A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
This topic is about The Winds of Winter
No TWOW in 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Remy (new) - added it

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments So, yeah, it's confirmed. Another year without The Winds of Winter:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

FUCK

message 2: by Soycd (new)

Soycd It's my first post here, I've just joined the group.

That is disappointing. I think it's pretty obvious by now that the show is gonna give away the end of the series before the books do.

I've just read all the books last year so I can't complain much about George's delay but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for people who've been waiting for years only to find out about the resolution of the story through a tv show.

message 3: by Carina (new)

Carina | 2 comments Wow - first thought was has it really been so long since the last book? It really doesn't feel like it was 4 years...

That said - am I disappointed we might not be getting Winds of Winter this year? Yes, but I would rather wait and have a great book than get it before it is ready and have something mediocre.

My main point of concern now lies with the TV show and whether that will overtake the books. I know that their plots are divulging wildly but I would prefer to have the books complete first. That said I'd still rather have a great book at the end of the day.

Emily Buck | 22 comments I can't get over how slow he writes though.. I know he said that this book would be a 1500 page manuscript but still taking 4, now at least 5 years to write it means only a little more than a page per day..:/
He is an amazing author and I will accept whatever methods he takes to get the book done. But his fan base has increased immensely since the shows have came out so you think he would speed it up a little since now there's probably twice the amount of people waiting for book 5.
At least give us some updates....

Emily Buck | 22 comments I can't get over how slow he writes though.. I know he said that this book would be a 1500 page manuscript but still taking 4, now at least 5 years to write it means only a little more than a page per day..:/
He is an amazing author and I will accept whatever methods he takes to get the book done. But his fan base has increased immensely since the shows have came out so you think he would speed it up a little since now there's probably twice the amount of people waiting for book 5.
At least give us some updates....

message 6: by Carina (new)

Carina | 2 comments I think I read somewhere that he edits as he goes and if he writes something at one point that changes something earlier on he goes back and amends it.

Honestly though this isn't that long a wait - there is an author whose full name I forget but the surname was something like Auel - she wrote a .... five or six book series about neanderthals/proto humans. There was something like a 15 year gap between the last two books with her...

I do agree it would be nice to get an update but if that takes writing time away.....

message 7: by Pj (new)

Pj | 13 comments Hmmm can't say I'm surprised. He's doing other stuff. What would be a shame is to wait five or so only to have the book suck as bad as the last couple :)

message 8: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments Though he has time to write his blogs

message 9: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments Well I can't say I'm too surprised. Books take long to be written, and good books take longer. As for disappointment, that is another matter entirely. But there is nothing we can do except for waiting. I do hope I don't forget the characters by the time the book actually comes out.

Emily Buck | 22 comments Oops I meant to say book 6 up there... Haha

message 11: by Remy (new) - added it

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments If you compare with other authors and take in account the length of the books, it's not really that much. Also, considering he's working with the show's producers and other books. The World of Ice and Fire came out not long ago. He's not really that much slower than other writers, the problem is that the show has increased his fan base so much the presure must be huge.

And of course, we're all worried about what will happen when the show doesn't have any more material from the books, which is already starting to show. But I don't think the show is gonna get to the end of the story before the books, that wouldn't make any sense. I really don't know what they'll do.

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if the book doesn't come out in 2016 either.

message 12: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments Not everybody is a Brandon Sanderson or a Stephen King.

message 13: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Sanchez | 21 comments Well the producers already know how the series ends just in case GRRM dies, so maybe theres a possibility that they have a storyline in place just in case the show catches up to the books which really sucks ass. If that happens i will refuse to watch the show

message 14: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Sanchez | 21 comments Well the producers already know how the series ends just in case GRRM dies, so maybe theres a possibility that they have a storyline in place just in case the show catches up to the books which really sucks ass. If that happens i will refuse to watch the show

message 15: by Jeremy (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Remy........ Martin started this series in 1997!!!!!! in case you kinda forgot its 2015..... Thats 18 years and still waiting on 2 books. I have waited 6 years in-between books and the show might speed him up but i highly doubt it. He needs to put down the side projects( Rogues....A History of westereos.....) and focus on This series that got him all his notoriety and fame..... At least release TWOW.

Emily Buck | 22 comments Actually my copy of game of thrones says 1996.... He has been writing this series for as long as I've been on earth.

Michael Lavin | 197 comments yea i was sure of the actual publication date. thanks for clarifying

message 19: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments And considering that Storm was published in 2000 and Feast and Dragons was basically a book he had to divide in 2. He has finished only one book in 15 years. A massive book but just one book nevertheless.

message 20: by Remy (new) - added it

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments The way you're saying it, it sound like we've been waiting for this book since 1996. There have been 5 books already in all those years. And not short books. Huge monsters of books.

It took Stephen King more than 20 years to publish the whole The Dark Tower series. And that without counting the eighth book, then it's closer to 30 years.

