You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > aHarmony reporting thread (Team A)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 29, 2015 11:48AM) (new)

Stephanie Link to questions and rulings

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Spreadsheet link
http://1drv.ms/1JPZRDi

So, are you ready for your Mystery Date? Who will it be?

A famous actor?
A brainiac?
A drama queen?
Or, God forbid, Justin Beiber?
This Toppler is one week long, and will begin on February 7th at noon EST and end at noon EST on the 14th.

A few rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For the last two use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
3. Each book must be at least 175 pages.
4. Toppler books can count toward the monthly challenge, the group theme read, and the yearly challenge if they qualify.
5. You may plan ahead and choose books for the challenge, but you are not restricted to those books. You may swap them out at will..

So, let’s see who your mystery date is, and learn a few things about them.

What does your date look like? (For these books, the item must be on the cover.)

Read a book with a human head (or a human looking alien). Mostly the head, as little of the body as possible)
Read a book with a pair of eyes
Read a book with a torso, a frontal view
Read a book with a pair of legs
Read a book with a pair of shoes (you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes)

You never know where your Mystery Date might be from, your own neighborhood, across the country, or halfway around the world.

Read a book set in Africa
Read a book set in South America
Read a book set in Canada
Read a book set in an alien world or on some type of spaceship
Read a book set on an island

What does your Mystery Date do for a living? Do they have a job, live on family money, or sponge off of others?

Read a book where a main characters has a job that you’d like your date to have
Read a book where a main character has a job that you don’t want your date to have

What are you date’s hobbies?

Collecting comic books – Read a book that’s part of a series
Shooting – Read a book with some serious gunplay, or some type of weapon being used
Reading – Read an author that’s new to you
Clubbing – Read a book from another participant’s tbr
Role Play Games – Read a book with a geek as a character, or where gaming takes place
Crafting – Read a book with a main character does some type of craft for a hobby

There are plenty of well know couples. Is there one where you’d like to substitute yourself for one person and keep the other to be your date?

Adam and Eve – Read a fable, fairytale, myth, legend – can be original or retelling.
Samson and Delilah – Read a romance
Royce or Hadrian and Janice – Read a nonfiction
Romeo and Juliet – Read a YA book
Bonnie and Clyde – Read a crime thriller
John and Lorena Bobbitt ( If you’re not familiar with this couple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and... ) - Read a book that takes place during a war and the war has a large impact on the characters.
Barbie and Ken – Read a chick lit book
June and Ward Cleaver – Read a post-apocalyptic book
Mickey and Minnie Mouse - Read a book where an animal is a main character
Shrek and Fiona – Read a book with a royal character
Johnny Depp and Debra – Read a sexy book
Claire and Jamie Fraser (Outlander) – Read a book with time travelling, or where the perspective changes between the present and the past
Shaggy and Scooby Doo – Read a murder mystery
Will Arnett and Amy Poehler – Read a humorous book
Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett (Star Trek) – Read a science fiction book
Gomez and Morticia Addams – Read a paranormal book with ghosts, witches, or wizards
Daniel Craig and Connie – Read a magical realism book
Bella and Edward (Twilight) – Read a horror book
Lois Lane and Superman – Read a biography, autobiography, or memoir
Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet – Read a historical fiction book
Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark (Hunger Games) – Read a dystopian book
Buffy and Angel – Read a book with vampires or werewolves
Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund (Casablanca) - Read a classic
Robin Hood and Maid Marian – Read a fantasy (no vamps, werewolves, witches)
Brokeback Mountain’s Jack and Ennis – Read a book with forbidden love, because of gender, race, class, religion…
Hazel Grace and Augustus – Read a tearjerker
Almeta and Kermit - Read a book where a human and other life form interact. (Vampire, werewolf, witch, robot, alien)

Points are going to be easy to calculate.

10 points -> Each book read

Bonus:
25 points -> Complete all "What does your date look like" tasks
25 points -> Complete all tasks for "Where your date is from"
30 points -> Complete all tasks for "What are your date's hobbies?"

*Each section may be completed more than once, but bonus points will only be given once.

There are 25 secret bonus points that will be awarded to one team at the end.

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Love the picture!

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Jan 26, 2015 12:17PM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments REMINDER: Please keep this thread for reporting only

Any chat / questions etc please keep to our other thread, which will greatly help me keep track of what's going on.

Also as well as reporting what book you read, please state what category it fits

Thanks in advance :)

message 4: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Finished my first book, Mustat sydämet. It fits the Bonnie and Clyde – Read a crime thriller -task.

message 5: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments Is that the first book for our team? Way to go, Camilla!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Elizabeth | 95 comments Awesome, Camilla!!! That was super fast. :)

message 7: by Danny (last edited Feb 08, 2015 12:44AM) (new)

Danny (dannyx) | 48 comments Completed my first book: Shrek and Fiona – Read a book with a royal character

The Emperor's Soul 175 pages

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Carrie. For head on cover

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Woohoo!! Way to go everyone!!

message 10: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Finished When Earthlings Weep... for sci-fi

message 11: by Danny (last edited Feb 08, 2015 12:44AM) (new)

Danny (dannyx) | 48 comments Completed second novel : Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund (Casablanca) - Read a classic

The Alchemist 197 pages

message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Second one down: Diary of a Mad Bride for Will Arnett and Amy Poehler – Read a humorous book.

message 13: by Kazen (last edited Feb 08, 2015 05:13AM) (new)

Kazen I finished my first book, The Last Werewolf - 346 pages. I'll count it towards Almeta and Kermit (humans and werewolves interact) for now, but it could also go towards collecting comic books, shooting, clubbing (on Kat's TBR) or reading if the need arises. ^^

Eta: page count

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. For living on an island

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments Finished Cinderella Geek for Hobbies - Role Play Games.

message 16: by Lynn (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:11AM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Read Hell Cop which I could have quite easily used for my Torso Category but you'll see why I haven't in a minute. I've put it down as Fantasy.

