The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #202 - Ready Player Two

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1702 comments Mod
We wrap up The Sparrow. We loved it and it made us sad. We're also blown away at the quality of books being made into TV shows. Well, only a pilot and a trailer but so far so good. But should you risk reading a book and seeing a movie or TV show too? Maybe not!

https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=...

message 2: by Rob (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments PSA: the entire southern reach trilogy is available for a single audible credit. So if you bought it on kindle and went for whisper sync deals, it still might be cheaper to just pick up the audio trilogy edition.

PSA2: when I went to pick up the whisper sync myself, I really couldn't stand the narration. Reviews describe it as monotonous. But other reviews say it's really appropriate for the plot? So I don't know. Everyone should give the sample a gander before downloading.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments PSA3: The Kindle version (US) is currently $2.99: http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-No...

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Rob Secundus wrote: "PSA: the entire southern reach trilogy is available for a single audible credit. So if you bought it on kindle and went for whisper sync deals, it still might be cheaper to just pick up the audio t..."

Ugghhhh wish I had known that!

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Rob Secundus wrote: "PSA: the entire southern reach trilogy is available for a single audible credit. So if you bought it on kindle and went for whisper sync deals, it still might be cheaper to jus..."

Just return the first book if you bought it for a refund. Assuming you bought it from audible. Then you can purchase the trilogy version.

I posted that in the announcement thread too, but you'd probably bought it already before it was announced. :)

message 6: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Is Man in the High Castle so good that I should NOT watch the pilot and wait for them to make the rest of the series? Does it end on an insane cliffhanger?

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4191 comments Blargh. Not getting into The Sparrow (though it is what I voted for, so I have myself to blame) and not really digging what I'm reading about the next pick. I hope the next SF pick jives for me better. And that this month's pick goes better than I fear.

message 8: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3608 comments Mod
Thane wrote: "Is Man in the High Castle so good that I should NOT watch the pilot and wait for them to make the rest of the series? Does it end on an insane cliffhanger?"

It does end on a cliffhanger. I think it is so good you should watch it now, "and" watch the pilot again when the series starts. I'd expect to see it within 6 months (hopefully)

message 9: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4191 comments On an unrelated note to my earlier comment, when I saw "ready player two" as the title, a small part of me wondered if V was announcing that she was pregnant because three of my gamer friends have announced that they're expecting with "ready player two" or "player two loading" riffs.

message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments Wow, this is crazy. I ordered Annihilation 2 hours before it was announced. I CAN SEE THE FUTURE!!!

message 11: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments terpkristin wrote: "three of my gamer friends have announced that they're expecting with "ready player two" or "player two loading" riffs."

My brother and his wife went with the whole "next gen" theme when they announced their pregnancy.

message 12: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments terpkristin wrote: "On an unrelated note to my earlier comment, when I saw "ready player two" as the title, a small part of me wondered if V was announcing that she was pregnant because three of my gamer friends have ..."

I hear a friend of a friend expecting twins did a "loading players three and four" announcement picture.

message 13: by Rob (last edited Jan 22, 2015 07:12AM) (new)

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Yeah, I would expect generally speaking that one's spousie should always be player 2

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Ready Player Part Deux?

message 15: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Tamahome wins.

message 16: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Read Player two- There's a mix tape for Ready Player One-
http://iurl.no/26g86

I guess he'll need one for the Armada and Ready Player Two.
I'm not sure there are that many "listen-able"songs from that decade.

message 17: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Hooray! I just got The Sparrow from the library! Wait. We're done? NOOOOOOOOOOO

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Thane wrote: "Is Man in the High Castle so good that I should NOT watch the pilot and wait for them to make the rest of the series? Does it end on an insane cliffhanger?"

If you watch it, that increases the odds they'll make the rest.

Unlike the mysterious black box stuffed full of made-up numbers, pixie dust and bullshit that is the Nielsen ratings, places like Amazon and Netflix actually track real viewers and their responses.

message 19: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Trike wrote: "Thane wrote: "Is Man in the High Castle so good that I should NOT watch the pilot and wait for them to make the rest of the series? Does it end on an insane cliffhanger?"

If you watch it, that inc..."

Hadn't considered that. Pretty much decided to watch it anyway.

message 20: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments What was your deleted comment Thane? Confess!

message 21: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Tamahome wrote: "What was your deleted comment Thane? Confess!"

I hit the reply above Trike's comment instead of below, so I was actually replying to myself! I want to hide the fact that I talk to myself just a bit longer...

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments When someone finishes their statement and drops the mic, how much does that damage the mic?

message 23: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Tamahome wrote: "When someone finishes their statement and drops the mic, how much does that damage the mic?"

If it's a shure sm58, not much.

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Veronica wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "When someone finishes their statement and drops the mic, how much does that damage the mic?"

If it's a shure sm58, not much."

It's the floor you have to worry about. My boss dropped a Sennheiser a few months ago and actually cracked a ceramic tile. Mic is fine.

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Good thing it wasn't his foot.

message 26: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1594 comments The EV635 you see in a lot of news interviews is known in the industry as "The Hammer". But personally I always liked the SM58's better.

message 27: by Warren (last edited Jan 25, 2015 02:56PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments You never drop a a mic......
until someone hands you their Neumann U47

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Brown (browneagle44) | 7 comments Rob Secundus wrote: "PSA: the entire southern reach trilogy is available for a single audible credit. So if you bought it on kindle and went for whisper sync deals, it still might be cheaper to just pick up the audio t..."

"Monotonous" describes my feelings for most audio reads. It's rare (at least with the ones I listen to) to get one that feels lively :)

message 29: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Robert wrote: ""Monotonous" describes my feelings for most audio reads. It's rare (at least with the ones I listen to) to get one that feels lively :)..."

I had that problem when I began with audio books, but what I started doing was listening them to 1.25x or even 1.5x and it was so much better! Specially books "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep" or "Angelmaker"