Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive - POTS > POTS Session 1 - Team 3

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Jan 25, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Karen - 2 books POTS
Susan - 3 books POTs 2015
Charity - 1 book pots 2015
Candiss - 2 books 2015 tbr
Kaitlin - 2 books to read

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Ok I give up, I've tried posting the links to our shelves but when you click on them you just get the recent updates page. The links that are on the POTS sign up page do work.

message 5: by Susan (last edited Jan 25, 2015 01:02PM) (new)

Susan | 3439 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "Ok I give up, I've tried posting the links to our shelves but when you click on them you just get the recent updates page."

Karen - 2 books https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Charity - 1 book https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Candiss - 2 books https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Kaitlin - 2 books https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Susan 3 books https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 6: by Susan (new)

Oo, I love browsing other people's shelves of books to read! And you all have so many books I love on your shelves. I didn't have to pick a single one that I haven't read and given 4 or 5 stars.

Karen
Ender's Game
The Graveyard Book
The Likeness

Charity
Ender's Game
Clockwork Angel

Candiss
Wild Seed
The Left Hand of Darkness
The Blind Assassin

Kaitlin
Red Mars
Wool
The Kite Runner

It feels weird picking the same book for two of you. But it's a great book!

message 8: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin | 39 comments Looks like I'm a bit late to the game... sorry about that. I'm glad that I signed up for this... it looks like it'll be a cool experience, plus I get to see books on your shelves that I hadn't know about! With many of these I'm picking on what seems interesting. Most of you have books I've never read haha.... Here are my picks for everyone...

Karen:
Bossypants
A Farewell to Arms
The Thin Red Line

Susan:
The Forever War
The Casual Vacancy
Dead Lines: A Novel of Life . . . After Death
Darwin's Blade

Charity:
It
State of Fear

Candiss:
1Q84
How to be both
Broken Monsters

message 9: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments Do we have to say what we're going to read? I think I'm going to try for Eleanor & Park because I have it out already.
I might follow it up with Ender's Game if I have time. I also have it out right now. If I can finish two books this round I think that's what I'll aim for next round.

Happy Reading!

message 10: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin | 39 comments Yeah wasn't sure if we all wanted to chat on here or what not... I'm down for anything :) I really appreciated all the recommendations, there were some that I had put on my shelf a while ago and wouldn't have picked for myself. Sadly, the ones that I decided to read were dictated by what my used book store had. For this month I'll be reading Fahrenheit 451 and The Haunting of Hill House. I also picked up The Joy Luck Club in case I finish early. Hope you all enjoy the books that you picked for this month!

message 11: by Susan (new)

I'm going to decide what to read one book at a time. I started off with The Shadow Speaker, and I was a bit disappointed. I liked the author's Who Fears Death much better.

I'm almost done with The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag, but I started listening to it last month and forgot to take it off this list. So I won't count it as one of my 3. I really enjoy that series, with an 11-year old protagonist who's interested in murder and especially poisons, and is quite knowledgeable about chemistry.

I think I'll go for The Ask and the Answer next.

And yes, this is a fine place to chat about what we've chosen and what we thought about it. The last time we did this game, that was part of what made it a rich experience for me.

message 12: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I have to finish my current read first, as it's due at the library, but I'm thinking of starting with The Sign of Four, as I'm in the mood for both a mystery and a classic.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Finished The Graveyard Book, 4*. I love Neil Gaiman, so much so that as well as reading the book I read the graphic novel and I don't like graphic novels but this one was well done.

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments Finished Eleanor & Park. I mostly enjoyed this book...the ending is very open, but I think in a good way...not frustrating like some books.

Do I need put this anywhere else??? I forget.

message 15: by Susan (new)

So glad you posted this, Charity. I totally forgot about posting when I finished The Ask and the Answer. It was ok, but didn't like it nearly as much as the first book in the series. I may not bother to continue with the third book.

I think I'll go for Saving Francesca for my next one.

And no, it doesn't look to me like Lyn has created any place else for us to post our completions. Just here, among our team I guess.

message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I finished The Sign of Four, which although it is short took me a surprisingly long while to finish, as I kept getting distracted by other reads. I enjoyed it very much, although I don't think I liked it quite as much as a couple of the previous Holmes titles I've read. This was a solid, engaging read, and I found the budding romance between Watson and Mary both heart-warming and surprisingly realistic, especially for a formalized Victorian atmosphere. Doyle was also, while not quite feminist, certainly complimentary and recognizing of the existence of feminine strength and fortitude in this book, which surprised me.

message 17: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I'll be a few days late finishing my second book, Wild Seed. We've had company, who brought flu, and my family and I are still recovering. I'll post as soon as I can. :)

message 18: by Susan (new)

I did finish Saving Francesca, and liked it, but haven't written my review yet. I got sick while on vac with my kids, and have been taking everything slow.