Start by marking “Book Of Fire” as Want to Read:
Book Of Fire

Book Of Fire

(The Book of Fire #1)

Life outside the domes is not possible. At least that's what Insiders are told. Twins Eli and Talia shouldn't exist. They're Outsiders.

Their home is a secret. Their lives are a secret. Arafel is a secret.

An unexpected forest raid forces Talia into a desperate mission to rescue her family while protecting the sacred book of Arafel from those who would use it as a weapon.
ebook
Published August 27th 2017 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about Book Of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Of Fire

Start your review of Book Of Fire
Dash fan
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4☆ Beautifully Written, Imaginative, Dystopian Fantasy.

Book of Fire is an imaginative play on your senses and literally transports you into a world of Fantasy, danger, wonderful creatures.

In a way it kind of reminds me of the TV series The 100 which I am hooked on.

Two worlds, one inside the Dome and one outside the Dome.
After a war that has filled the area of Nuclear poison. Those inside the Dome have never been outside in fear they will not survive. Or have they been outside??
The Insiders must
Zoe Mann
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'The book of fire' by Michelle Kenney is the most exciting and imaginative fantasy novel I have read in years.

It is a story of survival, strength and loyalty as well as cruelty, deception and evil.

Talia is the heroine Fantasy has been waiting for, she is flawed, undeterred and sometimes a little feral. Her family have spent their lives in the forest of Arafel, watching the life of plants, animals and nature begin to return after the Great War, but, no one knows of their existence. The rest of
Tana 🌻 Cozyreadings
17/07/2020

thank you Netgalley, for the e-copy in exchange for an honest review

TW: loss of a loved one, (attempted-, and talk where there are hints of) rape

4,5 stars

Excuse me but this was so good??
Welcome to the dystopian world after the Great world destroyed civilization as we know it. Humans have moved into lifedomes, except for a few called the outsiders. One of these outsiders (Talia) is the protector of a very important book, a book that could change the world again if it falls into th
Nicole Sweeney
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles

This is a vivid and wonderfully written dystopian fantasy. The one thing that I really adored about Book of Fire is the imaginative setting and exciting plot. After a nuclear war, only those who live inside the dome are supposed to exist, but Talia and her family exist on the outside, and they thrive in the natural environment. When part of her family are captured, Thalia has to venture into the dome to save the ones she love. But all is not
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In quite a big change to regular content, this review is focussing on a book that is currently on available as an ebook - though I hold my hopes that HQ Digital will eventually release the trilogy as paperbacks. Luckily for me, HQ gave me a printed copy of the manuscript to read as my strange little brain cannot seem to handle ebooks.

The Book of Fire is the first in a trilogy of dystopian novels from Michelle Kenney. Inspired by the wealth of Roman history around her home in the South West of En
Katharine Corr
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book of Fire is dystopian with a difference: a technologically advanced, totalitarian regime based on Ancient Rome and crawling with genetically recreated mythological creatures, versus a human forest settlement founded on respect for nature, both bound together by a real life medieval manuscript. This was such an exciting read, told from the perspective of brave, determined 19 yr old Talia and full of other wonderful characters. I'm looking forward to book 2, City of Dust.
Stuart White
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dynamic, beautiful and tense to the end. Book of fire is a compulsive and exciting read, the world brought to life by gorgeous lyrical prose and description that will engage all your senses as your read. I've never wanted to eat an apricot so much! This is only the start of an exciting new series, but it will below away readers as a stand alone, too, and I dare you to not fall in love with both the world and characters in this novel.
Rachel B
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reread #2: Huh I didn't realise I'd already reread because you keep picking up on things that you didn't the first few times and it's still as amazing as before, bring on book #2 and then book #3!

Reread: I felt like I wanted to re-read this book before I started on book two and it was just as good as I remembered. I really can't wait to see what's in store for Talia and August.

I loved this book. I got this from Netgalley in exchange for a review.
Talia, the main character, was one of my favourite
Cody
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book of Fire is a fast paced and action packed debut that dystopian fans will not want to miss. It’s set in a world divided: those who live inside the Dome and those who live outside of the Dome. Those inside the Dome think they safe after the nuclear war and aren’t aware that the outside world is habitable. Those outside of the Dome live out in the wilderness were they’ve made their home for many generations. However they live in fear of the people inside the Dome, as soldiers will come into th ...more
Gemma McGee
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Book of Fire is  Michelle Kennedy debut young adult novel.

