Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Gemini Cell (Reawakening Trilogy #1)
This topic is about Gemini Cell
Book Issues > series ordering?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Z-squared (last edited Jan 29, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments While this post is specifically about Gemini Cell, this is not the first instance of chronological versus publication order series numbering I've come across. I just want to know what the policy is. This book came out this week and is listed on Amazon as #4. On the Goodreads Shadow Ops series page, we've got it listed as 0.5 and not marked primary, despite the fact that it's 384 pages long. This is so not a short story. The author's webpage doesn't explicitly number any of the books in the series, but it does list this one fourth.

So what's a librarian to do? Renumber to publication order? Keep it in chronological, but number this book "0" and mark as primary (if so, what happens when he publishes book 5)? Start a separate series page for chronological order?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Does the author have a page for the series with any additional info?

(And prequels marked 0 should not be set as primary, FYI. It will prevent the series from showing up on the author's profile, among other issues.)

message 3: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I linked to the author's series page above. The page is slightly confusing because it shows all the various covers for each edition, but the whole page is just the four books of the Shadow Ops series. The page shows the books in order, 1-4, but they're not explicitly numbered anything. So the numbering is implied, I guess you could say.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 838 comments try contacting the author and ask?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Sorry, missed the link to the author's site.

Dee wrote: "try contacting the author and ask?"

Since she is a Goodreads member, seems like a good thought.

message 6: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I have done so. But hypothetically, if this were to occur on another book and the author was inaccessible (or if this author is too busy to get back to me), what is the best course of action?

message 7: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments If they are not numbered, couldn't we just make it an unnumbered series?