YA and Beyond discussion

TOP 5 > Top 5 series you want to start in 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

*b*l*u*e*m*o*o*n* | 986 comments Mod
Although I'm already late on the band wagon for this thread, I really do want to know about series that you want to start this year? New or old published series, that you will start for the first time, this year.

*you can include books you started in January*
**the series doesn't need to be complete**
***don't add re-read series***

Here are mine:
1. Mistborn Trilogy By Brandon Sanders
2. Heroes of Olympus series By Rick Riordan
3. Country Saga By David Estes
4. Red Rising Trilogy By Pierce Brown
5. Shatter Me trilogy By Tahereh Mafi

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

(late, its still january,and even feb is in the begining of the year. I think you started this thread riht on time, not too late or early).
Mine:
- the bronze horseman by paulina simons
- the girl in the steel corset by kady cross
- talon by julie kagawa
- prep School confidential by kara Taylor
- miss match by erynn magnum

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Jan 31, 2015 02:55AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Fun thread!

1. Talon series by Julie Kagawa
2. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
3. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
4. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
5. The Archived by Victoria Schwab
6. Ink by Amanda Sun
7. Splintered by AG Howard (read the first book already!)
8. Uninvited by Sophie Jordan (read the first book already!)
9. The Paper Magician by Charlie N Holmberg
10. Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
11. Wake by Amanda Hocking
12. Reboot by Amy Tintera

I'll add more as I think of them, I know there's more!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "Fun thread!

6. Ink by Amanda..."

hehe, jenny it was supposed to be top 5. At least thats what I though, but hey having a top 10 isent a problem anyway :P just enthusiastic.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Lol I missed that part of it !

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "Lol I missed that part of it !"

:D:D As I said, no harm no foul. Just shows you have a plan. :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 6961 comments Mod
Jenny will probably read all 10! She is a reading machine. I don't know how she has a family, reads, and is on GR so much!

I don't think there is any series I want to start (except maybe a cozy one) but I have several I want to catch up on:

1. Unwind - I only have Undivided left but can't get myself to read it. I own the audiobook and everything.

2. David's Country series. I am almost done with book one Fire Country.

3. Veronica Mars - book two is calling my name.

4. Chronos Files - need to read book two Times Edge (again I own the audio and everything).

5. Jasper Dent - I own book two on audio (Game) and need to listen to it!

Ugh! This has made me stressed out. So. Many. Books. I know. I am weird.

message 9: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 123 comments Jenny wrote: "Fun thread!

6. Ink by Amanda..."

That reminded me that I read The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) by Charlie N. Holmberg and should read The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg now that it's out! See when I don't keep up on Goodreads I forget what I read! UGH! I don't know why I am not motivated to read Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1) by Richelle Mead but I read her other new series Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, #1) by Richelle Mead and The Immortal Crown (Age of X, #2) by Richelle Mead and really enjoyed them. I don't know when the next one comes out but I will for sure be reading that.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jaimie wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Fun thread!

6...."

Next what? bloodlines book?the last one comes out february 10th.and she has a standalone ya book coming out in november.

Jenny: 10 series if fine ^_^

I set the limit for those who only really have 5, but if you know you have 10, that's even more cool!

Heidi is right, you are a reading machine! Go Jenny!

message 12: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Hmm.. This is a tough one...

1. The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey
2. Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake
3. Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins
4. Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
5. Bone by Jeff Smith

This was off the top of my head and will likely change, although my library does have Monstrumologist and Bone, so those will almost for sure happen.

Yay! More Monstrumoligist readers. I love Hex Hall too,

message 14: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie oh man, top five? yikes.

in no particular order

The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey Bone Song by John Meaney The Serpent and the Pearl (The Borgias, #1) by Kate Quinn Thieftaker (Thieftaker Chronicles, #1) by D.B. Jackson Cracked (Soul Eater, #1) by Eliza Crewe

message 15: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 123 comments Oda wrote: "Jaimie wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Fun thread!

5. The Archived by Vic..."

Sorry, the next Age of X book. I know it is supposed to be 2015 sometime but doesn't look like it even has a title.

message 16: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Yay! More Monstrumoligist readers. I love Hex Hall too,"

I don't even know what Hex Hall is all about, to be honest haha. I've just been wanting to read a "special school" type of story since Harry Potter and hall of them I've tried have been disappointing. So, the search continues and Hex Hall is next on the list haha.

