Start by marking “Believe” as Want to Read:
Believe

Believe

White Knights, Myths and Magic

Tessa St. James thought as little of love as she did of the Arthurian legend—it was just a myth. But when an enchanted tome fell into the lovely teacher's hands, Tessa found that she had to rethink her curriculum.

Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published July 1st 1998 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believe

Start your review of Believe
Scott Rhee
Victoria Alexander is a best-selling romance novelist with roughly 50 books under her belt. She writes primarily in the historical romance sub-genre, but occasionally she travels out into otherworldly romance sub-genres.

“Believe” (first published in 1998 under a pseudonym) is a historical romance with a supernatural fairy tale twist.

Tessa St. James is a college professor of mythology at a midwestern university. After one of her lectures, she meets an older gentleman who gives her an extremely
Lynn Spencer
I love medievals in general and King Arthur stories in particular, so I thought I'd give this book a whirl. It's a time travel story featuring an English professor who travels back in time and crosses paths with Sir Galahad. Not a bad idea, but the humor fell pretty flat with me and the book just didn't hold my attention. I'm glad to know the heroine is modern and sarcastic and that Galahad has Such. Big. Muscles, but this just wasn't my thing.
Leah
Ultimately, this is how I feel about the book:

Personally, I liked it. I'm a fan of the medieval era, a fan of the King Arthur legend and also a fan of ideas of time travel. All three in one and you've got my interest.

(Jensen Ackles, hello.)

The book is centered around Tessa St. James, who receives an ancient-looking book from her mother and ends up being hurtled through time to the medieval era by a very smart-ass, back-talking Merlin (Wizard Extraordinaire!) who apparently resembles Fred
Catina
I bought this on a whim last week for a "holiday read" - well.... I am having a hard time finishing this one!! It has a hunky knight, wizards, dragons - what more can a girl ask for? For starters - for Tessa to SHUT UP!! She annoyed me so bad - making it hard for me to put myself in her place - or relate to her. For someone supposedly so educated (she is a college professor), Tessa talks like a cab driver from Brooklyn. Obviously, if you travel back in time and spout things like "senior prom" ...more
Barbara ★
Tessa St. James teaches a class on ancient legends and is stuck teaching the one legend she absolutely hates - King Arthur and the knights of the round table. After getting an ancient book as a gift from her mother, strange things start happening. The pages of the book keep changing and out pops Merlin himself. It's laugh-out-loud funny when Merlin appears and yanks Tessa back in time - right into the legend she despises. Now she's expected to go on a quest with Sir Hunk, er...Sir Galahad. This ...more
Angela Moxon
Dec 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
I don't normal write BAD reviews. I will complain about a couple things here and there but very rarely do I find a book I can't even finish. Unfortunately this is one such book.

First of all Tessa, the "Heroine" is such a crass, ditzy thing! I mean I like a girl who is sometimes a space brain cause heck, I AM A SPACE BRAIN! But for Gods sake this woman just would not shut up! And the main male character, talk about a testosterone laden idiot!

Hey look, I'm all for a good cheesy romance at times
Sasha Martinez
A long time ago, I had a bootleg copy of this novel, and I remember being so charmed by the tale, so amazed by the inventiveness—scholar goes back in time and helps Galahad find the Holy Grail. And I was mad with the delight of rediscovering this and then—Oh god, oh god, oh god. How could my expectations then have been so low? No worries, everyone: I am unrelentingly judging the Sasha of A Long Time Ago.
Virginia
Apr 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't read anymore. First off, hate Medievals. Second, hate the modern woman gets sent back in time trope. Third, the dialog is unbearable. Glad I only waste half an hour instead of a few hours. Blech.
Feb 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Reading this for book club. Judge away. This book was so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.
Linda
This one took awhile to get into, and it was okay, but not great. Its a twist on the King Arthur legend, in modern times. I'm not saying it was bad, I just never felt the wow factor that I want when reading any book. Although by the end of the book, I was very attached to both of the main characters and I still didn't like Merlin.
Patti Irwin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this older title by a favorite author. I know it is silly to talk about believability in regards to a time traveling legend bending romance, but the characters and emotions just weren’t believable.
Lynne
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable take on the Matter of Britain, as a romance!
Kat
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy reading, time travel romance!
Tatiana Soldatova
Stopped after 100 pages. Not interested in continuing. Too silly.
Arthurianmaiden
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This novel is an arthurian harlequine/harmony novel inspired by "A Connecticut at King Arthur's Court". Here Tessa, a professor at college, ends up in arthurian times to help Galahad in his quest for the Holy Grail, thanks to Merlin's magic.
It was a fun and enjoyable novel, the dialogues were witty and fast, it was generally well written and I have to say that I am really glad I've read it. These romance novels are not usually my genre but this one was very focused on arthurian matters and I was
Trudy Miner
I gave it three stars but it was barely three! College professor Tessa St. James is stuck teaching medieval history in the middle of the semester when she absolutely hates medieval history. No matter, a semester in Greece researching the ancients will take care of that until an enchanted book on Merlin and Arthur sent to her by her mother sends her back to the ONE period she hates the most, Arthur and his legends. Not only that, she doesn't believe in love and so, Tessa refuses to fall in love ...more
PY THONIA
Probably this sums my reaction...

description
It was fudging humorous and lovely that I'm very like this when reading..well, probably a little.
description

It was very unexpected that it would be a time-travel kind of romance but it didn't disappoint me. I knew some of the time-travel books that the guy would end up stuck in his time, the girl leaves then voila!!! I really hate when it's like that. Talk about MERLIN! He appears and makes the whole story so different...very different. It has a plot that kept me to hold
LJ
BELIEVE (Romance/TT) - NR
Alexander, Victoria

From Fiction DB: Tessa St. James thought as little of love as she did of the Arthurian legend--it was just a myth. But when an enchanted tome fell into the lovely teacher's hands, Tessa found that she had to rethink her curriculum. Suddenly in Merlin's Camelot, Tessa learned that the legend was nothing like she remembered. Galahad the Chaste was everything but--the powerful knight was an expert lover--and not only wizards could weave powerful spells.
Judy
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tessa is a teacher who does not like the Middle Ages. And she don't believe in the magical time of Merlin or teach on that time.

