Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class TTH discussion

30 views
What is Literature > Introduction to Literature

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
What is Literature? In 200 words define literature. When developing your response, think about the purpose, the usefulness, and the importance of literature in our lives.


message 2: by Frank Corral (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:41PM) (new)

Frank Corral | 19 comments I understand that Literature can be a book, an article, or a written out work. The difference between "Literature" and literally anything that's has ever been written is that literature is usually published, or perhaps well know, and is usually produced by an expert or a talent in a field or genre. The purpose of literature is to educate the reader. That being said literature can be life changing, however the issue is that this can be extremely good or extremely bad. For example "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair deals with the unhygienic and unsafe working environment of the meat packing industry in 1906, thanks to his book a big change was made for these workers and thankfully changed the standard of the industry we live with today, however something hateful like "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler which is about the Jewish plans to take over the world is dangerous because someone persuaded by his writings will agree with his views will now see it fit to eradicate a group of people for no real reason. Literature is extremely important in everyday life, every human walking around today is affected by someones writings. Most people would agree that they believe in a GOD, they follow the teaching of their "holy book". The people of the Christian faith, the Islamic faith, and Jewish faith all include the "Old and New Testament" they may have different names and translations for it but they all agree to read them and perceive them as they wish. This has caused great wars but has also created new countries. Literature can also be used to record our history and our stories.


message 3: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Literature is written work by people that want to express who they feel or tell a story. It can be fiction or non-fiction, poetry, true events that happened to them, or just ideas that they have in their head that they want to share. Most literature is very expressive and it can mean different things to different people. People have many ways of expressing themselves so literature is a great for them to express it. For example literature from many years ago helps us understand what they were thinking or living through. If it weren’t for the literature we would never know these things. Some people don’t know how to express themselves so they write their thoughts on paper either by poetry, drama, or even stories. It is good for us so we can know what is going on with them or try to understand what they were thinking. Some literature is very old and hard to understand it, but if we play close attention to it and discuss it we can get a good idea of what they are talking about. Literature can also come as a play. It has to be written first and it comes from ideas that tell a story. So there are many types of literature and not all of them are for everyone, you just have to find the one that is right for you.


message 4: by Ricardo (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:48PM) (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Literature are written words that can come in many forms like poems, novels, plays or even short stories. Literature can be read for enjoyment, entertainment, or even to bring further understanding about the world around us. Literature helps us see the world In different ways then we would on our own. It can help you see the world in the eyes of different characters in a novel or understand heartache in a new way from a poem. It's important in historical and emotional ways. It can be a time capsule into the past. It Records how people thought and felt centuries ago. A glimpse into past cultures and civilizations. Emotionally literature is important in that brings peace into our lives. There is a form of emotional response that comes from literature that brings a calmness, peace and fulfillment.


message 5: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments I know that the definition for literature is going to be different for everyone, but for me literature is when you read books. Literature is helpful because when you read books it helps you develop your reading skills and also you get to use your mind to imagine what you are reading. The importance of literature in our life is really important because without literature there wouldn’t be books to read and without books there wouldn’t be a library, so the role that literature plays is important because it helps us in different ways depending what you are reading. Literature is useful in our life because it can help you learn new things just by opening a book and reading it that is the difference in learning. By looking around anywhere you are many people might not notice it at first but after a while you can notice that we are surrounded by literature. Literature plays a huge part in our life because every single day we read something different either from a billboard from the highway or from Facebook. I believe that the purpose of literature is to help us become more intellectual by providing us books to read.


message 6: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Lillian wrote: "What is Literature? In 200 words define literature. When developing your response, think about the purpose, the usefulness, and the importance of literature in our lives."


