2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Off Topic > My biggest Challenge with the Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I've been noticing recently that I am struggling to keep myself paced with the challenge. I find myself wanting to race to finish a book, not out of competition, but because I am so eager to start the next book. I love this feeling of excitement of reading; it's been a long time since I've felt this enthusiastic about reading this much, but I continually have to tell myself to slow down and enjoy the book I am currently reading, and with time I will have a chance to enjoy them all. haha.

Is anyone else experiencing this or something else that is making the challenge a challenge?

message 2: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments My problem with the challenge and Good Reads in general is I keep adding books to my T Be Our list :-)

message 3: by Laura, Mod (new)

Laura | 599 comments Mod
I have an obsession with to do lists and love checking things off. So my issue is the excitement of finishing a book and crossing it off. I have to tell myself the same thing!

message 4: by Ana A (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I'm struggling when I choose a book that I end up not liking. I'd usually stop if I don't like it, but I force myself to finish it for the challenge.

If it's a book that I do like, I find that the deadline helps.

And thankfully, so far, I've gotten more books that I like than dislike.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (clickcait) | 480 comments Manda, I've noticed that at times I'm rushing through books but that's partly because I've got a list of non-challenge reads I want to get through as well.

My determination to start each week on a Thursday has meant that for roughly three Wednesdays in a row I've been up til nearly midnight trying to finish a book before the start of the next week.

My other challenge is not spending all my time online reading these boards, reviews and book blogs instead of actually reading. If I spent more time with a book in my hand maybe I wouldnt have so many late Wednesday nights!

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 57 comments Cait, that's the problem with this challenge being hosted by a site called "Goodreads". rofl. Every time I come here I find more books that look interesting. It's never-ending. :p

:)

message 7: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 272 comments My biggest challenge is definitely that I get so inspired by what everybody else is reading, so I keep finding new books to read but I haven't succeeded in finding extra time!

message 8: by Berit (new)

Berit | 138 comments I have the very same problem :-)

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 391 comments I have the same issue. I know I read slower anyway but I get distracted by other things a lot too like movies, TV shows, Tumblr etc. and I find myself getting behind on the weeks and the deadlines which I find a bit frustrating at times but I've become ok with being a bit behind as I know that at least I'm reading a lot more than I have been the last few years. That was basically my main focus for the challenge was just to get myself back into reading. I use to read all the time but over the last few years I read less and less so I wanted to get myself back into it. I also keep finding other books that I really want to read and sometimes I think I'd rather read those than some of my challenge books but they don't fit in the challenge or any of the categories.

message 10: by Tina (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:08AM) (new)

Tina (tjlich) Francesca, I'm with you. I'm a slower reader. Surprisingly, I have been able to read a little faster for this challenge. I think the dynamics of the challenge itself helps. Meaning that since I know I'm supposed to be finished by a certain day (or close to it) I try harder to get the current book read on time. Perhaps I'm not reading any faster, but rather, making time to read more often. I'm not concerned much with keeping up exactly with the given weeks, although I am giving it a good hard effort. I am pleased and proud of myself for accepting this challenge and I'm getting so much more out of it than just the content of the books I read. I love these discussions. I am finding I search threads in this group of books that others are reading, that I have not read in years, just so I can read what others have to say about them and get in on the discussion. So I have been actively involved in several discussion each week regardless of what book I'm actually engrossed in at the time.

Is anyone else doing that too... searching within the group thread for books you've read in the past to get involved in the discussion?

You know, maybe I will just start a thread asking that above question!