Harlequin Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 2125 comments Mod
Suspense = Heart-stopping stories with intrigue and mystery--where true love always triumphs.

With how popular all the crime and lawyer tv programs are, I understand why fans of suspense fall in love with these books. There is drama, intensity, danger. Everything that keeps you glued to the pages until the end. My sister loves them and is constantly raving to me about one author or another, one series or another. It will be interesting to see if your picks match hers. :) ~ Kim

I'm curious. When it comes to suspense, I'm a huge fan of series. I love connected stories. Are you the same or does the single, stand-alone story grab you more? ~Kim

message 3: by Debbie (last edited Feb 05, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "I'm curious. When it comes to suspense, I'm a huge fan of series. I love connected stories. Are you the same or does the single, stand-alone story grab you more? ~Kim"

I like either, but a series is my favorite and right now JT Ellison writes my favorite suspense for MIRA with her Dr. Samantha Evans thrillers

I also read a thriller/chiller novel by one of MIRA's debut author's Averil Dean -Alice Close Your Eyes, her novel in fact topped my best of this year

Other favorite HQN thriller authors are Heather Gudenkauf and Antoinette Van Heugten

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments Romantic suspense was the first subgenre that really converted me to romance reading. Recently I've hardly been reading any of it, but I've promised myself to get back to it!
I do still love it.

Harlequin Books wrote: "I'm curious. When it comes to suspense, I'm a huge fan of series. I love connected stories. Are you the same or does the single, stand-alone story grab you more? ~Kim"

I like a series that has a defined start and finish. There's one particular (non-Harlequin) series that started out so strongly, with five star reviews all around. But then the author just kept introducing more and more and more characters, and people stopped reading it.

As long as each book feels like a complete book on its own - I want to be able to pick them up out of order and "get" them - then I do love a series.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 60 comments Oh, also, when I think of some of Linda Howard's brilliant standalone books, I think there's a good argument for single reads. :)

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Hildreth (scotthildreth) | 4 comments Personally, I believe we become more attached to characters we've grown to love. The 'suspense' becomes more suspenseful, and we become more protective of the characters if we're attached to them. We certainly become more attached to characters we know...

A series provides a level or degree of intimacy I feel we cant conquer in a stand alone. Not totally.

Therefore, I think a series, if presented properly, is an author's best bet.

Linda Howard is an author my sister, April, mentions often and I recently introduced her to Heather Gudenkauf who she says is now a favorite for hers.

Actually, the more I think about it, I belive I was the one who introduced April to Linda Howard too. I'm a good siter. :)

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Linda Howard is an author my sister, April, mentions often and I recently introduced her to Heather Gudenkauf who she says is now a favorite for hers.

Actually, the more I think about it, I belive..."

You're a Very Good Sister :)

message 9: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiaeden) | 1 comments Linda Howard has been one of my favorite authors for years! I think I still have my original copy of Diamond Bay. ;)

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Linda Howard is an author my sister, April, mentions often and I recently introduced her to Heather Gudenkauf who she says is now a favorite for hers.

Actually, the more I think about it, I belive..."

Linda Howard is my favorite romantic suspense author. I'm a huge fan. I wish she'd write a new book! I'm so impatient.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Romantic suspense was the first subgenre that really converted me to romance reading. Recently I've hardly been reading any of it, but I've promised myself to get back to it!
I do still love it.

H..."

I agree. I'm not a fan of jumping into a series and either not knowing half the characters or having to catch up with backstory dumps. It can be done well, but it's a tricky thing to get past the three book mark in a series.

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments Sonya Heaney wrote: "Oh, also, when I think of some of Linda Howard's brilliant standalone books, I think there's a good argument for single reads. :)"

I love her Prey. In fact, everything she's written since 2000 is a re-read for me. I take her books with me when I travel by plane, because I'm afraid of flying, but I don't think about it when I'm reading a Howard. lol

message 13: by Harlequin Books (new)

Kris wrote: "I take her books with me when I travel by plane, because I'm afraid of flying, but I don't think about it when I'm reading a Howard. lol ..."

Suspense books are great for sucking you in and making you forget the world around you. This is a good thing when flying, not so good when your husband is trying to talk to you but you just can't take your eyes off the page.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Kris wrote: "I take her books with me when I travel by plane, because I'm afraid of flying, but I don't think about it when I'm reading a Howard. lol ..."

Suspense books are great for sucking you..."

