Year of Cosmere discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
Mistborn: The Final Empire > The Survivor of Hathsin - Chapters 1-8

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lindsey Rey | 6 comments Mod
This thread is to discuss Part 1 of The Final Empire which consists of Chapters 1-8!

What are your thoughts so far? Are you enjoying the writing style? Do you like Vin as a character?

Paul (paul_sff) | 7 comments The first part of The Final Empire was a ton of fun. This world is so clever. I can't imagine how surprised people probably felt when they first read this book back in 2006.

I've read Sanderson's Wheel of Time books, so I am rather familiar with his writing style, but it wasn't until I thought about it some while reading this first part what makes Sanderson's writing interesting to me. What makes the writing good for me is that Sanderson creates scenes, almost like a play. He will keep writing a particular scene and when he ends that scene he then goes to another scene. Each scene, focuses squarely on that "set" and he flushes the scene out with many pages. Other authors will jump around a lot, a couple paragraphs at this location, couple paragraphs with dialogue, couple paragraphs at a new scene, and it all just doesn't naturally flow. Sanderson creates long scenes that hold your attention and constantly remind you what is going on.

Not only that, dialogue scenes, and action scenes are separated. There are few scenes with a lot of dialogue and action in them together. Nothing is worse than a fight but with random dialogue breaking up the flow.

I like Vin so far. I will always prefer to read a fantasy book through the eyes of someone learning about the world while we learn about the world.

message 3: by Diana (last edited Jan 29, 2015 12:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diana I got myself a graphic audio of this book and it enhances the experience so much!
The only book I read by Sanderson is Steelheart, which I love. I have always been intimidated by high fantasy, but Sanderson is such a great writer I am going to finish this in a few days, maybe even before February begins.
I am in love with the world, I am still getting used to recognizing all the characters, since fantasy usually has rather large number of them.
Vin is a great character, I completely agree with the post above, it is so much fun discovering the world alongside her.

Lindsey Rey | 6 comments Mod
I really want to reread this book just so I can try out a graphic audiobook!!! They sound amazing based on the samples I've listened to. Glad y'all are enjoying the book so far!

Tracy Oh...my...goodness. I just finished the prologue...just the prologue. I already know I'm going to love this book. Why hadn't I found Sanderson sooner?! Sheesh... I've been missing out.

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I cheated and started a little early and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this so far. I always thought high fantasy wasn't for me and I was always intimidated by it because I thought I wouldn't understand it. I'm so glad I bit the bullet and joined this group x

Johanna-Nanook (johaenna) | 1 comments I love high fantasy and i new i would like brandon sanderson's book. but what he created in this first 8 chapters really hit me by surprise! The characters are all very likable and fleshed out already. and don't get me started on the world. not a single thing i could criticize so far. already loving this book with all my heart. (and keep recommending it to everybody, even if i haven't finished it...)

message 8: by Llyren (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Llyren I've only read the prologue and the first three chapters so far but I'm already hooked. Or, to be honest I have been since nearly the first page ;-)

I will always prefer to read a fantasy book through the eyes of someone learning about the world while we learn about the world.

I know what you mean. At the moment I'm a bit more interested in Vin than in Kelsier. Although that's possible because of the short glimpses we got from her past and current life make me feel sympathetic. I just can't help feeling for the underdog ;-)

Oh, and I really like these short sentences by the Hero(?) at the beginning of the chapters.

Benjamin Shields | 5 comments I'm currently on chapter 5 and I'm diggin' it.
I really like the juxtaposition of Vin and Kels. Vin is really guarded and reserved while kels is upbeat and optimistic all the time. It's cool to see the opposite ends of the spectrum interact with each other.

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Lisa (jolisa) | 3 comments I am almost through this first part, and I love it!! It reminds me of The Gentleman Bastard world in some ways.. The thing I like MOST about this so far is the Allomancy!! I love this magic system... VERY cool!! I do like Vin and like being in her thought process.. I knew I would love it, but it is even better than I imagined!! #YearofCosmere is going to be wonderful!!