Literature is a form of readings that explains and introduces to us the readers something different and new. There's different type of literature but each one of them have a different meaning into our lives. Literature is important because you can learn so many new information about anything. When I hear or read the word literature I always think about medieval era age for some odd reason. I think everything would be about the medieval age or decade, but of course it isn't. I believe it's important and useful in many ways especially when you take history class literature helps you learn and understand a whole lot more because some of the readings happen during that time. Literature is a more specific reading that gives you every detail in the story and you can start using your imagination and understand it better. We can compare literature into our lives and how different it is from back then and now in the twenty century. It's so different and how technology and everything has changed.


message 7: by Risa (new)

Risa N Literature is a source of expression in the form of writings, such as: poems, novels, plays, etc. Whether the writings are from many years ago or present day, human beings have used literature to express events and feelings. Actually having all their expressions in writing makes it possible to stay real, in other words, although it may not always be fictional, it is not so much of he say/she say. Literature is extremely useful for society; it is not only used as a source of history but as a source of leisure as well. Think of it from this perspective, how easy is it to get lost in a good novel? Letting your mind wonder into a whole other world can be exceptionally relaxing! Forms of literature have matured dramatically from the times when literature was once best expressed the through plays and poems; luckily we now have the technologically to get right on our handheld devices, such as: phones and kindles to read a novel directly from there. Although writers engage in the many types of literature for multiple different reasons of expression, literature remains the same; it is an author’s expressions in the form of a written material.


message 8: by Yuri (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:25PM) (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Literature is a collection of writings, a way of communication and entertainment in sharing and exploring ideas, lifestyles that could take you on imaginary or real places. It can be represented in different forms either from a novel to a poem, short story, a play or an opera. It can educate and give you the chance to view the different points of view and thoughts of writers in our present to past. It can be used as of a type of healing.There are many scenarios of writing and depending in the mood we are it can help us feel better, or feel pain, love, sadness, happiness, or fear. Some use literature to express themselves and unleash feelings they are not able to talk about and prefer to put it in writing. Others want to know about our past and use literature as a learning lesson in life. It can help understand society and to better understand the world around us. We live in a world of different cultures and traditions and literature helps us better understand the differential kinds of people and their beliefs. Not everyone thinks the same in literature and that’s the beauty of it everyone shares their different thoughts, opinions, and critiques.


message 9: by Jessica (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:53PM) (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Literature is a way we express our thoughts, concerns, and ideas of something. For instance, when we read a book we don't just read it, we examine the book and change once point of view of the book. Someone can have a different idea or concept than others. On the other hand, literature is a way to escape from your own reality and read from someones else reality. I recall reading "Cranked" by Ellen Hopkins I was so into the book that one day I was literally flipping the channels from the TV looking for the TV show I was obsessing about, later to find out it was the book. Also, literature can help you be someone else for a little while and explore the past. Which there are many books that will teach us about our history and what it was like at the time and place the literacy was written in. We learn how the people lived and what happened to them. Finally, literature can be very healing and spiritual. We can have a tough, sad even happy day and many books can help us throughout our daily life and guide us through life. For instance the book "Small Miracles" by Yitta Halberstam Mandelbaum and Judith Leventhal was very inspirational and helping to never give up on life and to believe in faith or coincidence.


message 10: by Alexa (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:07AM) (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Literature is the documentation of works and ideas that began along with the creation of the written language. There are several types of literature that can be broken down into different genres, for example: fiction, non-fiction, informative, religious works, and literature written for pure entertainment. Literature was extremely beneficial to document and preserve history. It was also used to spread ideas and information long ago, a big example being the newspaper, which is still sent out today. Most countries can look back on their old works of literature and get an idea of what the times were like during the time period. It could be described as the first source of advanced entertainment at the time and now it is considered the oldest and most primitive. The content in literature has changed drastically due to the development of society, its changing morals, and fast paced life. A famous novel that use to stretch on for prose after prose has turned into a quick read filled with attention grabbers, some sort of vampire, and an entire movie empire with the most popular actors at the time. Literature has become a rare practice but I believe is still the best outlet for a creative imagination and keeping ones brain functioning at its full potential.


