Book Lair discussion

Suggestions > Organizing Buddy Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
Currently, we are organizing buddy reads by posting in Monthly Reads folder, in the current or next month topic.

I'd like to ask you guys if we think our current system is the best way to organize the buddy reads or if you would prefer to open a specific topic on Buddy Reads folder where people would post which books they want to do Buddy Reads on.

The advantage of doing this is we would not be limited to monthly planning but I do think it would make it harder to access the info regarding which requests are open and which are closed, find what we want amongst all the posts.

What do you think? Do you see a third option?

message 2: by Ana (last edited Jan 21, 2015 04:31AM) (new)

Considering there is only one post in Book Discussions folder perhaps we could consider merging the two folders?

The title of each topic would consist of the name of the book and, instead of the starting date, one of the following three tags: OPEN, ONGOING and CLOSED.

OPEN: We are still taking people to do the buddy read and trying to come up with a date that works for everyone;

ONGOING: the buddy read is in progress;

CLOSED: The buddy readers have finished reading the book and the discussion is over.

However, the issue of organizing the buddy read still remains, as I don't feel it's very feasible to open a topic for each of the books everyone wants to do a buddy read on (I know I have a huge list). So I still think we could use some separate place to figure out if people are interested in one, before opening a topic.

Please let me know what you think of all the suggestions. Thank you.

message 3: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments My suggestion:

- keep the current monthly post. It is always interesting to see what people are planning to read, and can give some ideas.

- additionnally, in the "Buddy Read" folder, you can create a "suggestions & organisation" topic, that you would stick to the post. People can use this one to organize the buddy reads or suggest other ideas if one pops up and is not time sensitve (some R4R are).

Also, I am against marking a buddy read as CLOSED. Indeed, I feel that everyone should be welcome to post about the book and continue discussion, even if most of us have finished reading it. So I like to idea to just have a starting date. It gives a time indication, but if there are any late-comers, they are still welcome.

message 4: by Ana (new)

I agree, but the closed tag doesn't close the topic, only the buddy read. The point of merging the Buddy Reads folder with Book Discussion is precisely to use the same forum and topic to keep discussing a book. I didn't phrase that very well. The CLOSED description should read The buddy readers have finished reading the book but people are still welcome to comment on it.

I'm a bit confused about the stick to the post part. Do you mean stick that topic in the Buddy Reads folder?

Thank you for your suggestions!

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think adding a CLOSED tag is uninviting. IT's nice to feel welcome whenever you are ready to read and then comment even if no one else is (actually) currently reading.

message 6: by Ana (new)

Ok, no tags then.
Any thoughts on the other things mentioned?

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I think an actual Buddy Reads folder is a good idea, but I like kind of "stumbling" on possible buddies in other threads. It leaves more openings and doesn't feel so formal. I think too much organization is...well, too much. ;)

message 8: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments When I stay "stick", is keep it on the top of the folder's posts.

I like stumbling on buddy reads too. That's why I'm thinking more of somewhere to iron out the details. Let's say that people agreed to do a buddy read following a discussion in another topic, they can then move here to discuss dates, etc.

message 9: by Ana (new)

Alright, so one topic at the top of the Buddy Reads folder where people post what they want to do Buddy Reads on, correct? Would anyone mind if I titled it Set up your buddy reads here!, just so that it's more obvious?

And the rest keep as it is?

message 10: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Sounds good.