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Lisa (jolisa) | 3 comments I am almost through this first part, and I love it!! It reminds me of The Gentleman Bastard world in some ways.. The thing I like MOST about this so far is the Allomancy!! I love this magic system... VERY cool!! I do like Vin and like being in her thought process.. I knew I would love it, but it is even better than I imagined!! #YearofCosmere is going to be wonderful!!

message 12: by Aaron (last edited Feb 03, 2015 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron Koelker (koelker12) The magic system is my favorite thing so far. But, and I'm definitely nitpicking here, Kelsier has quite the enlightened grasp of physics considering the time period this world is emulating haha. The explanations he gives to Vin felt a little off because of that.

EDIT: By "off", I meant harder to believe.

Lurthemir | 3 comments Finished my reread of this section and this book doesn't disappoint the second time around. There's actually a little excitement in knowing the plot twists simply because of the little nuggets of foreshadowing Sanderson plants in his books that don't come until the end of this book or even until later books.

Laura (blueeyednightowl) | 7 comments This is my first Sanderson, and I'm over two hundred pages in and already totally get the hype. There haven't even been any plot twists yet, and I already love it, so I expect to be absolutely blown away by the end of it, if not sooner...

message 15: by Llyren (last edited Feb 02, 2015 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Llyren
Kelsier has quite the enlightened grasp of physics considering the time period this world is emulating haha. (Aaron)

You think so? I can easily imagine that being necessary knowledge in dealing with the magic system. Especially knowing the limits, possible problems in using the different metals, etc.
Did someone else notice the fact that two characters have a look at their pocket watch? That actually threw me a little bit. How can I imagine that? Portable sun watches? Magic-driven?

The magic system is very interesting, I'll give you that. But at the moment I'm far more interested in the characters. In particular the combination Vin-Kelsier will certainly be an issue in the following chapters. For Vin, being part of such a group will sooner or later have her question her "everyone will betray you"-belief.

James Chatham (jameschatham) | 5 comments The magic system, as everyone says, is very interesting. I love the characters, especially Vin, but I love Kelsier's personality as well. I'm excited to see how the story develops

Shelleen Toland I finished part 1 and love Vin and Kelsier. The magic system is very neat.

Sarai (saraitalksbooks) Just finished part one and I'm in love with all of the characters, specifically Vin and Sazed. I thought the world-building would be overwhelming, but I've been able to keep up with everything and it makes the story that much more enjoyable. I'm really curious about the Lord Ruler, there are so many different descriptions of him. I hope to know more about him in the next section. Really looking forward to Vin's upcoming training and seeing The Plan unfold!

Hyacinth (hyacinthlo) | 7 comments Unpopular opinion time :|
I have to be honest and say I'm not quite enjoying the book as much as I thought I would, but I think I can pin point it to my dislike of Vin. Yep, I said it, I don't like Vin. She just seems so dry and overly serious. I wish she could lighten up and crack a smile once in a while. Now, I understand she's had a tough childhood and has been trained to be cautious of everyone but I feel like personality would still be able to shine through. But I hope that once she gets to know the crew better and learns to trust them better her personality will be revealed a bit more. As of right now, my favorite character is Sazed. I love his knowledge of all the religions. And I also find the magic system to be very interesting. :)

Aaron Koelker (koelker12) Hyacinth wrote: "Unpopular opinion time :|
I have to be honest and say I'm not quite enjoying the book as much as I thought I would, but I think I can pin point it to my dislike of Vin. Yep, I said it, I don't like..."

I agree a bit, but I'm assuming she opens up so I let it go. Vin's last line in Chapter 8 made me cringe though.

"Vin nodded slightly. 'A good man...' she said softly. 'I don't think I've ever known one of those before.'

Not so much Vin perhaps, but I thought that was a facepalm worthy line and scene.

message 21: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam Owels | 2 comments I think the only thing I don't enjoy about the book is the repeated use of the same verbs and adjectives such as "raised an eyebrow"

Tracy Just finished part one. After the prologue, I was excited and just knew I was going to fall into this and love every word. But then...I started losing interest and didn't fall like I had hoped. I absolutely love the magic - very unique. And I love the characters. I'm not sure what it was that threw me off. However, by the end of part one I was back in love with the book. I can't wait to get more of Sazed. I feel he's going to be a fun character to follow.

