Devon Book Club discussion

54 views
Currently Reading > Take your book for a walk

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol's husband suggested this thread and, spending a weekend away in Cornwall - with my book of course - I decided to give it a go. I've posted a photo of me reading said book (Cakes and Ale) with St. Mawes castle in the background. (It's in the photos folder, top right.)


message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
This is a really good, fun idea. Lets see where else people take their books for a walk. Thanks to Carol's husband for a great idea and to Kathy for getting us started


message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Kathy wrote: "Carol's husband suggested this thread and, spending a weekend away in Cornwall - with my book of course - I decided to give it a go. I've posted a photo of me reading said book ([book:Cakes and Ale..."

Kathy wrote: "Carol's husband suggested this thread and, spending a weekend away in Cornwall - with my book of course - I decided to give it a go. I've posted a photo of me reading said book ([book:Cakes and Ale..."
Just seen your photo. Lovely. Still looking for somewhere for The Martian.


message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Kathy wrote: "Carol's husband suggested this thread and, spending a weekend away in Cornwall - with my book of course - I decided to give it a go. I've posted a photo of me reading said book ([book..."

It was just to start us off really. I'm sure everyone will come up with more exotic/adventurous destinations as time goes on...


message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Usually, comments pop up on my email from Goodreads, but yours, very strangely, didn't.
What with St Mawes and Truro, you sound like you're having a holiday in Cornwall. Have a good time. Lol.


message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Usually, comments pop up on my email from Goodreads, but yours, very strangely, didn't.
What with St Mawes and Truro, you sound like you're having a holiday in Cornwall. Have a good time. Lol."

I did have a short break there. Sadly its over but I did have a good time, thank you! (Slightly blighted by my husband eating something which disagreed with him big-time but I think I'll gloss over that.)


message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Oh dear, well at least you didn't eat it.


message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. Have really enjoyed it and it was lovely reading it in the woods in the sun.


message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. Have really enjoyed it and..."
That looks a precarious position for a Kindle, balanced on a table next to a stream! Your Kindle is obviously living dangerously!


message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments I added a photo taken earlier this month at Goring on Sea, which is just west of Worthing. The beach is typical of the area - large pebbles on a steeply shelving beach to sand. Goring's claim to fame is a beach cafe with cream cakes to die for!


message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Sue wrote: "I added a photo taken earlier this month at Goring on Sea, which is just west of Worthing. The beach is typical of the area - large pebbles on a steeply shelving beach to sand. Goring's claim to ..."
Looks lovely there - nice day too and very still by the look of it. (Didn't flap the pages too much hopefully!)


message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Well, pleased books are getting an outing. They give us pleasure, it's nice to reciprocate!
I've noticed that title The Spring of Kaspar Meier before and thought it looked interesting. Did you enjoy it, Sue? Given its setting, Berlin after the War, was it grim?


message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. Have really en..."

Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. Have really en..."

I live life to the max, Carol. It was a real adrenalin rush


message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. ..."

Is that you or your book speaking, Ian?


message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments Carol wrote: "Well, pleased books are getting an outing. They give us pleasure, it's nice to reciprocate!
I've noticed that title The Spring of Kaspar Meier before and thought it looked interesting. Did you enj..."


The descriptions of the environment and the way people had to do things to survive were excellent. But I really didn't like the characters so it got a bit hard going at times. Going to listen to the author at the book festival next month, which is why I was reading it. But interesting nontheless.
Yes it was a sunny day but there was a biting wind. No space inside but managed to find a bit of shelter for my coffee, cake and book!


message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a great book. ..."
We're so lucky here in Devon to have such a choice of beautiful scenery, aren't we?


message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Carol wrote: "Well, pleased books are getting an outing. They give us pleasure, it's nice to reciprocate!
I've noticed that title The Spring of Kaspar Meier before and thought it looked interestin..."


which book festival Sue?


message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly finished - a ..."