Has anyone read The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss? He wrote the whole trilogy in 7 years, then he review and edited for another 7 years before the first book was published. Then he edited again the second one before publishing it, and now he's still working again on the third and he already said it won't come out in 2015 either.

So, as far as slow writers go, Martin is not even close to being the worst.

I don't think we as readers can say what GRRM has to do. I'm anxious and sad that the book isn't coming out anytime soon, but I can't complain. Martin doesn't owe me anything, he has already given me (us) a lot.

If he needs to work on other projects to clear his mind, let him do it. The World of Ice and Fire turned out to be amazing anyway. If he needs more time to write, even with the pressure of the show, then he should take the time he needs to write the best he can. I wouldn't settle for less than that, even if I have to wait a little longer. Or a lot.

The only thing that really worries me is that the show isn't gonna wait, and I don't know what will happen when they run out of material.

message 21: by Soycd (new)

Soycd The show is gonna get to the ending before Martin does. It is so obvious to me, I don't know how anyone can think otherwise, really.

message 22: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments I've read The Kingkiller's Chrinicle. Deriving a bit from the topic here, but it's my favourite book ever. The last one is supposed to come out by the end of this year I think. And yeah I've heard he wrote them along time a go but he "went back" to fix and edit.

message 23: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments Oops didn't read the part where you said it won't come out in 2015. Really? :/

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Who cares about the show? It has entered the fanfiction territory anyway. George can take as long as he likes. Better having a great sixth book in 2016 than having a mediocre one next month. Tired of waiting? Reread, read the novellas and other stuff, discuss. Not enough? There are still awesome writers out there. I found Lynch and Abercrombie while waiting for George so yeah, I'm good.

message 25: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments Keisi wrote: "Oops didn't read the part where you said it won't come out in 2015. Really? :/"

Yes, he said on Twitter that it was logistically impossible for "Doors of Stone" to come out this year. He said it at the beginning of the year so we wouldn't be expecting something that won't be coming.

It's true that Stephen King took a long time to publish The Dark Tower series, the thing is that he actually wrote and published like 10 or more books during that time. You can't compare them.

The World of Ice and Fire was co-written by him, most of the writing was done by Linda and Elio.

He writes short stories or novellas here and there(less and less now). But the only full books he has written for decades are the ASOIAF books.

Of course we cannot say to him what he can or he can't do. But to me he does own us something,(he makes a living out of us) it's like buying a movie ticket and the movie finishes 3/4 into it.

"Hey! where's the ending" I said.

"Ummmm" the theater manager aproaches. "We don't have the ending... bye bye."

"But..."
"I said, bye bye. We don't own you anything."

I go out out the theater sad and confused.

"Sir! sir!" the manager said behind me "We hope to see you soon!"

You can tell me that happens with every movies franchise and it's true but they have satisfying arcs and sometimes are even self contained.

For example the Marvel Films or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. ASOIAF books had that but the last 2 books finish have almost every storyline finishing in a cliffhanger like there are chapters missing (there are). A bad movie example would be the last Hunger Games, a big movie that was cut in two so the 1st part doesn't really have an ending or anything.

NO, NO, NO. GRRM is not my bitch but he has a responsibility with me and every other reader that has spent money on his books or merchandize.

I know that he's not like Brandon Sanderson who managed to write his own books and finish The Wheel of Time in like 5 years. Or Steven Erikson who released a Malazan Book almost each year until it was done. I know that but he's taking too long in producing anything, something he didn't have trouble at the beginning.

I heard he's not writing an episode this season so he can focus on Winds. I guess that's something.

Emily Buck | 22 comments GUYS GO LOOK ON IMDB ON MICHELLE FAIRLEY IT SAYS SHES PLAYIN LADY STONEHEART

message 27: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments Michael wrote: "Remy........ Martin started this series in 1997!!!!!! in case you kinda forgot its 2015..... Thats 18 years and still waiting on 2 books. I have waited 6 years in-between books and the show might s..."

I agree. He needs to put down some of the side projects.

Also, I heard that instead of doing the last season of Game of Thrones, he was planning to do end in the series in a movie. Anyone else hear that?

message 28: by Soycd (new)

Soycd I've only heard George talking about the movie in an interview but I think it was nothing serious, just an idea he had.

message 29: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments It sounded like a sure thing so I was just wondering. I wouldn't be against a movie but as additional to the show. After the show ended.

message 30: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Farshaw | 8 comments I think GRRM deliberately waits for the show to end, so he can write his book series with a different ending. The show will end with Dany on the throne while the books will have Stannyboy on the throne and both fan factions will be happy.

message 31: by Jayme (new) - added it

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I would like Dany to be on the Throne. At the same time, I still have hope for the Starks.

message 32: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments Isn't it already known that David&Dan know the ending, so the person the restore up the throne

message 33: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments That came up unfinished, so the person they restore up the throne, will be the same George will end his books with. Right?

message 34: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Farshaw | 8 comments Keisi wrote: "That came up unfinished, so the person they restore up the throne, will be the same George will end his books with. Right?"

