Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > What are you working on?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 336 (336 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
So what are you guys working on? I'm writing a bunch of short stories about the BAMF of WW2 while I plan out my timeline for the next set of books in my Breath of the Titans series. I paid attention in high school, and knew they were a tough generation, but after diving deep to find inspiration for stories, they were also a little insane. And I've learned why they call them the Greatest Generation. I mean, how many people have heard of Lt. Col. John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill or Maj. Tommy Macpherson from Generation X and beyond? And its sad, because they should know. Now back to the story writing, and I hope you all are having a wonderful day.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 161 comments I'm in the editing stages of my new novel titled Lacey's End. A story about a mother and daughter trying to escape an abusive home. Also working on the second book in my kid's series.

message 3: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Palmer | 19 comments I am in the early stages of story about a perfectly imperfect family. At least, that is what it is right now - who knows what it will become.

message 4: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln Knight | 2 comments I've pretty much finished the first book in a survival thriller trilogy. I'm looking for early feedback while I proof it, get a cover done and get ready to launch the brand. It is being released for free and you could win a signed paperback.

http:www.second-event.com

message 5: by Michael (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:26AM) (new)

Michael P. Dunn (wordboy1) | 86 comments I'm always working on multiple projects so...

I'm editing a completed novella, titled Brianna and the Three, the story of a kidnapping set in the far distant future.

I'm also working on the first draft of my first vampire novel, titled Under the Dark of the Moon. It's the story of Brynna Alexander, vampire/author, her immortal husband, Georges Severin and their struggle against the people trying to kill her.

There are also three shorter projects, the first titled "My Soul to Keep," which is the story of a group of people abducted from Earth in 2013 to be used in an unending series of experiments by an alien race.

The next is titled "Raven," also a kidnapping but set in an earlier time.

The last project is titled "Stranger," which involves a government security agent infiltrating a group of terrorists.

ETA - Forgot one: "Upon a Far Distant Shore," my take on a superhero story.

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4280 comments Mod
Putting the finishing touches on a book I'll be publishing in about a week containing two short superhero stories.

I'm also contemplating dusting off a horror novel I wrote some ten years ago and publishing that since my horror stories seem to be selling okay.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 21 comments I'm at different stages with a few projects:

1) Something Nicer. I've got a second short story collection ready to go (it's just being designed). I'll be releasing a few of the stories individually as well as $0.99/KU things, and then a combined edition (with paperback) of the two collections a little later. So that's a couple of months of releases taken care of as soon as the design work's done.

2) Coeur de Francaise. I translated a 1912 French pulp thriller towards the end of last year, and my [embarrassingly] rough draft is now at the editing stage with a view to publication later this year by a small press.

3) Amelie. It'll probably be a mailing list freebie in the end, but I'm in the process of retyping a Film Studies essay I wrote back in 2002 that defends Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain from its alleged sentimentality and even racism.

4) [title redacted]. I'm writing a novel so utterly cheeky that I have to use a pen name. Which is a shame, as it's easily the best thing I've ever done. Time is also against me, though, it needs to be out by the Summer for reasons that I can't go into without giving the game away.

5) The Uncommon Dead. A trilogy of tongue in cheek zombie novellas. To give you a clue of the tone, I was in the pub one night and found myself writing "I won't fight you, zombie Roger McGough." Roger McGough was in the pub at the time, a mutual mate has let him know about his upcoming undead cameo in my work and he's reportedly amused. I'm about halfway through this, with the first one pretty much done, the third one half written, and some serious plotting needed across the trilogy.

message 8: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) | 687 comments Mod
I'm trying to finish Dakota's story for Rehab for Superheroes while editing Hollow Towns. It's not working out very well. And with my husband's marketing deadlines, then him being sick, and now my son being sick, and now I've developed a cough as well :-/ I'm getting irritated at not being able to work on anything.

message 9: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

....Holy cow. You all are busy as hell! Still, lots of interesting works looking to come out here!

message 10: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 2 comments I am writing book 3 of my Blood and Flames series. I've finished editing book 2 (Imperfect Harmony) and trying to get the cover ready for release in February. All the while, I have university work to do, a sick boyfriend (a serious case of the man flu) and friends with boy problems. It's all go go go...

message 11: by Chrinda (new)

Chrinda Jones (chrindajones) | 2 comments Hello Riley! It sounds as though you're just as busy as the rest of us. Lovvvvve short stories. on a Stephen King short story binge at the moment.I think he is one of the great short storyists.

What am I up to? I'm finishing the edits, etc for the second installment of my crime series, Angels Sing to Rest and I'm about a quarter of the way through writing the third installment (unnamed) of the same series. Not as busy as some, but busier than most I suppose.

