What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > humorous sci fi book with a quirky space captain where everyone is turning into "glass"

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ran (new)

Ran Jan | 1 comments Here are the details I remember:

* The book might be part of a series of books that follow this quirky space captain.

* It takes place in universe where people are in contact with many types aliens

* The story begins with an entire "council" of thin bird like aliens turning into glass, this has something to do with some "virus" or "disease" related to entropy some how, and the fact that the silica they turn into is the lowest entropy state.

* The story follows an alien that can shoot spines out of his back at some point. There is some romantic relationships between him and a human woman. She dies by turning into glass and he gets arrested, sent to some prison ship and mutilated so that he can't shoot spines anymore.

* All the while, the space captain is going on quirky adventurous trying to solve the whole mystery about why people are turning into glass. Also, at some point he visits a "graveyard" ship full of dead aliens, which is being overseen by another alien that gives him a tour around.

* I don't remember how it was resolved. I think it was found out that it was some sort of post-physical or extra-dimensional being that was doing it.

* Lastly, the book was most likely published between 1999-2010.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Bump.

message 3: by Dmitry (last edited Jan 06, 2017 01:48PM) (new)

Dmitry | 12 comments Could the book have been a translation by chance?
your description made me think of two characters from the polish sci-fi writer Stanislaw Lem: Ijon Tichiy from "The Star Diaries" or Pirx the Pilot from "Tales of Pirx the Pilot"

I'm not recognizing your specific story, but I haven't read the entire collection of stories either.
The author passed away in 2006, so there may have been a resurgence of his books in around that time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Ran, are you still looking for this or did you find it?