Audiobooks discussion

Dark Recollections (Adrian's Undead Diary #1)
This topic is about Dark Recollections
Archives > Adrian's Undead Diary

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Hey all,

I've been a lurking member for a bit now, and am finally getting around to sharing my primary series here with the group.

I'm the author of Adrian's Undead Diary, an eight book post apocalyptic tale. It was voted the Bookie Monster's best series of 2014, and books one and two have both been Amazon Best Sellers.

It is raw, ugly, unvarnished, and focuses heavily on anxiety, PTSD, stress, and redemption. Reviews have been stellar, when folks can get by the fact that Adrian curses, as veterans often do...

In audio, it has done tremendously via Audible, and books one and four have been in the top 100 downloads of all of Audible several times. Book five, Wrath is slated to release in audio in February, and I wanted to stop in and let folks know.

Here are the Goodreads pages for the series, and if you'd like to give them a listen, James Foster and I (the narrator) would appreciate it.

Dark Recollections
Alone No More
Midnight
The Failed Coward

And in a few weeks...
Wrath

All the best, and thank you so much for time.

Chris Philbrook

AudioBookReviewer | 70 comments I listened to Dark Recollections and loved it!
Can't wait to get to the rest of them :)

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments AudioBookReviewer wrote: "I listened to Dark Recollections and loved it!
Can't wait to get to the rest of them :)"

I'm glad. Thank you.

Deedra | 172 comments If you have a free ausdible code for the first 1 I would like to read and review it. deediddle@yahoo.com

AudioBookReviewer | 70 comments well I wasn't going to be the first one to say that ;)
I have book 2, and would welcome book 3, 4 & 5

message 6: by Joan (new) - added it

Joan Roman Pavlick | 123 comments I have them all on my read list now. I would also review any of them but nice to start with number one!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Nice! I have the first one and am interested in the rest!

So 8 parts, then done and dusted?

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Hey all,

Thanks for the interest in the series! Dark Recollections just won Zombie Book of the Month Club over on Facebook for February, so that's kind of fun.

I have a very limited amount of codes left, and I'll try to get them to interested folks here shortly.

Michael: The eight books in this series are complete, yes, but the world of Adrian Ring is massive in scope, and there are a million stories that could be told. I have a trilogy planned for this year that takes place in Adrian's world after the events of book eight, so there is more...

Sort of.

:)

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Ah good (on the completion status). I love series, but I do feel that some of them sort of end up keep going too long. I like to have an end in sight, some sort of closure... :) Spin offs all good though!

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Yeah I hear you, and couldn't agree more.

Book Eight has The End, and it's an ending.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Great!

Would you know why whispersync isn't available on others in the series?

AudioBookReviewer | 70 comments can't wait!

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments It isn't? I can check the listings and see why Michael.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Chris wrote: "It isn't? I can check the listings and see why Michael."

That'd be great if you could. I alwys wondered how it worked. Do you get an error report showing on the titles?

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments I actually found zilch on anything, so I sent a tech request into Audible and KDP to see which of them is slipping up.

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Some of you wanted to know when Wrath hit audio.

It dropped today.

www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Wrath-Audi...

Enjoy.

AudioBookReviewer | 70 comments totally awesome

message 18: by Joan (new) - added it

Joan Roman Pavlick | 123 comments great on my wish list

message 19: by Michael (last edited Feb 12, 2015 09:03PM) (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Excellent!

Any news from KDP on what is up with the Whispersync?

Since I mentioned it, I think Whispersync has actually disappeared from the first book (at least it doesn't show when I look at audible anymore)!!!!

Deedra | 172 comments Thanks,I added the rest!

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Michael wrote: "Excellent!

Any news from KDP on what is up with the Whispersync?

Since I mentioned it, I think Whispersync has actually disappeared from the first book (at least it doesn't show when I look at a..."

So this took forever to resolve.

Apparently whipersync is something that Amazon and Audible sort of.. add to your title if the narration and the expected average reading speed happen to match. My narrator James said that attempting to match their expectations is a real struggle so he hasn't tried to do it beyond the first book.

Further, the whispersync essentially costs us royalties because we aren't getting paid based on the regular value, just the lower sync price, so there's even less incentive for him to do the extra weeks of work editing the file's flow.

I also object on some level changing his narration style and speed from where its at to some expectation that'll change the listener's experience.

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Also, book six is out on audio, and seven is on the way mid to late May.

Expect big things with seven. ;)

In the Arms of Family

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Wow that is bizarre on the whispersync

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Michael wrote: "Wow that is bizarre on the whispersync"

That's what I thought. He's working with ACX on finding a better or easier way to do it. The idea being we'd sell far, far more audible copies if it were an option.

Dunno.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 463 comments Yes you would sell more. I'd not think of it "costing royalties" as increasing sales. It is like thinking that if you sell a $10 CD with an included $8 digital copy (like amazon often do) you are losing $8, you are losing nothing, and possibly are gaining a sale over some other source. Actually, before whispersync, I was just on the platinum membership getting about 30 books a year. Now with whispersync I get a couple of hundred. I tend to try more, and just use credits for the big name expensive authors I get.

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Exactly Michael.

Chris Philbrook | 28 comments Looks like we're pretty much 100% Whispersync now.

Also, At Least He's Not on Fire dropped in audio today. Should be a fun one.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fant...

message 28: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 96 comments Hi Chris,

I am a little late to the party. I would love a copy of the first book in the series if you still have audible copies left - for an honest review. My name is Adrian so this makes the book more intriguing to me!

Thanks,
Adrian

Deedra | 172 comments I loved the first one,still have to get to the second one.It's in my library.