Best of luck everyone!

message 12: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

I feel bad...I just made my wife cry because of a character I killed in my horror story. She says he's way to much like me, lol.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 4 comments I'm working on:

1. UF/PNR novella set in my Accords series

2. space opera about a prison ship to be released serially

3. 30-day/30-story challenge which is turning into a serial story

4. trilogy called Children of Heaven I'm co-writing with friends

Those are my main focuses at the moment.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 30 comments I'm doing final editing (considering adding one chapter) to Seeing Jesus, a novel about a middle school urban teenager relocated to a small Texas town who befriends a homeless man noone else sees.

The heart of the story is Sara's struggle to find acceptance with a peer group that rejects outsiders even as her father courts the business of the popular peers' parents. In an urban school Sara could hide in the crowd, but in a school with thirty students she has no escape route. When a well-meaning teacher gives Sara a key role in the Christmas play she becomes a lightning rod for community conflict.

An agent recommended I do something akin to Gaarder's Sophie's Worldbut didn't like this one. I do. I have a photographer working with me on the cover. It will be eBook only.

The book appears to be YA (which I never intended) but introduces readers to questions raised by philosophers such as Derrida and Wittgenstein. It also builds on a conflict between Bible Belt and less rigid community traditions.

And, Riley, you have to kill the characters your spouses love. It helps them read more critically in the future.

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Stephens | 30 comments Also just finished reviewing Rayne Hall's Twitter for Writers which really helped me get my Twitter campaign started. Nice meeting you guys. I'm really having fun with the writers in the Weekly Short Stories Contest group too.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm working on a series of thrillers.
The first one will be published in March. I finished the second one last week; I'll start editing it in a few days. And I've only just started writing the third one.
They're novellas of about 20k words each.

message 17: by J. (new)

J. Kay | 3 comments This is great, everyone sounds busy. Good luck to you guys.

I just finished my first draft on book 3 of The King's Elite series. I'll let it sit for about 3-4 weeks then I'll get back to work, cutting the fat and sharpening my characters and plot. This is by far my favorite part of the process.

message 18: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Really J? That's always the hardest part to me x D

message 19: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Carroll (BruceCarroll) | 26 comments Working on my blog right now. Also, I'm working on a presentation for Career Day at my daughter's school.

message 20: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments Michael wrote: "I'm always working on multiple projects so...

I'm editing a completed novella, titled Brianna and the Three, the story of a kidnapping set in the far distant future.

I'm also working on the fir..."

Your books sound intriguing!

message 21: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Mann | 17 comments I'm editing a novella called "Burning Sage On Cedar Lane" and writing a sequel to a murder mystery manuscript called "Tuttleman: A DOA Novel".

message 22: by J. (new)

J. Kay | 3 comments Riley wrote: "Really J? That's always the hardest part to me x D"

If I just think of it as work then it gets old really fast. I think of it as my time to make my story better. It's fun finding something in chapter three and moving it to chapter 7 because its a better fit.

message 23: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

I wish I could draw....would make cover design so much easier! My stick men always look like bowmen.

message 24: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

I second that! I've always wished that I could illustrate as well.

Riley wrote: "I wish I could draw....would make cover design so much easier! My stick men always look like bowmen."

message 25: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 28 comments I am working on two novels at the time. One is a contemporary western that begins in the mid 1970's and ends in the near future - 2025.

The other one, I have brought back a character and supporting characters from my first novel, CAMP TIMBER GORGE, Rowdy Delts. Some reviewers had ask me to complete the romance between Rowdy and Mary; somewhere along the line that will take place. Right now I have to get Rowdy out of the Pacific Ocean where he is drowning.

message 26: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (last edited Feb 01, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

I read "near future - 2025" and thought "That's not the near future!" And then I realized it was 2015. . . where did the time go?? I feel like I was just graduating high school in 2002 like a year ago!

message 27: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Lol I know what you mean Ann.

message 28: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 142 comments Ann wrote: "I second that! I've always wished that I could illustrate as well.

Riley wrote: "I wish I could draw....would make cover design so much easier! My stick men always look like bowmen.""

Yeah, my stickmen are rather pathetic. Still, xkcd makes it work, so I suppose there's hope... I'd rather pay someone else to make things pretty though. ;-)

I'm working on a few short stories just to change things up a bit, and getting the last of my Kickstarter backer rewards out the door to their recipients, reading for some review swaps, and then getting back to revising the next novel in line for publication, Gwendamned.

message 29: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 28 comments Ann wrote: "I read "near future - 2025" and thought "That's not the near future!" And then I realized it was 2015. . . where did the time go?? I feel like I was just graduating high school in 2002 like a year ..."

I had to do some math on the date myself.

message 30: by A.W. (new)

A.W. Palmer | 19 comments Kent wrote: "Ann wrote: "I read "near future - 2025" and thought "That's not the near future!" And then I realized it was 2015. . . where did the time go?? I feel like I was just graduating high school in 2002 ..."

I am just upset that hover boards don't exist yet....thanks a lot Marty McFly.

message 31: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

At the very least, flying cars. . .or clothes made from shiny metallic fabric.