message 11: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments I believe literature is history and emotions combined together. Literature can make you feel anger, and at the same time teach you about the past. An example of literature is be the Bible. The Bible is full of faith and at the same time it feeds our brain with short stories of what "happened" before and after Jesus. As what I know, the Bible is one of the things that started religion which makes it important in todays society. Weather we believe in it or not, it gives us information on the beliefs and way of living of the people. Literature is important because it teaches us new words, they way people would think, or simply how different or similar things were back then. It's not only to inform, but also to entertain. Like I said it can make you feel emotions weather is anger, happiness, or love. Emotions and history together can lead to entertainment. Once we read something and we like it and we want more of it, which makes us learn of life and history of the past and not only entertain ourselves.


message 12: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments I would like to understand literature as a way to preserve, enlighten, and express an idea, theory, or a fact using literary tools such as poems, novels, biographies, bibliographies, etc. Literature has influenced various people and will continue too because literature is created to be reflected upon and since everyone thinks differently in most occasions, they will produce opinions as unique as oneself. Literature in different instances helps to unite ideas as well as divide ideas based on the understanding, opinion, and perspective. In my opinion literature is an art form used to express various opinions that helps to open minds and helps to understand and analyze.


message 13: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Literature is the act of putting thoughts and feelings into words in a way that appeals to an audience. It is successfully conveying what the average person thinks and feels. Literature is any work that its reader, viewer, or listener finds relatable. In any form, literature allows us to see different viewpoints and perspectives. Any time we read a book, watch a movie, or listen to a song we are presented a variety of characters and the complexity of their thoughts and emotions. Many times we see ourselves in those characters and learn more about ourselves. The purpose of literature is to open our minds and help us better understand human characteristics and behaviors.


message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric Campos | 19 comments When I hear the word literature I think back to a time long ago. I think of poets such as Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe. I also think of a language that I could not comprehend. Though some of this is in relation to literature, it is just a small fragment of a bigger picture. It can serve for many purposes, it can be entertainment, it can explain a historical event, and it can express deep emotion from one person or several people's point of view.


message 15: by Janetrendon (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:38PM) (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Literature is a form of expression, art, imagination created from within the mind. Literature can be expressed in such a unique way of life or life as it once was. Sometimes literature can be something we do not care about or something that we may not even be interested in, but the way it is presented, or how the way it is expressed. A literally text is a text that, intensifies, deepens or challenges your understanding. Probably the things that make our lives both complicated and worth living--freedom, truth, beauty, love, loyalty, despair, hope, hopelessness, etc.. Contemplative people across places and throughout time have concerned themselves with these ideas and have represented and explored them through literature. It is the reception, rather than the writing, which is the object of enquiry. Largely, what we call “literature” is often a subjective value judgment, and naturally, value judgments, like literary tastes, will change.


message 16: by Eric (last edited Jan 23, 2015 07:47AM) (new)

Eric | 75 comments Literature, in its simplest definition, is the expression of thoughts into a written form. The ability to express oneself is a vital thread in the fabric of what makes us human. Literature can be created for many different purposes and to elicit various responses. A fictional story, meant to entertain, can be written as a comedy, tragedy, romance, and sometimes all. Literature can be used to express political views and satirical takes on them. Literature can be used to inform. Examples of this are biography and history books. The most sold book in the history of the world is the Bible. This is a perfect example of how influential and powerful literature can be in shaping the course of history, and how it can continue to shape minds. Literature can help to define certain eras in our history, such as the renaissance era. Through the use of literature written in a particular region, and in a particular time period, one can ascertain aspects of a culture, its values and ideas. The reason literature is important is because it helps to serve as a mirror. Through literature, we can better help to understand ourselves and others by learning about people, concepts and ideas we otherwise would not have exposure to.