*Note: I'm not looking for a book/series "like" Harry Potter and it's not comparing them to Harry Potter that's causing my lack of love(at least not consciously).

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Oda wrote: "Jaimie wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Fun thread!

5. The Archived by Vic..."

I think she was talking about her Age of X series :) I still need to read that one too!

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Tommy wrote: "Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "Yay! More Monstrumoligist readers. I love Hex Hall too,"

I don't even know what Hex Hall is all about, to be honest haha. I've just been wanting to read a "spec..."

Hex Hall is a very FUN series, they are just fun, quick, easy reads! Love that series :)

message 19: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Jenny wrote: "Hex Hall is a very FUN series, they are just fun, quick, easy reads! Love that series :)"

That made my want to read stroner.

message 20: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments 1. Game of Thrones
2. Game of Thrones
3. Game of Thrones
4. Game of Thrones
5. Game of Thrones

:)

message 21: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Tommy wrote: "Hmm.. This is a tough one...

5. [..."

YAY for Monstrumologist! My fave series of 2014!

message 22: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments David wrote: "Tommy wrote: "Hmm.. This is a tough one...

4. [bookcover:Skulduggery Pleasan..."

David, your raving, yours personally, put it at the #1 spot for me instead of somewhere else on the top 10. I wanted to read it before I ever saw you mention it, but how much you loved it(while, I believe, not loving some of Yancey's other work) really sold me).

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments David wrote: "1. Game of Thrones
2. Game of Thrones
3. Game of Thrones
4. Game of Thrones
5. Game of Thrones

:)"

HAHAHAHA!!! I forgot that one, that should have been on my huge list!

message 24: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Tommy wrote: "David wrote: "Tommy wrote: "Hmm.. This is a tough one...

4. [bookcover:Skuld..."

Now I feel so much pressure that you won't like it LOL

But I think you will :)

message 25: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Jenny wrote: "David wrote: "1. Game of Thrones
2. Game of Thrones
3. Game of Thrones
4. Game of Thrones
5. Game of Thrones

HAHAHAHA!!! I forgot that one, that should have been on my huge list!"

I'm here to help :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2015 01:12AM) (new)

Tommy wrote: "Hmm.. This is a tough one...

5. [..."

Skulduggery yeay :D:D youre going to loove ity.(you all will,you should all start this series in the year,every single one if you..) Yes, am book pushing it.
Hex hall is great,as others have said its very fun,light, in my opnion its one of the best witch books out there. I laughed so much during Reading I fell on the floor.(I havent read brew yet David,but got it in the mail yesterday.)

I have the first Skulduggery on audiobook to listen to - too many books!!

I read the first Game of Thrones and don't think I will be reading any further. Everyone complains about it even though they are evidently addicted to it! I don't want to be addicted to anything I will get angry at half the time! And I know I am not popular in my opinion but I wasn't enamored by the TV show like everyone else. I thought it was just ok and overly sexualized (Yes. I am a prude!)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "I read the first Game of Thrones and don't think I will be reading any further. Everyone complains about it even though they are evidently addicted to it! I don't want to be addicted to anything ..."

Ditto. I`m not planning on Reading the got books,saw the first episode and it was too violent for me, People say the books are similar so no thanks. Besides they are so long it would take so long to read them, I would miss out on lots of other books I could be Reading instead.

I agree Oda! Yes the first book was violent (HBO added a lot more sexual content then the first book had from what I remember). It was super long and people are always complaining about the series so I can't commit myself any further.

oooo...Tommy, yes for Monstrumologist!

DAVID: I think you forgot to add Game of Thrones on your list! hahahahaha...^_^

message 32: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments LOL! I'll add it right now!

Karen’s Library | 574 comments David wrote: "1. Game of Thrones
2. Game of Thrones
3. Game of Thrones
4. Game of Thrones
5. Game of Thrones

Bwahahaahh!!

message 34: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Does finishing a series count? I've read many first/second book of series and aim to finish (find out how it all ends!)

