Start by marking “Gemini Cell (Reawakening Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Gemini Cell (Reawakening Trilogy #1)

Gemini Cell

(Reawakening Trilogy #1)

Gemini Cell takes place in the SHADOW OPS universe, but is a prequel, taking place many years before the events in CONTROL POINT.

Mass Market Paperback, 402 pages
Published January 27th 2015 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Gemini Cell, please sign up.

Mark Lawrence
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Myke Cole's a nice guy but with one huge character flaw ... the thing I really hate about him is the way each book he writes is better than the last by a fair margin. That kind of thing gets really irritating by book #4.

Anyway. This book is set before his Shadow Ops trilogy at a time when magic is just starting to creep into the world and very few people know about it.

As in the previous books our protagonist is a military man. In this case the most hardcore to date, being a special ops guy. The
Bradley
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here's a neat trick and no bones or grafted body parts about it: Cole's writing is improving by leaps and bounds with each book.

The novel starts with a lot of great gory action perfect for all you special-forces fans with a hankering for a huge kill-count. I'll be honest, however. It took a while before the strange finally kicked in and before we got the magic, the jinn, the undead, and all sorts of nasty feral flesh crafting, but it was quite worth it.

Don't assume this is a normal UF, though, i
Peter
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So it's pretty well known in the SF community that Myke Cole and I have been friends for a long time. We met in high school back in 1990, which is... shit. 25 years ago now.

Wow. I feel old.

Myke and I have a long and sordid history including Dungeons & Dragons, head-shaving and podcasts.

We also have a long history of creative support. I say with all honesty that I would likely not be a professional author without the countless hours of soundboarding, encouragement and advice he has given me.
Becky
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Its 4 a.m. and I cant sleep because this is rolling over and over in my head, so I am updating my review. Its because this book is different and important and there are very specific reasons why:

I had a friend named Mike. We hung out in college because we had all the same history classes and together we sponsored study groups and essay rewrites for students that were struggling. We both came from military backgrounds, I was enlisted in the reserves at the time and he was in ROTC. When he graduat
Justin
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is Myke Cole's best book to date, and it's really not close. He's improving by leaps and bounds with each novel. For those of you who haven't tried him yet, this is a great place to start.

It's set ostensibly in the same world as his previous novels, but you wouldn't really know it. It feels like a whole new series, with a whole new set of characters. There's a fantastic romance to the novel, and a boat load of pulse pounding action.

Honestly, if you've been thinking about reading Myke Cole
Carly
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Reawakening--the rebirth of magic in the modern world--has begun, but the world is still pushing the snooze button.

Jim Schweitzer has his feet planted in the nonmagical world. He has a nice home, a four-year-old son, and a wife whose art career is beginning to blossom. He also kills people. Professionally. But when an assignment goes terribly wrong, Schweitzer’s life takes a turn for the weird. Suddenly, he finds himself in a world where death is no longer the end and where magic is a contag
Michael Fletcher
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Someone told me this book was military SF and that's not really my thing (I don't hate it, it's just not what I reach for first) but then I discovered I was going to be on a panel at NYCC with Myke Cole and thought I'd better read one of his books so I had at least some idea what he was about.

First, this ain't military SF. It's...I dunno...military science fantasy. There's a science fiction element to be sure, but the story is more deeply routed in the fantastic. And GAWDAMN it's good.

Tanks and
Milo (BOK)
The Review: http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.c....

Myke Cole continues to blow the military fantasy genre wide open with an all-new epic adventure in his highly acclaimed Shadow Ops universe—set in the early days of the Great Reawakening, when magic first returns to the world and order begins to unravel…

Jim
What was I thinking? For some reason I thought I'd like this & yet it was exactly the kind of macho garbage I detest & I know I detest it. At least they didn't give a paragraph description of every weapon, but otherwise it was pretty typical of the subgenre.
Rob
Executive Summary: This one wasn't quite as good as I was hoping, but good enough that I'll continue on with the series later this year before the third book is released.

Audiobook: Korey Jackson does another great job with the audio. This series is the only thing I've heard him narrate, but he's got a great voice for military fiction.

Full Review
I'm in the middle of like 20+ series. I enjoyed the original trilogy of this series, but I wasn't exactly itching to jump into the prequel series. I de
Timothy Ward
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, horror, fantasy, 2016
Myke Cole is famous for writing military fantasy, focusing on magically enhanced soldiers in modern day. I love just about everything about what he did with this book. The main focus is on a Navy Seal and his inner battle between doing the job he is best at and being the husband and father who can enjoy his family and not put them at risk. As far as that emotional battle goes, Myke completely nailed it. It was hard to keep reading at times because it was so painful to endure the main character's ...more
Mia
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a review of an advanced copy which may differ from the final version of the book.