Absolutely. No wonder it got voted the best place to live in the UK.


message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments Essex book festival Ian. Going to hear Roma Tearne and Sue Morgan too. Like Devon, it's a big county and I'm in Kent for a week of it so not doing the 'big names'. But I really enjoy Roma's books and it will be interesting to hear Sue's round the world trip. It was lovely when oldest child lived in the centre of Bath and I could just walk from one event to another.


message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "Carol wrote: "Ian wrote: "OK - so I took my Kindle to the Commons at Great Torrington today - picture in the photos section. The book is Over by Margaret Forster - nearly..."
Didn't know that. Not surprised.


message 21: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Interesting authors
not familiar with their work. Love book festivals. Have fun


message 22: by Ian (last edited Feb 28, 2015 12:36AM) (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
So, Alsion is on holiday in Australia and sent me a picture of her featured book, on a walk in the sand dunesat Solitary Island Marine Park, Woolgoolga, NSW. She was reading Kathy's book 'Silent Faces, Painted Ghosts'. How's that Kathy - you've been taken for a walk in the sunshine.

See the photo section for Ali's picture


message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments That's wonderful! I don't expect when you wrote it, Kathy, that you expected to see a photo of it on Goodreads being read at Woolgoolga! Lol.


message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Brilliant - definitely a first! (My book is more well-travelled than I am... :) )


message 25: by Ian (last edited Mar 01, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Brilliant - definitely a first! (My book is more well-travelled than I am... :) )"

Certainly something to quote on your webpage Kathy - a quirky claim to fame


message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Added a photo today - Murakami on the Tarka Trail, in beautiful spring sunshine.


message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Angela wrote: "Added a photo today - Murakami on the Tarka Trail, in beautiful spring sunshine."

Certainly looked like a beautiful day - and a lovely spot for a read!


message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Angela wrote: "Added a photo today - Murakami on the Tarka Trail, in beautiful spring sunshine."
That's lovely, Angela. Love the juxtaposition of Devon woodland and the Japanese author, Murakami. It also fits in with the theme of isolation in a beautiful place which was in the book I read of his- Norwegian Wood.


message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Carol wrote: "Angela wrote: "Added a photo today - Murakami on the Tarka Trail, in beautiful spring sunshine."
That's lovely, Angela. Love the juxtaposition of Devon woodland and the Japanese author, Murakami. I..."


Thank you Carol - Norwegian Wood would have been the ideal Murakami novel for that setting - I read that one a while ago!


message 30: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Ali posted a photo of The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse from the Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney. Green eyed monster stalking this moderator!


message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Ian wrote: "Ali posted a photo of The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse from the Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney. Green eyed monster stalking this moderator!"
Wow, what a setting!


message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Went into Cornwall for a few days. Read People of the Book whilst there and have posted a photo of same against a backdrop of a tributary of the Fal estuary near where we were staying.


message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
I took The Master and Margarita on my Kindle to Baggy Point, North Devon this afternoon - it was a glorious day. Uploaded in the photos section.


message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Ian wrote: "I took The Master and Margarita on my Kindle to Baggy Point, North Devon this afternoon - it was a glorious day. Uploaded in the photos section."
It looked stunning there, Ian. I think I might have spent more time looking at the view than reading... (Can I say that in a reading group? ;))


message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments The North Devon coast is one of the most beautiful in Britain, so delighted you chose Baggy Point, Ian!


message 36: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "Ian wrote: "I took The Master and Margarita on my Kindle to Baggy Point, North Devon this afternoon - it was a glorious day. Uploaded in the photos section."
It looked stunning there,..."


My confession would be that I took it there but I didn't actually read very much. I sat against the rock looking across to Morte Point (in the direction of Woolacombe), and got lost in thought in the warm sunshine. But the intention was there. I was reading by osmosis!


message 37: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "The North Devon coast is one of the most beautiful in Britain, so delighted you chose Baggy Point, Ian!"

