Goodreads Developers discussion

Add reviews problem

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Nuñez (paulnunezm) | 19 comments Hi, I'm trying to create a review for a book but it's givin me a 422 Unprocessable Entity error.

I'm using the provied url:
https://www.goodreads.com/review.xml

And passing this parameters:
book_id
review[review]
review[rating]
shelf

and i suppose that the shelf parameter is the one I want to move the book to.

I'll really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffwong) | 74 comments Mod
Have you put the arguments in the OAuth body?

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Nuñez (paulnunezm) | 19 comments Yes, I'm doing it the post and the oAuth same way I'll do it for making book read status updates, and that it's working like a charm.

I don't know why the add review it's throwing that error.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I'd bet theres a problem with excaping or not escaping the square brackets. Which oAuth library are you using?

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Nuñez (paulnunezm) | 19 comments I'm using signpost Java library.

I can actually perform status updates posts, but not add reviews :/. Any idea why this is happening ??

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Paul,

Can you post the book id and other values that you're passing in?

You'll get a 422 response if the review could not be created for some reason. The xml response should contain the errors that are causing the review to not be saved. What does the xml response you're getting look like?

One reason you might be getting that is if you've already shelved the book...for example, if you've shelved a book as "to-read" and then try to create a review for the book on your "read" shelf. You mentioned " the shelf parameter is the one I want to move the book to" ... is it possible that you already have a review for that book?

If you just want to move a book from one shelf to another, you need to use the review/edit endpoint: https://www.goodreads.com/api/index#r...

message 7: by Paul (last edited Feb 06, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Paul Nuñez (paulnunezm) | 19 comments Hi Nichole, I've been trying to figure out the problem without any success.

I'm getting this error in the response:
errors
error>Book has already been reviewed by this user
/error>
/errors>

But I've tried to make a review with a new book that I just added to the "currently-reading" shelve. :/

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it already on the currently-reading shelf, and you're trying to move it to another shelf? You shouldn't create a new review if you're trying to just move it from one shelf to another. You'd need to edit the existing review and change the shelf from "currently-reading" to "read" (or whatever shelf you're moving it to)

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Nuñez (paulnunezm) | 19 comments Ok that I understand, so, if I want to rate a book, first I have to move it to the read shelve using the previous URL you provided. But now, how can I rate it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You should be able to pass in the rating, review text, read_at date, shelf name, etc into the review.edit endpoint:

https://www.goodreads.com/api/index#r...