Book Lair discussion

Buddy Reads > Set up your buddy reads here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 206 (206 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Ana (last edited Jan 22, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

Ana (anaslair) | 2312 comments Mod
Please use this topic to ask for buddy reads as well as check out current suggestions.

Make sure you include a link to the book by using the add book/author link and that you mention when you are available to start reading.

Once you have a buddy, open a topic following the instructions here mentioned: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Happy reading!

message 2: by Ana (last edited Feb 17, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Ok, let me kickstart this.

Between requests from authors to review books and Netgalley's, this is the list I have to go through. I am happy to do buddy reads of all of them.

Let me know if you are interested in doing a buddy read with me and when you can start:

Requests by author:
Lake Of Sins: Escape
The Last Sanctuary (there's already a topic open for this one, starting on Jan 28th: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)
Shadow Out of the Sky
Raising Riley

Netgalley (should still be available for download):
Astrum Divinus
The Supreme Human Being
The Galaxy Game
The Cutting Room: Dark Reflections of the Silver Screen
Elora of Stone
Dead Petals-An Apocalypse
A Gift of Ghosts
Hidden
Emissary
The Thirteenth Tower
Exodus 2022
Typewriter in the Sky
The Paper Magician
The Boy A Thousand Years Wide
Seed
Untrustworthy
Bald New World (BR topic: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)
Remake
Our Dried Voices
White Seed

message 3: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Who's in for A Clockwork Orange?
Probably during the second week of February.

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Me, me, me!

message 5: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Ana, please check what I suggested in the February thread.

I got Bald New World on netgalley too and am planning on reading it sometime by the end of February. It will be around the Chinese New Year, so hard to say how my reading will go at that time and if I will be near to a computer and internet connexion. But we can both read it, and I'll come and discuss it whenever possible, even if it's not perfectly synchronous with you.

I also have a question: it's the first book I got from netgalley, and there is a "50 days" accross it's cover on Adobe Digital Edition. Are the books we get from them usually limited in time? Or is the meaning something else entirely that I missed?

message 6: by Ana (new)

Sure Melas, I am available to read Bald New World whenever it is most convenient to you. That means both when you are able to read and post in the buddy read thread as you go along. I am in no rush whatsoever, as you can see I still have quite a list to go through. So when you feel you are available, just post here, with a few days in advance so I can finish whatever book I am reading then, since my availability varies a lot. Thank you for wanting to join me!

Regarding netgalley, I am not sure about the 50 days across the cover, but I know you can see the archive date in your shelf. From what I can gather, the book being archived only means that it is no longer available for download. So when you get confirmation that the publisher made it available to you, get it as soon as you can.

They still accept feedback after being archived though, which is why I want to get through all the books I requested. The books requested / feedback sent ratio is one of the things that appeals to publishers the most, and right now mine is very low because I am so far behind, so a lot of my requests are unfortunately being denied.

message 7: by Ana (new)

I just got confirmation my copy of Clockwork Orange got shipped. Is there a set date for the buddy read to start yet? I could have sworn I saw something about second or third week of february? How many people are available to do this and when?

message 8: by Melaslithos (last edited Jan 28, 2015 05:47AM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments No, we do not really have a set date, but I seem to remember it was more along the first or second week of February.

EDIT: There's a thread for it already, we should discuss the date on it.

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Aaron(Reblast) wrote: "I'd like to do a buddy read on RevivalRevival by Stephen Kingby Stephen King."

I read it very recently, so won't re-read, but would like to participate in your discussion if that's ok.

message 10: by Ana (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:38AM) (new)

Melas, what do you say about starting the topic for Bald New World for say February 26th? Do you think that should work for you? Obviously date is subject to change, but just wondering if you are okay with opening the topic and if you think that date is around when you'll be available, since you mentioned end of february?

message 11: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments OK, let's open it for that date. We can change it later if needed.

message 12: by Ana (new)

Alrighty thanks, done.
I also added the book to the group's Bookshelf. I really need to remember to do that with all buddy reads! It's a good way to call attention to other members about it.

