Start by marking “The Humans” as Want to Read:
The Humans

The Humans

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  39,214 ratings  ·  5,162 reviews
Body-snatching has never been so heartwarming . . .

The Humans is a funny, compulsively readable novel about alien abduction, mathematics, and that most interesting subject of all: ourselves. Combine Douglas Adams’s irreverent take on life, the universe, and everything with a genuinely moving love story, and you have some idea of the humor, originality, and poignancy of Mat
Published July 2nd 2013 by Simon Schuster (first published May 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Humans, please sign up.
Mommooshka The basic premise is a little predictable, but it is so well written and complex on multiple levels that it quickly rises about the "obvious". If you…moreThe basic premise is a little predictable, but it is so well written and complex on multiple levels that it quickly rises about the "obvious". If you are open to exploring human behavior, motivation, and emotional bonding on a deeper level you will love this fun but also thoughtful book. If you are looking for pure Sci-Fi adventure, you will find other books more to your liking.(less)

·  39,214 ratings  ·  5,162 reviews

Karen Cole
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In August 2012 my brother committed suicide. In the dark days and weeks immediately after his death I read almost incessantly. I couldn't sleep because when I closed my eyes all I could see was his body (I had to go to the mortuary with my father to formally identify his body.) When I was awake I read so I could bear the raw grief ripping at my heart. I believe that it's thanks to books I survived those days, I'm not sure how I'd have coped without books giving me a respite from my at times over ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5? This book totally surprised me!

DON'T READ THIS IN PUBLIC THOUGH

I started reading this on the bus and couldn't stop giggling like a madwoman! In this book, you're following an alien sent to stop human mathematical progress. He steals the body of the human he's sent to kill and we get to discover humans through his eyes. His mission is to kill anyone that might know about the mathematical equation but things don't go as planned...

It quickly becomes more than just a funny book and I don't wan
Riku Sayuj
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-fiction

“I know that some of you reading this are convinced humans are a myth, but I am here to state that they do actually exist. For those that don’t know, a human is a real bipedal life form of midrange intelligence, living a largely deluded existence on a small waterlogged planet in a very lonely corner of the universe.”

Encountering the Alien

This must be one of the most muted and personal alien invasion stories that you will come across. As the narrator admits, this is more magical realism than sc
Brendon Schrodinger
Annet
Peanut butter sandwiches go perfectly well with a glass of white wine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

Funny, hilarious, sad, loving and wise story with a message. An alien comes to earth to destroy evidence of Professor Andrew Martin who has supposedly solved a major mathematical problem. Martin is killed and the alien takes his place. At first he looks with disdain and surprise at the 'weak' and 'unwise' 'Humans'. But then he starts liking and loving his wife, gets involved in the strain
Helene Jeppesen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars.
I. Loved. This. Book.
Granted, the plot is somewhat unrealistic and silly - it is after all about an alien who is put on Earth to complete a mission - but said alien’s observations on humans are spot on and very interesting as well as hilarious. We humans do weird things all the time without thinking about it, and it’s books like this one that make you realise that and make you stop to wonder why.
I found this novel to be very clever, observant, and highly thought-provoking. Matt Hai
Kayla Dawn
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome. I chuckled so much and I barely ever do that while reading a book. "Andrew" as a character is absolutely genius. I don't really know what to say, y'all should just read it!!!
Mark Matthews
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The world is divided into those who have read this book and those who have not. Those who have read this book are shaking their heads in the affirmative right now.

It is not so much the story, but read it for that. It is not so much the characters, but read it for that too. It is for the statement it makes on the flawed yet wondrous nature of humans. This book will resonate with you long after you read it. (if not, we can't be friends.) You will be convinced the author himself is from another wo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I think Matt Haig is going to be one of my new favourite authors.
°°°·.°·..·°¯°·._.· ʜᴇʟᴇɴ Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος ·._.·°¯°·.·° .·°°° ★·.·´¯`·.·★ Ⓥⓔⓡⓝⓤⓢ Ⓟⓞⓡⓣⓘⓣⓞⓡ Ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓤⓢ Ταμετούρο   Αμ
Το Σύμπαν αποτελείται από δισεκατομμύρια ηλιακά συστήματα. Δισεκατομμύρια προϋποθέσεις για ανθρώπινη ζωή σε όλες τις βαθμίδες εξέλιξης .Όποιος κατορθώνει να φθάσει ένα άλλο άστρο, αυτός βρίσκεται σε μία ανώτερη βαθμίδα εξέλιξης αφήνοντας πίσω του την γήινη ..