I give this book five stars for the extent I relate to it and how it personally affects me, four stars on a purely objective evaluation.

This is a prequel to Myke Cole's SHADOW OPS series. It takes place years before the events of the first book of the aforementioned series. This is a perfectly fine –perhaps even ideal-- introduction to Mr. Cole's works. The understanding and appreciation of this series is no
William
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rejected
Zombie macho testosterone soldiers. Not what I expected. The action sequences are pretty good, but it's just unrelentingly macho.
Alex Ristea
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
You really can't get much better if you're looking for military fiction.

Myke Cole's background shine through, but not in a braggadocio manner. It's not "hey look at me and all I know!" so much as an acknowledgement that informs the writing. I like that it wasn't just on the technical side of weapons and tactics (though that was awesome), but Myke dives into the psychology of warfare. Without going too deep into spoilers, there are some interesting parallels between modern and ancient warfare.

Y
Kelly
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The movie Lone Survivor was my introduction to what a U.S. Navy SEAL is. Before then, I had a vague idea they were something like Marines in wetsuits. I realise I’m denting my own credibility here, but not all of us know everything there is to know about every branch of the military and there is so much misinformation out there in fiction and movies. The film begins with a look at the training a SEAL must go through in order to get their pin. It’s…insane. It really is. The rest of the film clear ...more
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
US Navy SEAL Jim Schweitzer is a consummate professional, a fierce warrior, and a hard man to kill. But when he sees something he was never meant to see on a covert mission gone bad, he finds himself—and his family—in the crosshairs. Nothing means more to Jim than protecting his loved ones, but when the enemy brings the battle to his front door, he is overwhelmed and taken down.

That should be the end of the story. But Jim is raised from the dead by a sorcerer and recruited by a top secret unit d
Jacob
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An action filled intense explosion of a story! Magic, SciFi, Special Forces, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Thriller, this book is skittle of everything with a lot to like.
Stefan
“For the dead, war never ends.” That’s the somewhat ominous tagline on the cover of Myke Cole’s newest military fantasy novel Gemini Cell. Set in the early years of the Great Awakening, the novel shows how humanity first reacted to the sudden appearance of magical powers in random people—a process that would eventually lead to the militarization of magic as portrayed in Cole’s first three Shadow Ops novels: Control Point, Fortress Frontier, and Breach Zone.

Gemini Cell is in a sense a prequel to
Joel
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, hard-copy
I agree with the other authors who said that Myke Cole improves as a writer with each book. The prose and stylings of this novel are superior to his past books for sure, and he's clearly grown as far as writing about personal relationships and character growth.

That said, this was not my favorite of Myke's books - I enjoyed it, but I'd put it behind his trilogy as far as overall content. It felt a bit more anemic of a story than the trilogy, lacked the cool world pieces and history. The action se
Hilary
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-sff
If I'd picked this prequel up first, instead of Control Point I'm not sure I would have even finished it let alone read the others. It's darker, and messier (in the deaths), both making it not quite as much to my taste, but the writing itself is descriptive and - unlike many SF/F books - makes it easy to follow the author's imagination. I also suspect that part of the plot-messiness here is down to the sheer chaos of accidentally stumbling across such things in magic. I'll still read the sequel ...more
new_user
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Military fantasy fans and action romance fans would enjoy this equally. While not plotted like a romance, the protagonist's journey largely revolves around his family, his conception of himself and his purpose. Author Myke Cole checks a lot of the boxes: elegant prose, visual, exciting action, character introspection, and admirable heroes. I also appreciate the side helpings of ethics, philosophy, etc. Also, very cool that the hero is the walking dead. Not a glamorous vamp, something much more g ...more
Rana
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know. I think I liked this? But um, guys. This was a romance buried beneath urban military fantasy something. And not buried all that deep. Want more military robot dead guys, need a lot less of the love will find us across the depths of hell/space.
Jon Adams
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riveting. I'm not sure how to classify this except Military/SF/Fantasy Fiction. It's unlike anything I've read and I loved it.
Mark Lindberg
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Myke Cole presents his online persona as a completely serious, anti-fun person. He also presents himself as a very morally straight man. He’s a member of the Coast Guard (I think), and is always seen haranguing people about the importance of trigger discipline. This may have affected my expectations for his books, giving me the perception that Gemini Cell would be a straightforward military by the numbers novel, even though I had already read the first of his Shadow Ops books, Control Point, and ...more
Gregoire
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Good enough for me to read in one night The reviews of some of my GR friends marks it as one of the best of the Shadow Ops series
i must confess that I have not read the first three but i nonetheless agree with them : it was
a rather nice mixture of horror, military and fantasy Not sure it hooks me enough to read all the book in this series but i will keep the author's name in my list of "to follow up when I've got the time "