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy (katysaunders) | 3 comments Anyone want to do a buddy read for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard with me?

message 15: by Ana (new)

Hi Katy, thanks for posting!

That book seems very interesting, it was already on my to read list, but unfortunately I don't plan on buying any more books in the near future since I have already so many to read. I hope you will find someone to read it with you! If not, please feel free to open a topic in Book Discussions folder and let everyone know what you thought of it - that way people will be able to post their own thoughts when they get to reading the book later on.

Hope you have a great day!

message 16: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments Katy wrote: "Anyone want to do a buddy read for Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard with me?"

You should propose a buddy read with an open date and see who is interested! It looks like a good book!

message 17: by Ana (new)

Hello, everyone!
A couple of authors have been kind enough to offer us their books in exchange for our reviews.

I would like to know who would like to do a buddy read for Foehammer and Ascendance and when.

I will most likely not be able to join in before March.

Here are the correspondant topics from the authors:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 18: by Ana (last edited Mar 04, 2015 12:04AM) (new)

Adding these titles I recently got from Netgalley to my already humongous list:

The Queen's Gift
Dark Vision
The Harvesters
Rememberers

message 19: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments I might be able to read with you, depending on when you want to set the start date!

message 20: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments Shoot me a PM when you start, or put the date up in a thread! Just so you know, I need probably 4-5 days before starting, because I have promised a read for review that I've put off a couple of weeks already.... It would be bad for karma to put it off any longer!

message 21: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments Um, what's IKR?

message 22: by Ana (new)

At some point I will want to order The Room and would love to do a buddy read of it, since I have heard from several people that it is a very thought provoking book. I am not going to get it for several months most likely, just wanted to throw it out there, see if anyone would be interested?

message 23: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Why not. If we do it, please warn me when you get it. I'll probably have to get the book from bookdepository and will need some time for it to reach me.

message 24: by Ana (new)

I have to be honest, I will wait for the price to drop in bookdepository... There are so many books I need to read before it that I figure I will wait to buy it and hopefully the price will drop, since it's still a relatively new book.

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've read The Room and thought it was amazing. I don't know if I would re-read along, but I would love to join in the conversation, and it's one I own which always make that easier.

message 26: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments @Ana: I have lots and lots of books to read too, and never heard of this one before you mentionned it. So I'm fine with waiting.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary June (mary_june) | 2 comments Hey guys, I’m looking for reviews on my suspense/thriller, OTZI’S CURSE, that’s having a free give-away on Amazon on March 13-15th. That’s this Friday through Sunday. It’s the first big promotional push I’m making on my first ever story, so I’d love to get all the honest feedback I can. Thanks so much!
Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Otzis-Curse-Mar...

message 28: by Ana (new)

I just got One Last Thing from netgalley. It looks interesting and completely different from what I usually read. Would anyone be interested in a buddy read?

message 29: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments I'll have to sit this one out - I just got a Lady Sun from the author for a review!

message 30: by Ana (new)

I don't have any dates in mind, just wondering if anyone is interested at all.

I also got these titles from netgalley recently, in case anyone is interested:

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 9) by Jonathan Strahan The Best Science Fiction and Fa... by Jonathan Strahan

Where A Novel by Kit Reed Where: A Novel by Kit Reed (Preview Excerpt)

Infinity Bell (House Immortal, #2) by Devon Monk Infinity Bell by Devon Monk

The Feminine Future Early Science Fiction by Women Writers by Mike Ashley The Feminine Future: Early Scie...by Mike Ashley

Hannu Rajaniemi Collected Fiction by Hannu Rajaniemi Hannu Rajaniemi: Collected Fiction by Hannu Rajaniemi

Most of them should still be available for request.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (srasheed) I can't decide between Americanah (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) or Room) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...…)....
Anyone read either of these and would like to recommend, or to help me choose one by being my buddy reader?