For Torso Category
Safe in His Arms by Renae Kaye
Couldn't get a more perfect one, right? :)

message 17: by Lynn (last edited Feb 08, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Spreadsheet updated to here

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Elizabeth | 95 comments I just finished my first book, Kill Shot, for the Shooting category :-)

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Elizabeth | 95 comments I finished my second book It's Just a Dog for the category to read something from another person's TBR.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have finished listening to Anne of Green Gables for Read a book set in Canada.

message 21: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Third one down: Kaislikon kätkössä for Shaggy and Scooby Doo – Read a murder mystery.

message 22: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3721 comments I finished The Extra Large Medium for Gomez and Morticia Addams, a book with ghosts.

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Finished The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
Quite a few categories it can be put in (think we'll be saying that for a lot of books) but I've put it in YA for the moment.

message 24: by Lynn (last edited Feb 08, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Spreadsheet updated to here.

We've read 17 books so far, well done everyone! :)

PS - I'm heading to bed, see you all tomorrow.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Finished #3 Rendezvous with Rama for living on spaceship

message 26: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments Finished my second book - Glimmer of Hope for Hobbies: crafts.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments I finished my first book. The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection, for a book set in Africa. Setting is Gabarone, Botswana.

message 28: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Finished my second book Alice Close Your Eyes

It was supposed to be for romance but it really wasn't romantic at all. I mean seriously... ick. But it does take place on an island in the northwest in the Seattle area so please count it as taking place on an island.

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments MASH: A Novel About Three Army Doctors for book taking place during war.

message 30: by Lynn (new)

message 31: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments Finished my third book, Moonlight Wish for Famous Couples - Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett.

message 32: by Lynn (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:06AM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Finished The Rebuilding Year, which I've put down as a sexy readromance.

Spreadsheet updated to here.

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie finished A Shot in the Bark for the Reading task, read an author that's new to you.

message 34: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Finished What She Left Behind for a book with time travel.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Finished Room 702 for either Reader or Brokeback Mountain because it does fit both, lol

message 36: by Kazen (new)

Kazen Finished Seduced By Darkness for Buffy and Angel - vampires.

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Finished Grandissimo: The First Emperor of Las Vegas. I'm going to put it biography, it could be non fiction as well

message 38: by Danny (last edited Feb 10, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Danny (dannyx) | 48 comments Ok so I finally came up for air long enough to report lol (this is seriously addicting!)

Book 3: Brown Girl in the Ring {256 pages} - Daniel Craig and Connie – Read a magical realism book

Book 4: Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters {176 pages} - Royce or Hadrian and Janice – Read a nonfiction

Book 5: Hawk & Fisher {213 pages} - Almeta and Kermit - Read a book where a human and other life form interact. (Vampire, werewolf, witch, robot, alien)

Book 6 is calling my name so I'm off again. Hope everyone is having even half the fun I am!

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Elizabeth | 95 comments Awesome work, Danny! I wish this was my vacation week so I could do nothing but read. Sigh!

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Jennifer wrote: "Finished Room 702 for either Reader or Brokeback Mountain because it does fit both, lol"

I've put it down as Brokeback because I don't know what you mean by Reader.

message 41: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Read Lost Lake
I would have put it as magical realism but that's been covered and I'm trying to knock off as many categories as possible and went with Chick Lit instead.

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Brilliant work everyone! :)

message 43: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:04AM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I think reader was under the hobbies or something. maybe it was one of the bonus ones, sorry

haha. i just went and looked, its Reading not reader, lmao

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Jennifer wrote: "I think reader was under the hobbies or something. maybe it was one of the bonus ones, sorry

haha. i just went and looked, its Reading not reader, lmao"

Nope, you've still lost me! lol

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Lynn wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I think reader was under the hobbies or something. maybe it was one of the bonus ones, sorry

haha. i just went and looked, its Reading not reader, lmao"

Nope, you've still lost ..."

Author new to you would be the category.

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I already have that one covered with the book I just finished, Shot in the Bark :)

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Unless mine would fit a different category that isn't filled yet? It was a murder mystery.

message 48: by Lynn (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:36AM) (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. For living on an island"

This has now been switched to MC has a job that you’d like your date to have

Jennifer and Stephanie, we'll stick to what we have I think.

message 49: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2674 comments Danny wrote: "Book 5: Hawk & Fisher {213 pages} - Almeta and Kermit - Read a book where a human and other life form interact. (Vampire, werewolf, witch, robot, alien)"

Gonna put this one as part of a series

message 50: by Lanelle (last edited Feb 10, 2015 09:10AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments I've finished reading my fourth book, Bubba and the 12 Deadly Days of Christmas for the Shoes task. I'm off the choose another book to read.

« previous 1 3