but this is the reality.

#s 1 & 2 - ✓ #s 3 & 4 - Not so much.

As I mentioned in After Earth:

Nyssa wrote: "This is why we can't have nice things! (Or reasonably sized TBRs)

I just downloaded Deep Fried and Pickled from Amazon, for the simple fact that I love the title and its free today. I know absolutely nothing about the book. "

Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1) by Paisley Ray

So that is what I'm starting tonight.

Oh, and I did finally read the blurb...it takes place in the 80s - Yay!
I was finishing up junior high, not entering college like the main character, but hey, Nostalgia Road, here I come. :)

message 41: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Nyssa wrote: "As I mentioned in After Earth:

Nyssa wrote: "This is why we can't have nice things! (Or reasonably sized TBRs)

I just downloaded Deep Fried and Pickled from Amazon, for the simple fact that I love the title and its free today. I know absolutely nothing about the book. "

Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1) by Paisley Ray

So that is what I'm starting tonight.

Oh, and I did finally read the blurb...it takes place in the 80s - Yay!
I was finishing up junior high, not entering college like the main character, but hey, Nostalgia Road, here I come. :)
."

Turns out, I'm not in the mood for this right now...Problem is, not sure what I'm in the mood to read. It is way too early in the year to hit a slump, and on a three day weekend at that! *Grump!!*

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I've started several books but nothing is holding my attention, even books i can tell are good. I'm in some kind of slump.

message 43: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I've started several books but nothing is holding my attention, even books i can tell are good. I'm in some kind of slump."

I've been there. It's the worse. :(

message 44: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm currently reading The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess, which is really making me want to reread The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker.

message 45: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Started Karen Memory but it wasn't holding my attention. Read Sixth if the Dusk instead.

Maybe short stories is the way to go, for those of you in a slump.

message 46: by HomeInMyShoes (new)

HomeInMyShoes I'm reading book two of the MaddAddam series now The Year of the Flood and I read the The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland - For a Little While to get on track with Fairyland from an order perspective. I don't seem to be making much of a dent in my open series (there's still eight active ones), but I'm reading some things from them.

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I've a few toss away romances under my belt + currently reading The Rook.

I plan to try to finish up Dark Lord/Derkholm and The Big Fat Surprise.

Note: I'm really proud of myself with The Big Fat Surprise. It's 330+ pages of pure dry article and I typically HATE long form articles. But I've only 100 pages left to read and then done! :)

message 48: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm currently reading On the Edge and it is officially pissing me off!

1. I hate, hate when a character (or characters) have vital information that can save time, grief, even lives but they pull the "I don't want to worry anyone" card.

2. I also hate when someone just did something really important, and [character] should really get as much info as possible, but said character won't even try to listen because they're angry with and/or distrustful of the one who did the really important thing and/or is giving the much needed information.

*Sigh* However, this has all happened in the first 5 chapters of the book, I trust the person who recommended it to me, and I really like the last (and only) thing I read by the author, so I am going to keep reading.

Plus there's a part of me that wants to know which love interest wins, how, and why.

message 49: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'm currently reading On the Edge and it is officially pissing me off!

1. I hate, hate when a character (or characters) have vital information that can save time, grief, even lives ..."

I hated the male MC at the beginning of the book something awful. Made me close to rage-quitting. But then the Ilona Andrews magic kicked in and I was enjoying the hell out of myself.

I do hope that you enjoy it.

message 50: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments It's more of the choices, than the people that are getting to me, ATM, but yeah he's coming across as a piece of work!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.