Tracy Adam wrote: "I think the only thing I don't enjoy about the book is the repeated use of the same verbs and adjectives such as "raised an eyebrow""

Seriously...that IS getting on my nerves. Now that you have pointed it out...it's EVERYWHERE in the book! Now when I see it, I'm like, "Well, of course...everyone has an eyebrow raised...all..the...time." sheesh...

message 24: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul (paul_sff) | 7 comments Hope you don't notice how many times Vin flushes now. =x The last 3 WoT books was all flushes non-stop from Sanderson. But they were amazing so I'll allow it.

Hannah | 11 comments This book is so addictive! I know that Vin may seem a little repetitive but with her upbringing the abusive nature of her childhood the message that she can trust no one is understandable. I thought that the ending of this first part suggests that character development is on it's way and that Kelsier's kind nature (as well as Sazed) will eventually lead her to trust him. The magic system in the book is so interesting and I absolutely loved the fight scene and the first part of Vin's training and I can't wait to learn more about it, especially the 9th and 10th metals.

I can't wait to continue on with reading with book and the rest of the trilogy!

Michelle (novelenthusiast) I am loving the writing style and characters. The magic system and action are impressive. This world gives me so much to wonder about. Having already read both released books from Stormlight Archive, I am seeing some similarities between the two series.

I am enjoying seeing comments from the group members.

message 27: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye (skyepieonthefly) Hyacinth wrote: "Unpopular opinion time :|
I have to be honest and say I'm not quite enjoying the book as much as I thought I would, but I think I can pin point it to my dislike of Vin. Yep, I said it, I don't like..."

I agree. I think the Vin is the reason I am not falling in love with this book. I understand her background and can emphasize with her. But her character is very repetitive and so far is not too deep. I hope that now that she is starting her training she becomes a more well rounded character. Because right now she seems like a "broken orphan" trope.

On the other hand Kel and his crew seem awesome!! I want to know about their back stories and powers. I really like how sneeky defiant Sazed is with the jokes about standing behind Vin. The magic system is awesome, and Brandon Sanderson is doing an awesome job explaining it so far.

Excited to see what comes in the next section!!!

message 28: by sara (new) - rated it 2 stars

sara (brisingrs) First, I really really enjoy the small parts at the beggining of every chapter. I didn't exactly done my research, so I suppose those are passages from the Lord Ruler's point of view? Anyway, they are nice, I like them a lot.
Kelsier is such a great character! You can't help loving him! He's so likeable and amazing, I just want a whole book about his normal, daily routine, just so I can see how he is. I also like the interaction he's had with both his crew and his brother! Also, his crew is made of such interesting characters! I loved their conversations, especially those between Breeze and Ham! They made me laugh and somehow made me hope and now I can only root for them ;;
But yeah, I'm going to agree with some of the people before me and say that I haven't been exactly impressed by Vin. I don't hate her, but I don't particulary like her either. For now, she's just 'meh'. I am looking forward to see some development. I love the male characters up until now and I really hope Vin, as a female character, won't disappoint me.
I am really curious on how things will go from now onwards and I can only hope that Vin's training with Sazed will be enjoyable (I am turning repetitive in the adjectives I'm using, but oh well).
English is not my first language and I love how I have to stop and search for words' meanings from time to time. It does make the book just more entertaining for me.
I like the world and the magic up until now and I can't wait to learn more and more things!

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (listobsessed) | 3 comments Like others, as soon as I read the prologue I knew I was going to love this!

I read the first part yesterday and am loving learning more about this world. The magic system is unlike anything else I have ever read about and I can't wait to find out more about it. Loved Kelsier's fight scene using Allomancy. More of this please!

Really enjoying the characters and the banter between the members of the crew. I'm looking forward to watching Vin's growth!

Having finally started my first Brandon Sanderson book I am even more excited about Year of Cosmere!

HeatherLovesReading | 6 comments I have to admit the first part was a little slow, I am enjoying the book so far but nothing major has happened yet so I'm hoping things pick up a bit soon, which i'm sure they will. As for the characters I like Vin, she's an interesting part of the story. To have the POV from someone who is just as "new" to everything as the reader is makes it easier to follow along with her. Kelsier seems badass and i can't wait to find out more about him. Onto part 2

Jenefer Licet (jeneferlicet) | 2 comments Alright, so far I know I'm going to LOVE this book. This is my first Brandon Sanderson book. I enjoy his writing style and the way he introduces us to this world and characters. I love every character I meet so far. Okay, maybe not Cameron. But, my favorites are definitely Kelsier and Vin. Vin is so strong and ready for anything, she seems unafraid of death but accepts it. I see how skilled she is at reading people, and how to try to go unnoticed and be invisible. Kelsier is always smiling and good humored. I love it so far. I'm wondering what else will happen and how will it end. My question is. . . Who and what is the Lord Ruler?