I read about 40-7o pages/night, so I would want someone who is at about the same range.

message 32: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Hi Ana,

From your list, I also got the following books:

Our Dried Voices by Greg Hickey White Seed (Seed World, #1) by Kenneth Marshall The Feminine Future Early Science Fiction by Women Writers by Mike Ashley Hannu Rajaniemi Collected Fiction by Hannu Rajaniemi

So I'd love to do a buddy reads of those, but not just now. I have other books I'd like to read first.

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sandra wrote: "I can't decide between Americanah (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) or Room) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...…)....
Anyone read either of these and woul..."

Room was very good and a super quick read. It surprised me.

message 34: by Ana (new)

Sounds great Melas, any idea what month you'd be wanting to do any of those?

message 35: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Well, seeing my reading list, my planning and publication/archive dates of these books, I'd say around May/June for The Feminine Future: Early Science Fiction by Women Writers and Hannu Rajaniemi: Collected Fiction, and maybe July/August for Our Dried Voices and White Seed. But it's hard to be precises.

Moreover, the two firsts I mentionned here are collections of shorts. I usually read those over a long period of time, reading other books in between the different short stories. I'll have to change my habits if we do a buddy read of those.

message 36: by Melaslithos (last edited Mar 27, 2015 08:09AM) (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Ana, I followed you example, and added in this group all the books I have for review.
There are in the first comment on my page. I'm just realizing it's a huge list and I am wondering how I'll ever get to the end of it! I really need to stop hoarding books...

message 37: by Ana (new)

Ah ok I understand about the short stories. Maybe we can do buddy reads of the others, we'll see. I will try to remember to save those for later, just let me know when you're available!

message 38: by Melaslithos (new)

Melaslithos | 1645 comments Well, I am still ready to do buddy reads about the short stories. I can adapt and change my way of reading them. Anyway, let's see when I get to them!

message 39: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (srasheed) I just started Room if anyone wants to join me :)

message 40: by Ana (new)

Hey guys, I am posting here to ask if anyone besides me and Leigh wants to participate in the buddy read of The Bone Wall, which is available for free at Amazon for the weekend.

Leigh, I will need at least a week as well, let's see what others say and decide on a day when we are closer to the date?

message 41: by Ana (new)

Umm I think I will be more than a week, if that is okay with you, Leigh and everyone else.
I need a break from this genre...

message 42: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Stuart | 348 comments Let know what works!

message 43: by Ana (last edited Apr 07, 2015 12:35AM) (new)

I intend to read Line of Descent first and then Aftermath. Got both books from the authors. Maybe the bone wall afterwards or in between those two. Let me know if you want to do a buddy read and when.

message 44: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (srasheed) I'm reading look who's back (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...). Very tongue in cheek. I think I may be missing a lot of inside German jokes about modern day pop culture there, but despite this, it is still very humorous.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (srasheed) Kandice wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I can't decide between Americanah (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) or Room) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...…)....
Anyone read either of..."

I finished it....it was really good.

message 46: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sandra wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I can't decide between Americanah (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) or Room) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...…)....
Anyon..."

Room? I really was surprised by it. It was so popular so quickly, and often those sorts of books disappoint, but this one didn't.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm starting Bruiser by Neal Shusterman and saw it marked "to but- to buy soon" on Ana's shelves. It's on sale for $1.99 on barnes & Noble right now. If you don;t have a Nook you can download a Nook app for free and read it that way.

If anyone is interested...

message 48: by Ana (new)

Thanks for the tip Kandice and for checking my shelves, but I won't be buying any books before my r4r and netgalley shelves are cleaner.

I shall endure!!
... Hopefully.

message 49: by Ana (new)

So as I mentioned in the April topic I will be reading Edge of End next, since the author sent me the book in February.

If you want to do a buddy read with me, you can get the book for free here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 50: by Ana (new)

Leigh, I am finished with Edge of End. Do you want to start The Bone Wall today or shall I read Line of Descent first?

« previous 1 3 4 5