LOL! I know better than to read when everyone is awake. I wait until I have the house to myself (usually around 11pm) and read until I can't stay awake.) Now, TV shows, if he's not interested, he talks and talks. Everything he didn't care to say during the day pops out of his mouth like a stream of consciousness when my favorite shows are on. I always pause it, look at him, and give him my full attention. That surprises him enough to notice, on the tenth pause in 30 sec. of my show, that he's interrupting me ad nauseum. He usually wanders off then. lol

message 15: by Harlequin Books (new)

Kris wrote: " Now, TV shows, if he's not interested, he talks and talks. Everything he didn't care to say during the day pops out of his mouth like a stream of consciousness when my favorite shows are on. I always pause it, look at him, and give him my full attention. That surprises him enough to notice, on the tenth pause in 30 sec. of my show, that he's interrupting me ad nauseum. He usually wanders off then. lol "

Sounds like my household! It never fails, things are quiet until I pick one of my DVRd programs then all of a sudden he must talk to me about whatever he thinks is important.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 61 comments Oh I just got a HQN May release from one of my very favorite and an always go to Suspense author J T Ellison

What Lies Behind by J.T. Ellison

message 17: by Harlequin Books (new)

Did you enjoy it Deb?

What is it about suspense that makes me have to read the book all in one sitting? I have to make sure a have a good stretch of reading time because I just HATE putting one down until I know what happens.

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris Rafferty (krisrafferty) | 49 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Did you enjoy it Deb?

What is it about suspense that makes me have to read the book all in one sitting? I have to make sure a have a good stretch of reading time because I just HATE putting one do..."

I believe every romance is a suspense, some just more than others. As readers, we know a HEA is coming, but the writer has to convince us it's not a done deal, over and over again. Add a layer of suspense plot and boom. A good writer SHOULD make it impossible to put down. It's the holy grail, what we strive for as writers and seek as readers.

message 19: by Harlequin Books (new)

New free onl;ine read!
Daily Read:

On the Run with the Lawman
by Delores Fossen

Copyright © 2015 by Harlequin Books S.A.
Serving an arrest warrant to the woman who shared his bed three months ago isn't the reunion Sweetwater Springs Deputy Pete Nichols fantasized about. But when two armed thugs show up, he realizes that Cassie Jacobson isn't his quarry—but a killer's target.

With her witness protection cover blown, the only way for Cassie to clear her name and save her sister is to team up with the sexy cowboy cop. Giving into passion before was a mistake she can't afford to repeat, especially when Pete learns who she really is. But as they work together to bring a dangerous criminal to justice, can she resist the Texas lawman sworn to protect her at any cost?

message 20: by Angi (new)

Angi Morgan | 65 comments Scott wrote: "Personally, I believe we become more attached to characters we've grown to love. The 'suspense' becomes more suspenseful, and we become more protective of the characters if we're attached to them. ..."

WELL SAID !!
and very true

message 21: by Harlequin Books (new)

Hot Deal Alert
Harlequin.com has a selection of romantic suspense titles on sale for a very limited time, so don't wait…get them at deeply discounted prices now and get your e-reader summer-ready!

Valid until July 20, 2015, 11:59 p.m. ET.

And don't forget to come back here and let us know which books you picked and we want to hear what you thought of them once read.

message 22: by Harlequin Books (new)

How well do you know Intrigue author Delores Fossen?

Go to Harlequin.com and check if you know the answer to her secret.
HERE> http://community.harlequin.com/showth...

message 23: by Harlequin Books (new)

Weekly Read:

Black Canyon Betrayal
by Cindi Myers

Copyright © 2015 by Harlequin Books S.A.
She may have broken his heart, but no way is April Morningstar part of the deadly smuggling ring Lance Carpenter is sworn to bring down. His investigation of crimes on federal land has brought the Colorado Ranger to April's ranch to recover some priceless Native American artifacts. But much more than justice is at stake when a killer comes after his ex-lover.

A year apart hasn't dimmed April's desire for the dedicated Montrose lawman. But growing accusations of wrongdoing against her family is tearing her apart all over again. Does she have the courage to face down a deadly adversary and try for a second chance with the only man she has ever loved?

message 24: by Harlequin Books (new)

Authors, what are you working on? Find any interesting bits of fact while doing research that you'd like to share?

Readers, tell us what you like/dislike with current trends in your favorite genre. What do you want more of?

message 25: by Harlequin Books (new)

Daily read:

Protector's Promise
by Janie Crouch

Copyright © 2016 by Janie Crouch

Omega Sector: Critical Response agent Aidan Killock is back in Colombia to finish what he started. Fifteen months ago, Najita Fowles provided intel on one of the world's deadliest drug cartels. Seducing her wasn't part of his mission. Until passion ignited…and turning back wasn't an option. Now the stakes are much higher. But Aidan won't give up on this op, even if it means going off the grid to get the exotic beauty out alive.

