Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > MG reads that are back in-print and can be purchased as new!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 177 comments I felt that way when I bought the Betsy, Tacy and Tib books for myself last year. The ones I read were old and dusty in my Jr. High Library when I read them.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Betsy-Tacy-...

message 2: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Great thread idea! I just picked up a copy of the The Pushcart War from the library which is a reissue of the book with original illustrations. It has that clever but gentle humor of children's literature from the 1960s -- only a couple chapters in so far, but loving it!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) The New York Review has a children's collection of more obscure classics. Here's a link to the page for the ones suggested for 7-9 year olds: http://www.nybooks.com/books/browse/a...

They have at least two wonderful titles by James Thurber - yay!

I don't mind old & dusty books, so much, as I don't like being able to find some of them at all. Thanks for this thread!

I *loved* Pushcart War when I was a kid and read it several times.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
Many, if not most, of my childhood favorites are long out of print (some may have been out of print even when I was a child. Our library wasn't very well funded, so we had a lot of old books!).

I really hope they bring Sue Barton back!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Those lizzie skurnick editions are charming.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Beth--the author was Susan Dore Boyleston. The series was Sue Barton--she was a nurse, and the series follows her from her student days through adulthood. I think it was written in the 20s and 30s--back when nurse training was a hospital training course, not a college degree.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Bother--Helen, not Susan.

message 8: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 177 comments This makes me laugh because when the third Harry Potter book came out I had a friend ask, "do your boys like the Harry Potter books?" And I said, "I don't know, but I might recognize a title if you tell me what he wrote?"

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Helen Dore Boylston
Sue Barton, Rural Nurse, for example.

I'd love to explore those.
Also Charley, byJoan G. Robinson is on my list of books to look for, not found yet in my usual sources.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) btw, Beth, love your new avatar

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Cheryl, sadly, Sue Barton is out of print and largely gone from libraries. I have been keeping my eye out for some affordable copies, with no success).

message 12: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 177 comments Back in about fifth grade I fell in love with books about a girl named "Donna Parker" like "Donna Parker in Hollywood" and I found a couple in yard sales but no where else