She gets a strange visitor in her class and then a package from her mom arrives with an old book about the life and times of Merlin.

As she reads the book the pictures keep changing. She is intrigued by the picture of a Knight praying before an altar. And suddenly she is there with him, and the stranger from her classroom.

The stranger is Merlin and the Knight is Sir
Shiraz
Jun 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trashyromance
Normally I sort of like Victoria Alexander's historical romance novels...they aren't bad anyway. This one I read the first hundred pages or so in horror of how terrible it was and finally tossed it aside, which is saying something given the amount of terrible and horribly written fiction I read. Really though? Time travel Arthurian romance with Galahad and an Assistant Professor? I like time travel and King Arthur but this was not even silly enough to be fun. Shame on the publisher for letting ...more
Kate
Nov 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
White Knights, Myths and Magic

Suddenly in Merlin's Camelot, Tessa learned that the legend was nothing like she remembered. Galahad the Chaste was everything but—the powerful knight was an expert lover—and not only wizards could weave powerful spells. Still, even in Galahad's
Mareena
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes paranormal romance
Recommended to Mareena by: Library Book Sale
When Greek Literature professor, Tessa St. James, receives a book of Arthurian legends from her mother, she doesn't know what to do with it at first. An avowed lover of all things Greek, Tessa has no reason to believe in medieval English myths and magic. All that changes when Merlin - 'Wizard Extraordinaire and Counsellor to Kings'- arrives and sets her a quest: help the fabled Sir Galahad to locate the Holy Grail.

In the process, Tessa and Galahad must learn to trust in the Arthurian legend and
Tina
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Okay, this was HORRIBLE. I normally like this authors books but I couldn't keep reading this one. The dialog got on my nerves. Nobody talks like that!!!! Not even in the 90's! If I read the word "pal" one more time I would've committed murder. The heroine was one of the most annoying characters I've ever encountered in a book. I thought this was going to be a historical romance and had I know it was going to be a time travel thing, I would've skipped it. Not my thing. They should've hinted ...more
Kerensa
When the 21st century heroine, a historian, berated and belittled the Medieval-era hero for not knowing there were continents west of England, I couldn't take it anymore. That, and she kept calling him "Pal" and "Big Guy." I skimmed ahead, but it never improved, so I'm afraid this was a DNF for me. Shame, since the subject/time period are right up my academic alley, so to speak. (P.S. Also, Merlin was a twerp.)
Rae
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, fantasy
It took me a long time to even get into this book. I kept abandoning it for other books so it took me nearly a month to finally finish it. In the end, it was a cute enough story but way too long. It felt like a short story that had been padded to make it novel length. Also, I've noticed a trend in time travel books... they almost never satisfy me as it's rare it'll have an end I enjoy. This book was another example of that.
Yolanda
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2010-all
I really wish that I knew before hand that this was a time travel story. Ugh. I really don't like those. I don't find them to be realistic at all. I know, I know, I read romance novels and those aren't realistic. But for whatever reason, the how time travel stuff just really bothers me.

Other than that the book was decent. I do find that the way Tessa talks is annoying as hell. I'm not sure of anyone who talks the way she does in the present day.
Donna Brown
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was trying to find an excuse not to work and started to look at my book shelf of unread books. Somehow I purchased this book twice. The minute I started reading I remembered I had already read this once before. And, it was good enough to continue reading again. This won't go into the pile I give away!
Deborah Sullivan
Jan 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Technically I didn't read this, because I couldn't get through the first chapter. It's dreadful. The main characters are preposterously poorly drawn and realized and the dialogue is distressingly stilted. It's just awful. I guess Alexander learned a lot over the years, because this early effort doesn't show any promise of good things to come.
Jessica Van Vleet
I am a big fan of Victoria Alexander but this book did not work for me. You had to push through the first 100 or so pages before it got somewhat interesting. I don't think that time travel has any place in historical romance. The writing was good, but the story- not so much.
Amos
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read though I doubt I'll want to read it again

• The Heiress and the Hothead (Sinful Suitors, #1.5)
  • Silent Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.5)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)
  • Constant Risk (A Bree and Tanner Thriller #3)
  • Security Risk (A Bree and Tanner Thriller #2)
  • Tangled Threat
  • Risk Everything (A Bree and Tanner Thriller #4)
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
  • The Husband Hunt (Madison Sisters, #3)
  • Marine Force Recon (Declan's Defenders #1)
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • Show of Force (Declan's Defenders #2)
  • Surrender to the Highlander (Highland Brides, #5)
  • Eagle (Linear Tactical #2)
  • Shamrock (Linear Tactical, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • Angel (Linear Tactical #4)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,