Agree that Carol - count my blessings every time I get out on to the coast. And it is different every time.


message 38: by Helen (new)

Helen | 105 comments Just posted a photo from today when I took my book to Watersmeet. I have just started to read ' Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley a reading group choice, very out of place in the surroundings today.


message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Helen wrote: "Just posted a photo from today when I took my book to Watersmeet. I have just started to read ' Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley a reading group choice, very out of place in the surroundings today."
A lovely spot to sit and read though, Helen. I can imagine the soothing sound of the water bubbling over and round the stones...


message 40: by Helen (new)

Helen | 105 comments Yes it was a beautiful spot...I will return with a packed lunch next time and maybe some poetry....more apt for the situation.


message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Helen wrote: "Just posted a photo from today when I took my book to Watersmeet. I have just started to read ' Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley a reading group choice, very out of place in the surroundings today."
I presume that's Watersmeet, where the two Lyns meet. Also one of my very favourite places.


message 42: by Helen (last edited Apr 06, 2015 01:17PM) (new)

Helen | 105 comments Yes you are right Carol, it is very beautiful there and surprisingly quiet yesterday for an Easter Sunday.


message 43: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "Just posted a photo from today when I took my book to Watersmeet. I have just started to read ' Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley a reading group choice, very out of place in the surroundings today."

Great photo - I love this thread - though I can see that Gothic horror and the gentle burbling of Watersmeet may be slightly incongruous. Thats hte beauty of a good book - you can go anywhere from anywhere


message 44: by B J (last edited Apr 07, 2015 04:05AM) (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 314 comments When we lived in Plymouth my wife and I frequently visited another Watersmeet where the Walkham runs into the Tavy within mature woodland. We always had books with us, but we never read them. We just sat there, leaning against a tree, soaking up the peace and beauty of the place while hoping that our day would be made by the metallic turquoise flash of a passing kingfisher. The books had to wait until later when we were sitting in the pub garden.


message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue | 342 comments Posted a picture taken last month at Watchet. The place has changed so much in the past years. No timber on the harbour and lots of cafes. An easy bus trip from Taunton. A couple of nice sculptures on the harbour and places to walk - but it was far too cold that day ( had thermals on!)! Will try again.


message 46: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Posted a picture taken last month at Watchet. The place has changed so much in the past years. No timber on the harbour and lots of cafes. An easy bus trip from Taunton. A couple of nice sculpture..."

Love it - interesting link with Coleridge


message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Sue wrote: "Posted a picture taken last month at Watchet. The place has changed so much in the past years. No timber on the harbour and lots of cafes. An easy bus trip from Taunton. A couple of nice sculpture..."
I studied The Ancient Mariner at school but had no idea about the link to Watchet. (But loved the poem.)


message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Posted a photo.
Verity has become disenchanted with standing naked and pregnant at the end of Ilfracombe Pier and has decided to be flown in a Space Capsule to Mars in order to finally give birth there and produce the first Martian. She wanted to read The Martian in order to acquaint herself with the conditions she might encounter, although obviously lack of oxygen will not be a problem for her. She also feels that she will be far more mobile in less gravity and I agree with her. Bon Voyage Verity. You have done your bit for Ilfracombe tourism and it is probably time to move on, and where better to do so, if you are an incredibly tall statue, part of whose insides are anatomically displayed,than Mars.


message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 524 comments Carol wrote: "Posted a photo.
Verity has become disenchanted with standing naked and pregnant at the end of Ilfracombe Pier and has decided to be flown in a Space Capsule to Mars in order to finally give birth t..."


Brilliant, Carol. And love the photo.


message 50: by Ian (new)

Ian | 2991 comments Mod
Love it - Im going to post on Facebook

Also, I've just posted a picture from my walk last weekend from Westward Ho to Clovelly on the coast path - together with HHhH by Laurent Binet


« previous 1
back to top