What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy is in the desert comes across an Entity/Ghost [s]

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lachlan (last edited Feb 26, 2015 03:12PM) (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments #21/1/2015#: All of what I am saying is from 5 years ago, so the story may be a bit distorted, but hopefully you get the idea of it and can help me!

"SPOILER WARNING" because all of this is basically a spoiler to the book. And be warned, I do not remember any of the Character names.

Ok, So back in 2010, when I was in Year 5, our teacher read a book to the class (It was a novel, not a Kids book)
This is what I remember it being about;

A boy/girl is out in the desert getting some water (I think) and then is startled by a Ghost or Entity, I don't really remember much after that, but there is some more, I think it is near the end of the book of somewhere in the middle, The character meets a girl in a sort of caravan (You know, the ones with the camels and people) the character starts to show some affection but unfortunately this girl dies, The character then asks the Entity/Ghost to resurrect her (Somewhere earlier on in the book this is explained although I don't really remember when or how, but I do remember the Entity/Ghost saying that it includes a huge risk of the person not being the same when they wake up) the Entity/Ghost does this but then when she looks up into the direction of this Entity, she runs off of the edge because they were in a cave or something during the resurrection. The Entity/Ghost I am pretty sure is invisible, and can only be heard by the Character, so when this happens the reader aka me back in Year 5 and the rest of the class starts to get suspicious of the Entity/Ghost due to what she screamed, which I am pretty sure she was accusing it of something evil even thou no one can see it.

I should also mention that it has a sequel, maybe even more, also the Cover of the second/first book (I don't remember) was a silhouette of a Man holding a leash walking with a camel connected to it.

If you want a reference to the cover of what I mean the best image I can find is this: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/silhou...

I will add edits if I remember any more of it.

#22/1/2015: EDIT#: I also remember that during the first book the Main Character goes to a fortune teller, or something like that, when this happens the Ghost/Entity refuses to go inside, as if it knows something, the Fortune teller then says that the character is being followed by a great evil (Or something similar).

#2/2/2015: Edit 2# It was definitely a male, because whenever I think back to it, I always remember the main character being referred to as a male. Hope that helps in some way or another.

#27/2/2015: Edit 3# I forgot to mention that he was getting water from the back off his house. I am pretty sure it was a tap, but it could be a well or a cranking tap.

message 2: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Does no one really have no ideas of any book? I mean, if I have missed any points please ask me.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Don't panic, only 14 people including you have seen your thread. It's early days.

message 4: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Don't panic, only 14 people including you have seen your thread. It's early days."

Is it still early days? I don't want to sound mean or pushy, it's just I have been looking for this book for ages, even before I posted this. I just have that feeling inside me of emptiness...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
It's still very early days. For that feeling of emptiness, I recommend a baked potato with sour cream or ranch dressing, a steak, and a side salad, followed by a slice of warm pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
No Lobstergirl--the OP needs a slice of warm chocolate chip pecan pie with French vanilla ice cream. That's what my Gran used to make for us when we would first get to her house to visit when I was growing up.

message 8: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Kris wrote: "The Desert in the Dining Room by Stuart W. Wells, III?"

Sorry, but it's not that book (Although that book is a good book). In the first book of this book series I'm talking about we don't get any back story on the ghost. Let alone anything that says why he is a ghost.

message 9: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Am I allowed to bump this?

Isabel (kittiwake) | 112 comments Hi Lachlan. Yes you are allowed to bump your thread once a month.

message 11: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Bump.

message 12: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Bump

message 13: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Bump... *Deep Exhale*

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valeriekemp) | 273 comments What country did you read this book in? That might help narrow the search. You say "year 5" which makes me think it wasn't the US.

message 15: by Dung Beetle (new)

Dung Beetle (dungbeetle) | 19 comments Well, just for funsies...your first post reminds me of certain parts of a book called The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker. I think it was published too late to be the right answer, but you may like to read it anyway. It's pretty great.

message 16: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Valerie wrote: "What country did you read this book in? That might help narrow the search. You say "year 5" which makes me think it wasn't the US."

Australia, although I do not know the country of origin of the book, only that it was in English.

message 17: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Dung Beetle wrote: "Well, just for funsies...your first post reminds me of certain parts of a book called The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker. I think it was published too late to be the right answ..."

Might just give it a read, seems interesting hahaha

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 42 comments Can you ask your teacher?

message 19: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Charlotte wrote: "Can you ask your teacher?"

I kinda wish I could, but I'm in year 10 now, so I go to a completely different school, and even if I do go back for a meet up with Primary School Teachers, she has changed schools.

message 20: by Lachlan (new)

message 21: by Lachlan (new)

message 22: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4129 comments It's not: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... is it? I thought I could mention it since the Kirkus review speaks of magical jinn.

message 23: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Is it one of the books in the "Broken Land" series by Sean Williams?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/5172...

message 24: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Ayshe wrote: "It's not: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... is it? I thought I could mention it since the Kirkus review speaks of magical jinn."

No it's not, but thanks for trying.

message 25: by Lachlan (new)

Lachlan | 15 comments Tab wrote: "Is it one of the books in the "Broken Land" series by Sean Williams?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/5172..."

YES! That is it! Thanks sooooo much!

message 26: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments you're welcome!