You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > Feb 2015 - Spelling Bee Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 188 (188 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Scoring for February 2015 monthly challenge - Spelling Bee.

Score all that apply:

TITLE :
5 pts - Is one word and starts with one of letters in FEBRUARY (excludes a, the, an, etc)
4 pts - Contains the word FEBRUARY
3 pts - Contains the word HEART

AUTHOR :
5 pts – If the author was born in February (may have to do some research)
4 pts – If the author is from France
3 pts – If the author walks amongst us (is living).

GENRE :
5 pts - Romance
4 pts - Historical Fiction
3 pts – Paranormal Fantasy

COVER : (based on the edition you read)
5 pts – Has snow on it
4 pts – Has more than two people on it
3 pts – Has a dog on it

PAGES :

2 pts - 200-299 pages long
3 pts - 300-399 pages long
4 pts - 400-499 pages long
5 pts -500+ pages long

Bonus Points :

3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month, 3 pts if there is a doctor in the story.
3 pts – In honour of Hula in the Coola Day, 3 pts if the book is set in Hawaii or a trip to Hawaii is made.
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month, 3 pts if someone eats any fruit but tomatoes and anything else that doesn't fit Janice's connotation of "fruit".

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Example:

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Title: 0 points
Author: 3 pts, she walks amongst us
Genre: 5 pts, romance
Cover: 0 pts
Pages: 2 pts, 271 pages
Bonus: 0 pts

Total points: 10

message 3: by Lanelle (last edited Feb 02, 2015 07:36PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments For this month's challenge, I read Fairchild by Jaima Fixsen. It is a Regency romance. I enjoyed the story, but there was nothing special about it. I gave it a solid 3 star rating.

Now for the points:

Title: one word and starts with F - 5 points
Author: walks among us - 3 points
Genre: romance and historical fiction - 9 points
Cover: no points
Pages: 292 pages - 2 points

Bonus Points:
3 points: doctor in the story - "...her physician explained she was going to have a baby." p. 40
no Hawaii :(
3 points: someone eats fruit - "He had the last remains of an apple in his free hand..." p. 19

Total points: 25

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Good start, Lanelle!

message 5: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments Thanks, Janice. It feels good to have it done. Now to decide which time travel book to read.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments for the February Spelling Bee Challenge I chose to read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. I liked it, I even shed a tear or two at the end.

TITLE : 0 pts
AUTHOR : 3 pts – Living author
GENRE : 4 pts - Historical Fiction
COVER : 0 pts
PAGES : 3 pts - 389 pages long
Bonus Points :
3 pts – lots of doctors in story
3 pts – set in Hawaii
3 pts – eating papaya and pineapple for breakfast

Total 19 points!

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 03, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments That was a great book for all the bonus points. I really enjoyed that book. I have been to Moloka'i a year or so before I read it and was able to picture the scenes.

message 8: by Travis (last edited Feb 03, 2015 09:22AM) (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I finished Time and Again by Jack Finney

399 pages 3 pts
3 pts doctor
3 pts fruit. There was an apple a fruit basket and something else. Guess apple all that matters anyway

9 pts. Definite and I'm calling
4 pts historical fiction
13 pts

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Although it is more historical fiction than sci fi. Do I call it historical fiction? The time travel was a very small portion. The bulk was 1880's NYC

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments What about the cover points, Travis? Snow and multiple people?

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Time and Again by Jack Finney this was the cover audible used Cherie. Why is there a cover with no snow the whole book takes place in winter and is constantly snowing I'll never know

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Although it is more historical fiction than sci fi. Do I call it historical fiction? The time travel was a very small portion. The bulk was 1880's NYC"

209 users rated it as Historical Fiction, so it will count.

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Thanks Janice I obviously wasn't going for a high score with that but could have been a possible for a glue stick but wouldn't want to get that by neglecting points. If someone came in less than that 9 point original score the point is mute anyway

message 14: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I read Counterfait Cowboy
Title: 0 pts
Autor: Living: 3 pts
birthday wanst aviable in the web
Genre: Romance 5 pts
Cover: Snow: 5 pts
Two people: 4pts.
Pages 220: 2 pts
Bonus: the brothers from one of the main character are doctors: 3 pts.
Total: 22pts
The book is predictable, the characters are flat and the history is a chiché... quick read for the challenge and up to greener pastures (not in wild west...)

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Short and sweet, and earns you a badge, Mariab. :)

message 16: by Cherie (last edited Feb 04, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I read Believe Believe by Victoria Alexander by Victoria Alexander

TITLE:
5 pts - Is one word and starts with one of letters in FEBRUARY (excludes a, the, an, etc)

AUTHOR:
She was not born in Feb and was born in the US.