message 17: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Literature is a form of writing different from other writing because it has more of poetry, philosophy, and drama just likes Shakespeare literature writings. In literature you will also find a lot of symbolism, and comparison stuff you can compare to your everyday life. Is a chance where authors have a chance to transitions their idea they want to say through a short story, or a novel just to get their idea across. Literature is also a way for authors who want to express a certain idea, a certain philosophy, which has to do to our everyday lives. For example, the boy who cried wolf was a short story about a little shepherd boy who would lie about the wolf coming into the village and the first few time he did it all the village believed him but after a few times and when it actually did come true the village didn’t put attention to him any more thought he was lying just like the past times. The moral of the story was to not lie and I believe that in literature writing you will find a lot philosophy writing just like this one which would give an importance to your everyday lives and remind you of what is right from wrong according to the author.


message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Cavazos | 13 comments Literature is all types of writing which mostly represents culture and tradition. The purpose of taking a literature course is to help us better understand different points of views of stories. It helps us closely relate to authors and see how differently other people view different stories. Everyone relates to a story in a different way or will read the story and have an opinion on it but once they hear someone else's opinion on it, they can possibly change their mind. It's important because it's a way of expanding our minds to see things in different ways and not stay so close minded. Literature can help us understand things from the past and understand how differently times were from then to now and see how much things have changed. Some people read literature as a way of guidance and look for answers to questions they may have at the time.


message 19: by Jaime (last edited Jan 23, 2015 05:36PM) (new)

Jaime Gonzalez | 25 comments Literature means different things to different people. To me, it is a term used to describe written or spoken material of a certain culture, time, and place. It is the works of creative imaginations such as poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and drama. Literature feeds our minds with knowledge and can be either entertaining or informing. The more we read the more smarter we become. Literature represents culture and tradition. It introduces us to new words and experiences. When I think about "literature," I think about books/novels that are beautifully crafted and the language is used precisely and exceptionally well. Books in almost any genre can be literature, I think, if the writing is fine enough. Literature is useful because it helps us develop different points of views. It gives us the chance to read someone else's thoughts, to expand our understanding, to learn about a new topic or subject, etc. Literature is what we read centuries after the author is dead.


message 20: by Miguel (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:06PM) (new)

Miguel | 42 comments Literature is any type of written material. It can be used to inform, persuade, or entertain. Literature also has its own group of categories by genre like movies and music. For example, horror, fantasy, poetry etc. Literature has 6 major types of genres such as drama, comedy, romance, tragicomedy, satire, and tragedy. Literature is like a language or a person it communicates to the reader and shares its experiences with the content. Imagination, creativity, and experiences are obtained from literature that can help us grow as individuals and experiences with books. Literature can also be used to express yourself. So any type of material you write is consider literature and you would be the author. You can express your emotions, experiences, or thoughts. They can be positive or negative there are no rules but there must be a purpose for everything you write. Literature is not limited, its universal, and it has always been part of our human history. Literature has influenced the world in many ways such as rebellions, revolutions, and war. It has affected the world positively and negatively. It has helped the world and humans evolve and progress.


message 21: by Christa (last edited Jan 22, 2015 11:48PM) (new)

Christa Lopez | 24 comments Literature is a way for people to create a lasting record of their ideas, lives, emotions, and experiences through written words. Throughout history many civilizations have used writing as a way to preserve their culture for future generations. By knowing the history of what came before us we learn from our ancestor's mistakes or achievements and as a result continue to grow as a society. In addition to being a valuable historical resource, different genres of literature can also be forms of entertainment. Literature is universal; romance, fiction, comedies, poetry, horror, and dramatic plays are some examples of how literature can appeal to many different audiences. If you want to have a laugh, learn about something, relax, or are looking for a sense of direction then there most defiantly is a form of literature just waiting for you to discover it. Through the author's writing we can be transported into a different world within our mind; one that the author's story created for us. As we read we can imagine what it was like living in another time period, and are able to personally connect with the emotions that a character projects through the not so black and white pages of a book. Literature is something that has the power to make an impact on our lives, and no matter how small that impact may be it can grow into something more.


message 22: by Risa (new)

Risa N Yuri wrote: "Literature is a collection of writings, a way of communication and entertainment in sharing and exploring ideas, lifestyles that could take you on imaginary or real places. It can be represented in..."

