The Book Vipers discussion

Virginia Woolf
This topic is about Virginia Woolf
2015 Personal Reading Goals > Cathy's 2015 reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Until now, my goal for 2015 had been just to keep reading my way through my backlog. But then, reading Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home for the Dusty Shelf challenge, I remembered how much I like the Virginia Woolf novels I've read, and how I've always intended to read more. In fact I've got two already on my Full Deck list (The Voyage Out, published in 1915, and To the Lighthouse), and I could probably fit in a couple more into other squares. So I've decided to try and read or re-read all of Woolf's novels this year, plus A Writer's Diary which was compiled by Leonard Woolf after Virginia's death. And if I get through that lot, then there are short stories and essays too.

I've long been interested in Bloomsbury and have read quite a few books about people connected with the group. The Bloomsbury Cookbook: Recipes for Life, Love and Art which is full of food-related anecdotes and pictures has been sitting by my bed for ages, so that's on the list as well. I'm looking forward to my Bloomsbury year!

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Thanks Derek, that's a great idea.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Love Virginia Woolf too

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments I've finished my first book for this challenge, The Voyage Out. Interesting to read it as her first completed novel, and in the context of her life too (I'm also dipping into a couple of Bloomsbury related books at the same time). I didn't find this one as engaging as some of her later novels, but still enjoyable.

Review here https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit...