Start by marking “Diary of a Mad Bride” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Mad Bride

Diary of a Mad Bride

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  5,481 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews
Once I was a sane, levelheaded professional woman. Then I said “yes.” Now I am the lunatic bride I always made fun of!

What is it about getting married that turns normal people into total freaks?

A savvy, riotously funny novel, Diary of a Mad Bride is for anyone who has ever been a bride, is about to become a bride, yearned to be a bride, or suffered the sheer indignity of a
Published January 2nd 2002 by Delta (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Mad Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Mad Bride

rachel
Feb 22, 2012 marked it as abandoned
Every once in a while, I get this strong urge to read something that is the absolute opposite of everything I think is worthy and tolerable. It's the same impulse that drives me to want to watch The Glam Fairy once in a while, even though I don't wear makeup, don't own a single skirt or dress, and only comb my hair out of utility rather than style. I have less than zero interest in fashion, glamour, celebrity, or wealth, which is to say that I place far more importance on the quality of the inte ...more
Alison
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It was just what I needed during the midst of wedding planning. I could relate because I am not a person who has planned her wedding since she was a child but do want to throw a nice, small party that is meaningful. The parts about fixating on small details and trying to deal with all the different personalities in a family were hilarious! That being said, I don't know that I would have enjoyed this book as much if I were not coming to the end of my own wedding plan ...more
Shauna
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: newly engaged women
This was a laugh out loud book for me. I picked it up while I was in Colorado at a used book store. It is written in diary format of a recently engaged woman trying to plan her wedding on a fixed budget.... sounds oddly familiar. Her new fiance pretty much leaves all the planning to her and it just about drives her nutso.

I read this book in less than a day. It was such an easy and fun read and I felt like it is going to be me here coming up! I loved it!
Kelli
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have never laughed to hard out loud than with this book. I should not be reading this in public, but I was reading it while I traveled and the people in the airport must have thought I was nuts, they just kept staring at me, but I couldn't stop laughing, i was crying it was so funny.
Dani
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nette Unterhaltung für zwischendurch.
Melissa
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has got to be one of my most favorite humorous books ever. I can't remember when or how I even got this book but this one is truly a keeper. Anytime I need a pick-me-up, I just pick up this book and my day doesn't seem so bad anymore.

What really made me enjoy the book is Amy's narrative. The book is written diary-style, spanning almost a year, from Amy's boyfriend proposing to the day they get married. Her interactions, the dialogue is so funny and witty; it's a real gem.

The character
Melissa
Dec 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Marriages are made in heaven, but weddings are made in hell. What is it about getting married that can turn a sophisticated, level-headed woman into an obsessed wreck? That's what our feisty and so-self-aware heroine Amy wonders as her friends plan to tie the knot. In her opinion, these soon-to-be brides drop 100 points in IQ, lose all fashion sense, and dramatically increase their ability to cry. The whole thing sends shivers down Amy's spine. She vows that it will never happen to her!

But oh, h
Putri
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was found when i went to the library.
I've read the other book that called the diary of a mad mom-to be, and as i was expected this book is as funny and as "mad" as the other book.
This is a story of a career woman in her late 20 whom doesn't believe the fairy tale of marriage and yet having a "frantic" best friend who also getting married.
But when she decided to get married, with her looooong things-to-do list and the so-called financial problems and also family issues she's even more m
Indhira Adam
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: semua cewe terutama yang mau menikah,,
Yippie buku ini bener2 seru..
Have you ever wondered gimana rasanya jadi calon mempelai wanita.. iya how you will prepare your wedding.. what the colour that you will choose for the wedding for your gown, for the decoration.. even bunga jenis apa yang bakalan dipakai..