Trapped inside the Belisario compound, Najita had given up on any hope of rescue. Now that Aidan knows her true identity, it's far more dangerous for both of them. But the undercover operative doesn't know that the real reason she must stay behind isn't just for her own safety. It's for the safety of the infant son Aidan has no idea is his…

message 26: by Janie (new)

Janie Crouch | 6 comments Cynthia wrote: "Linda Howard has been one of my favorite authors for years! I think I still have my original copy of Diamond Bay. ;)"

Hey, me too! Of course, you're also one of my faves, Cynthia. :)

message 27: by Janie (new)

Janie Crouch | 6 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Daily read:
Protector's Promise by Janie CrouchCopyright © 2016 by Janie Crouch

Omega Sector: Critical Response agent Aidan Killock is back in Colombia to finish what he started. Fifteen months ag..."

Hey, that's my story! :D It's a spin off of my Omega Sector: Critical Response series and occurs right after Special Forces Savior (Omega Sector Critical Response #1) by Janie Crouch

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Daily read:
Protector's Promise by Janie CrouchCopyright © 2016 by Janie Crouch

Omega Sector: Critical Response agent Aidan Killock is back in Colombia to finish what he started. Fifteen months ag..."

I've been reading this one. It's a great romantic suspense!

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments I'm a huge fan of romantic suspense miniseries! I think Harlequin Intrigue does a great job in this department. But I've read them in other lines/publishers, too. Some of my favorites include Delores Fossen's Sweetwater Ranch books, B.J. Daniels' Montana Hamiltons, Debra Webb's Colby Agency, Rachel Lee's Conard County books (although I liked the originals better than the "Next Generation"--just more story to them, I think).

message 30: by Janie (new)

Janie Crouch | 6 comments Julie wrote: "I'm a huge fan of romantic suspense miniseries! I think Harlequin Intrigue does a great job in this department. But I've read them in other lines/publishers, too. Some of my favorites include Delor..."

And Julie is too modest to mention her Kansas City series Intrigue books (there's a ton of GREAT ones). Don't miss those.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments Janie wrote: "Julie wrote: "I'm a huge fan of romantic suspense miniseries! I think Harlequin Intrigue does a great job in this department. But I've read them in other lines/publishers, too. Some of my favorites..."

Aw, thanks, Janie. I wish we could record Harlequin's Free Online Reads here on Goodreads. I'm loving your PROTECTOR'S PROMISE on www.harlequin.com! Tells me I need to get my hands on more of your Omega Sector books.

message 32: by Harlequin Books (new)

Julie wrote: " I wish we could record Harlequin's Free Online Reads here on Goodreads...."

Protector's Promise by Janie Crouch Protector's Promise by Janie Crouch

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Julie wrote: " I wish we could record Harlequin's Free Online Reads here on Goodreads...."

Protector's Promise by Janie CrouchProtector's Promise by Janie Crouch"

Cool! I did not know we could do that. The free online reads are how I get my reading fix when I'm really busy--as I am now with a looming deadline. I just put it on my "currently reading" list. Thank you!

message 34: by Harlequin Books (new)

I knew that some of the online reads were given entries here on Goodreads since I've seen them when cleaning up the data base of Harlequin Books. I usually don't add them to Goodreads. I'll try to remember in the future. However, I always share the links on the Harlequin Profile.

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "I knew that some of the online reads were given entries here on Goodreads since I've seen them when cleaning up the data base of Harlequin Books. I usually don't add them to Goodreads. I'll try to ..."

Thank you! I love when I learn something new. Once I finish writing this book, I'll take some time to go back through the online reads I've read and post reviews.

message 36: by Josh (new)

Josh (joshlanyon) | 17 comments Scott wrote: "Personally, I believe we become more attached to characters we've grown to love. The 'suspense' becomes more suspenseful, and we become more protective of the characters if we're attached to them. ..."

Whereas I believe standalone is the most powerful because there are no guarantees. You can throw everything at the characters -- you don't have to pace the romantic arc -- and there is no comforting well, I know she's still alive three books from now ;-)

message 37: by Julie (last edited Feb 12, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments When I think of "series" of romantic suspense books I love best--they aren't books where the same character(s) appears to solve a new crime and develop the romance inch by inch--those make great SUSPENSE books, imo (i.e. Parker's Jesse Stone or Robb's In Death series). But for ROMANTIC suspense books, I want a fresh couple to learn about/bond with/root for/fear for each time. They can be part of a connected series, where I get introduced to future heroes/heroines, and I get to revisit past heroes/heroines (now as supporting characters) so I get the depth and richness of a community of characters I'm becoming a part of. But in a romantic suspense, I want to take that emotional journey to a satisfying conclusion.