Crystal (infiniteink) I just finished part one, and I am really enjoying it. This is my first Sanderson book, and I find his style easy and captivating. I can't wait to see how Vin develops and find out more about Kelsier.

I am really impressed by how Sanderson has built this world and managed to fit so much information about it into eight chapters without me feeling like everything was constantly being told to me.

Dagim Feyessa | 2 comments I am rereading this for the 3 time, and ooh, how i have missed vin. The magic system is in my opinion one of the best that sanderson has come up with. And the action is so cool(partly because of the magic system), cant wait to progress mor and see vin doing cool stuff.

message 34: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Willis (fightingokra) | 2 comments This is my first time reading Sanderson and while I have enjoyed the first part I did find learning the magic system to be a little dry. That is not to say the magic system is bad, because it is fantastic, but spelling out every detail is not my most favorite stuff to read. I can't wait to see the magic system in use as they take action on the Empire.

I agree with some of the criticism of Vin, but I will give her negativity a pass because so many people are in love with her character that she has to turn the corner for me soon. Hopefully she will be less distrusting as we move into the second part.

message 35: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan (jderm) I blew through part 1 in a day and while I liked it overall for the most part, particularly in how fast and how exciting it read, I can definitely see the criticisms that people have, especially with the dialogue seeming SUPER unnatural at times and the action scenes, while exciting, being like

"Kell did this, then he did this. The inquisitor did this. then kell did this" etc.

it makes for an exciting and evocative read but also a kind of redundant one after a point. All said though, I am really looking forward to part 2!

Elizabeth (letmereadinpeace) This is my first time reading Sanderson and due to all the hype surrounding this series, I was a little cautious but so far, the hype is totally justified.

I just finished Part One and I'm itching to read more. The characters are phenomenal, Kelsier being my favourite at the moment. The magic system is like nothing I've ever read before and I really enjoy that we learn about it as we move through the story. The setting is so beleivable and I seem to be able to picture it so well in my head.

Sanderson's writing style is not just incredibly easy to read but also a whole lot of fun. I honestly can't read quick enough. I just wanna soak it up.

It's been quite fast paced so far and I hope it stays as exciting. I'm thrilled to see what happens next especially with regards to Vin's noblewoman training featuring Sazed.

Really impressed with the book so far and I'm extremely glad I decided to jump on the Brandon Sanderson bandwagon with this yearlong readathon.

Llyren Sara wrote: First, I really really enjoy the small parts at the beggining of every chapter. I didn't exactly done my research, so I suppose those are passages from the Lord Ruler's point of view? Anyway, they are nice, I like them a lot.

Yes, those are really great. I'm not sure yet but by now I also tend to think it's either the last hero who failed or the Lord Ruler. Or maybe is it the same person??

Aaron Koelker (koelker12) Llyren wrote: "Or maybe is it the same person?? "

That's what I suspect, too. I think he failed to stop this "Deepness" they keep mentioning, and forms the Final Empire as a last defense against it, whenever it decides to show up.

Sophie | 54 comments The paragraphs at the start of each chapter are the only confusing thing so far. I haven't a clue what that's about.

Everyone talks about how clever Sanderson's books are so I was slightly worried I would get lost but the writing style is easy to read and very enjoyable. Having a character who is 'new' to the world (Vin in this case) is a definite help. So far I love the characters, the world, the plot, all's good!

message 40: by Douglas (last edited Feb 12, 2015 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Douglas (doug_the_hug) | 7 comments Sophie wrote: "Everyone talks about how clever Sanderson's books are so I was slightly worried I would get lost but the writing style is easy to read and very enjoyable. "

Yeah, Sanderson consciously does a number of things to make the "learning curve" for his books quite shallow. His Stormlight Archive books are much more complex, but even they are easy to read because of the techniques he employs.

