North Yorkshire Library Service Book Group discussion

The Humans
This topic is about The Humans
The Humans > The Humans - intro thread

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Victoria Turvey-Sauron (radiantwrites) | 53 comments Mod
To make a new start for our bookgroup in 2015 I've chosen The Humans by Matt Haig. I'm about half way through and find it absolutely remarkable so far. Borrow, read, and post your thoughts here this month. - Victoria

Plenty of copies in county: http://capitadiscovery.co.uk/northyor...

Here's the blurb:

"Professor Andrew Martin of Cambridge University solves the world's greatest mathematical riddle. Then he disappears. When he is found walking naked along the motorway, Professor Martin seems different. Besides the lack of clothes, he now finds normal life pointless. His loving wife and teenage son seem repulsive to him. In fact, he hates everyone on the planet. Everyone, that is, except Newton. And he's a dog. Can a bit of Debussy and Emily Dickinson keep him from murder?"

To introduce it even better, here's what its author says about it:
"This is the book I am most proud of. I have never written anything like it and probably never will again. I have no idea if you will like it. I really hope you do. I am a nervous wreck about this one. I don’t really know why. Well, I do. Because it is personal. I put absolutely everything I had into it so if people don’t like it then they don’t like me, because all the best things I have to offer the world are inside its pages. I don’t want to tell you it is a book that features an alien in it, because you might not like books with aliens in it, and I don’t really. It is a love story and a murder story and a what-are-we-here-for? story. It is about humans. That is why I came up with the title. The Humans. See?"

Matthew Jones (matthew_jones) | 49 comments "In fact, he hates everyone on the planet. Everyone, that is, except Newton. And he's a dog." I'm on board already...

Rhiannon | 5 comments Just reserved it, can't wait to give it a try.

Welcome Rhiannon, are you in North Yorkshire?

Lizzy | 1 comments I read this book last year and thought it was amazing, it stayed with me a long time after I'd finished, especially the ending (but don't worry I won't spoil it!). I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

I will definitely be posting about it lots more. Getting near the end but not yet there!

Rhiannon | 5 comments Victoria wrote: "Welcome Rhiannon, are you in North Yorkshire?"
Hi and thank you :-) Yes, I'm in Harrogate. I've not done a book group before, so really looking forward to it & I'm glad you decided to kick it all off again for 2015.

You're welcome - we thought we'd have another go and any feedback or suggestions are welcome. It'll be virtual for now but if there's enough interest we might try to meet now and then!

Looks like there is also a spinoff, "The Humans: an A-Z" which has been selected for Books On The Underground: https://twitter.com/BooksUndergrnd/st...

I've found out that Matt Haig is from Yorkshire and lives in York, which can only be a bonus point for him.

Rhiannon | 5 comments Finished it this morning after a certain toddler decided 5.30 was the appropriate time to wake up! I really enjoyed it too. Not the 5.30 bit, the book. I don't want to accidentally add any spoilers for those still enjoying it, but I really liked the list of advice he did towards the end - I did a similar thing for my nephew years and years ago - it's a really interesting exercise to try - what advice would you put on your list? I seem to remember my main one was "question everything".

Rhiannon | 5 comments Victoria wrote: "Looks like there is also a spinoff, "The Humans: an A-Z" which has been selected for Books On The Underground: https://twitter.com/BooksUndergrnd/st..."

You can see from his own comments at the end of The Humans that writing the book has really got under his skin, so I'm not surprised he's gone on to add to it. I'll keep an eye out for that one.

There is a suggested list of book club discussion topics here, if anyone wants to take one and run with it. Some of them are a little schooly (A-level memories, anyone?) but perhaps you could adapt some of the themes:
http://books.simonandschuster.com/The...

message 14: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Brownlee | 5 comments I must admit I am struggling to get into this one I don't know weather it's the subject matter but I'm hoping that it is going to be like Forgive me, Leonard Peacock which I could not get into at all but preserved and I totally loved it by the end :)

It's entirely possible that it's not to everyone's taste - the style is certainly unique!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura Dinning | 3 comments I'm really enjoying it so far - shades of The Rosie Project - funny and engaging.