A.W. wrote: "Kent wrote: "Ann wrote: "I read "near future - 2025" and thought "That's not the near future!" And then I realized it was 2015. . . where did the time go?? I feel like I was just graduating high sc..."

message 32: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Virginia wrote: "Ann wrote: "I second that! I've always wished that I could illustrate as well.

Riley wrote: "I wish I could draw....would make cover design so much easier! My stick men always look like bowmen.""..."

Amen, and i love those comics.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

A.W., hoverboards do exist, they're just not commercialized yet--because still a bit of a prototype, but Marty used (or will use?) one in October 2015, so there's time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheV...

message 34: by Denis (new)

Denis Hearn | 6 comments I am finished with the final draft of "Bagger Island" and working on the cover art design. I am also outlining the third book in the Conor and Anne series.

www.denishearn.com/blog

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments I have just sent my sequel to 'Never Run Away' to the book designer. We find suitable photos on the web and he tries them out until I find one I like. It has worked well for four novels and I'm excited about choosing this one.
I am considering attempting a romance next.

message 36: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Awesome!!

Sandrine wrote: "A.W., hoverboards do exist, they're just not commercialized yet--because still a bit of a prototype, but Marty used (or will use?) one in October 2015, so there's time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/w..."

message 37: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Do you have someone you use for cover art? Or do you design them yourself?

Denis wrote: "I am finished with the final draft of "Bagger Island" and working on the cover art design. I am also outlining the third book in the Conor and Anne series.

www.denishearn.com/blog"

message 38: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

What is Never Run Away about?

Julie wrote: "I have just sent my sequel to 'Never Run Away' to the book designer. We find suitable photos on the web and he tries them out until I find one I like. It has worked well for four novels and I'm exc..."

message 39: by Denis (new)

Denis Hearn | 6 comments Ann wrote: "Do you have someone you use for cover art? Or do you design them yourself?

Denis wrote: "I am finished with the final draft of "Bagger Island" and working on the cover art design. I am also outli..."

Doing it myself.

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori Beasley-Holmes (loribeasleybradley) | 16 comments I use CreateSpace and try to create my cover before beginning to write. It helps to motivate me. Luckily if I see some artwork I like better, the process lets me change things. I have Book 1 of My Soiled Dove Sagas, The Ruby Queen with an editor now and will hopefully be publishing within the next month. I am attempting a Romance now set in 1874 New Orleans. I am calling it Sweet Rewards. I am 23 chapters and over 50,000 words into it. Have never written Romance and having fun with it.

message 41: by Graham (new)

Graham Garrity (grahamgarrity) | 11 comments I've got a number of projects on the go at present. My second novel, a ghost story, is almost complete but I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable title. As a last resort I may have to get out the Ouija board.

message 42: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

What better people to name a ghost book then ghosts, right?

message 43: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Yes, but then you've piqued their interest and they're involved. . . . . . .*cue eerie music*

Riley wrote: "What better people to name a ghost book then ghosts, right?"

message 44: by Greg (new)

Greg Scott | 87 comments As a rookie author, I'm amazed at authors that come up with book series and the creativity I've seen in these posts. How do you guys do it?

I'm just about ready to release my first book, named "Bullseye Breach." Ripped from recent headlines, it's a fiction story that describes a successful cyber attack against a large retailer. It has all the thriller elements and more, including an international cast of criminals, a credit card forger in San Francisco, a small time thief in Phoenix, a new American citizen in Laredo, TX, and an energetic fraud analyst and an IT pro in Minneapolis who come up with a way to fight back. Oh yes, and a floating dead body in the Gulf of Finland. The book has an entertaining story, but it's really a teaching tool about IT security. Anyone who believes IT security only matters to IT people will change their minds after reading about Regina Lopez.

- Greg Scott

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Greg, that sounds interesting. :)

message 46: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Howarth I love how this thread started with what we're working on and ended with hoverboards, only to be brought back to current projects!

I'm super busy right now- doing final preparations for the release of The Institute sequel, "Resistance", also editing the third installment in the series, AND I've just started my first draft of my spin off series! BUSY BUSY BUSY.
Not to mention marketing for "The Institute". UGH.

message 47: by Greg (new)

Greg Scott | 87 comments Sandrine wrote: "Greg, that sounds interesting. :)"

Thanks Sandrine.

- Greg

message 48: by Ann, Supreme Overlord (new)

Let me know when the sequel is released!!!!!!!!!! Please :)

Kayla wrote: "I love how this thread started with what we're working on and ended with hoverboards, only to be brought back to current projects!

I'm super busy right now- doing final preparations for the releas..."

message 49: by Jere (new)

Jere II (jerefoley) | 8 comments The first book in my series, Slumberscythe, focused on the Sandman side of my hero's ancestry. I'm having a blast writing Book Two, which will focus much more on the Reaper side of his family. As a bonus, I'm ramping up the shadowy war between the Outré bloodlines as well.

message 50: by Lorine (new)

Lorine Thomas | 130 comments I am currently working on the next in the series from Cross Your Heart. Taking a couple of the characters and making them the primary focus of the stories.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7