The book is set in a world after a nuclear war, where two groups of people live, the insiders and the outsiders. The insiders believe that no one can survive outside their dome, that what they have been told. But Talia and her twin brother Eli provide that incorrect, they are outsiders living in a hidden village called Arafel they live in secret as if caught by an insider they disappear. An unexpected raid forces Talia and her best friend
Charlotte Burns
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book of Fire is a brilliant dystopian novel telling the story of Talia, who discovers she is the guardian of a very important book, a role she inherits from her grandfather just before the forest is raided and her grandfather, brother and lifelong friend are captured by Insiders.

The Insiders must not find out that Outsiders exist, but Talia will stop at nothing to get her family back, even as she discovers the dark and sinister experiments happening on the Inside and their desire to get their h
Katina Wright
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved ‘Book of Fire’! A rollercoaster ride of action & emotion, Michelle Kenney cleverly weaves together a heady mix of dystopia history, science, romance and mythology. Two societies, one in harmony with nature and living amongst the trees. The other, where science is trying to control nature, creating horror, cruelty and an unfair society. The main characters are complex, flawed and loveable. The tension and adventure, mixed with the complicated relationships and romance, makes this a page t ...more
Greyson | Use Your Words
I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

DNF at 50%
I tried, I really tried. Normally I will DNF a book much sooner than the halfway mark because I don't like wasting my time on a book that I'm not really enjoying, but as this one is an arc, that I requested myself, and it wasn't bad I figured I owed it a little extra time. But it just wasn't for me.

The concept of Book of Fire was interesting enough. The world as we know it has come to an end. People who have lived in th
Jess
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to HQ Digital and NetGalley*

Talia and her twin brother Eli live in a forest community in a future England that has been affected by nuclear war.
They live in fear of their home being discovered by the dome-dwelling Insiders who have been led to believe that life outside the domes is impossible.
When some of Talia's family are taken by the Insiders, she will do anything to get them back. Even if it means going into the domes.
W
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
A copy of the title was generously given to me by the author

Firstly, I really like this cover.

So the book itself has its pros and cons. I noticed that it needed another eye or round of editing as there were multiple instances where the wrong tense of a word was used (i.e. everything was written in present tense and then there was a sudden past tense of a word used) which threw me off a few times.

I liked the general plot idea but I feel like this book really lacks structure and information. It's
Vicky
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you come across a book that you can’t quite categorise. Is it a science-fiction novel, is it a fantasy novel, or is it just a straight YA novel? The Book of Fire is one of these: I picked it up expected a straight fantasy romp, and it ended up twisting and turning like a labyrinth, giving us some odd curveballs along the way.
The Book of FIre does start as a fantasy. Talia and her family live in a forested community, hidden from the outside world by mountains and crags. A hundred years
S.E. Anderson
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know where this book would go when I started reading it: at first glance, it seemed like a traditional dystopia, with the world post-apocalypse, and the surviving humans split between the outsiders (who live in the forest) and those inside the Lifedome, a massive structure housing what is left of civilization. We follow Talia, an outsider, hunting and gathering for her family until the day her brother and grandfather are taken in a raid by those mysterious people inside the dome. And th ...more
Esha
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley for this ARC.

Book of Fire is a book set in the 22nd century. There are two ways of life, "inside" and "outside". Those who are outsiders should not exist. Talia is an outsider who loves her family, and will do anything to protect them, even if it means going "inside".

This was a fun read by Michelle Kenney. Going into this book I did not know much about it other than the description but I was intrigued. Whilst reading I found I was reminded of books like hunger games, diverg
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
I requested an advanced copy for review purposes.
Rating: 3.5*

As the first book from HQ Digital, I was curious to see what they started off with. Furthermore, this book was discovered by Chloe Seager, author of EDITING EMMA but also an agent, and I wanted to see what I could expect from her in terms of findings in the future. I was pleasantly surprised that this first offering was a YA dystopian, as I love them so much, but they seem to have been largely relegated to self-publishing these days (b
Hannah-lynette Hunter
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win a proof copy of this wonderful debut novel. I devoured it, I loved it, I want someone to wipe my memory so I can read it all over again. I felt like I was dipping into a world born from my childhood favourite sci-fi movies and books. From Logan’s Run to Mad Max, this book was what I always wanted.