Ένα υπεργαλαξιακό αλληγορικό παραμύθι για τη ζωή πάνω στον πλανήτη γη αλλά και άλλες εξελιγμένες μορφές ζωής που κατοικούν εκατομμύρια έτη φωτός μακριά απο το δικό μας γαλαξία.
Ίσως κάποια στιγμή η ανθρώπινη ευφυΐα καταφέρει να ανακαλύψει πως
Phrynne
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
Matt Haig is now up there in my list of favourite authors. Each time I read one of his books I am so impressed by its originality and his amazing imagination.

The Humans is told from the point of view of an alien sent to Earth to dispose of new mathematical understandings which could help the human race to make significant scientific advances. The fun in the book is due to this alien's opinions of us, the way we look and the way we live.

Problems occur when our friendly alien finds he cannot car
Nicola Gipson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘ You can’t find happiness looking for the meaning of life. Meaning is only the third most important thing. It comes after loving and being’

‘ The Humans’ begins with an unnamed alien invader assuming the identity of Professor Andrew Martin, a mathematician whose study of prime numbers has attracted the unwelcome attention of a faraway race in possession of intellect and technology far beyond our own.
The doppelgänger has arrived because the real Professor Martin had made a discovery that could
Carol (Bookaria)
This book is a wonderful, funny, and insightful look at humans from an alien perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

I appreciated it even more after reading the author's acknowledgments at the end of the book.

UPDATE 01/03/18: It's been four years since I read this novel and it still remains one of my all-time favorite books.

It's original, imaginative, and profound. I highly recommend it. Hope it brings you as much joy as it has brought me over the years.
Emma Blackery
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Absolutely incredible.
Gabby
My full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shEKa...

This fucking book! I picked this book up because I saw it recommended by a booktuber, and I wasn't expecting that much going into it. But I can honestly say this is a new favorite book of all time. This story follows an alien who gets put into the body of this man named Andrew Martin. The reason he gets put in his body is because Andrew Martin has a made a mathematical breakthrough and the aliens have determined humans are not ready for the
Jill
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Premise: A socially awkward alien lands Earthside, naked on a Cambridge street…

And for a while, as Matt Haig builds from this premise, it’s funny! The Humans begins quite wonderfully with the arrival of an alien who can barely disguise his contempt towards humans and believes clothing is optional. The humor works because of our extraterrestrial narrator's terrific voice, which is matter of fact and superior. For example, the first piece of “literature” he reads is an issue of Cosmopolitan, which
Chesca
THERE IS HOPE IN HUMANITY.

Told through the romantic and curious perspective of an unnamed alien, Matt Haig’s The Humans is an honest and mostly-optimistic view on humanity, showing that hope and greatness could be found in our imperfections as individuals and as a whole.

Let this book help you rethink about life and see its beauty. Give it a moment and you would not regret it!

||Swaroop||
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
~ Emily Dickinson

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! This is a wonderfully written and well narrated book. A book for everyone, especially the humans.

"For those who don't know, a human is a real bipedal lifeform of mid-range intelligence, living a largely deluded existence on a small water-logged planet in a very lonely corner of the universe."

This book is all about why are Humans, so human...
It
Vikki VanSickle
XxTainaxX
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you can't overlook scientific inaccuracies or take a step out of your belief zone, this book is probably not for you. I decided not to look too deep into the technicalities and to focus on the deeper message and as a result found I enjoyed this story. The unique perspective of an alien who goes through a range of human emotion adds depth to some of the issues and imperfections of our kind. He discovers, learns, loves, makes mistakes, and finds his way in this complicated world. I liked the dr ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Humans, Matt Haig
The Humans (Canongate, 2013) is a funny, compulsively readable novel about alien abduction, mathematics, and that most interesting subject of all: ourselves. Combine Douglas Adams’s irreverent take on life, the universe, and everything with a genuinely moving love story, and you have some idea of the humor, originality, and poignancy of Matt Haig’s latest novel.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز یازدهم ماه آوریل سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: انسان ها، هیج جا خانه نمیشود؛ نویسنده: مت هیگ؛ مترجم
Beverly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
*I got my husband to read this, and he in turn got his co-worker to read it. I believe I'm finally doing good in the world.