dan gimana rasanya jadi sahabat baik orang yang mau menikah hahaha.. harus denger segala curhatan dan tetek bengek masalah persiapan pernikahan dll, dsb.. bahkan sampe di telp lebih dari 10 kali per-hari dan harus pasang kuping buat
Laurel
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone planning a wedding
Shelves: read-in-2010, owned
This book was interesting and scary all at the same time. I am planning a wedding myself and at the beginning of the book I kept saying 'I've said that', 'I've done that'. This was definitely good to read early in the planning process. I know there will be certain thingsi will try to avoid.
Amy is an interesting character. She goes from anti-wedding chick to "the bride". I feel for her and her struggle between her job, her wedding and her fiancé.
It was nice to see however, that even if a lot wen
Michel
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Great chick lit for a married girl. Quick read, laughed out a few times, smiled through most of the rest. Not sure I would have enjoyed it if I was a single girl other than the opening several pages, which might have been my favorite. So much truth!! So much needless drama with weddings, yet as a bride it's so hard not to freak out over the little details.
Cute read, I definitely recommend for some light beach reading.
Maureen
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really though this was a great read. A friend who recently got married gave it to me, I couldn't put it down. It was hysterical, but will make you think twice before you lose control over flowers, or shoes for that matter. I recommend any one involved in any type of wedding planning check this read out.
Sherri Hunter
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
What a fantastic story! And it couldn't have come at a better time because I needed the laughter this book brought out. My only regret is that the story ended and that I waited so long to get around to picking this up off the shelf. I will be looking for more by this author and hopefully Amy and Stephen will be back in future books. The diary format made it a very quick read.
Jamie
Dec 12, 2008 added it
Very funny. My wedding was totally different, but there were some things I could relate to. Instead of arguing at the florist, we argued at home about the program and I got a face full of punch. Boy was I surprised. Anyway...very entertaining book.
Aayesha
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a light read that would make me laugh, this book delivered, when i picked up the book i also bought the second part, i was glad i did, this sits on my bookshelf now as a book i would read again and again.
Nauf
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting read about a bride preparingfor her wedding -& all the worries that go with preparing for a wedding. The writing style is witty and flows. A recommended read but not to a bride, it'll probably make the bride-to-be too scared of weddings :P
Kathryn
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ofcourse I have to give this book a 5 star rating. This was the first book I read when I was a senior in high school and really got me into the chicklit type of books.
Not to mention it's really really funny
Tracy
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Denise loaned me this book. I thought it was excellent. It described a lot of the feelings that I have about wedding planning. It was awesome to read about other insane thoughts! And it was excellent to show that in the end, they did end up married.
Lynette
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. Typical chick-lit novel full of hilarious moments, from a bunch of savvy women in New York.
Lisa Dunckley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and funny book! While the chick lit plot of the trials and tribulations of planning a wedding is not an original plot, Diary of a Mad Bride is charming. The book is in diary form, almost in a texting format—which makes it funnier.

Amy loves Stephen, and of course accepts when he proposes to her. Despite vowing to NOT be a “bridezilla” to her friends and family, she of course becomes completely obsessed with planning her wedding. And her friends are not helping. Neither are her family members
Dhani
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Ini masih tentang sebuah buku lama yang saya beli di Pameran Buku Jakarta( 30 Mei 2003) dengan tema yang ternyata masih tetap aktual sampai kapan pun.Novel ini ditulis oleh Laura Wolf, dengan judul Buku Harian sang Calon Pengantin.