The Characters

All characters are well rounded and being fully engaging. You care for them and you wish for the people of Arafel to remain safe. However, there are certain char
Susan J. Barrett
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I read this in pretty much one sitting and finished it within 24hrs.
Yes, it’s dystopian, but that doesn’t begin to describe the scope of the world building Michelle Kennedy crafts in this epic beginning to her trilogy. And if YA books typically have you rolling your eyes at the painful teenage romance scenes, then welcome to the real world, my friends.
I dare you not to get a little bit hot under the collar for August AND Max. And you know what? I still can’t decide. Okay, August. But m
Marisa Blagden
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written in a unique style, this fast paced thriller is full of wonderful prose that creates a rich world in the readers imagination. Bringing together roman history, mythological creatures and the all too important topic of genetic modification, the author weaves a fascinating tale of an alternate past and future. Unable to put the book down, I whipped through it in a couple of days. I will definitely be picking up the sequel.
Lee
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t put this book down.

Talia was a strong, stubborn character. And her love for her family was endearing. I loved her interactions with August and I can’t wait for the next book. It should be interesting to see how this goes based on the ending.
Tfalcone
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank You Net Galley for the free ARC.

Talia lives outside the dome that allegedly saved humanity after a virus infected and killed the masses. The jungles have claimed back the cities and Talia and her people hunt and grow crops for survival. One day the sweepers catch her and her grandfather and she learns what the dome is really about.
Candyce Kirk
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

I know we should never judge a book by its cover, but the cover of Book of Fire was the first thing that attracted me to this story. It's stunning and made me want to dive right into the story! I have read quite a few dystopian stories, but nothing like this one. This author created such an unique and intersting world.

Talia, our main character, lives with her family in Arafel. This place shouldn't exsist after the world as they knew it was destroyed. A life dome was created and accordin
TheBookishFairy (Lauren)
This book was a bit of a slow starter for me. We gathered the basic idea that this is set in a dystopian future in England where some radiation disaster has destroyed life as we know it.

We follow Talia who lives outside the dome in the natural environment, her village trying to hide their existence from ‘the dome’. We find out that there has been some radiation disaster that destroyed cities, destroyed most water borne and air borne diseases and caused catastrophic climate change that made it p
Stephanie (Betty) Sherbs
Imaginative World.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes it was similar to Divergent and The Hunger Games but at the same time I feel like it's it's own masterpiece. Highly recommend reading if you enjoy those series.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

This was the first ARC I picked up after YALC and I wanted to love it.

I was so excited to read it and it sound right up my alley.

However I kind of only read 2 chapters over ten days, had no urge to return to picking it up, and when I did I noticed I kept reading the same bit over and over.

I don’t know why this happened because the writing itself was really good, the set up for the world was really interesti
Anne Teare
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm so glad this book is over. The main character Talia was quite annoying and one-sided. Her predictable response to every situation was to lose her temper. The only character I actually liked was the cyclops.
April Grace
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You can find my Booktube review for this novel below, at

Kind regards,

April Grace O'Sullivan

• The Choice of Magic (Art of the Adept, #1)
  • ЯED (True Reign, #2)
  • The Key (True Reign, #1)
  • Shadow Knights (Knights of the Realm, #2)
  • War (True Reign, #3)
  • Crimson Bound
  • Brothersong (Green Creek, #4)
  • Hidden Knights (Knights of the Realm, #3)
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • DarkSkull Hall (The Mage Chronicles, #1)
  • Taliath (The Mage Chronicles, #2)
  • Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)
  • Darkmage (The Mage Chronicles, #3)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Buried Heart (Court of Fives, #3)
  • Poisoned Blade (Court of Fives, #2)
  • Heartfire (The Mage Chronicles, #4)
  • How It All Blew Up
I’m a firm believer in magic, and that ancient doorways to alternate worlds can still be found if we look hard enough. I’m also a hopeless scribbleaholic and, when left to my own devices, like nothing better than dreaming up new fantasy worlds in the back of a dog-eared notebook. Doctors have said they’re unlikely to find a cure any time soon.

In between scribbling, I love reading, attempting to pl

The Book of Fire (3 books)
  • City of Dust
  • Storm of Ash (Book of Fire #3)