“Let's not forget The Things They Do To Make Themselves Happy That Actually Make Them Miserable. This is an infinite list. It includes - shopping, watching TV, taking the better job, getting the bigger house, writing a semi-autobiographical novel, educating their young, making their skin look mildly less old and harboring a vague desire to believe there might be a meaning
Andrew Smith
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I don't mind taking a gamble on Audible Daily Deals - they're usually only a couple of quid and if they don't work out then it's less than the cost of a cup of coffee wasted.

I usually know quite early doors if a book is going to excite me, bore me or simply get on my nerves. This one was of the last variety. I'm sure this is a great book for the right person: its ratings are high everywhere, so it's obviously floated a few boats. But for me it just became irritating, very quickly.

The basic set-
Gavin
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I absolutely loved the premise of this story so my expectation were sky high. Unfortunately that lead to a whole lot of disappointment on my part as this story turned out to be a distinctly average read.

The humor fell just a bit flat and I never really connected with any of the human characters on an emotional level. The alien host who stole Andrew Martin's body was actually the biggest success. He was suitably alien and I did enjoy how he grew to appreciate that humans had some good aspects as
Lou
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read my Interview with this author @ http://more2read.com/interview-with-matt-haig/ he chats on writing,his life,and an adaptation.

My Review

Humans,
the divine comedy they represent,
with all their delusions,
with all their fictions,
with all their religious beliefs,
with all their sex, drugs and rock and roll,
with all their technological advancement,
with all their moral decline,
with all their race and class differences,
with all their love for money and fame,
with all their lies and truths,
with all the
da AL
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When an alien who's intent on killing us makes us more human! Clever premise carried lyrically through to the end. Audiobook performer Mark Meadows takes it a yet higher level.
Maryam
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Advice for a human.

81. You can't find happiness looking for the meaning of life. Meaning is only the third most important thing. It comes after loving and being.

82. If you think something is ugly, look harder. Ugliness is just a failure of seeing.”

I liked this book. it was funny and smart. At some point it got on my nerves but overall I enjoyed it.
It seemed to me that the writer wants to show us earth and life on it are beautiful no matter what.

“Advice for a human

86. To like something is to ins
Marita
Brilliant!

An alien's perception of the human race. His view is initially very cynical, but as the alien becomes more familiar with humans his perception changes as he becomes more human himself. Eventually the once emotionless alien sheds a real human tear and learns to love. He says: "I felt blue with sadness, red with rage and green with envy. I felt the entire human rainbow."

This book is an amalgam of mathematics, science fiction, philosophy, poetry and is also very, very funny.
Ümit Mutlu
”Yeri gelmişken belirteyim, Dünya’da bir grup insanın bir araya gelip içgüdülerini bastırmasının sonucuna medeniyet deniyor.”

Aslında iki hafta önce başladığım ve üç günde bitirdiğim, acayip akıcı ve iyi yazılmış bir kitap bu; sadece ben siteye girmekte biraz tembellik ettim. Neyse. Olur öyle.
Kendimi bildim bileli –ki bu çok eskiye uzanmaz– hep şunu düşündüm: Gündelik yaşayışımızdaki tonla şey aslında ne kadar da anlamsız. Tencere tutacağı anlamsız, yiyip içtiklerimiz çoğunlukla anlamsız, ahlak k
  • The Machine
  • Bird Brain
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Everybody Jam
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Bone Dragon
  • The World of the End
  • Dogs of War
  • Jack Glass
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
  • The Lives of Tao (Tao, #1)
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds
  • Terra
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Time Traveler's Almanac
  • The Flight of the Silvers (Silvers #1)
  • The Cusanus Game
  • The Turing Test
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more
“Humans, as a rule, don't like mad people unless they are good at painting, and only then once they are dead. But the definition of mad, on Earth, seems to be very unclear and inconsistent. What is perfectly sane in one era turns out to be insane in another. The earliest humans walked around naked with no problem. Certain humans, in humid rainforests mainly, still do so. So, we must conclude that madness is sometimes a question of time, and sometimes of postcode.

Basically, the key rule is, if you want to appear sane on Earth you have to be in the right place, wearing the right clothes, saying the right things, and only stepping on the right kind of grass.”
247 likes
“Make sure, as often as possible, you are doing something you’d be happy to die doing.” 207 likes