So yes, I love miniseries with romantic suspense, but I guess, to clarify, I like when the stories are connected by an overarching mystery or setup that ties them together (a task force, a SWAT team, a government agency, etc.), but I like a standalone romance story in each--not a romance dragged out over several books. Then it becomes a "suspense" series for me--not romantic suspense.

message 38: by Josh (new)

Josh (joshlanyon) | 17 comments Julie wrote: "When I think of "series" of romantic suspense books I love best--they aren't books where the same character(s) appears to solve a new crime and develop the romance inch by inch--those make great SU..."

Those seem to do very well.

message 39: by Harlequin Books (new)

Daily Read:

A Colton Encounter
by Addison Fox

Copyright © 2016 by Harlequin Books S.A.

As the son of a serial killer, cowboy Ethan Colton has lived under a shadow all his life. When he receives some shocking news about his dad, Ethan's thrown into emotional turmoil. And running into his childhood friend Lizzie Conner at the local rodeo doesn't help, as she's all grown-up—and all too tempting…

Lizzie is thrilled to see Ethan again. If anything, he's gotten even sexier over the years, though his family's tragic past clearly still haunts him. But Lizzie's sure about one thing: she's going to lasso herself a cowboy, even if it means getting involved in the deadly drama surrounding the Colton clan…

message 40: by Harlequin Books (new)

Weekly Read:

Undercover Deception
by Cindi Myers

Copyright © 2016 by Harlequin Books S.A.

With law enforcement running through her veins, Tamara Dunn is determined to be the best FBI Special Agent possible. Too bad she has a reputation for jumping first and thinking later. So when Scotland Yard inspector Ian Lassister asks for her help tracking down a terrorist, she can't deny him.

Convincing Tamara to break protocol is one thing. But Ian knows the risks of having her join him in this game of subterfuge would prove even more dangerous. With covers blown and bullets flying, this investigation could end careers… and the chance to explore his feelings for the beautiful agent at his side.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie Miller (juliemiller) | 17 comments Harlequin Books wrote: "Weekly Read:
Undercover Deception by Cindi MyersCopyright © 2016 by Harlequin Books S.A.

With law enforcement running through her veins, Tamara Dunn is determined to be the best FBI Special Agent ..."

I'm enjoying reading this one. A little frustrated that the new installments come just once a week (but then, that seems to be about all the reading time I have lately ;) ). And I'm fascinated that there's really there is really a skill/talent/job known as "super-recognizers"--people whose brain remembers every face they see, either from a photograph or in person.

message 42: by Harlequin Books (new)

Julie wrote: "I'm fascinated that there's really there is really a skill/talent/job known as "super-recognizers"--people whose brain remembers every face they see, either from a photograph or in person. ..."

I know! I would love to have that ability as long as it also comes with remembering all their names if I've met them. I could really use that talent.

message 43: by Harlequin Books (new)

Are you a fan of Marie Force? Did you know she is doing "Ask the Author" here on goodreads? Here is a link if you want to ask her something. https://www.goodreads.com/author/1508...

message 44: by Anita (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:22PM) (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 75 comments I just finished a great book in a wonderful series. Into Dust Into Dust (The Montana Hamiltons, #5) by B.J. Daniels by B.J. Daniels

My Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 45: by Harlequin Books (new)

What did you like most about the series Anita?

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 75 comments I am a B.J. Daniels fan from her very first books. What I really liked about this series was that each book had its own romance and mystery to solve in addition to the overarching mystery that spans the entire series. I also really liked that Buck is a presidential candidate in this. an election year.

message 47: by Harlequin Books (new)

You've convinced me to add the book to my monthly book budget. :)

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 75 comments Be sure to start this series from the first book. It's a great series.

message 49: by C. (last edited Aug 27, 2016 06:44AM) (new)

C. | 29 comments Can anyone suggest suspense-'romance' titles that do not involve a psycho-ex, or a serial killer in the story?
DON'T want torture, unnecessary gore, dismemberment details!
Also not full of 'god-talk'/religious proselytizing, in the case of Love Inspired, or Christian ones.

I have enjoyed several of the 'In Plain Sight' ones by Marta Perry.

message 50: by Nina (new)

Nina | 134 comments Look for any that are "Love Inspired" or Heart Warming". These are always safe, very clean and not dirty in any way. They have all kinds of tittles out.

« previous 1