Amy, seorang karyawati sebuah majalah klas 2, memutuskan untuk menikah nyaris setahun ke depan, setelah Stephen, pacarnya, melamarnya di sebuah antrian saat mereka akan menonton bioskop.Dari buku Beautiful Bride, sebuah buku tentang panduan perkawinan, Amy menemukan ad
Tania
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I should note that I'm not married or engaged and I still thought this book was hilarious. I think the thing that made it work for me is that I have known brides like Amy. I've been a bridesmaid in a couple weddings like this. I know how a woman can, despite the best of intentions, let her wedding plans take over her life. The character of Amy worked for me because even as she got more and more consumed with wedding madness, she did try to keep up with her friendships and her work. She had a bit ...more
Drebbles
Oct 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006
Told in diary form by Amy and spread out over the course of a year, "Diary of A Mad Bride" is an occasionally amusing novel about the events leading up to the marriage of Amy Thomas and Stephen Stewart. As the book opens, Amy's friend Mandy is in a dither about getting married and Amy swears that she'll never get married. Of course, she quickly changes her mind when Stephen proposes but she then swears that she won't be as uptight about her wedding as Mandy was. Naturally that too changes, as Am ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Chic Lit at it's most typical, complete with a predictable ending. It's basically like having your best friend rant about the stresses of her wedding. Although it's hard to believe that anyone has that much bad luck (literally, everything goes wrong for this girl), there are certainly some nuggets of truth that can promote nods among many a past bride (such as the crazy prices for everything, the family drama, sticking to a budget, the out-of-control guest list, the nonchalance of the groom, etc ...more
Allison
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
One of the good things that can be said for this book is it's a quick, light read. It's also, to the author's credit, creatively written with believable characters.
The problem is none of these characters are likeable. Particularly the narrator. It might just be that I have trouble relating to a self-absorbed Manhattanite whose existence and troubles are very far removed from my own. But to me, Amy seems very petty and full of entitlement, even before she goes off the deep end with bridal plannin
Debbie
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but came away feeling a bit disappointed. It was occasionally witty and kind of cute, but both the beginning and the end fell flat for me.

Ms. Wolf's writing style was hard to get used to, and I found the first 50 or so pages to be silly and not very interesting. I nearly gave up on it, but forced myself to go further and it did become more fun and interesting. Her use of footnotes annoyed me from the start - Even though some were humorous, most were not. I thought
Robert Beveridge
Laura Wolf, Diary of a Mad Bride (Delta, 2001)

How much can I possibly say about this book that doesn't boil down to "my god, you women are REALLY like this?" It's the fictional diary of a thirtysomething woman who is absolutely against the idea of marriage...until she is proposed to. After that, she sinks into exactly the emotional mess for which she criticized friends earlier. Murphy's Law reigns throughout. Hilarity ensues.

The main good thing about the book: it's a fast, easy read. Excellent b
Iris
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in 2001, I'd been engaged for a little over a year at the time, so I instantly connected with the heroine and the time period. A the time I was planning a my wedding and alternately anxious for the big day and wanting to say "screw it, let's just head to Vegas and get married by Elvis!" That being said this book hit the spot. Reading it I felt as if the author were telling my story. Except in my story you'd have to add the drunken sorority sister who was so glad I didn't s ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Another (very) light summer read, this time about Amy Thomas who's content being single, happily dating Stephen, and wondering what has come over her friend Mandy, who's getting married and spends all her time planning and talking about her wedding.

Then, in the concession line at a movie theater, Stephen asks Amy to marry him (what an awful way to stage one's proposal!), and suddenly she has her own wedding to plan, and it's overwhelming.

Her wedding to-do list grows from a modest 20 items to a
Andreia Silva
Não tendo lido há bastante tempo livros chick-lit achei que este livro seria uma boa escolha para me reencontrar com o género e para me fazer passar uns bons momentos de literatura descontraída! De facto, é um livro leve e com uma escrita simples mas, peca por ser demasiado leve!

O enredo não tem nada que se lhe diga. É, tal como o titulo indica, um diário de alguém que abominava o casamento, Amy, mas que, após ter recebido o pedido, aceita entrar no mundo dos casados. Mas o livro não é mais do q
2015 Reading Chal...: Diary of a Mad Bride by Laura Wolf 2 21 Dec 29, 2014 03:52AM
  • For Better, for Worse
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Fashionably Late
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Apocalipstick
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Monkey Business
  • The Bachelorette Party
  • Fourplay
  • The Not-So-Perfect Man
  • Asking for Trouble
  • The Ex-Factor
  • Lost & Found
  • Girls' Night In
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Pink Slip

“The funny thing is that although we place so much energy and importance on our wedding day, it isn't the biggest day of our life. The biggest day of your life is every day thereafter. Because it's not the pledge to love someone that matters, but the act of fulfilling that pledge that is most important. In other words, it's only just begun.” 39 likes