For more info, try searching "Brandon Sanderson 321" on YouTube, and you can watch his excellent lectures!

Kellseigh | 7 comments Whew, I'm glad others seem to feel a little annoyed with Vin, too. I appreciate her bravery and am interested to learn more about her brother, but the constant focus on Vin's inability to trust gets a bit frustrating.

For the most part I am enjoying the writing style and explanation of the magic system but, as others have mentioned, there are definitely some awkward lines.

The characters are really what's keeping me hooked - I love Ham and Breeze's dynamic, and Kelsier's sense of humour is great. Looking forward to seeing how this develops!

message 42: by Sophie (last edited Feb 13, 2015 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 54 comments Douglas wrote: "For more info, try searching "Brandon Sanderson 321" on YouTube, and you can watch his excellent lectures! "

Thanks for that Douglas! I started watching one last night and found it very interesting and highly informative.

message 43: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Butler | 2 comments I am very excited to be reading this book for the second time, it's great going through it again because you see things you didn't see the first read through. You can see how Brandon set the pieces in place for things that will be happening further along. He has a great well thought out plan that he executes with precision. That's the major benefit to having an "architect" writing style. But Brandon discovery writes his characters sometimes changing the outline to adjust for character developments that he never accounted for. For example if he has his character doing something in the outline, but when he goes to write the scene it doesn't feel right for that character he allows for the character to overrule the outline and then go through and changes the outline to adjust for the change he made to the character's behavior.

Samantha (samritch) | 2 comments Without social media platforms and booktube, I wouldn't be apart of this exciting project and I definitely wouldn't be attempting my first "high-fantasy" novel, so I'd just like to thank everyone involved at creating "Year of Cosmere!"

As for my thoughts on the first section of this book... I have mixed feelings. Optimistic, but mixed. I like how creative and immersive this world is. This is one of the most unique books I've ever read. What I'm struggling with is the writing style. I'm finding the dialogue a little clunky and the characters a little one dimensional. I'm definitely seeing some clear-cut tropes: our hardened, but gifted heroine, the charismatic leader with an ambiguous past, the jolly sidekicks. However, I can't say that this book isn't a page-turner and that magic system isn't frickin awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plot plays out and if they will be successful at pulling off this grand scheme. And I'm looking forward to Vin developing an actual personality :)

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy C (amy_c_books) | 9 comments I have to be honest that the only reason I kept plugging along in the beginning was because of this group. I found the development and the building of the world slow and rather confusing. I found myself so thankful for knowing what a Mistborn was before starting. However, once I got out of the first section I am HOOKED

message 46: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga (olga_) I was a little afraid to pick up this book for all the hype surrounding this trilogy and well I have great expectations for this novel. I'm glad I decided to join this group, though I have to say although it was still interesting at the beginning I found it a bit boring and confusing at times, but after the first few chapters the story and the characters are just amazing, I think I can't read this fast enough I'm so excited to know what will happen next, I really like Vin, but Kelsier is my favorite. I want to know all about his past and his true intentions, he is just great and has this air of mystery and, as Vin said, when he's in the room you can't help but notice him and pay to what he's going to say. I'm loving this so far and I'm sure it'll get better and better.

Katie I think Allomancy is so cool! I love how Sanderson describes it, and different aspects are revealed as the chapters progress, and as Vin learns new skills.

I do think the book started out a bit slow, but I just chugged along, and now I just can't even... it's SO GOOD. I'm starting to get pretty nervous though...

The Inquisitors sound TERRIFYING!

Warda (wsharif) This is a reread for me and loving it just as much. This trilogy is just.. Best thing ever! I can now pay more attention to details now. :)

Douglas (doug_the_hug) | 7 comments @Jessi - in the back of my UK edition there is an Ars Arcanum. This is a table of the allomantic metals, their effects, and what you call a Misting who can burn that metal.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I am loving this book so far! I have a crush on Kelsier :) I'm really hoping Vin gets really strong in her powers! I think Kelsier will help her a lot.

Those dudes with the spikes in the eyes!! Holy crow! That is just gross and too messed up to imagine! I can't imagine how they even get around. I do wish all of his books would be put into graphic novels so we can see everyone.

« previous 1