I don't know why you were so worried in class about your response; it's truly a great answer! In fact, I was looking forward to logging on Good Reads just to read your post and when I did, I noticed our thoughts are extremely similar. I too agree literature is a way to create a lasting record. Many historical facts we know today are because of written material left many years ago. In fact, I think you will agree that literature has become an important aspect in history.
Therefore, authors today are contributing to our history for the future!


message 23: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Eric wrote: "When I hear the word literature I think back to a time long ago. I think of poets such as Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe. I also think of a language that I could not comprehend. Though some of this..."

I used to believe this also, that literature was something that I would not understand, but not all literature is old. Their are also many pieces or books of literature that is understandable and can be entertaining. Not all literature has to be about the past.


message 24: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Janetrendon wrote: "Literature is a form of expression, art, imagination created from within the mind. Literature can be expressed in such a unique way of life or life as it once was. Sometimes literature can be somet..."

I totally agree with you, that literature is a form of expression. Before it was to explain the past or to inform us, but now there is much more literature. Some of it is very good and easy to understand.


message 25: by Risa (new)

Risa N Patricia wrote: "Literature is all types of writing which mostly represents culture and tradition. The purpose of taking a literature course is to help us better understand different points of views of stories. It ..."

Hello Patricia! I certainly agree that literature can assist in changing our perspective because it allows us to get a better outlook on an event or time period. I do want to remind you that literature does not have to be informative but can infact be a non- fiction story as well, therefore literature does not mostly have to be based around culture and traditions.


message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments What is literature? Literature to me is an expression of emotions, history and events that take place. Literature relates to people with things that are written in books that people have been through, whether good or bad, losing someone close or meeting someone new. Events that happen in someone’s life and when they read a certain book that person can relate to it. Literature can be comedy, fiction, nonfiction, drama and poetry. Literature contains many different topics that anyone can enjoy reading. In literature there is always something new to read and learn. It keeps people informed of things that have happened in past times when we were not around to see and keep people informed with things that are happening in present time. It gives ideas of what the future might be according to what the writer believes it will be. Just depending on the person who is reading and what their preference is. Literature helps broaden people’s way of thinking and to see someone’s different point of view.


message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Risa wrote: "Literature is a source of expression in the form of writings, such as: poems, novels, plays, etc. Whether the writings are from many years ago or present day, human beings have used literature to e..."
Hello Risa you have an excellent explanation of what literature is. You mentioned a good point about it you can get lost in a good novel that lets your imagination go wild, whether if you were reading a horror or love story


message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Jessica wrote: "Literature is a way we express our thoughts, concerns, and ideas of something. For instance, when we read a book we don't just read it, we examine the book and change once point of view of the book..."
Hi Jessica I enjoyed reading your meaning of literature you mentioned about books for inspiration and healing . People can relate to many issues that they are going through or have experienced in the past by reading a good book and have some type of consolation that someone else has experienced what they are going through.


message 29: by Erick (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:06PM) (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments What is literature? Literature is a way to express ourselves; it is a way of sharing your thoughts and experiences to the world. Many people write books to share their experiences thought their lives. They write about historical or catastrophic events that completely change their lives, such as war. Reading about a war may help you to understand how people struggle to survive during difficult times. Thought Reading you can create a fictional atmosphere and transport yourself to the scene of the event. It makes you feel the same way all these people felt during such a catastrophic situation. Literature can also be a form to scape forms our everyday problems. Today all you see is people getting all stress out because of the way our society lives. Reading takes you out in some way from all that stress. It transports you to better place. Maybe reading a book about natural surroundings may help you feel better and relaxed. Literature can also show you new tricks! Regarding if you are a student or not you can learn something new from a book, learning a new language for instance. Literature is a book itself full of thoughts, feeling and ideas. A window in which you can see life from other prospective.