That doesn't mean that GRRM cannot all of a sudden pull a prank and change the ending of his books after the show has ended.

message 35: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (biobib) | 52 comments Remy wrote: "So, yeah, it's confirmed. Another year without The Winds of Winter:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

FUCK"

That's not a confirmation. It just says there are "no plans" for it to be released yet. When it's finished, then they'll make "the plans" for release.

message 36: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Rabbani (mohammed_rabbani) | 17 comments sigh. Expected, but somehow still disappointing. I know writing a good book takes time, but goodness me. I'm grateful I only finished reading the series last year, just looking at the amount of years in between books on wikipedia is painful, I can't imagine the actual wait.
Lucky me all 7 books of The Dark Tower series were already published when I'd gotten into them.

I remember reading a letter at the end of one of the dark tower books from an elderly woman asking how the story ended, because she doesn't think she'd live long enough to see it out, King apologised because he said he didn't know himself how it ended yet.

Grim thought, but I wonder how many people will never get to see the ending of ASOIAF.

Emily Buck | 22 comments Correct me if I'm wrong but for dance with dragons wasn't the July release announced in late February/early march? It only gave a couple months notice right.. So if there's no plans for 2015 yet that doesn't mean this fall or winter we won't hear something about it.

Emily Buck | 22 comments Correct me if I'm wrong but for dance with dragons wasn't the July release announced in late February/early march? It only gave a couple months notice right.. So if there's no plans for 2015 yet that doesn't mean this fall or winter we won't hear something about it.

message 39: by Manoushka (new) - added it

Manoushka (lover_of_many_fandoms) | 13 comments I was not surprised at this announcement. It was expected.

Michael Lavin | 197 comments I'm pissed to be honest. But what can I do. I would rant and rave about this but I've done it to many times......

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Like the great Sonny from a Bronx Tale says..."nobody cares."

message 42: by Biobi (new)

Biobi B (biobib) | 52 comments Emily wrote: "Correct me if I'm wrong but for dance with dragons wasn't the July release announced in late February/early march? It only gave a couple months notice right.. So if there's no plans for 2015 yet th..."

No correction needed, this was precisely my point.

Emily Buck | 22 comments So we can still hope.....?

message 44: by Remy (new) - added it

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments It's better not to hope and then (maybe) be pleasantly surprised.

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments There is so much that's been left out of the show from the books, they can always go back, and go into detail about certain characters, and issues... Not to worry... I have faith, George is just fine tuning his chapters... Get a grip folks... Be patient good things come to those who wait...and don't believe everything you read on the internet... We shall see what we shall see in April.

message 46: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Well for those who have not read Dunk and Egg novellas, the collection (3 in 1, illustrated) will be published this October. That should quench your thirst a little.

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Did they release the third graphic novel yet? Been waiting! Par for Martin though

message 48: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments Probably best not to expect a release until they announce one. I'd much rather they tell us upfront and early in the year that it won't be released. Rather than float a potential date at us then have to push it back.

For all of these books, it'll happen when it happens. Read other things until then. I feel lucky that I began reading asoiaf after dance of dragons. So this is my first real "wait". Imagine those who were there from the beginning. I can't complain. It will get finished. Like with Robert Jordan if for some reason GRRM can't complete it some else awesome will. One way or another we'll get our ending.

message 49: by Bryan (new)

Bryan I think it's worth keeping a few things in mind here. The wording of the publisher's comment seems to have been misinterpreted, both here and by several "news" outlets. They didn't confirm that the book won't be released this year; what they said was they have no plans for its release, which is basically their way of saying they don't know when Martin's going to be done. It could still be finished this year (although personally I'd be surprised if it came before late '15/early '16). Historically, the publishers have never really had a clue as to where Martin's at with his writing, and a number of times they've announced release dates without having a finished product and been left holding the ball. Martin himself has been clear (ever since the Feast debacle, anyway) on that fact that we shouldn't trust release dates or rumours gleaned from any source other than his blog, and that he'll announce on his blog the moment he's done writing the next book. In the meantime, lots of other great books out there, people.

message 50: by Rudra (last edited Feb 08, 2015 11:41PM) (new)

Rudra Roy | 3 comments Well for all of us waiting for wow...
I just finished stormlight archives (two books published in series of 10 till now) and raven s trilogy (last part coming on July 2015)..and powder mage series (last part coming 10th Feb ) it was sheer joy and i didn't even once thought about asif while reading it. .
So go ahead and if you haven't read them yet..try it nd 4get about rascal GMR who is taking his fan for granted nd had became arrogant, replying rudely if asked about wow release date as if the fan wo made him so popular are his slaves nd of coarse market driven nd interested in now only money

« previous 1