Une histoire qui réunit les qualités et les défauts d' un bon film d'ac
Sachin Dev
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-great-reads
Originally posted here on my blog : http://bit.ly/15qgGrb

After a highly successful outing with his blistering take on Military Urban Fantasy in the Shadow Op trilogy series, Myke Cole returns back to his gorgeously realized world that has seen the “Great Awakening” – with this new novel, Gemini Cell. And this time, he is in unstoppable scintillating form.
Gemini Cell is a sort of prequel set in the same world – years before the events that are detailed in his first series. So the magic is still
Beth
I know this is a prequel but I haven’t read the other books in this series so for me it’s a start fresh and new out of the gate storyline.

Myke Cole creates a dark and gritty magically enhanced world. It has the feeling of a military suspense thriller but we are introduced to the Jinn, which enable the power that be to reanimate corpses and share their souls/beings with the deceased giving both re-life.

In this story Jim Schweitzer is taken from his family, wife and son and created into the Gemini
Mark
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed Mykes books because they are different than anything I have come across before and he writes extremely well. I feel I am taking away a lasting experience. He imparts a lot of his professional know how through his books and it adds layers of enjoyment for me as a reader.

While I absolutely loved the magic and systematic governmentalization of what you are allowed or not allowed to do once you've manifested in the previous novels, Gemini Cell is more human. Don't get me wrong.
Dyrk Ashton
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book took me back to my youth, reminding me of the thrill I got reading Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series and even Ian Fleming's Bond novels, but especially The Destroyer (Created, the Destroyer) series with Remo Williams by Murphy and Sapir and Jack Higgins's thrillers like The Eagle Has Landed. Gemini Cell is a new take on the resurrected-agent theme, combining the kind of action-thriller, fantasy and sci-fi that I love. I think I'd have to call it The Destroyer meets Hellboy. In the bes ...more
Jovan Vujnović
Needs more characterisation. I love the premise of the book, but the characters are underdeveloped and the plot is moving at the breakneck speed without much explanation of the background or the motives of the Gemini cell.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: series ordering? 7 32 Jan 29, 2015 11:31AM

• A Crown of Dragons (Unicorne Files, #3)
  • Funeral Games (Far Star Trilogy #3)
  • The Path of Duty (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 2)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • Accession of the Stone Born: Nine Realms Saga (Vigiles Urbani Chronicles Book 1)
  • Rustkiller (The Coilhunter Chronicles, #2)
  • Child of the Flames (The Seven Signs, #1)
  • The God Thief (The Master Thief #3)
  • Hounacier (Valducan, #2)
  • The Coravian Conflict (Stavin DragonBlessed, #5)
  • Undead Chaos (The Shifter Chronicles, #1)
  • Scattered, Smothered and Chunked (Bubba the Monster Hunter #1)
  • The Robots of Gotham
  • Braineater Jones
  • Grunt Life (Task Force Ombra #1)
  • The Dawn of a Desperate War (The Godlander's War #3)
  • 'til Death (Rockwell Return Files #1)
  • The Berserker and the Pedant (The Berserker and the Pedant, #1)
As a security contractor, government civilian and military officer, Myke Cole’s career has run the gamut from Counterterrorism to Cyber Warfare to Federal Law Enforcement. He’s done three tours in Iraq and was recalled to serve during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He recently joined the cast of Hunted on CBS as part of an elite team of fugitive hunters.

All that conflict can wear a guy out. Than

Reawakening Trilogy (3 books)
  • Javelin Rain (Reawakening Trilogy #2)
  • Siege Line (Reawakening Trilogy #3)
“When you cannot have a thing, sometimes you hunger for it anyway. The closeness of it, the taste of it, the feel of its heat. It is a pale reflection of the truth, but a reflection is better than darkness.” 6 likes
“This was the thing about religious types she hated so much. They never missed a chance to proselytize. No tragedy was sacred, no setback off-limits. They would solemnly enter your private space, regal and pompous as crows, full is righteous self-importance. Then, when she was at her weakest, they would tell her why the unacceptable was acceptable, why it was okay that she'd lost the love of her life
because an invisible man in the sly (and it was always a man, wasn't it?) had willed it.”
3 likes