message 30: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Literature to me represents a language, culture and tradition as well as history. In my opinion, it is creative writing and thinking where you are able to express your feelings and thoughts towards what you are reading and also develop ideas from poems, stories, novels and books. You are able to interpret the author’s message and share your ideas and input your personal experience. We are just affected in so many ways that we can almost always relate to the content. I believe the importance of literature is having the ability to develop and widen your imagination and perspective of the context. It becomes useful because when you read, you increase your knowledge and memory. Also, you will learn new words each time. You will often find new vocabulary in the context and it is a good thing to notice them and keep them in mind. Another thing that I find useful about literature is that it helps you with your memory. Many people that start reading more, will find that they will begin to remember more things and learn a lot more as well. It is just something to enjoy on your own time or when you have nothing else to do and it will keep you entertained and knowledgeable.


message 31: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Janetrendon wrote: "Literature is a form of expression, art, imagination created from within the mind. Literature can be expressed in such a unique way of life or life as it once was. Sometimes literature can be somet..."



I agree with you Janet Rendon! To the fact that literature is imagination and that it comes within the mind. Also, that it challenges your understanding. You can learn a lot from reading!


message 32: by Miguel (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:27PM) (new)

Miguel | 42 comments Patricia wrote: "Literature is all types of writing which mostly represents culture and tradition. The purpose of taking a literature course is to help us better understand different points of views of stories. It ..."

" Literature can help us understand things from the past", I agree with this part of your post because literature is everything that is written material. So history books from a history class, a bible, ancient scripts, a diary are considered literature. All of them may help us understand the past of a single person to the past of millions of people that lived years ago before Christ.


message 33: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Jaime wrote: "Literature is a term used to describe written or spoken material. It is the works of authors creative imaginations such as poetry, fiction, non-fiction, and drama. Literature introduces us to new w..."

You are so right Jaime, literature is very much spoken as well as written. Authors express their ideas and thoughts in many ways. And yes, we do learn new words!


message 34: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments Frank Corral wrote: "I understand that Literature can be a book, an article, or a written out work. The difference between "Literature" and literally anything that's has ever been written is that literature is usually ..."

I am glad that I read your post. I was considering literature as anything that is written and it didn't had to be published and well known. For example, I thought that even a diary could be considered part of literature. Probably you're right since I don't have enough information of what Literature means, but it makes sense that only written material that is published and well known is considered literature.


message 35: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Ricardo wrote: "Literature are written words that can come in many forms like poems, novels, plays or even short stories. Literature can be read for enjoyment, entertainment, or even to bring further understanding..."
I understand where your coming from.


message 36: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Miguel wrote: "Literature is any type of written material. It can be used to inform, persuade, or entertain. Literature also has its own group of categories by genre like movies and music. For example, horror, fa..."
I understand and agree with your perspective.


message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Maria wrote: "What is literature? Literature to me is an expression of emotions, history and events that take place. Literature relates to people with things that are written in books that people have been throu..."

I agree with you Maria. Literature gives us a better understanding of what life was like in the past. It helps us acknowledge the people from our history, our ancestors.


message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Jaqueline wrote: "Literature is the act of putting thoughts and feelings into words in a way that appeals to an audience. It is successfully conveying what the average person thinks and feels. Literature is any work..."

Jaqueline, I like how you think of the viewers perspective and how ones thoughts are important. Also, how we see each other in other peoples books and learn about ourselves. Great interpretation of the meaning of literature.



message 39: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "Literature is a form of writing different from other writing because it has more of poetry, philosophy, and drama just likes Shakespeare literature writings. In literature you will also find a lot ..."

Hey Arlette,
You're right literature it's a different form of writing that includes poetry, drama and philosophy. Like you gave an example of the boy who cried a wolf, it shows us and makes us understand that we shouldn't lie at all because no one will ever believes us again. Literature gives us a life lesson sometimes or it so similar to our lifes.


message 40: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Jesus wrote: "I know that the definition for literature is going to be different for everyone, but for me literature is when you read books. Literature is helpful because when you read books it helps you develop..."