GENRE:
5 pts - Romance

COVER: (based on the edition you read)
5 pts – Has snow on it (mountains in background)
4 pts – Has more than two people on it (4 guys on horses)

PAGES:
3 pts - 300-399 pages long (392)

Bonus Points: sad to say none

Total Points = 25
The dialogue and the first several chapters are the best part of the book, but I admit that I got caught up in the story.

message 17: by Cherie (last edited Feb 04, 2015 12:55PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Time and Again by Jack Finney this was the cover audible used Cherie. Why is there a cover with no snow the whole book takes place in winter and is constantly snowing I'll never know"

Too bad, Travis. This is the cover that comes up in the link Time and Again (Time, #1) by Jack Finney . I am glad you liked it. I thought it was fantastic!

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments At least the book gave you some good points without the bonus points, Cherie.

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Yes, Janice, it wasn't a total waste of time. I was entertained. I was sure they could have needed a doctor or court physician but oh, well. All the author had them eating was stale bread and cheese. They talked about cabbages and rhubarb but nary an apple or a mention of one passed their lips. :0)

message 20: by Elinaly (new)

Elinaly | 113 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Time and Again by Jack Finney this was the cover audible used Cherie. Why is there a cover with no snow the whole book takes place in winter and is constantly snowing I'll never know"

But I still see more than two people on the cover - the tiny people on the photo held by someone :)

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Elinaly wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Time and Again by Jack Finney this was the cover audible used Cherie. Why is there a cover with no snow the whole book takes place in winter and is constantly snowing I'..."

yep, looks like multiple people to me. ☺

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Elinaly wrote: "Travis of NNY wrote: "Time and Again by Jack Finney this was the cover audible used Cherie. Why is there a cover with no snow the whole book takes place in winter and is constantly snowing I'..."

I agree.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Added 4 points to Travis's total.

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I read The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi and it was a 5 star read for me.

Here's my score:
AUTHOR : 3 pts – If the author walks amongst us (is living).
PAGES : 3 pts - 300-399 pages long

Total: 6 pts

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Looks like we have a contender for the glue stick! I'm glad it was a 5 star read for you Sarah.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I couldn't put it down Janice!

message 27: by Amanda (last edited Feb 07, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Amanda Bilney | 288 comments I read People Of The Book by Geraldine Brooks. (A book about books,can it get any better?!?!)

No title points.

AUTHOR :

GENRE :

COVER : (based on the edition you read)
No points

PAGES :

Bonus Points :

3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month, 3 pts if there is a doctor in the story. - multiple doctors in different time periods.
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month, 3 pts if someone eats any fruit but tomatoes and anything else that doesn't fit Janice's connotation of "fruit". - a couple of characters eat figs.

Total: 17 points

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments I read Life After Life

TITLE : 0 pts

AUTHOR :

GENRE :

COVER : (based on the edition you read) Life After Life
5 pts – Has snow on it

PAGES :
5 pts -500+ pages long

Bonus Points :
3 pts – at least 2 doctors make regular appearances
3 pts – lots of fruit being eaten - apples, raspberries, plums

Total points: 23

message 29: by Esther (last edited Feb 08, 2015 06:20PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4312 comments Amazone by Maxence Fermine

TITLE : 5 points

AUTHOR : 7 points
4 pts – If the author is from France

GENRE : 0 point

COVER : 0 point

PAGES : 2 points
2 pts - 200-299 pages long

Bonus Points : 6 points
3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month: They eat a selection of dried fruits

total:20 points

message 30: by Julia (new)

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 140 comments Well, this isn't the best, but it meets the challenge, so I'll add it and see if I do better by the end of the month.

I read Landline by Rainbow Rowell

TITLE: 0 pts

AUTHOR: 3 pts - if the author walks amongst us (is living).

GENRE: 5 pts - Romance

COVER: 0 pts

PAGES: 3 pts - 300-399 pages long

BONUS: 3 pts - In honor of Grapefruit Month: the main character eats an apple with cheese slices.

TOTAL: 14 pts

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments What did you think of the book? I see it won a Goodreads award.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I read Room 702

Title: 5 points
Author: 3 points
Pages 406: 4 points
Bonus: 6 points

Total: 18 points

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1071 comments Not in the Heart by Chris Fabry

Not in the Heart by Chris Fabry

Title:
3 pts - Contains the word HEART

Author:

Pages:
4 pts

Genre: 0 pts

Cover: 0 pts

Bonus: 3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month

Total: 16 points

message 34: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Jennifer wrote: "I read Room 702

Title: 5 points
Author: 3 points
Pages 406: 4 points
Bonus: 6 points

Total: 18 points"

"Told from the omniscient perspective of the room." How was that?

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) It was really good. Some really funny parts and some not so funny.

message 36: by Elsbeth (last edited Feb 11, 2015 01:13PM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments I just realized the book I just read for the Toppler, can be used for this challenge:
Forest - Love, Loss, Legend by Rod Raglin.
- Author is living (no idea when he was born, even after doing some research...) = 3 pts
- Genre, Cover, Pages = 0 pts (it has 194 pages)
- Bonus for docter (Jas, the wife of Matt's best friend is a docter and Matt ends up in hospital twice during this story) = 3 pts
- Bonus for fruit (Matt picks berries when in the forest hiking) = 3 pts
(Matt is the main character)

Total of 14 points!

