The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) The Thief question

Recommendation on What Fantasy to Read Next?

Ah, if you want to try more YA fantasy, did you think about reading some of Diana Wynne Jones's books yet? :) They're also nice for grown-up readers (like me, haha) because the characters feel quite human while the setting are very magical. I especially liked Howl's Moving Castle (skip the movie adaption if you can, though). Can't say anything on the other two books in the trilogy though, since I didn't read them.

Btw, 'The Thief': It's a YA book and unfortunately suffers from the author shortening some of the things that are going on but the book is nonetheless very entertaining.

Also simple YA but interesting: The Cloud Roads
An alien world without humans. :) The main character is a shapeshifter (no grand shifting like a person into a dragon or something but a person-esque race that shifts into a person-esque scaly race with and without wings.)

Not YA:
My personal favourite:
Luck in the Shadows
Despite the age of this book it has many modern themes (women in the army? No problem! A queen leading her army? No problem! Bisexuality being accepted in society? No problem!)
Main plot is spies and adventury things and you get some super interesting characters on top of it. I don't know about you, but I used to play text based role playing games and some of the things that happen in the books of this series sort of remind me of how my friends and I brooded over the plot of our rp and on how to best psychologically hurt our characters.
So yeah, big fun for RP-ing people. :D
Also has quite some magic.

The Lies of Locke Lamora
Only read the first book so far. Wooow. This is veeery adult fantasy because it has some dark themes, among them attempted murder of the main character and whatnot. The only thing I thought was a bit annoying was how it jumps between the main characters's past flashback chapters and the 'present' story. But to be honest this book wouldn't work any other way because otherwise you wouldn't be surprised about what the main characters do. In a way, this is better than the Kingkiller Chronicle (which is btw a fast read but you probably have to keep in mind that you can't trust the first persion narrator because he makes himself an overpowered character despite everything that happens to him).

This one was also nice to read:
Transformation
(cover looks really awful though)
Demon hunting in a magic demon world, aww yiss. Starts out with the main character as a slave though. I admit I have some complications explaining this series. Let's just say it does a thing where it establishes something about the magic and demons as canon, only to destroy this canon thing later.

I've yet to read a Drizzt book, but the general impression I've gotten from people who have is that it's kind of popcorn movie fantasy. Entertaining, but not well-crafted or particularly thought-provoking.

The Queen's Thief series is fantastic, and I would recommend it to everyone. Just keep in mind that the first book is by far the most "juvenile." It's a very simple plot from a first person perspective. Book 2 shifts to more complex, mature themes and a third-person perspective. Book 3 is by far my favorite and very focused on politics and character, with not a lot of action.

I love the Kingkiller Chronicles, but they're incredibly long books that do go on a bit, so keep that in mind. Also the protagonist is one of those characters who is just good at everything. His only "flaw" is that he's prideful and self-obsessed, but it only rarely bites him in the ass. That seems to turn a lot of people off.

I'd also like to add The Seven Realm Series by Cinda Williams Chima. Starting with The Demon King. I read The Theif book first and happened to stumble upon the Seven Realm series shortly after and fell in love with that too.

Diane (last edited Jan 31, 2015 07:35AM ) Jan 31, 2015 07:31AM   -1 votes
I have only read The Theif series of the ones you have mentioned ( I loved it) but you might also look into these - they are all fantastic high fantasy series that I would highly recommend
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta
Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan It is long but I think probably one of the strongest high fantasy like Dragonlance but more involved and adult

Diane They are big books and a long series but you can't beat it as far as world building, magic systems, epic battles, characterization and plot twists. De ...more
Jan 31, 2015 01:23PM · flag