1. Raging Star - Moira Young Raging Star (Dust Lands, #3) by Moira Young
2. Champion -Marie Lu Champion (Legend, #3) by Marie Lu
3. Gathering Darkness - Morgan rhodes Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms, #3) by Morgan Rhodes
4. Crown of Midnight -Sarah Maas Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas
5. The Klaatu Terminus - Pete Hautman The Klaatu Terminus (The Klaatu Diskos, #3) by Pete Hautman
6. Andrew Fukuda - The Trap (The Hunt, #3) by Andrew Fukuda
7. Sapphire blue by gier
8. Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo

Got all piled up and staring at me. Just got to find the time...I'm a slow reader too unlike you all. I can manage just about a book a week. Got Games of thrones but never started any -that would probably take me a month to finish!

Anna I put books in a series I would like to finish too! My reading has slowed considerably this past year :(

message 36: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Oh wow, I'm late to respond haha. GR decided not to notify me for updates on this thread for some reason.

Hopefully this comment will put it in front of others so they'll keep listing. That way I can find more reads and make my list all the more challenging.

What kinds of reads are you looking for Tommy??

message 38: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "What kinds of reads are you looking for Tommy??"

I'm not really looking for anything in particular, I have a HUGE TBR list haha. Just kind of hoping to creep around and steal your guys' books haha.

If I had to answer though, I'd love to read some YA scifi that isn't dystopian/romance. Even if those things play a part, so long as that's not the main focus of the story.

you can always read...
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams

but then again its not YA.

Boooo...I just realize I don't know a lot of YA sci-fi, thats not dystopian!

message 40: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments Bluemoon wrote: "you can always read...
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams

Boooo...I just realize I don't know a lot of YA sci-fi, thats not dystopian!"

I've read the first HG book, but really should read the rest.
And yeah, every scifi YA book I see is either dytopian or heavy on the romance haha. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd love to see some space faring YA stuff.

The only sci book I loved was Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline so I'm not much help either!

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Unraveling (Unraveling, #1) by Elizabeth Norris These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Taking (The Taking, #1) by Kimberly Derting are all good ones!

message 43: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) I liked the underwater world in Katya's world Katya's World. Spaceships in there too.
and for time travel scifi The Obsidian Blade - a bit complicated this YA series.
For a Hogwarts-type sci-fi Insignia. Thsi one goes out in space battle.
Those above are without or little romance that I know. Most YA sci-fi do have romance or dystopian. Happy reading :)

message 44: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 440 comments See, this is why I love you guys(in a strictly platonic manner, I assure you)!

message 45: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 2471 comments Mod
Some more suggestions for you, Tommy:

The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld More Than This by Patrick Ness All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

These all have a bit of romance in them but it's not the main focus, so hopefully that works? :)

message 46: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 836 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Some more suggestions for you, Tommy:

The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott WesterfeldLeviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott WesterfeldMore Than This by Patrick NessAll Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

These all have a bit..."

I really loved Leviathan too, it's steampunk and really entertaining.

More Than This was okayyy, although I had very high expectations since it was Ness :)

All Our Yesterdays is a really good read for time travel lovers (and it's a stand-alone, although the author did attempt a sequel but later nixed the idea).

And I'm going to read The Midnighters this month! YAY!

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments David wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Some more suggestions for you, Tommy:

The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1) by Scott WesterfeldLeviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott WesterfeldMore Than This by Patrick Ness[bookcover:All Our Yester..."

Agreed on More than This and All Our Yesterdays. Still need to read the other two!

I'm still trying to think of Sci-Fi reads that are not dystopians, and its difficult! I think most that I do read are dystopians! All Our Yesterdays and Unraveling are borderline dystopians. More sci-fi though, definitely!

message 48: by Jana (new)

Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks) (janareviewsfromthestacks) Tommy wrote: "Bluemoon wrote: "you can always read...

Boooo...I just realize I don't know a lot of YA sci-fi, thats not dystopian!..."

I've really enjoyed the Lorien Legacies series, it's a great YA sci-fi series that isn't dystopian!

ooo...another book I can recommend is the Pendragon series. I mean it's not YA, but I really enjoyed the whole series. Well I still need to read two more books of it.

The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) by D.J. MacHale
This is the first book

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Bluemoon wrote: "ooo...another book I can recommend is the Pendragon series. I mean it's not YA, but I really enjoyed the whole series. Well I still need to read two more books of it.

[bookcover:The Merchant of De..."

I agree great series, so you thin Pendragon is more middle grade than Young adult? I would say at first its mg then its more ya.

« previous 1