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I will need a ruling on one part of my points. See below

(5 pts - Romance (It is about a couple and they are in love but it is LitFic not a typical romance) need a ruling on this... )
Bonus Points : can't tell til I read it...
3 pts – In honour of Heart & Stroke month, 3 pts if there is a doctor in the story.
3 pts – In honour of Grapefruit Month, 3 pts if someone eats any fruit but tomatoes and anything else that doesn't fit Janice's connotation of "fruit".

18 points or 23 if you are really kind and give me romance points. This is probably as close to Romance as I am willing to get....

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Awww, Beth. While there is love as a theme, it doesn't appear that anyone has rated it as romance. I searched online, too, and came up with nothing. So, I'll have to put on my meany hat and say no. 18 points. :(

I know there are others in the group who have read the book. Perhaps, they can offer their opinion.

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1879 comments I think the ruling is fair. If it really qualified as romance I wouldn't have gone near it...

message 40: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Beth wrote: "I think the ruling is fair. If it really qualified as romance I wouldn't have gone near it..."

I used to think the same way, Beth, but I have been pleasantly supprised. ☺

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments City of Thieves David Benioff

awesome book!!

TITLE : 0
AUTHOR : 3 pts – walks amongst us (is living).

GENRE : 4 pts - Historical Fiction

COVER : 5 pts – Has snow on it

PAGES : 2 pts - 258 pages long

Bonus : 3 pts if there is a doctor in the story.

Total Points: 17 points

message 42: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1827 comments For this month's challenge I read Stop the Wedding!.
It was a fun, quick read.

Title: 0 pts
Author: 3 pts - author walks amongst us
Genre: 5 pts - romance
Pages: 0 pts - only 182 pages
Bonus: 3 pts - honor of grapefruit month. They ate skewers of proscuitto and cantaloupe for an appetizer.

Total points: 11

message 43: by Jkmays (new)

Jkmays I read A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison by Corbin Addison

3 pts – author is living

3 pts - 300-399 pages long

Total 6 pts.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48777 comments Tracked to here.

message 45: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments One of the books I read for the toppler also works for this challenge. I enjoyed it.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Author: Jamie Ford

Cover: 0
Pages: 2 pts
Author still living: 3 pts
Romance genre: 5 pts
Also is historical fiction: 4 pts (if can count also)
Bonus for doctor in the story: 3 pts
Bonus for eating fruit (peaches): 3 pts
Bonus for Hawaii: 0 pts (there is a mention of Hawaii, but it is in reference to a past trip so I don't think it qualifies)

Total: 20 points

message 46: by Lisa (last edited Feb 16, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I read Rubbernecker Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer by Belinda Bauer

TITLE:
Is one word and starts with one of the letters in FEBRUARY (excludes a, the, an, etc) - 5 points

AUTHOR:
If the author walks among us (is living) - 3 points

GENRE: 0 points

COVER: 0 points

PAGES:
400-499 pages (415) - 4 points

BONUS:
There is a doctor in the story (in honour of Heart & Stroke month) - 3 points

TOTAL - 15 points

I was a bit disappointed in this book after reading numerous good reviews about it. I thought it was going to be a lot darker than it was and I found the writing quite clunky at times. A couple of the characters grated on me too. However, the premise was an interesting one and there were some entertaining parts and a couple of good twists so I gave it 3 stars.

message 47: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1995 comments I read Dark Eden by Chris Beckett
Dark Eden by Chris Beckett

Author: 3 (wasn't able to find any info on his birthday)
Genre: 0
Cover: 0
Pages: 4 (404 pages)
Fruit: need ruling for this. The book takes place on a different planet (the people call it Eden). The flora is quite different than on Earth, but there are whitelantern trees, which according to the book bear edible fruits. The people eat the fruit both fresh and dried several times during the book. Is an "imaginary" fruit like this accepted?

Total: 7 or 10 if fruit accepted

message 48: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Camilla, it probably counts as soon as it does not look, smell or taste like tomatoes. :) Just kidding. Let's see what Madam Tuttifrutti says. :)

message 49: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1995 comments Sandra wrote: "Camilla, it probably counts as soon as it does not look, smell or taste like tomatoes. :) Just kidding. Let's see what Madam Tuttifrutti says. :)"

LOL! I would assume the whitelantern tree fruit is white, but the actual colour of the fruit was not mentioned. Can't say anything about the smell or taste either :-D

message 50: by Sandra (last edited Feb 17, 2015 11:03AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9422 comments Well... it make sense that the fruit of the whitelantern is white, as soon as white is white in Eden and not red. You never now with fantasy - science fiction books. (view spoiler)
Let's stop chatting in the reporting thread!

« previous 1 3 4