Jesus, I also believe literature is when we read books and it helps develop our reading skills. Imagine the world without books and without literature it would be so different from now. It takes a big role in our lives and helps understand and comprehend everything better. I agree with your our lives are surrounded by literature.


message 41: by Alexa (last edited Jan 23, 2015 09:15AM) (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Gilbert wrote: "I would like to understand literature as a way to preserve, enlighten, and express an idea, theory, or a fact using literary tools such as poems, novels, biographies, bibliographies, etc. Literatur..."

Gilbert, I was glad you pointed out how universal literature truly is. You mentioned how it is meant to be reflected upon and each individuals understanding of it would be different, which is something that I didn't consider when thinking of the purpose of literature. It opened my mind a little more to the importance of literature in history.


message 42: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Erick wrote: "What is literature? Literature is a way to express ourselves; it is a way of sharing your thoughts and experiences to the world. Many people write books to share their experiences thought their li..."

Erick, I found your post very interesting due to fact that you mentioned reading as a gateway or "escape". It got me thinking how in one point in history literature was the source of entertainment that lead to other forms of art such theater plays based on famous works.


message 43: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Gilbert wrote: "I would like to understand literature as a way to preserve, enlighten, and express an idea, theory, or a fact using literary tools such as poems, novels, biographies, bibliographies, etc. Literatur..."

Hello, Gilbert. I like that you said that literature is an art form. In fact, I nearly said the same thing. As you said, literature will always stimulate unique thought and bring about countless opinions and beliefs. From reading the same book or watching the same play, different people will each interpret the works differently and in that way I think literature is art.


message 44: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Miguel wrote: "Literature is any type of written material. It can be used to inform, persuade, or entertain. Literature also has its own group of categories by genre like movies and music. For example, horror, fa..."
hey Miguel after reading your definition of literature I had a better understanding of it.


message 45: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Risa wrote: "Literature is a source of expression in the form of writings, such as: poems, novels, plays, etc. Whether the writings are from many years ago or present day, human beings have used literature to e..."
risa I agree with you when you say that literature is an expression because most of the people that publish books are actually expressing themselves through books and novels.


message 46: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Christa wrote: "Literature is a way for people to create a lasting record of their ideas, lives, emotions, and experiences through written words. Throughout history many civilizations have used writing as a way to..."

Hi Christa! I like the way you explained what literature means to you, and I agree. Many written literature teaches us about the days back then, historically. I believe it makes us enjoy and cherish the literature by the way it's expressed and written.


message 47: by Christa (new)

Christa Lopez | 24 comments Christina wrote: "Literature to me represents a language, culture and tradition as well as history. In my opinion, it is creative writing and thinking where you are able to express your feelings and thoughts towards..."
I totally agree with you Christina. Reading definitely helps us to expand our vocabulary and sharpen our memory as well. I also like how you included that our own personal issues and experiences can be reflected through novels. These are prime examples of why literature is important, and can be very influential within our life.


message 48: by Christa (new)

Christa Lopez | 24 comments Erick wrote: "What is literature? Literature is a way to express ourselves; it is a way of sharing your thoughts and experiences to the world. Many people write books to share their experiences thought their li..."

Hey there Erick! I really like how you explained that literature can be a stress reliever. Books really can take our minds into a whole new way of thinking as we read the different stories and lessons of an author's characters.


message 49: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Eric wrote: "When I hear the word literature I think back to a time long ago. I think of poets such as Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe. I also think of a language that I could not comprehend. Though some of this..."

Hi Eric! I used to think literature was just things Shakespeare and those well known writers would write. Until I started reading a little of different literature stories, and not all are how Shakespeare writes. As I read some of these stories I came to a conclusion that not all literature is boring and hard to understand.


message 50: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Cavazos | 13 comments Yadira wrote: "Lillian wrote: "What is Literature? In 200 words define literature. When developing your response, think about the purpose, the usefulness, and the importance of literature in our lives."


Literat..."


Hey Yadira, I agree with you when you say taking history and literature taken at the same time can help better understand things at the time. Things have changed a lot from then and now and it does help us see how different things were!


« previous 1
back to top